[suggestion]Introducing auras to the necromancer

Dadnir.5038

Like I've said in other threads, the necromancer mechanic (extra HP) have the best synergy with "when hit" effects, yet almost nothing on the necromancer come to support this. One particularly sad point is that neither dark fields nor poison fields grant any aura. This is why I'm suggesting the introduction of two new auras along some change in some of the necromancer's traitlines :

Aura:

• poison aura: cloack yourself in a poison aura that poison foes that hit you and grant you regeneration (4s)
  • dark aura: you are engulfed in darkness for a few seconds, draining life from foes that hit you (4s)

Death magic:

• putrid defense: Poison foe deal less damage on you. Gain poison aura when struck under the treshold (50%, ICD 30s)
  • soul comprehension: when struck while you have an aura, gain 1% life force. (ICD 1s)
  • beyond the veil: whenever you leave the shroud, you and your minions gain poison aura.

Blood magic:

• vampiric ritual: well recharge faster. Whenever you use a well gain dark aura. Auras last 25% longer on you.

Reaper:

• chilling nova: critical hit on chilled foe grant you frost aura. (ICD 8s) While under the effect of frost aura, you deal 10% more damage.
  • cold shoulder: chill last longer. Any aura applyed to you transform into frost aura.

I don't think this would crumble the balance of the game and certainly not make the necromancer OP but I think it would help the necromancer in a unique way.

A large issue with your proposed ideas is that they take away from the theme that already exists for these lines. For your poison aura case with Beyond the Veil, you're replacing Protection with on-hit Regeneration in a Traitline that is thematically tied to being tankier, not more directly sustained, so the Regen is simply worse on theme than the Prot is. For Vampiric Rituals, you're changing it so that the siphon is no longer tied to the Wells, which is a bit contradictory to the name "Vampiric Rituals", but you're also taking away from the Blood Magic theme of your attacks siphoning and trying to move it over to taking damage siphons.

I don't dislike the concept of what you're trying to achieve, just how you're trying to place some of the stuff and how you're trying to make it work. I would personally try to stay more on target thematically and work from there.

Archived