A different change to soulbeast??

crazyhusky.2985

I feel indifferent about the changes they did to soulbeast, the whole 1 pet only thing.I personally think that soulbeast should have gotten a different change, Here what I think they have should done.

Instead of taking 1 pet away, Take both roaming pets away BUT instead you are permently fused with BOTH pets.This would still give soulbeast's access to 2 pets but in a different way.

F5 skill is gone, as it no longer needed due to you're always fused (pet is always stowed).but the F4 skill "pet swap" which is normally on ranger is back and next to the beast skills, so you can use it for pet swapping. (they could pet add icons to the right of the skills so you press them to switch like Rev)This means that soulbeat would have access to 2 sets of beast skills (6 in total), that it will switch between.So you can use Deadly type pet and a supportive type pet, switching between their skills when needed. Obviously with the normal pet swap cooldown.Using two Ferocious pets doesn't mean you get access to 2 different Worldly impacts. If they share the same skill then it shares the same cooldown.This would incentivise people to use two different pets types form two different species. example Smokescale(Ferocious) and Jaracanda(supportive).

I think this would be a fair trade off. No roaming pets for extra skills.

This would solve an issue with pet swapping traits, as right now swapping the way soulbeast uses them is to merge and unmerge.This feels a bit weird and kinda slopy merging in and out with the pet and can leave you vulnerable especially if you get downed, which is annoying in raids.

Another it issue would it solve would be after rallying from downed state issue.It's fraustrating when you get downed causing you to unmerge from the pet, then rally only for the skill you want to use is a beast skill but its on cooldown.It would handle going down in a similar way to the current way, which is when you go down when fused the pet de-fuses with you,but instead of your pet being out afterwards you would auto-fuse back with your pet. To be honest it should be doing this in my view anyway.

Right now, The whole pet merging thing mechanic breaks sometimes when it interacts with water and mounts. Often my whole beast skills disappearor the pet bar in general goes, leaving it in a weird state where there is only a paw there. Pressing f5 either de-fuses me and goes on cooldown or it re-merges me.Without the need to forcefully unmerged everytime you mount or go into water i think would solve this issue as the skills would
change to underwater creatures skills like it does with other classes. Or they could fix it.

The conflict is that two traits do work with the merge mechenic, which are "Fresh reforcement" and "Eternal Bond" but i think they can be tweaked to work similarly."Fresh reforcement" - When you pet swap, your new pet refreshes your active boons and gives you new boons based on its pet type (Fericous, Versatile, Deadly etc)"Eternal bond" - If you would be downed, You pet takes the leathal blow instead temporarily disabling your beast skills (disable lasts 10 secs like Unmerging would normally would).

How would you feel if soulbeast got changed to this, Could you handle not having a pet as a soulbeast but in exchange you get more beast skills.

For me, a ranger main, the soulbeast merging mechanic was fantastic. To a degree, it still is in its current form. I recall when it was released there were many cries for pet-swap while merged. I never agreed with that sentiment; having to unmeld and swap and meld back was what kept the mechanic from becoming too powerful. Apparently, it was still too strong and thus the change to what we have today.

When they were talking about Soulbeast before PoF launch, I thought it would have worked that way... It would have made sense.

See, there is a reason why they have moved Chronomancer F5 to F4. It was a nerf, sure, but it was also making it linear. All mesmers specs have F1-F2-F3-F4.

@Krispera.5087 said:When they were talking about Soulbeast before PoF launch, I thought it would have worked that way... It would have made sense.

See, there is a reason why they have moved Chronomancer F5 to F4. It was a nerf, sure, but it was also making it linear. All mesmers specs have F1-F2-F3-F4.

I thought the same thing. We'd give up pets for the skills.

The whole chronomancer thing was awful. I think that tieing CS to the distortion was bad and pretty much killed the spec outside pve.They could done it a different way to keep similar by fusing other skills instead. Fusing Diversion(F3) and Distortion (F4) together as F3 (So you daze and gain distortion at the same) Move Continuum Split to F4. This would allow chronos to still use distortion related traits as they trigger when you apply to the buff Distortion to yourself not when you use the shatter move Distortion, The only trait that does trigger on the distortion shatter is a Mirage trait which you can't use because you're chronomancer.

@kharmin.7683 said:For me, a ranger main, the soulbeast merging mechanic was fantastic. To a degree, it still is in its current form. I recall when it was released there were many cries for pet-swap while merged. I never agreed with that sentiment; having to unmeld and swap and meld back was what kept the mechanic from becoming too powerful. Apparently, it was still too strong and thus the change to what we have today.

Yes it was due to a few htings, the whole merge thing made soulbeasts pretty strong due to Unstoppable Union.Unstoppable Union was a lot stronger back then, It granted you the unblockable boon for 4 seconds allowing Soulbeasts to pick anyone and delete them from the map.It also broke stun. Its been nerfed now, so it only cures movement related conditions now. the unblockable boon is gone too.

Now being unable to switch pets is thing, which I don't like. I feel that I should be able to have access to my other pet in some way.I don't want give one of them up, I'd rather have both pets not being able to battle beside me, but have access both their skills in exchange for it,

Permanently merged with two pets would have made it easier to balance while giving the spec a clear trade off. I suggested that way back when PoF launched. It would have dumbed it down a bit (a lot), but they ended up doing that with the trade-off we got anyways.

But also I think druid needs a "complete pet removal" to justify having access to support that makes it more relevant than it is today. And if I had to pick between a druid with no pet, but stronger support, or a permanently merged SB, I pick the former.

This would have a completely different thematical flavour. With one pet to merge and unmerge with, it gives you the feeling of having a deep spiritual connection with your pet. It is your one and only real soulmate, you trust each other deeply.

Being permanently merged and just switching between 2 different pets wouldn't have that feeling. It would either feel more like a shaman who just channels the spirits of animals or (the worse case) you are abusing your pets by sacrificing them to gain more power.

I prefer the current implementation of the soulbeast.

I would not like that, I'm a ranger main here and chose the class because of the pet. It took me a very long time to even try soulbeast (I only started playing it just before it was nerfed to one pet), mainly because you don't always have your companion out with you.

I know the pets are dumb and most are outdated, but doesn't mean I enjoy playing without it. Prior to path of fire people wanted a petless ranger and to a lesser extent they got that in soulbeast. I'm glad with how it is in that to play it to a higher level you need to manage both when to have your pet out and when to be merged. You can still get by while permanently merged though. If you want a petless longbow character I recommend dragon hunter. I don't want to lose mine.

@Kodama.6453 said:This would have a completely different thematical flavour. With one pet to merge and unmerge with, it gives you the feeling of having a deep spiritual connection with your pet. It is your one and only real soulmate, you trust each other deeply.

Being permanently merged and just switching between 2 different pets wouldn't have that feeling. It would either feel more like a shaman who just channels the spirits of animals or (the worse case) you are abusing your pets by sacrificing them to gain more power.

No one should care about that at all if it meant the elite spec worked better, felt better and was easier to balance while still keeping a thematical flavor that works.

The bond between a soulbeast and their pet is so strong that they can become one in spirit. By channeling their pet, they become a single entity, attacking with fanglike dagger strikes and using the abilities of their companion and its archetype..

You can literally just change one or two words and the description still works perfectly fine.

@Strider.7849 said:If you want a petless longbow character I recommend dragon hunter. I don't want to lose mine.

That wasn't really even a good suggestion before soulbeast. People often play ranger because of how the weapons and skills feel, the theme of the class etc. Those themes are more than just animals. Dragonhunter has never been close to that. No other either profession for that matter.

I bet they often regret making an optional mechanic in GW1 a main mechanic in GW2. The pet is the source of most of the problems this class have. If possible and done right, bypassing the pet for certain elite specs is the best thing they can do. SB could easily do it, and druid would be way better off without if it meant a better support mechanic. Core ranger is still the your current best option to make the most out of using the pets, other elite specs in the future might double down on that aspect of the class even further.

@Lazze.9870 said:

@Strider.7849 said:If you want a petless longbow character I recommend dragon hunter. I don't want to lose mine.

That wasn't really even a good suggestion before soulbeast. People often play ranger because of how the weapons and skills feel, the theme of the class etc. Those themes are more than just animals. Dragonhunter has never been close to that. No other either profession for that matter.

I bet they often regret making a optional mechanic in GW1 a main mechanic in GW2. The pet is the source of most of the problems this class have. If possible and done right, bypassing the pet for certain elite specs is the best thing they can do. SB could easily do it, and druid would be way better off without if it meant a better support mechanic. Core ranger is still the your current best option to make the most out of using the pets, other elite specs in the future might double down on that aspect of the class even further.

Okay, I can agree that the theme and weapon feel can make the class a preference as opposed to the pet, but there are just as many that play it because of the pet. While the pet is the source of most of the problems, I feel that now it's mostly because they haven't updated older pets and fixed unused newer ones to be more useful - their tracking ability on moving targets is about as good as it will ever get, without becoming OP. I'm sure they do regret making it a main mechanic because balancing all the pets I can imagine is more work than they could have predicted.

As for Druid it has a large amount of problems, with or without the pet and I don't think that having one is holding it back from being something greater - they even made changes not that far in the distant past that affected Druid everywhere because of raid content and because of core ranger spirits to name a couple examples of non-pet related changes.

I know that personally if they started releasing all future elite specs without use of the pet, it may be enough for me to quit the class.

To end this, I'm not outright disagreeing with you because I do see how people can value Rangers for other reasons, I just personally don't want to play a ranger without a pet because it's the main reason I got into it.

@Strider.7849 said:I would not like that, I'm a ranger main here and chose the class because of the pet. It took me a very long time to even try soulbeast (I only started playing it just before it was nerfed to one pet), mainly because you don't always have your companion out with you.

I know the pets are dumb and most are outdated, but doesn't mean I enjoy playing without it. Prior to path of fire people wanted a petless ranger and to a lesser extent they got that in soulbeast. I'm glad with how it is in that to play it to a higher level you need to manage both when to have your pet out and when to be merged. You can still get by while permanently merged though. If you want a petless longbow character I recommend dragon hunter. I don't want to lose mine.

wanna pet - play core

@crazyhusky.2985 said:Now being unable to switch pets is thing, which I don't like. I feel that I should be able to have access to my other pet in some way.I don't want give one of them up, I'd rather have both pets not being able to battle beside me, but have access both their skills in exchange for it,What they should have done is allowed you to use both pets but only merge with one of them (just designate one of the two pet slots as able to merge, kind of like how you can only equip an elite spec in that third trait line).

@Cyric.7813 said:

@Strider.7849 said:I would not like that, I'm a ranger main here and chose the class because of the pet. It took me a very long time to even try soulbeast (I only started playing it just before it was nerfed to one pet), mainly because you don't always have your companion out with you.

wanna pet - play core

wanna play without one - play a different profession.

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:

@crazyhusky.2985 said:Now being unable to switch pets is thing, which I don't like. I feel that I should be able to have access to my other pet in some way.I don't want give one of them up, I'd rather have both pets not being able to battle beside me, but have access both their skills in exchange for it,What they should have done is allowed you to
use
both pets but only
merge
with one of them (just designate one of the two pet slots as able to merge, kind of like how you can only equip an elite spec in that third trait line).

Then the soulbeast would still not have it's trade off and they would have to install another one, the question is which one. Restricting soulbeast to one pet made sense thematically and gameplaywise in my opinion.

@Strider.7849 said:

wanna pet - play core

wanna play without one - play a different profession.

i likе prof's theme, but hate pets, soulbeast is close to my ranger vision ( without pets even more)

@"Strider.7849" said:As for Druid it has a large amount of problems, with or without the pet and I don't think that having one is holding it back from being something greater - they even made changes not that far in the distant past that affected Druid everywhere because of raid content and because of core ranger spirits to name a couple examples of non-pet related changes.

There is no point debating that a mechanic like the pet, that offers ZERO value to druid in terms of support capabilities, is holding the spec back from being able to perform in viable support roles in all modes. Removing it (using removing loosely), making it into some sort of animal whisp or anything of that sort that would allow them to balance druid in a way that either bolster its current support or add more support to it in place of the pet would benefit it greatly - without overpowering it as a sidenoder or dueler, which is the only thing pets add to druid. Reworking outdated pets won't change that.

Your pet class will always be there in core ranger and whatever elite spec they make in the future that doubles down on "beastmastery". Soulbeast is also still very much a pet class.

I honestly find it weird being so stubborn about it that having one or two elite specs that don't interract with pets the same way core ranger does is akin to "taking pets away from you". You rather want an even worse AI than core ranger has, due to the stat penatly from picking druid, instead of having a good support spec which should be the main reason for playing druid in the first place.

If every ranger elite spec is going to have that same pet mechanic as core ranger has, you're only limiting the possibilities.

@Lazze.9870 said:

@"Strider.7849" said:As for Druid it has a large amount of problems, with or without the pet and I don't think that having one is holding it back from being something greater - they even made changes not that far in the distant past that affected Druid everywhere because of raid content and because of core ranger spirits to name a couple examples of non-pet related changes.

There is no point debating that a mechanic like the pet, that offers ZERO value to druid in terms of support capabilities, is holding the spec back from being able to perform in viable support roles in all modes. Removing it (using removing loosely), making it into some sort of animal whisp or anything of that sort that would allow them to balance druid in a way that either bolster its current support or add more support to it in place of the pet would benefit it greatly - without overpowering it as a sidenoder or dueler, which is the only thing pets add to druid. Reworking outdated pets won't change that.

Your pet class will always be there in core ranger and whatever elite spec they make in the future that doubles down on "beastmastery". Soulbeast is also still very much a pet class.

I honestly find it weird being so stubborn about it that having one or two elite specs that don't interract with pets the same way core ranger does is akin to "taking pets away from you". You rather want an even worse AI than core ranger has, due to the stat penatly from picking druid, instead of having a good support spec which should be the main reason for playing druid in the first place.

If every ranger elite spec is going to have that same pet mechanic as core ranger has, you're only limiting the possibilities.

I'm not sure why you're getting so emotional over it. You mentioned I'm stubborn about one or two elite specs which is incorrect. Literally, right after where you clipped I said if they started releasing all future elite specs with lack of pet.

Different interactions with pets are more than welcome and a total rework of druid is needed at this point. There are people that want the pet to totally disappear in all forms, no interactions - that is my issue with it. You mentioned wisps being a change, yeah? You agreed with me in a thread not that long ago on that exact suggestion.

I feel that you woke up on the wrong side of the bed and are just seeing everything I say as negative. As for that cyric guy, I gave a short, stupid response, to a short, stupid, comment.

@"Strider.7849" said:I'm not sure why you're getting so emotional over it. You mentioned I'm stubborn about one or two elite specs which is incorrect. Literally, right after where you clipped I said if they started releasing all future elite specs with lack of pet.

Different interactions with pets are more than welcome and a total rework of druid is needed at this point. There are people that want the pet to totally disappear in all forms, no interactions - that is my issue with it. You mentioned wisps being a change, yeah? You agreed with me in a thread not that long ago on that exact suggestion.

I feel that you woke up on the wrong side of the bed and are just seeing everything I say as negative. As for that cyric guy, I gave a short, stupid response, to a short, stupid, comment.

I'm just tired of Anet's treatment of druid. That certainly puts me in a bad mood whenever I talk about it. A whisp mechanic would possibly only keep the pets in spirit, so to say, you wouldn't interract with it like a core ranger does. So when I see you talking about taking pets away, I interpret that as you wanting to keep the core aspect of the pet mechanic intact (as in having a pet to control the same way core ranger does at all times)). I don't think that benefits druid at all.

If you're fine the druid changes suggested in said post, as in them not physically being there as an entity that does damage or takes damage, then sure, we're pretty much on the same page. I guess the difference is that I'd also gladly remove the pet altogether if that meant druid benefited from it, but that druid manifesto is certainly the best idea I have seen for druid and shows that you don't need to completely "remove" it.