Do you think that spellbreaker would have been good raid tank if crono was not so OP?

Vancho.8750

With full counter and taunt and traits that seem to synergize with a tanking play style I feel like it has a lot of potential. All I see is people complaining about PvE damage but maybe we’re meant to be a rock and tank in PvE with spell breaker. I hope someone who PvEs a lot here has geared up, spec’d out and really given this a go. This needs a deep dig.

@MaxwellM.2075 said:With full counter and taunt and traits that seem to synergize with a tanking play style I feel like it has a lot of potential. All I see is people complaining about PvE damage but maybe we’re meant to be a rock and tank in PvE with spell breaker. I hope someone who PvEs a lot here has geared up, spec’d out and really given this a go. This needs a deep dig.

first of all taunt isn't a tanking thing. Secondly tanking isn't a role you dedicate a class to. it's a role you tack onto another role that lowers dps the least. If chrono wasn't tanking healer druids would be tanking.

In this game the question of tanking is not "what tools do they have to tank?" but rather "what tools do they give up to tank and what tools can they bring while tanking."

spellbreaker tank gives up the berserker spec which is something like half your dps as a warrior.

@Aceofsppades.6873 said:first of all taunt isn't a tanking thing. Secondly tanking isn't a role you dedicate a class to. it's a role you tack onto another role that lowers dps the least. If chrono wasn't tanking healer druids would be tanking.

I haven’t raided so I’m pretty ignorant of what tanking is in this game. I’m used to just DPSing through fractals once in a blue moon.

Also wtf does taunt actually do besides help fill my rage bar?

@MaxwellM.2075 said:

@Aceofsppades.6873 said:first of all taunt isn't a tanking thing. Secondly tanking isn't a role you dedicate a class to. it's a role you tack onto another role that lowers dps the least. If chrono wasn't tanking healer druids would be tanking.

I haven’t raided so I’m pretty ignorant of what tanking is in this game. I’m used to just DPSing through fractals once in a blue moon.

Also kitten does taunt actually do besides help fill my rage bar?

Make things hit you for a few seconds

SP would never be a raid tank. What you bring while tanking? A full ministrel FB can bring perma quickness, a lot of might, aegis, healing and cond cleanse while tanking. A herald tank can provide perma fury, might/protection and healing cond cleanse. Even reaper tank can tank better without giving much dps in the process and have a party heal in transfusion, while providing god tier CC.So yeah even if there wasnt chrono warrior is probable the worst tank.

@Mosharn.8357 said:Make things hit you for a few seconds

Ok some one said taunt wasn’t a tanking skill and didn’t work like other games but that seems to be exactly what it is. It’s purpose is to take aggro off others. It just seems like warrior would suck at tanking from everything people say.

People go for efficiency> @MaxwellM.2075 said:

@Mosharn.8357 said:Make things hit you for a few seconds

Ok some one said taunt wasn’t a tanking skill and didn’t work like other games but that seems to be exactly what it is. It’s purpose is to take aggro off others. It just seems like warrior would suck at tanking from everything people say.

The taunt itself works like it does in other games. However, raid bosses, like most champions, are immune to CC outside of taking damage to their defiance bar.They either go for the person with the highest toughness, randomly pick a target, attack the closest or furthest person or have no mechanic at all.Taunt is of little consequence as far as tanking is concerned.

@Aceofsppades.6873 said:

@MaxwellM.2075 said:With full counter and taunt and traits that seem to synergize with a tanking play style I feel like it has a lot of potential. All I see is people complaining about PvE damage but maybe we’re meant to be a rock and tank in PvE with spell breaker. I hope someone who PvEs a lot here has geared up, spec’d out and really given this a go. This needs a deep dig.

first of all taunt isn't a tanking thing. Secondly tanking isn't a role you dedicate a class to. it's a role you tack onto another role that lowers dps the least. If chrono wasn't tanking healer druids would be tanking.

In this game the question of tanking is not "what tools do they have to tank?" but rather "what tools do they give up to tank and what tools can they bring while tanking."

spellbreaker tank gives up the berserker spec which is something like half your dps as a warrior.

This. Chronos aren't brought to be the tank. They're brought to supply alacrity and quickness, which boosts everybody else's DPS, along with various other benefits that aren't reliant on their personal DPS. Because people accept that chrono DPS is going to be the lowest in the raid squad anyway, it costs them the least to get the toughness gear that draws aggro to them.

(As silly as an 'enemies go after the toughest target' aggro mechanic is, we use the mechanics that are in the game...)

Warrior is one of the best options because it only needs to sacrifice a small amount of dps to boost it's toughness with a bit of trailblazer's gear instead of viper's. In this set up it can still do good dps, stack 25 might, provide banners, empower allies, and some fury, while tanking which is makes a strong initial case for it.

The problem for this set up is that you will still be running a chrono and they need lots of concentration and there are no stat combinations which include concentration without some defensive stats so just running a dps chrono to make up the damage lost on the warrior is not quite an option. The only real options for chrono are commander, minstrel, and harrier. Commander's and minstrel's both already include toughness which by default makes them the tank unless the warrior wants to run even higher toughness which is pointless as the chronos can easily do the tank job, and having another player loading up on toughness just hurts dps for no benefit.

A comp could be set up using Harrier chronos however. The idea would be that warriors lose a small amount of dps to increase their toughness a bit to tank, chronos also lose a bit of dps to go for harrier stats instead of commander's. However, the druids can run more dps focused condi builds while the group still has decent sustain from the extra healing the harrier chronos provide. The end result is slightly less dps but more sustain than the standard yolo comp of comander chrono, condi druid, viper warrior. But you get more dps for a bit less sustain than the standard safe comp of minstrel/commander chrono, heal druid, viper warrior. It would seem to have the problem which zealot's gear has had where groups either want safe reliable kills, or want to push their times as fast as they can, in either case a middle of the road option doesn't fit. Another major problem is that most chrono's don't have access to harrier gear as it is new with pof and hasn't really been endorsed by any speed run guilds because it is niche at best.

All of the above also only applies on paper, in actuality warrior would not be quite as good at tanking due to chrono having better access to blocks and evades. The meta condi ps warrior currently lacks any extra blocks or evades on it's weapon sets unless they substitute torch for offhand shield. This means they will struggle handling the more high pressure bosses vale guardian, deimos, and especially xera. Xera's blurred frenzy in particular hits extremely hard and due to the mechanics of the fight, you don't want to have to use your normal dodges to avoid it since you might spin her around killing your group or you just fall off the edge of the platform. Mesmer can use their own blurred frenzy to counter xera's blurred frenzy but warrior would need a shield, or just a ton of defensive stats.

Ultimately on paper warrior tank isn't bad, it is one of the best options, but even on paper it is not really better than chrono, and it is much worse in practicality than chrono so most groups will just run chrono.

Archived