In-Game Housing [Merged]

The home instance doesn't feel like a home though. In Everquest, Elder Scrolls Online, World of Warcraft, you customize your home, it's not premade and little to no customizations that Guild Wars 2 has right now.

Especially the home instance in Divinity Reach, it's basically a zone. I don't own the multiple houses in that instance.

They need to make a real home instance that actually feels like a home, and it should be customizable. Let me build my home, I don't want premade default that everyone else has too, that does not feel like a home.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

They never considered housing up until this point. I don't think they'll change their mind now.On the other hand, we have several places that are dedicated to player progression, we are about to get a new one, too, in Eye of the North. This is very much the extent ANet seem to be willing to go with personalised instances. And who knows, maybe Eye of the North will be more customisable than the others.

Part of the problem with asking for in-game housing is that can mean a lot of different things, and it's not always clear what each person wants from it. Which means there's a risk Anet might get totally the wrong idea and give us a housing system which isn't actually what the majority of players wanted. I think anyone requesting this needs to be more specific about what features, exactly, they expect from a housing system.

For example Elder Scrolls Online's housing system is almost entirely about decorating with very little practical benefit. You buy an instance (with gold or real-money) which may or may not look like a house and then buy, craft or find furnishings to place there. But besides decorating there's not a lot you can do with it: read the books you've placed, use the crafting stations, run a DPS check on a training dummy or store items in just one of the many types of chest, but that's it. They're not even that great for role-playing because you can't really use a lot of the furnishings; some (but not all) beds let you stand on them and then use the /sleep emote to pretend you're sleeping, fully clothed, on top of the bed, and you can sit in the chairs. But all the food is purely decorative, and personalising a house to a character is challenging because most objects can't be placed there, only specially designed furnishings so you can't show off their weapons and armour or quest rewards, or even cool stuff they've found unless those are designed to be furnishings. (And I'm saying this as someone who has spent more gold and real-money and far more time than I care to think about on my ESO houses, it's not a bad system for what it is, just very, very focused on only one aspect of what in-game housing can be.)

If Anet enabled guild hall style decorations in home instances and made it easier for individul players to get decorations, basically giving us the same system ESO has, and declared player housing done I imagine a lot of people would be bitterly disappointed. Even if they gave us a larger choice of instances to decorate including ones which look like a house instead of a whole city district, and more 'homey' furnishings like beds and chairs and tables.

We've already got a large chunk of an entirely different system which is what some people think of when they ask for player housing: everyone has personal instances where they can place their own selection of crafting nodes, where NPCs from their characters story will appear and some NPCs who are part of collections or achievements will appear. We've also got one crafting station.

What if Anet expanded that, giving us a way to add a full set of crafting stations and other upgrades like bank access and a place to store the interactive books, but everything was automatically placed like the current upgrades and you couldn't move them. Would that be acceptable?

Or how about an RP home, like some other games have. A space which actually looks like a home (e.g. human house, sylvari pod house, room in a norn lodge etc.) where your character can return to sleep and eat and they get some minor buffs for doing so regularly. Maybe their family and friends can come and live there too and their dialogue changes between visits. But it lacks any of the features mentioned above - you can't decorate it and there's no crafting nodes or other practical features, because they're not part of this version of a housing system.

Ships on the Canthan Sea and Turtle land-wagons on the Jade sea as housing! I would love housing and I think Anet could be the company that finds that perfect balance between Housing in the Open world (UO, SWG, SotA) and fully instanced housing (EQ, LOTRO, EQ2, pretty much the rest).

Having the Home district become Housing would feel too instanced for me, tbh. I dunno, it is a tough nut to crack. I kinda liked EQ2's approach: instanced but the entrances to the houses were many and divers, scattered across the city. From a backdoor in an (open world) Inn, to a stately staircase to a mansion(differing in price off course). This would at least give a feeling of having a house in a certain neighbourhood in the open world. One entrance would off course give access to several players who had chosen that entrance.

Other then the locations/instancing, there are two other major concerns with housing:1) how do you get items, upgrades and props for your house: crafting, rare loot, achievements, BL Store? I think it should be a mix of these. I am afraid that Anet may focus too much on the Store and Achievements way, and too little on the loot. I think this is a great chance for Anet to finally introduce some truly rare loot, just like Sam (from the Ogre Wars). But this time the loot is not just for a lousy Achievement/gold but looting something that looks really cool in your house(showing off).Crafting could be good too, this would probably be a nice boost to the economy. Also, recipes could be loot or rewards from achievements. Also a nice mix of accountbound stuff and sellable items.

2) how well they are doing the customizability of your house. Probably the most important feature that will make or break it. Lots of flexibility, lots of upgrades, lots of variety, and ease of handling all that. I have faith in Anet for this, they did Mounts to perfection so I am hopeful. :)

@Danikat.8537 said:

We've already got a large chunk of an entirely different system which is what some people think of when they ask for player housing: everyone has personal instances where they can place their own selection of crafting nodes, where NPCs from their characters story will appear and some NPCs who are part of collections or achievements will appear. We've also got one crafting station.

What if Anet expanded that, giving us a way to add a full set of crafting stations and other upgrades like bank access and a place to store the interactive books, but everything was automatically placed like the current upgrades and you couldn't move them. Would that be acceptable?

When I first saw the Home Instance, Danikat's idea was what I envisioned Anet had in mind. I really like how your personal instance is fleshed out with NPCs, with new ones appearing as you play. I'd like to be able to choose a unit, say from 5 different ones already present in the instance, for my own, maybe with a free portal there.

I wish Anet would reduce the cost of some of the existing additions you can make use of there right now.

Also, as soon as you enter the home instance, there is a natural reduction in ping & uptick in fps, so if it had crafting stations, then that would be a nice touch for those who spend a lot of time crafting.

On the whole, I think that OSRS had, probably still has, some of the best player housing ever. So if Anet adapted some of their ideas, then I think they couldn't go wrong. :)

The thing I like about housing is it adds more laid back, casual content. I feel like this game lacks that type of content, and that is crucial for MMORPG's.

This game has more than enough, grinding for money content. I feel game needs grinding for casual and laid back content like adding something to your house would be welcoming. Adding harvesting nodes is nice, but that just fuels the grind to money.

Also what would be super sweet is if I can place my other characters in the housing area. Maybe even do character swap via ingame rather than logging out. Also maybe being able to some side quests like Breath of Fire fairy village with my alternate characters.Example I know I wont be using 6 of my 8 characters so I have them go hunting for 24 hours. This is what I'm thinking about with that idea

Maybe it can be for guilds instead.

I'd like more strategizing content in a casual calm sense (I'm not super rich, but my place looks very nice), rather than a competitive got to make money and showoff (I have legendary and you don't) sense.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"uberkingkong.8041" said:Will in game housing be included in GW2 next expansion?Everquest has it, Elder Scrolls Online has it, World of Warcraft has it.Guild Wars 2 should have it!

Disagree. Just because other MMOs have it, doesn't mean that GW2
should
have it. I prefer the development resources be used for other content.

I would rather resources be dedicated elsewhere too. Housing holds zero appeal to me. Since I'm biased, I really don't know if having housing would draw people into the game. And, if it did, would they be people who frequent WvW? My guess is no to both counts so I'll stick with "don't do it".

Please no, I don't want this crud taking space in the game. I don't pay attention to it in the other games that have it because honestly ESO has it just to milk as much cash as it can from people.

HOWEVER

Guild halls and guild housing getting a rework to be like player housing, a hub in which you can log in and out with that has all the crafting and everything else would be sick. Just like guild wars 1, Id very much like a housing/guild hall system that is more in depth and has more to it with more upgrades to where you can fix it up and say... get all the dang sand outta the way. Or rebuild fallen structures or extend it to further reaches of the guild hall, I really want guilds/guild content to be a major focus of the expansion and I want a good handful of guild halls going forward. The ones we have now are ok but need work, and I honestly want a shivverpeaks one, a grothmar looking one, a canthan one with all three factions such as we have a kurzick, Luxxon and imperial cantha themed guild hall set that are based on what we want.

Hell Id love to have a jade sea one, a floating guild hall that has magic that allows you to walk beneath the waves. SO MUCH HYPE!!!

Eyy a housing thread again.My view on player housing is that it's a pretty unnecessary addition to the game. However, people clearly want it. So it wouldn't be a bad addition either. I am not going to go around asking anet for it, but if it was implemented I would find it enjoyable.

My view on how to best implement player housing: make them function similar to guild halls

Allow the player to pick from several locations and require them to go in an clear it out of some enemy (grawl, skritt, giant spiders, whatever). Allow them to take a party in with them if they want help from friends. If they want to change locations they have to clear out the new location. The locations should be a small map that include a house with at least some outdoor space around it.

Once they have established their house they should have weekly missions that are designed for solo or party play that give them a currency similar to guild favour, they can spend this at a butler or housekeeper of some kind to get upgrades to their house (and once all upgrades are completed maybe something like map currencies or unid gear). Like guild missions, let them pick from PvP, WvW, PvE, or random missions. The missions can be used to encourage players to do things they might not always think to do. Like requiring certain world boss kills or meta events. This can be used to move people around in the maps every week to keep older content a little fresher. (Granted not everyone will be doing these missions so the population shift might not be super drastic, but it still might introduce players to places or content they might not have noticed before, which is also nice)

An early upgrade could be a material generation thing, but unlike the mine for guild halls it could be a garden or something. Upgrades can be mild convenience things like repair anvil, bank access, crafting tables, etc, or they can be more decorative like a stable that has your unlocked mounts (bonus points if it shows what skins you have equipped on them), a library of all the lore books you have collected, a trophy room with trophies for certain achievements or something. There can also be different music options for your home that can be unlocked with upgrades, and possibly some upgrades that let you customize it's look more by having different textures/shades of wood and such for the building.

Allow players to purchase or craft decorations and decorate their house like how guild halls can be decorated.Allow players to bring friends into their house via parties so they can have private, personalized, areas to RP or to just show off what they made of their place.

Have some achievements associated with claiming and fully upgrading your home instance with a title for the latter. Maybe something like Estate Baron or Real Estate Agent, who knows.

Ever since the PoF leak on reddit, a dev posted there saying there were things that might not make it to launch. Housing was one of those things they were working on that just didn't make the deadline.

So there's a chance we'll get it in Expansion 3. Considering all the mechanics they've been introducing from Sun's Refuge to Hall of Monuments.

Housing would be a logical and cheap feature cuz the system is already in the game: scribing and guild hall decorations! :smiley: Just adjust it, enable it for every player, add tons of new furniture/decorations and make instanced homes from locations that are already available in Tyria. They could even add useful things like ESO: more storage (bank), crafting stations, NPCs, training dummies, etc.

Although it’s not homey, we already have a home instance where we’re able to reap goods from daily. I don’t think we should have individual homey homes.

However, I do think we should have guild homes. Something like an apartment space, with multiple floors and multiple beds that you can interact with. Some structure in the guild hall should be turned into a “home” where we can sleep, eat, chill in a big room of creative chairs, etc. There can be a gathering area in the first floor, maybe even a stage where people can play their instruments Metal Legion style. Basically, I want a structure added to the guild hall where players can gather, party, and sleep for various reasons, e.g. boons or roleplay. A place to have fun while also reaping small rewards (like boons). I’m sure this is doable, though the hard part would be figuring out what, exactly, goes into these apartments. Oh, and I definitely want a bookcase. Maybe there can be new guild missions where we go out into the world to collect lore books to add to our guild bookcase <3

WoW garrisons is not really housing as I know it. Garrisons is more like premade settlement you can't really customize. Wildstar had serious housing free to all creativity (you could decide exactly which object was where, you can move it into air and leave it there if you want to, can decide the size of the object, build whatever from whatever) Runescape has it, but it's a mix of premade and little choice on player's part where do you want your rooms to be. MS2 has housing, and it's freedom is somewhat between wildstar and runescape because you can only place 1 object in one "cube" space, and alot of terrain building stuff is cubes, but it still allows you alot of freedom within those limits and you can build a thing if you want to. It's also similar to RS in practical application, like placing portals, and you can put down items that give you a stat buff for slightly better performance in raids. Of course you need to do things for different items and some objects are rewarded through specific achievements.

Housing should really be a default in mmorpgs but it's undervalued greatly. Furniture could be sold in game-shop and it would be another way for players to spend money on the game. Just don't make it too expensive because that's a turn-off. For thoses that don't really care about housing, put in some utilities so it doesn't seem useless to them.I would really like housing (customize your own piece of land and a house, surround house with forest or a garden, maybe a swimming pool, something like that) in GW2... assuming it's done right.

• Sad 1

@kharmin.7683 said:

@uberkingkong.8041 said:Will in game housing be included in GW2 next expansion?Everquest has it, Elder Scrolls Online has it, World of Warcraft has it.Guild Wars 2 should have it!

Disagree. Just because other MMOs have it, doesn't mean that GW2
should
have it. I prefer the development resources be used for other content.

i have seen allot of ppl saying this over and over again but never with an actual list of what they should do.so please, humor me, what other content, what resources should they use for what?

me?i would use little resources (maybe a single week) to make taverns more RP friendly, housing is also another thing i would like to see but they could've done that with EotN.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion guild wars 2 should add a instance to game for the houses of players, more then just a part of city. to build our houses from wood and other materials where players can play life feathers neather then just fighting like actually be farmers, cook a soup and to host meeting of players in there house they built and designed.and i know that in guild wars 2 this idea and system will look amazing and will be very cool and fun to play in.it will also attract new players and make guild wars 2 greater.and another tip: developers could use system similar to the world vs world catapult and ballista use system.the design of the house should be before the build itself and thats it.I hope the community will like the idea aswell as the crew making the game.

it was originally planned but later it seemed to be a to big deal for anet to develop a proper housing-system. So they gave us this guild decoration thing and extended home-ini as replacement.of which i think it wont do the job. its nice to have a tiny bit of deco but it will never feel like your own house would.