Looking Ahead to Spring, Summer, and the Future - Page 4 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Looking Ahead to Spring, Summer, and the Future

Comments

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Zinchmwah.2067 said:
    No one's going to read this, but I just wanted the devs and the rest of the staff to know that I wish them good luck. Take your time and have fun with it. You guys do an awesome job at releasing story content to the game.

I read it ;)

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

Alliances came with Fractions in the first game, so you may get that with this one.
    I am expecting it to be on the same lines as POF. Look at Amnoon, that was just a small camp with tents and now it's a big city. There will be some cantha looking stuff and I hope there is new places we never went too aswell, so we are ALL happy.
    So i'm not expecting a carbon copy of Cantha, it may not even be called that!

• Here is what I'd love to see in the expac:
    -Choice between Kurzick and Luxon
    -Return of AB, JQ and FA
    -Open World PvPvE (like in WoW)
    -Neutral Cities
    -Scrambled communication between the two factions
    -Sailing ship/fleet as guild hall
    -Ship combat like in Assassin's Creed (and others) but with guild mates on deck
    -Fleet vs Fleet game mode (alliance battles on the sea)
    -Various ship types, a guild builds its ship(s)
    -GvG ship battle (guilds use their own ships vs one another)

Love to hear what you think :)

• Tyncale.1629Tyncale.1629 Member ✭✭✭

I am stoked, is all I can say! :)

• Dantert.1803Dantert.1803 Member ✭✭✭

Give us Tengu with the expansion pleaseeeee

• Lincolnbeard.1735Lincolnbeard.1735 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would like to see the first two you mentioned.

I would hate to see kitten kaineng slums, the ugliest maps in the entire gw franchise.

The degenerate

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

Give us tengu race plox.

• Tyncale.1629Tyncale.1629 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:
    I would like to see the first two you mentioned.

I would hate to see kitten kaineng slums, the ugliest maps in the entire gw franchise.

I dunno, looking back on my playtime in GW1, those slums are the ones imprinted in my brain. I did not like how most of it was just facade, but it did ooze a certain atmosphere. I can see your point though. I think GW2 is a much more beautiful world then GW1 anyway but that is just me.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Zaklex.6308 said:
    Cantha...how boring...just want I wanted to see, a Jade Sea no longer turned to Jade and the Echovald Forest looking like a real forest and not the petrified landscape it was...there's so many other places we could go both West of the current Maguuma Jungle and East of the Blood Legion Homelands, places we know nothing about or what inhabits them, but I guess a lot of people will be happy now. Also not saying I won't play it, just not that excited for it.

I don't think they will be completely reverted back to their original state, only partly.
    That alone could lead to some very interesting maps to explore ^^
    Those are 2 areas of Cantha I am most excited to see again personally.

• Woo hoo, all aboard the hype train!!!

I am so excited, and can genuinely say I haven't been this excited about the game for a long time!

Just wondering, what the community consensus is regarding more information?

Would you prefer to wait for say 3 months and then get a lot of substantial information in one go, (for example all details about an entire elite spec) or for them to drip feed little tidbits of information as teasers more frequently, for example, just the name of an elite spec, but nothing else ?

I prefer the latter, as the speculation on unknown factors is half the fun! :)

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:
    Cantha...how boring...just want I wanted to see, a Jade Sea no longer turned to Jade and the Echovald Forest looking like a real forest and not the petrified landscape it was...there's so many other places we could go both West of the current Maguuma Jungle and East of the Blood Legion Homelands, places we know nothing about or what inhabits them, but I guess a lot of people will be happy now. Also not saying I won't play it, just not that excited for it.

I don't think they will be completely reverted back to their original state, only partly.
    That alone could lead to some very interesting maps to explore ^^
    Those are 2 areas of Cantha I am most excited to see again personally.

From what I recall, and I could do a search for it, but it was stated that both areas had reverted back to their original states in the intervening 250 years since the end of GW1(due to a combination of the Elder Dragons rising and Shiro's second death, at least that's what I'd attribute it to).

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• rylien.3824rylien.3824 Member ✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020

I have ideas designing 3 Elite Specializations of the game :

• Warrior => Monk (stick as weapon)
    • Mesmer => Dreamer (Daggers)
      Use F1/F2 to switch between Dream and Nightmares and invoke dreams or nightmares instead of illusions.
      They can use their daggers in remote spells

• Necromancer => Demonist/Warlock (sword)
      Inspired by the Warlock of Blade & Soul, description :
      Harnessing dark magics, the Warlock is a medium-ranged caster that relies on empowered Talismans—floating supernatural writings that can be consumed or unleashed to great effect—to protect or attack. Through their Talismans they primarily focus on summoning visceral and nefarious restraints and weapons, like spikes and chains.
      While the Warlock can be considered a glass cannon, they have a number of ways to keep their enemies at bay, not the least of which is their ability to summon a giant demonic Thrall to finish off their enemies. By keeping enemies at a distance, marking them with limited-time debuffs, and mastering their lengthy ability cooldowns, a Warlock can be a difficult—but rewarding—martial art to master.
      Their flamboyant attitude is matched only by their deadly cunning, but catch a Warlock off guard and their cocky expression could be wiped from their face; just keep an eye out for the giant demon.

@ArenaNet Team.4819

• coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020

I just hope we get a nice storyline and continue with the darker approach to it.
    Also beautiful maps 😍
    And yeah new city please! We haven had an actual new city in a long time. Since pof maybe?

• @Lily.1935 said:
    With all the bad news that's been happening lately in other parts of my life I'm hyped to see an Expansion. But as always I'm going to air on the side of Cautiously optimistic.

Here are my Hopes:

• New Elite specializations
    • New Weapon types
    • New Core skills
    • New Profession Ritualist
    • Massive Landmass surpassing the original Factions campaign.
    • New Races, Largos and Tengu
    • New Dungeons
    • New Raids
    • More character customization in faces, hair and eyes
    • Lots of new weapon's and armor skins
    • Elite specialization questing. (side story where you need to earn your right to advance the spec)
    • Quality story

Here's what I expect:

• New Elite Specializations
    • Moderately sized Landmass
    • New Raids
    • New Fractals
    • More character customization in faces, hair and eyes
    • Moderate amount of new weapon and armor skins.
    • New mount
    • New masteries
    • Extra Character slot for premium buyers
    • New Load screen
    • Quality story

Now I honestly don't have high expectations for this expansion. I hate to be a Debby downer on it. I suspect it'll be a solid expansion. I don't expect it to be as engaging as HoT was for its open world but I do expect it to be better for open world than PoF. I also suspect the story will be top notch. I honestly can't see the story quality going down at all The new elite specs will be a lot of fun for sure. I suspect a few things to show up. Like the Assassin but probably not ritualist. How the ritualist will show up, I suspect it'll be a type of NPC and not playable. The divide in the player base is a bit too strong for it to be given to either Revenant or Necromancer, too much controversy, best to be avoided. I still look forward to the expansion for sure. it'll be fun. I don't expect it to blow me out of the water.

Now my main hope is that this has been in development for a while now. And we're seeing this closer to completion as opposed to announcing it like they did with HoT.

More specialization is crazy, the more class have an MMO, but it is unbalanced, it does not help you have a variation class, If you don't have the equipment for all this, the result is unbalance. What shouldn't be more is the Elite specialization variant. And in my opinion, the Elite specialization was what killed Gw2, making it a very disconnected game, because you have to create a build not above the profession above the Specialization, and this is terrible, because the profession loses meaning ... An example of failure of the specializations, can be clearly seen in the profession of engineer, There are so many variants of which the entire profession has weakened.

• In Guild Wars 2 Wiki it is described that the effect of the JadeWind has been reversed with the second dying of Shiro. Especially I am worried that it is said that the Jade Sea turns to water again??? I dont know where this Info is coming from but I hope it does not mean the Jade Wind is literally reversed. To me the JadeWind was a transformation of the material it went through. Its permanent.

What I hope to see is the Echovald Forest is conquered back by nature. Ofcourse two hundred years means that stone trees will be covered with ivey... new trees break through the stone surface... here and there in the thick of the stone wood which is overgrown by a new lively wood you can see some stone animals... and so much stone is also a resource that could have been used.

This also counts especially for the Jade Sea. So much Jade. I would love to see that a City has been build out of Jade. So there is something like a harbor city like Venice just in asian style, with houses, towers, bridges, city walls made out of jade. So the quarry goes into the sea, froming canals and is filles with water.

True unique environments. Build on it and dont reverse it. Build on GW1 and dont destroy it.

• Blur.3465Blur.3465 Member ✭✭✭

@coso.9173 said:
    I just hope we get a nice storyline and continue with the darker approach to it.
    Also beautiful maps 😍
    And yeah new city please! We haven had an actual new city in a long time. Since pof maybe?

This. Really hoping for story to keep on that dark approach. I really loved that 'miserable' atmosphere we had with GW: Factions. Undercity was one of the most iconic locations, that place creeped the heck out of me.

@Nogothanc.5014 said:
    In Guild Wars 2 Wiki it is described that the effect of the JadeWind has been reversed with the second dying of Shiro. Especially I am worried that it is said that the Jade Sea turns to water again??? I dont know where this Info is coming from but I hope it does not mean the Jade Wind is literally reversed. To me the JadeWind was a transformation of the material it went through. Its permanent.

What I hope to see is the Echovald Forest is conquered back by nature. Ofcourse two hundred years means that stone trees will be covered with ivey... new trees break through the stone surface... here and there in the thick of the stone wood which is overgrown by a new lively wood you can see some stone animals... and so much stone is also a resource that could have been used.

This also counts especially for the Jade Sea. So much Jade. I would love to see that a City has been build out of Jade. So there is something like a harbor city like Venice just in asian style, with houses, towers, bridges, city walls made out of jade. So the quarry goes into the sea, froming canals and is filles with water.

True unique environments. Build on it and dont reverse it. Build on GW1 and dont destroy it.

And this!
    Build on what GW1 gave us and make it even better! :)

• ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

Luxon and Kurzick got subdued by the emperor and the land was unified. Though it is little known about the latest developments. Guess we will see. Also there is the rise of Orr (apparently) the DSD/Bubbles/Steeve in this area AND the Dominion of Winds. So what I can imagine is a new race - the Tengu - starting in the Dominon of Winds and going back to their homeland in Cantha, trying to reclaim their lands since the emperor - Usoku - is xenophobic and human centric. I'd say cool idea and Anet - contrary to all naysayers (me included) - showed us that they eventually do things no one expected (mounts, cantha, holy frack!).

• Jura.2170Jura.2170 Member ✭✭✭

@Tazer.2157 said:

@Jura.2170 said:

now can we please be in more than 5 guilds?

more mailbox space, character slots and bank tabs?

honestly there's so many quality of life improvements that should be in the game

Being a free to play game, they will probably monetize the mailbox space. But they can give us a additional slots for the ones that buy the expansion.

well, I was meaning, can they let us have more?

so like, atm we can only have 10 bag slots, but can we have 15?

we can only have 70 character slots, but can we have 100?

and bank tabs, can we have 25 instead of 17?

please make a Taimi voice mail pack
    my QoL wishes

• neoteo.3975neoteo.3975 Member ✭✭

How about the elite specs of this expansion be one set of elite specs from another profession at your choice and able to switch, like the secondary profession in gw1 😁

• Blackarps.1974Blackarps.1974 Member ✭✭✭

@Fire Attunement.9835 said:
    Spring is fast approaching—with summer hot on its heels—and it’s time for some updates on what’s next for Guild Wars 2!

Are we ever going to get an actual update (more than just what is mentioned casually on the WvW streams on Thursdays) on the WvW restructure? Is it really not even planned for Q2 2020? Information would be appreciated!

• Ashamir.9574Ashamir.9574 Member ✭✭✭

Thank you for this.

I'd love to see tengu becoming a thing. I'd love to see Steve become a thing. I'd love to explore Cantha.

This is the most excited about GW2 I have been in a few years.

• Heibi.4251Heibi.4251 Member ✭✭✭

Can't wait to revisit Cantha!

Henge of Denravi Commander
    CA/CH/HOD/AIR

• imma give some hopeful feedback:

new race: tengu

• they have a capital city IN core tyria and its veiled in mystery
    • long wanted playable race since gw1

elite specs: thief (assassin) - revenant? (ritualist)
    -i think youre gonna have to make dagger dagger for assassin be a different set of skills than core thief, effectively overriding them. because theres no way you can make an assassin and not have dagger dagger

-for ritualist, i think youre gonna have to give them 2 weapons: scepter and focus. a scepter with any normal rev offhand would be really odd. if not that, you can do the thing from thief and just make staff abilities different when youre in the ritualist spec. oh and their spirit would OBVIOUSLY be master togo

OR new weapons completely but tbh i highly doubt that because you would have to create new skins and new skills for all professions

• nargilli.6987nargilli.6987 Member
    edited March 13, 2020

Well ok, nice to have as a summer festival the "Dragon Bash" again among us (even in a winter map and without a dragon slain) but the real summer festival was supposed to be the "Festival of the Four Winds", what about it?

• Taelac.7036Taelac.7036 Member ✭✭✭

@nargilli.6987 said:
    Well ok, nice to have as a summer festival the "Dragon Bash" again among us (even in a winter map and without a dragon slain) but the real summer festival was supposed to be the "Festival of the Four Winds", what about it?

It should show up in July, which is the first month of the third quarter. This announcement primarily focuses on the second quarter.

Good luck, have fun.

edited March 13, 2020

@nargilli.6987 said:

We usually get two festivals in the Summer now as we did last year. One in June and another going into August which is the next quarter

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• the question is....WHEN?

• Waisenpai.6028Waisenpai.6028 Member ✭✭✭

Hope we get some new character faces, hair styles and accessories in character creation. Gem store profit cough* More armor skins!

Sword Weavers are decent 1v1 vs non POF metas in wvw. Sadly sword still has low packet damage, very small range and is easy to read. Good luck catching holo, mirage, or firebrand if fleeing from battle. You will never catch the others. And chill from Reapers gibs you so hard.

• Schnuschnu.9857Schnuschnu.9857 Member ✭✭✭

Honestly, great news. But I'm still on the edge how I feel about this game. I played for ~7years and now me and my friends kind of fell out of love with the game (no real balance/power creep, no big new content etc). This announcement in combination with recent balancing gives me hope and I will at least keep an eye on the game. Now we need the alliance system and the future might actually look promising.

• Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Varg Vikernes.7582 said:
    the question is....WHEN?

I don't see it coming till 5 years later... if the world doesn't end by then.

Icebrood Saga is just ramping up with the latest episode, and unless they are prematurely ending Icebrood which is going to be a waste, they shouldn't be working on Cantha anytime soon.

I'll give Anet credit for making nice Expansions chock full of content, and usually it takes even the best studio 3 - 4 years to finish an Expansion and release it.
    I just hope that Anet is ALLOWED to take their time with the expansion after wrapping up Icebrood Saga, because this is their one chance to win over all current and past players with one big amazing Expansion.

If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

ArenaNet must be better than the 'best studio' because Path of Fire was released 2 years after Heart of Thorns. :open_mouth:

• @Varg Vikernes.7582 said:
    the question is....WHEN?

Unless they really half kitten the release and/or draw resources away from S5 you're probably looking at 2023 at the earliest. The post suggests they're just at the concept stage at the moment.

The Commander will end you.

• @Blocki.4931 said:

@Anthonev.6452 said:
    So, nothing about WvW then, I guess Alliances is now a dead idea.

Absolutely no need to repeat the same thing over and over again. This was about new and upcoming stuff, not something we already knew about.

We already knew the festivals where coming, yet they repeated that and given that its been like 2 years since Alliances was first mentioned and next to nothing more said about it in almost a year, I hardly call that repeating the same thing over and over.

• doogal.9368doogal.9368 Member ✭✭

I mean, if I was pumped for the Crystal Desert I should be ready for Cantha, right?
    Maybe because I never finished it in gw1 .. but I'm not sure why exactly. The thought doesn't excite me.

What else could it be if not Cantha ? (from the image above)

• @Fire Attunement.9835 said:
    Spring is fast approaching—with summer hot on its heels—and it’s time for some updates on what’s next for Guild Wars 2!

wow!

shutup and take my money! :)

• @Yasai.3549 said:

the question is....WHEN?

Icebrood Saga is just ramping up with the latest episode, and unless they are prematurely ending Icebrood which is going to be a waste, they shouldn't be working on Cantha anytime soon.

I'll give Anet credit for making nice Expansions chock full of content, and usually it takes even the best studio 3 - 4 years to finish an Expansion and release it.
    I just hope that Anet is ALLOWED to take their time with the expansion after wrapping up Icebrood Saga, because this is their one chance to win over all current and past players with one big amazing Expansion.

It does not take 3-4 years to make an expansion. More like 1-2 years.

Golemancer Tixx - Far Shiverpeaks (EU). Achievement Hunter (+38k) ~550 on the Leaderboards.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2020

It's interesting seeing this change in development direction, when you couple it with this:
    https://massivelyop.com/2020/03/13/ncsoft-arenanet-vp-of-marketing-left-guild-wars-2-for-wargaming/
    I wonder, if Mike Z leaving had anything to do with it.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

@Yasai.3549 said:

the question is....WHEN?

It does not take 3-4 years to make an expansion. More like 1-2 years.

Yeah, Path of Fire came 23 months after Heart of Thorns so it took about 2 years of active development. With that in mind my guess is that we can expect it somewhere between Q4 2022 and Q2 2023.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Astralporing.1957 said:
    It's interesting seeing this change in development direction, when you couple it with this:
    https://massivelyop.com/2020/03/13/ncsoft-arenanet-vp-of-marketing-left-guild-wars-2-for-wargaming/

Wow. If true, that's disturbing.

• Witch of Doom.5739Witch of Doom.5739 Member ✭✭✭✭

Hallelujah! I've gotten very bored with GW2 in the last six months or so, but a third expansion will bring me back. Thanks for listening to us!

• doogal.9368doogal.9368 Member ✭✭

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Wowsers... sounds so intense.

Does this mean Icebrood Saga will end before summer/June?

• Martnor.1746Martnor.1746 Member ✭✭✭

That is wonderful news. I cannot wait to see a whole GW2 project. I hope every improvements (system, story telling etc) from all release to date are put into this expansion. Please take your time Anet! Art cannot be rushed! Show those who say that this game is in "maintenance mode" how much more there is to offer. I cannot wait.

• I think in order to call this an expansion there are a few things that it will have to have:

• Elite Specializations - I realize that this will probably cause additional difficulties with balance but this has been much asked for and very notably lacking in LS4 & Saga
    • Central Development Theme - in HoT the theme was the new framework for progression: Masteries, Elite Specs & Guild Halls. In PoF the central focus was mounts. This new Expac will need a central something for development whether that be housing, content hubs or something entirely different. I'm not a fan of the idea of housing but whatever they do it will need to be as compelling, as exciting as they were able to make mounts in PoF.
    • New Race (Perhaps) - there has been a lot of demand for Tengu & Largos as playable races. This is Anet's opportunity to include those. That said, all the reasons that they haven't introduced a new race yet probably will cause the same problems here.

Everything else they have been able to do already as "expansion like content." Of course we will see more of that same kind of content whenever this releases, but these three things are what will distinguish an expansion from expansion like content.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

A curious article

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2020

@doogal.9368 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Wowsers... sounds so intense.

Does this mean Icebrood Saga will end before summer/June?

No. It will likely be 8 episodes (9 if HoM doesn't get a scroll) spaced roughly two months apart on average. With festivals and other potential things that will delay it from being exactly every two months, it'd be Spring/Summer 2021 at the earliest. Given how long it has been estimate to have taken them to develop the previous two expansions, Q1 2022 if probably a safer bet although they could probably push for Q4 2021.

I'm going to assume that there will be another Living Story season to set up the expansion.

• Sajuuk Khar.1509Sajuuk Khar.1509 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2020

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    No. It will likely be 8 episodes (9 if HoM doesn't get a scroll) spaced roughly two months apart on average. With festivals and other potential things that will delay it from being exactly every two months, it'd be Spring/Summer 2021 at the earliest. Given how long it has been estimate to have taken them to develop the previous two expansions, Q1 2022 if probably a safer bet although they could probably push for Q4 2021.

I'm going to assume that there will be another Living Story season to set up the expansion.

There are 9 slots in the portal tome
    1. Grothmar Valley(Bound by Blood)
    2. Bjora Marches east(Whisper in the Dark)
    3. Bjora Marches west(Shadow in the Ice)
    The rest are unused as of yet.

There will be 8 episodes, since BbB was a prologue, if the HoT doesn't get its own scroll, 7 if it does.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

There are 9 slots in the portal tome
    1. Grothmar Valley(Bound by Blood)
    2. Bjora Marches east(Whisper in the Dark)
    3. Bjora Marches west(Shadow in the Ice)
    The rest are unused as of yet.

There will be 8 episodes, since BbB was a prologue, if the HoT doesn't get its own scroll, 7 if it does.

Does Bjora Marches take up two slots? You can't choose East Bjora Marches or West Bjora Marches as separate destinations so I don't see any real need for them to be separate.

That said, I don't know what happens if someone has only one of the two episodes unlocked, can they still explore the whole map?

• Sajuuk Khar.1509Sajuuk Khar.1509 Member ✭✭✭

@Pifil.5193 said:
    Does Bjora Marches take up two slots? You can't choose East Bjora Marches or West Bjora Marches as separate destinations so I don't see any real need for them to be separate.

That said, I don't know what happens if someone has only one of the two episodes unlocked, can they still explore the whole map?

From what That_Shaman has determined, yes, it takes up two slots.

The reason being you can have episode 1, and not episode 2, or episode 2, and not episode 1, so they need separate slots. The Episode 1 scroll takes you outside Jora's Keep. The Episode 2 scroll takes you to the western side of the mountains that divide the map. You can only have one in the portal tome book, but there are seperate slots for each one in the situation you don't have both.