Please let us turn off other player effects — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Please let us turn off other player effects

This game is notorious for particles effect. Now before you all say "EFFECT LOD CAN HELP" NO it cannot help. This game over the years have added Auras, now floating balls, flashy skill effects. It's borderline impossible to play now, all the players are just looking at the numbers and not characters. Please let us completely shut down all other player effects. I know Anet sells cooosmetics and you want others to see that, and get mentally manipulated, and cave in, and and spend money, but nope this is actually discouraging, and this information is pretty much known to all gamers today so that marketing tactic will not work any more.

In terms of usability this game is at very low score of 40 I would say, in metas the eyes burn after sometime due to all these bright effects. Let us turn off all player effects including skills, auras and their names. Even in Party let us turn off names as everything is an AOE in this game. every Major MMOs today allow this, even FFXIV allows this considering the it's made by a team that plays extremely safe.

Please let us have this option, the game is just painful to play with all the silly looking effects going about. it' ridiculous, rather than looking at character one has to look at the damage number to see if they are in position.

Let us have this option in next update, it's high time the game pushed usability features. It's extremely irritating to play and in game you play that's the use of the product. usability should not be a part of just UI but the entire experience.

Thanks, btw ice brood saga is awesome (ending with a positive note is not a trick to get features implemented, its a genuine +ve feedback)

Comments

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

Aye, a options menu with lots of customisation and... options for ppl to have their ideal viewing experience.

The ability to hide other's infusion, legendary effects, glider and mount trails amd on boss effect should be the default.

For more costumizable options i would add the ability to toggle what skills and effects i want to see from allies or have a very minimal version with as little glow as possible for aoes.

• YtseJam.9784YtseJam.9784 Member ✭✭✭

i would want to disable seeing other players completely. Like add an option to Character Model Limit: None or something so I can pretend I'm in my own world with just mobs and NPCs :) Joke aside, for perf reasons. And also should be good to be able to disable other players' pets and minions names separate from the "Show All NPC Names" option since I would still like to see NPCs during metas but not all the 100 pets and minion names from other players cluttering the importan NPCs

• DonArkanio.6419DonArkanio.6419 Member ✭✭✭✭

Agree. We could really use the option to toggle off the effects of other players.

• joneirikb.7506joneirikb.7506 Member ✭✭✭✭

+1

Take if all off!

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
    “Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
    “The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

• xWiroo.3841xWiroo.3841 Member ✭✭✭

+1 this game is old af and still lacks a laughable amount of QoL stuff that isnt hard to code as some say trying to defend anet devs

I'm so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle
    Look for the ayys

• I want to add the thing that sounds like a screaming horse with every attack. Sound just drills right thru your head.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Snarglewomp.6870 said:
    I want to add the thing that sounds like a screaming horse with every attack. Sound just drills right thru your head.

You already can turn that off, in sounds settings if you chose mute projectiles only or off you wont hear that sound from others or yourself depending on with option you change.
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Options
    My Unique Item Sounds
    Drop-down options include "All", "Limited", "Mute Projectiles Only", and "Off".
    Other Players' Unique Item Sounds
    Drop-down options include "All", "Limited", "Mute Projectiles Only", and "Off".

• DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭

It's not uncommon that I want to turn off my own auras and end up removing the offending equipment. And the times I do want the visual effects, that's just for me, I would not care if others had the option to hide my visual effects.

• jokke.6239jokke.6239 Member ✭✭✭

Agreed, those infusions are probably the ugliest cosmetic I've seen in any game, period. Like GW2 is usually very good at making cosmetics imo, but don't know what went wrong with those. And worse is when people are mixing/stacking them.
    I'm confused if people actually think they look good with them, or they just like to look like a flashing discoball for fun, either way, that's totally up to them, just please give me a way to disable the effect.

• Jigalo.5647Jigalo.5647 Member
    edited October 17, 2020

The Effects of the skills burn my eyes away.
    "Dodge when he lifts his right feet" hahaha i would love to see the legs but all the effects are flashing all over the screen.
    Please ArenaNet. Give us a option to reduce the supernova like effects. I do not want to wear glasses when i am older and i wanna get better in the game. Not only with long range weapons.

And the most important and essential thing that Aridon.8362 already said here in this topic, which isnt even about that, is that we absolutely need an update to let our cpu function well with Guild Wars 2. It is so inevitably important that the DirectX version needs to get updatet. This game is all about massive players counts on one spot which all have different Styles. It is a MMO. Its existence is about it. Noone in this world can see in gw2 50 players in the troup without setting them to the grey apperance, let alone getting more than 40 fps while doing it. Noone.

We sincerly need Guild Wars 2 using more than one core and that we can turn down the effects, so that in the end our eyes wont bleed to death because its lagging and flashing as HELL.

*(and is it true that gw2 runs on amazon servers nowdays? i lose faith)

• Rukia.4802Rukia.4802 Member ✭✭✭

The game is decent enough optimized, the issue is not being able to see whats going on amidst 9000 particle effects and people with their clown suits , literal just a blob of visual clutter.

They can't even get hidden nameplates to work much less add a particle slider. Yes GW2 runs on the garbage cheap amazon servers.

NA server
    Fix hide party/squad nameplates
    Add particle effect slider/ability to turn friendly player effects off
    GW1 pvp rolling in its grave

• Yes, please.

• Mil.3562Mil.3562 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2020

No, please.
    Otherwise, how am I supposed to show off my 5 stacks of chak egg effects after i spent tens of thousands of gold on them?
    ♫ Let it show, let it go, let it show... ♫

If your computer cannot take it, lower the graphic settings? Don't expect smooth gameplay when you set every thing on very high or high on a outdated computer or graphic card. We are going into 2021 soon, time to upgrade that pc or network connection.

• Yggranya.5201Yggranya.5201 Member ✭✭✭

If people can't make your eyes bleed whether you want that or not, who would bother dealing with RNG/pay a ton of money to get them? At least anet seems to think that nobody would be intrested. Is it the reason? I don't know. Have they ever addressed this in any way?

• Zeivu.3615Zeivu.3615 Member ✭✭✭

People asked for this before, and I still agree now. We don't need the cancer-inducing lights blinding the very CPU...

• We should be able to lower the texture and meshes of non-partymembers; all-or-nothing in a fashion wars game is not a good idea.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Yggranya.5201 said:
    If people can't make your eyes bleed whether you want that or not, who would bother dealing with RNG/pay a ton of money to get them? At least anet seems to think that nobody would be intrested. Is it the reason? I don't know. Have they ever addressed this in any way?

I don't think that Anet has addressed this point one way or another; however, I believe that you pretty much have the gist of it. I believe that Anet thinks people won't want to spend money for shinies if they can't show them off. Forcing other players to see them is how that works.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• When the low character model setting is on use I would like to see weapons and back items replaced with basic model and miniatures disabled. Along with any other shinies which may these days exist that I don't know about. Chairs, I believe? I haven't seen them, maybe I can't see them? It's possible I don't see very many people around... which really is exactly as I have planned.

I'd like a possibility for displaying all details on party members when those details are otherwise off.

let the sky fall

• This is really turning me off from game. I can take People with bunch of infusion (able to turn it off would be nice) but blinding light from snowball tonic?, troll gadget on chest and even instances like fractal 100cm, its so blinding.
    Sometime, I just think about quitting game altogether because of it. I can't hurt my health to play game. I am gonna wait until PS5 release and gonna have judge this in very detail. Hate to part away from game where I have invested some time but its going out of whack.

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Yggranya.5201 said:

I don't think that Anet has addressed this point one way or another; however, I believe that you pretty much have the gist of it. I believe that Anet thinks people won't want to spend money for shinies if they can't show them off. Forcing other players to see them is how that works.

As long as you can see own, that's all that matters. I would still get bling for my own enjoyment, as many others would. Having them to show off in hubs and cities would be sufficient and a good compromise (can't disable effect there) If all one wants to play the the game to fulfill some fashion fantasy and actually ruin the game for others, then they need to reflect on and change their priorities.

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

A game designed around active defense where your ability to recognize a threat and respond according....and then spams visual noise to prevent you from doing so is fundamentally flawed. A visual effects slider, or the ability to reduce visual clutter by turning off other players' effects would help.

• Batel.9206Batel.9206 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2020

Turning all player character models to "lowest" makes everyone appear like mannequins dressed identically...and still with the gigantic flashy effects. Mounts aren't affected, skills aren't affected, auras and blinged-out weapons aren't affected. It looks like the mannequins had a violent accident in an exploding glitter factory.
    Sure, it helps a tiny bit to reduce eyesores, but...not that much. Still can't see what's going on in combat if other players are around. The option to turn off effects would be greatly appreciated.

Don't cry, Daniel
    Fear not, Daniel
    Don't you know you're not alone?

• +1 from me for turning off the effects. It's insane and just makes us all stack because there isn't a hope in hell of seeing an incoming attack.