Do you game without Elite Specializations? Is it possible? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Do you game without Elite Specializations? Is it possible?

Prior to the release of HoT it wasn't an issue, the core classes were all that we had available to us. Now with two additional "classes" per profession, our options have been expanded greatly.

My question is simple (and complex if you want to make it): Do you still play the core classes or have the elites completely overwritten those for you?
Can you still be relevant in Fractals, Raids, or WvW without an Elite?

The only core profession I still run is the ranger. All my others are set on one (or both with templates) of the elites.

"That's what" -- She

Comments

• Hashberry.4510Hashberry.4510 Member ✭✭✭✭

I like to run a core toon as well as one from each elite, plus power vs condi.

• I have a lot of fun with my Core Ranger, Warrior, and Guardian.

• PyrateSilly.4710PyrateSilly.4710 Member ✭✭✭

I maxed them out but have never actually used them ...

• To preface I should state I don't min/max. That being said I have 1 character for each type of specialization; this includes core characters. Core ranger and core guardian are still really fun in PVE across all expansions. I've made a core mesmer but I haven't tried him in newer maps. Core revenant does as well as you can expect since it was launched with HOT. Core warrior and necro feel a bit clunky but that's just based on my play style. I haven't made a core thief or engie yet.
    But to answer your question simply - you absolutely can play across all the pve content new and old with a core character. I think you can WvW as well unless you're in a squad with people who care about builds. You will be fine for core dungeons, and you might be ok for most fractals.
    However I think you will have a hard time getting in to Raids and sPvp on core builds.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

That depends on your skill level.

There is content some people can clear on a naked character while others fail while fully equipped in ascended.

• Depends on the class for me i like core guardian but i loath core mesmer (compared to their elites). Also keep in mind that every free account is running around without any elites, so a large number of players actually don't use them. For fractals, raids, etc, I'd say most cores are weaker compared to their elites but theyre still decent/relevant.

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have maxed out exactly two Elite Specs (both on the same character), and have never used them.
    I'll throw on a different spec if I feel like changing things up once in awhile (or lighting up greyed-out skills), but I do just fine without them.

If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

You can definitely use core specs in open-world content, dungeons and lower tier fractals. I do it all the time. In higher tier Fractals, raids and to a lesser extent WvW the deciding factor is probably your group - how strict they are and what everyone else is using. My raid groups will sometimes have people using core specs, but I'm not experienced enough with raids to know how they decide which ones to use and when.

For what it's worth Anet didn't intend elite specs to be directly better than core specs, just different. How successful they've been is debatable, and I think some of them are definitely an improvement even if it's just adding new options rather than an increase in damage (or defense) but it's certainly not intended to be that the existance of elite specs makes core builds obsolete.

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die. Drain you of your sanity, face the thing that should not be"

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

My Guardian is full core in zealots gear. The elites would likely improve him optimally, but wouldn't provide the style I am looking for on that toon

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ik its not in your mentioned parts of the game but in pvp afaik core is still used and depending the balance patch so is in pve as well.

As of now idk how core fairs in pve tho.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

My main has never used an Elite Spec and never had any issues in PvE or WvW.

Several of my other characters are also not using Elite Specs so yes you can play the game perfectly fine with core builds.

• DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭

I play core warrior in openworld pve and core warrior in raid as bs.

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

Core warrior is probably the best warrior build in PvE. Core guardian can also compete in all PvE content (though it is out played by elites). I know core condi engi is good.

For the remaining classes, elites are substantially better.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

The closest I've gotten to an E-spec on any of my characters is unlocking it, sometimes completely, but that's it, I don't use them, mainly because I'm 1. to lazy, 2. play my core Ranger 95% of the time, and 3. I no longer partake of WvW(only played it the first year and half before the zergs took over when people actually played it like it was designed to be played) nor do I PvP anymore(never a big fan of it anyways, pretty sure less than 50 matches) and I only did low level Fractals(stopped playing those too) and Raids aren't my thing. So for almost all OW content and the stories core is sufficient.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Strages.2950Strages.2950 Member ✭✭✭

If you play PVE casually, you dont need any elite specs for any character.

If you're a min-maxer, a "hardcore" player or partake in PvP/WvW/Raids you're going to WANT the elite specs, if not outright need them. Depending on the balance patch, some more than others. Can you play without them? Sure, but you'll be carried by your team in a lot of cases (notable exception being guardian right now).

Its not just about the power creep, its about team synergies and output potential and the roles these elite specs take within a given comp.