More Shortbows that look like Longbows?

war god's shortbow pretty cool got lucky landed a claim ticket from a BLC. I really needed a good shortbow skin wanted leyline shortbow skin go with my armor, but im afraid i dont have 200g to toss for it (aint worth that much to me personally anyways even if i had the gold to spare) lol so i settle with war god's. i like it better any other look i had. Just not a lot of short bow styles very cool or nice in my opinion. btw think war god's is cheaper then most skins on tp like 50g or so, but that will change once it rotates from the ticket claim so if like it better get it while its cheap.

Why should longbows and shortbows look alike?

Traditionally shortbows (horsebows) were used on horseback, after mounted archery replaced the Chariot based archer. The small amount of space made a large bow unwieldy (clear exceptions DO exist: e.g. Japanese mounted archery: still existing as Yabusame,but this type of bow is still smaller than the bows used in Japanese standing archery: Kyūdō )

The mobility provided by horse could be advantageous and allowed for a very fast and agile mobile attack platform whereas handbows used by foot infantery were meant more as a static long distance saturation weapon.

As such, a good shortbow was to be usable on horseback while riding, generally limiting it's size. The movement caused by mount and rider made it inherently less accurate on longer distances so there was less need for a perfect super long ranged weapon, the distance was closed by advancing and withdrawing or evading when needed.Smaller bows make a higher rate of fire easier in confined locations. A smaller bow is also easier to hide. As such a shortbow has different qualities and purpose.

There are a lot of additions to be made upon this small summary of information. Differences between bows of light and heavily armored mounted archers, and the fact the necessity of accuracy on short to middle range was more prominent for horsearchers compared to an infanterist unit.

The density of bows (number of bows per area) is obviously lower when archers are on horseback compared to a group of infanterists, as such mounted archers were never in an advantage versus infantery archers and in a clash between the 2 groups the mounted archers would try and engage dismounted to reduce posture. horsebows can be used while kneeling or sitting, making the target for opponents smaller.

Making a shortbow the size of a longbow is illogical as the practical use of both weapons is completely different. The idea they are comparible is roughly limited by the components... and the fact both fire arrows... There all similarity ends.

I agree both sets could use more expansion on their present selection, but the fact remains the weapons are not and will never be the same.

@PaxTheGreatOne.9472 said:Why should longbows and shortbows look alike?

Traditionally shortbows (horsebows) were used on horseback, after mounted archery replaced the Chariot based archer. The small amount of space made a large bow unwieldy (clear exceptions DO exist: e.g. Japanese mounted archery: still existing as Yabusame,but this type of bow is still smaller than the bows used in Japanese standing archery: Kyūdō )

The mobility provided by horse could be advantageous and allowed for a very fast and agile mobile attack platform whereas handbows used by foot infantery were meant more as a static long distance saturation weapon.

As such, a good shortbow was to be usable on horseback while riding, generally limiting it's size. The movement caused by mount and rider made it inherently less accurate on longer distances so there was less need for a perfect super long ranged weapon, the distance was closed by advancing and withdrawing or evading when needed.Smaller bows make a higher rate of fire easier in confined locations. A smaller bow is also easier to hide. As such a shortbow has different qualities and purpose.

There are a lot of additions to be made upon this small summary of information. Differences between bows of light and heavily armored mounted archers, and the fact the necessity of accuracy on short to middle range was more prominent for horsearchers compared to an infanterist unit.

The density of bows (number of bows per area) is obviously lower when archers are on horseback compared to a group of infanterists, as such mounted archers were never in an advantage versus infantery archers and in a clash between the 2 groups the mounted archers would try and engage dismounted to reduce posture. horsebows can be used while kneeling or sitting, making the target for opponents smaller.

Making a shortbow the size of a longbow is illogical as the practical use of both weapons is completely different. The idea they are comparible is roughly limited by the components... and the fact both fire arrows... There all similarity ends.

I agree both sets could use more expansion on their present selection, but the fact remains the weapons are not and will never be the same.

Friendly reminder that we're talking about GW2, not real life.

@Chickenooble.5014 said:

@Haishao.6851 said:Friendly reminder that we're talking about GW2, not real life.Who knew the real-life concepts of "short" and "long" didn't exist in Tyria?

It's a short bow. It's supposed to be shorter than a long bow.

Let's consider rapiers, short swords, the wobbly fake toy scimitar, the chain whip sword and the Shining Blade itself can be used all in the exact same manner depending on class, with the exact same efficiency.

So yeah, I don't buy your argument.

@castlemanic.3198I like the wood sword one that you craft best sword skin in game. though i do like my fiery dragon sword from HoM rewards alot comes in handy when you walk into a dark void of a cave. Saved my hiny few times cause I could see the mobs chasing after me. In away it gives an advantage over a basic sword can be a bit more efficient if you look at it because of that one reason. anyways im off topic have nice night n take care.

Archived