Official Greatsword and Legend Thread — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Professions Revenant

Official Greatsword and Legend Thread

Lonewolf Kai.3682Lonewolf Kai.3682 Member ✭✭✭✭

So since we all know by now that the next expansion is going to start being developed and that when it comes to Revenant, the highest, most requested choice for a new weapon going to Greatsword, it makes sense as the next weapon to come to our arsenal. Let’s go ahead and make an official post with our ideas of how it might work here.

Over the past few years, some really great ideas have come out on the forum. One of which I remember was a Balthazar legend, centralized around the burning condi. Another one was a defensive/counter attack approach. I have several, non-fleshed out ideas myself. One such idea that I just recently posted was having the Norn, Asgeir as the legend, the utility skills transforms based on the Animal spirits and that change how your weapon worked, something akin to Engineer kits, but in a lesser format so as not to take away the Engineer kit flavor away from them. The weapon change being an added condi, or might stacks, or a knock down, etc. Another thought wasn’t necessarily even adding a new legend, but rather give the Revenant a way to use 3 Legends vs just 2, maybe with stiffer CDs on changeover. The GS would help the Rev with the focus needed to hold 3 legends. And in this case, the GS would work similar to the way Trident works.

Let’s post your ideas here and see what you have. Also, please to the naysayers, let’s keep it civil and try not to derail the topic too much with why you disagree with GS.

Comments

  • Ertrak.9506Ertrak.9506 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2020

    Someone here changed my mind. I originally wanted Aesgir Dragonrender. Now, I want the Legendary Unnamed Tengu, descendant of Talon Silverwing, that led the Angchu from cantha, through hordes of risen, and founded the Dominion of Winds.

    Gonna edit this when i have a better idea for skills. Possibly toy with the idea of the spec mechanic neither naturally degening or regenning energy, but instead have 2 "stances" for profession skills that either degen energy while active for buffed weapon/utility skills, or regen energy for debuffed weapon/utility skills.

    Could be interesting.

  • zaswer.5246zaswer.5246 Member ✭✭

    Im not sure about the legend lore but talking about skills i want skills that you can use both in a pve enviroment and in pvp , most of our legends have something in comon and that is the disparity between pvp and pve , i know the game modes are different but revenant legends have too much disparity in skills , for example in high end pve for power you only use IO in shiro because all the other skills are much more pvp centered while in pvp IO is much less used , for mallinx in pve you use the ult and almost nothing else , in general for pve the most usefull are usually the upkeeps while the non upkeep seem more pvp centered and much more utility centered .
    With that said id prefer having less utility in the legend and more direct dmg , at least one dmg outside of the upkeep if the elite is dmg focused.
    Next id prefer if the new elite would be either power centered or hybrid , kalla might be hybrid but it still is better for condi than power( the complete elite , traits , weapon etc) and glint elite is much more centered around a support / healer with generic boons .
    Also i would like anet to look at energy and cds and get rid of one of those for the elite, im sorry but it is a fact that right now the energy management , cd management and legend swap management affrct one another in a cluncky way in some builds , i understand that spaming strong skills is bad for balance and i like the energy mecanick but right now the energy cap is around 75 with charged mists and the strongest skills have a cost that varies from 20 to 35 , legend skills, with cds ofbaround 13 seconds , that makes that in some legends after using 2 skills you dont have energy to use on other usefull skills while in other legends you dont use some skills in a game mode and that makes you lose time autoatacking till the few skills you have are out of cd.In conclusion some legends have too high energy cost and others cant spend the energy in useful things.

  • Thornwolf.9721Thornwolf.9721 Member ✭✭✭✭
    1. Svanir, with a norn-bear mechanic
    2. Asgeir with the blessings of the spirits
    3. Olaf Olafson seventh son of Olaf with shouts
    4. Jora with curses, due to the curse she suffered from drakkar
    5. Any other norn legend

    I only want a norn themed legend, the weapon doesn't matter as long as its a cool norn based legend with norn based mechanics and themes. If we get anything else Ill be severely dissapointed....

  • DonArkanio.6419DonArkanio.6419 Member ✭✭✭✭
    1. Tengu
    2. Jotun
    3. Kodan
    4. Svanir
    5. Orrian-themed legend

    I really don't like the idea of getting a Greatsword. I'd prefer any other weapon than GS. As for the legend, I'd like to explore something less canon

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Malon Silverwind, Descendant of Talon Silverwind sounds like an interesting pick, that might play into some revenge theme if we actually tackle the racist regime in Cantha.

    Although I'm against Greatsword, unless fulfills a job no other greatsword or Revenant weapon does yet.

  • Buran.3796Buran.3796 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Legend related I would like to see either a Tengu or a Norn/Kodak related.
    Weapon wise I would put longbow or pistols above greatsword, but if they release again a 2H weapon without any mobility and defense skills I just will pass.

  • Lonewolf Kai.3682Lonewolf Kai.3682 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2020

    @Fueki.4753 said:
    Malon Silverwind, Descendant of Talon Silverwind sounds like an interesting pick, that might play into some revenge theme if we actually tackle the racist regime in Cantha.

    Although I'm against Greatsword, unless fulfills a job no other greatsword or Revenant weapon does yet.

    Type of weapon aside, what are you looking for in how the new weapon would work?

    @Buran.3796 said:
    Legend related I would like to see either a Tengu or a Norn/Kodak related.
    Weapon wise I would put longbow or pistols above greatsword, but if they release again a 2H weapon without any mobility and defense skills I just will pass.

    I can see the need for more defensive skill types, but I’d have to argue mobility with you. We have four base weapons that have movement built in, and arguably a 5th. Sword 5, staff 5, Mace 3, Axe 4. You could argue sword 3 as a mobile skill, but only if your target is on the move. I personally used it either defensively for the evade frames or as a movement skill if the target is kiting. Keep in mind we have movement utilities too. I think Revenant is doing fine in the mobile department.

  • Buran.3796Buran.3796 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

    I can see the need for more defensive skill types, but I’d have to argue mobility with you. We have four base weapons that have movement built in, and arguably a 5th. Sword 5, staff 5, Mace 3, Axe 4. You could argue sword 3 as a mobile skill, but only if your target is on the move. I personally used it either defensively for the evade frames or as a movement skill if the target is kiting. Keep in mind we have movement utilities too. I think Revenant is doing fine in the mobile department.

    Mace really has no mobility; a small leap after a 0.75" cast doesn't help to chase targets trying to disengage neither helps to get out a fight.

    So I have troubles to find those 4 weapons which provides mobility to us. We have off hand sword (which requires a target) and off hand axe (which requires a target and a sucessful hit, and is useless to disengage). Staff maybe provided a short burst of mobility in the past, but now is just a weapon which roots you for 0.5" and does no damage (is not even a utility tool since you can play perfectly fine without using Surge of the Mist, even in PvE); main hand sword shadow step has a very limited range, can't be used without a target and again is useless to disengage. Hammer, shield and shortbow have 0 mobility. So there's a problem, specially if one doesn't plan to use power weapons; condi weapons are really lacking in mobility at the moment.

    Then there's the legends:

    • Herald provides good sustained mobility, but we will lose Herald if we chose to play the new spec. So this is a nope.
    • Jalis is slow, which is fine given the nature of the legend, but totally not ok if the new spec is also slow. So is another no.
    • Mallyx was a good source of speed burst before ANet decided to stack mobility, a 360º x 360 unit pull and chilled all in the same skill; as happened with off hand sword, which lost a valuable moving block in exchange to a overpowered damage burst which was later nerfed in time cast, cooldown and damage (so we lost the useful block for nothing), chances are that the utterly overpowered Call of Anguish will end being nerfed again to the point of being kitten, so I wouldn't put too much faith in the future of that legend. So this is a maybe; maybe Mallyx keeps being ok in mobility in the future so we maybe could afford a "slow" legend with Cantha. But that window is smoll (which means cute and naive but tiny).

      Finally we have Shiro. Shiro is dead to me, I won't use it ever again: is so differen from what was at the release of the class that when I think about it puts me in a bad mood and just swap to Guardian or leave the game. You can totally count that I won't play Shiro along the next legend spec.

      So yeah, better ANet puts a mobility skill in the new weapon if they want my money when the release date of the expansion arrives. Six months before the PoF release the specs were leaked and that time Kalla and the short bow seemed weak as **** and at the end that was just what we got.

  • LucianTheAngelic.7054LucianTheAngelic.7054 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2020

    If we were to get a Greatsword weapon I'd like to see it used for 900 range damage. I don't think we need more melee weapons we already have so many and most playstyles for Rev want you to be up in their face to deal damage. So since it would hopefully be ranged I could see it being a whole spectrum of choices with few limits on what legend to pick (especially since Shortbow was given to Kalla who didn't even use it until it was retconned on to her statue later and Mallyx who never used a mace, but it fit thematically).

    For legends I'd like to see a villain legend (Khilbron or Svanir) a mist entity legend (Razah) or a ritualist legend (Togo, Usoku etc.)

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2020

    @Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

    @Fueki.4753 said:
    Malon Silverwind, Descendant of Talon Silverwind sounds like an interesting pick, that might play into some revenge theme if we actually tackle the racist regime in Cantha.

    Although I'm against Greatsword, unless fulfills a job no other greatsword or Revenant weapon does yet.

    Type of weapon aside, what are you looking for in how the new weapon would work?

    How about 1200 range condi cleave without manual targetting?
    Since Kalla arguably failed as a ranged condition elite spec and just became a alacrity spammer, Revenant could use a working ranged condition elite spec.

  • I personally don't want a GS but anyway, it will probably be what rev ends up getting because of the number of people that seem to want it. I expect the legend to be Asgeir Dragonrender.

  • DonArkanio.6419DonArkanio.6419 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2020

    I'd love a weapon that changes with Legends. Not just like Trident, but more like Ele's weapons.

    So the weapon can be ranged or melee depending on your Legend. The skills could also change slightly.

  • Lonewolf Kai.3682Lonewolf Kai.3682 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2020

    @DonArkanio.6419 said:
    I'd love a weapon that changes with Legends. Not just like Trident, but more like Ele's weapons.

    So the weapon can be ranged or melee depending on your Legend. The skills could also change slightly.

    That would be excellent. Something like how Ele daggers work?

    @Lily.1935 said:
    What's with you rev players and calling things official when they're very much not official?

    Are you officially questioning it?

  • Raknar.4735Raknar.4735 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2020

    Legendary Nightmare Menzies (Not even sure if he is a nightmare). That would allow us to finally get some lore on him and what the Menzies's Agony greatsword is about.
    The Shadow army also seems to still be active.

    You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you. Umbasa.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I'd rather Revenant get something else than a Greatsword, Greatswords are already overcommon on the other two soldier classes as well as Ranger these days.

    But keeping in spirits with the OP's request then I'd go with this combination.

    New Weapon: Melee Greatsword.
    New Legend: Jora.
    Damage type: Power/Condi Hybrid.
    Main Conditions: Bleed/Cripple.
    Legendary Norn (Utility Skills) Mix of Physical Skills and Shouts
    Elite: Spirit of the Bear.
    How I imagine the Elite working:
    Basically we would channel Jora's Bear spirit causing a translucent Spirit NornBear to appear over our character (not replacing them) that would mimic our movements and attack when we attack allowing for double hits.

    The SpiritBear will only damage enemies in it's melee range though so it will not hit enemies at Range when using a ranged weapon like Hammer but will hit enemies if they are close enough when using a ranged weapon.

    The Spirit Bear will not replicate weapon conditions either and will only apply Bleeds on auto attack hits. (this is to avoid absurd and unfair torment stacking)

    The Spirit Bear will apply cripples on any leap/dash physical utility skills and AoE Vigor on shout utility skills but only when the Elite is active.

    The Spirit Bear skill functions similarly to Embrace the Darkness and costs energy to sustain however instead of pulsing conditions every second your upkeep cost is much lower allowing you to stay in the form longer than other skills of it's type. (Embrace the Darkness/Impossible Odds/Vengeful Hammers etc)

    The Spirit Bears downside to low upkeep cost is that it's damage is linked into your current Energy supply.
    High energy = more damage
    Low energy = significantly less damage

    That's my basic idea anyway.
    I don't play Rev much so i've no idea if it's good or terrible, but that's what came to mind when I had to use Greatsword as the weapon choice.

  • If done properly I would rather if they make greatsword a core weapon for revenant then put a another weapon tied for the new spec(preferible dual pistol with medium-short burst aoe damage). Imagine our own demon slayer character!!!

  • Lily.1935Lily.1935 Member ✭✭✭✭

    So on topic with greatsword since I want greatsword too. I look at greatsword as a weapon that could have two modes to it. A melee and charged mode where it shoots blade beams. I don't know how this would work exactly. Perhaps a trait that changes the function of greatsword or perhaps while you have an upkeep skill on it shoots a bonus sword beam while attack. A hybrid weapon could work for it but I just imagine the revenant with this mystical blade that rips through reality allowing them to strike at foes at a distance.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Lily.1935 said:
    So on topic with greatsword since I want greatsword too. I look at greatsword as a weapon that could have two modes to it. A melee and charged mode where it shoots blade beams. I don't know how this would work exactly. Perhaps a trait that changes the function of greatsword or perhaps while you have an upkeep skill on it shoots a bonus sword beam while attack. A hybrid weapon could work for it but I just imagine the revenant with this mystical blade that rips through reality allowing them to strike at foes at a distance.

    It'd work like (or similar to) Deadeye Rifle: the #5 skill switches the other 4 skills.

  • Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2020

    Don't really care for GS ecksdee.
    Legendary Exile Prince Rurik :^)
    With bootleg Sohotin :^)

    If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

  • Lonewolf Kai.3682Lonewolf Kai.3682 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Fueki.4753 said:

    @Lily.1935 said:
    So on topic with greatsword since I want greatsword too. I look at greatsword as a weapon that could have two modes to it. A melee and charged mode where it shoots blade beams. I don't know how this would work exactly. Perhaps a trait that changes the function of greatsword or perhaps while you have an upkeep skill on it shoots a bonus sword beam while attack. A hybrid weapon could work for it but I just imagine the revenant with this mystical blade that rips through reality allowing them to strike at foes at a distance.

    It'd work like (or similar to) Deadeye Rifle: the #5 skill switches the other 4 skills.

    That sounds like a neat idea!

  • Though I would love to have a ranged weapon for GS with some cool, never before seen animations, this would probably make it nonviable in highend PVE content (where only being melee is viable), so pls dont do that.
    Maybe if it can be switched to ranged with an elite upkeep skill or a stance like deadeye rifle (as previously mentioned before)?
    But other than that I am fine with any kind of melee GS that has some magical abilities added on top and is viable in high end PVE. But for that the elite spec needs to be good and not the weapon itself. So please give us something that is useful for the group. A mechanic similar to how Ranger spirits operate? Group wide buffs that only we can provide?
    I would be a happy panda.

  • Kuma.1503Kuma.1503 Member ✭✭✭

    A greatsword that creates waves of black mist to rend foes in two would be sweet. It could be a mid range cleave weapon at roughly 600 range. You could also give them these mini teleports and an upkeep where you temporarily boost your speed and damage for a period of time and-- I literally just described Ichigo from bleach.