Adjustments to Daily ATs

Cal Cohen.2358

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi Everyone,

We’ve seen a lot of feedback around the length of daily ATs caused by the swiss tournament system. The current number of rounds was chosen to ensure that any team with 1 loss or better will make it into the single-elimination rounds, in order to mitigate the case of top teams getting paired early in the swiss rounds causing one of them to miss the cut.

For the sake of tournament length we’re going to relax this rule for daily tournaments. We still want daily tournaments to be a place for teams to get practice, and there will be a minimum of 3 swiss rounds before cutting to the elimination bracket. With the new numbers, swiss daily tournaments will be one round longer than single-elimination tournaments of the same size, but some number of 1-loss teams will potentially miss the elimination bracket. We’ll be monitoring how this plays out, but we feel that it’s a good middle ground of using the swiss system to give teams more opportunity to play without blowing out the tournament length too far.

Monthly tournaments will still use the original round counts to ensure that 1-loss or better makes the elimination bracket.

These adjustments are live as of a few minutes ago, affecting all daily tournaments.

I> @"romano.8170" said:

Nice so instead of 3 hours it'll take 2.5 hours :)

I am fairly sure I have not played an AT that lasted longer than 2 hours since the changes, and since the activity on NA is lower on EU if anything that is unlikely to be different there.

Overall the Swiss System is still very flawed, it usually just repeats stomp games and in the rare case that you actually face a decent team twice it makes even less sense, since after beating a team in the swiss round they can eliminate you in a single game in the elimination rounds, which basically means you are out with a 1:1 score against that team and possibly no other loss. That is definitely NOT how swiss tournaments work, those have winner and losers brackets and you actually have an advantage from being in the winner's bracket. In this system the swiss rounds are just sort of a "qualification" for the elimination rounds that have very little value in themselves as long as you make it to the QF.

How does a minimum of 3 swiss rounds will turn out one match longer than regular tournament? Will the at end after the 3 swiss rounds? Is there just the final after swiss rounds?Ive played like 7 tournies since swiss never more than 6(!) teams, so how are you gonna fit this into 4 matches max? And why have swiss at all for like 4 teams?Probably have to find out myself but doesnt like anything will change

maybe make a Win and lose bracket, so for example a team loses they go against another losing team, and whoever loses that match will just be eliminated. This way we don't have 30+ minute AT's which are very residentsleeper I stopped AT's they start to feel like a chore now with the length of matches. I would also suggest giving the losing team a little more gold instead of that 1Gold, most players in losing team are actually less gear and newer to the game so would be nice to give them a bit.

@Fantasylife.7981 said:maybe make a Win and lose bracket, so for example a team loses they go against another losing team, and whoever loses that match will just be eliminated. This way we don't have 30+ minute AT's which are very residentsleeper I stopped AT's they start to feel like a chore now with the length of matches. I would also suggest giving the losing team a little more gold instead of that 1Gold, most players in losing team are actually less gear and newer to the game so would be nice to give them a bit.

Most losing teams are Pve all welcome groups

@Cal Cohen.2358 said:Hi Everyone,

We’ve seen a lot of feedback around the length of daily ATs caused by the swiss tournament system. The current number of rounds was chosen to ensure that any team with 1 loss or better will make it into the single-elimination rounds, in order to mitigate the case of top teams getting paired early in the swiss rounds causing one of them to miss the cut.

For the sake of tournament length we’re going to relax this rule for daily tournaments. We still want daily tournaments to be a place for teams to get practice, and there will be a minimum of 3 swiss rounds before cutting to the elimination bracket. With the new numbers, swiss daily tournaments will be one round longer than single-elimination tournaments of the same size, but some number of 1-loss teams will potentially miss the elimination bracket. We’ll be monitoring how this plays out, but we feel that it’s a good middle ground of using the swiss system to give teams more opportunity to play without blowing out the tournament length too far.

Monthly tournaments will still use the original round counts to ensure that 1-loss or better makes the elimination bracket.

These adjustments are live as of a few minutes ago, affecting all daily tournaments.

One issue that needs to be addressed is teams auto-losing/being removed entirely if someone in the party leaves. It's easy to get one pug who decides to leave after 3 matches ruining the entire tournament/rewards for the remaining 4 people. You don't even get QP if you don't get to the elimination round. It's happened to me and really discourages trying to play in tournaments without a pre-made group of 5 friends.