Why are Build Templates so Expensive? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Why are Build Templates so Expensive?

^Title.

I just discovered that i need to buy ~300 gems to Unlock a new Template. For EVERY Character i have seperatly!
Thats ~110 Gold each...whats up with that?

The funny thing is, this does NOT include new Equipment slots or account wide templates.
Those cost 500 gems each...
Thats ~184 Gold for one of those...

I mean come on...why the heck is this so Expensive?

<13

Comments

• hellsqueen.3045hellsqueen.3045 Member ✭✭✭

I can't really tell you/understand your unhappiness with this because:
    1. I don't use the build templates/gear templates
    2. That's because before those were a thing, I resorted to having a whole different character for each significantly different build I was going to have based on gear (eg. healing tempest, condi tempest/weaver and power weaver). So basically for the same results as a gear and build template, I was paying anywhere between 600-800 gems per new significantly different build depending if they were on sale or not.

So personally to me, paying that much for templates doesn't seem that extreme. The only added benefit to my strategy is that I get to play fashion wars more and I don't have to take up inventory slots with extra gear.

Founder of Affinitus Nemus [AFNM]
    "Join Us, We're Lonely" - Our Guild At Some Point

JUST LIKE THE LORAX, WE SPEAK FOR THE TREES!

• IndigoSundown.5419IndigoSundown.5419 Member ✭✭✭✭

Why? As is always the case when a business does something, the answer is money. As more and more players max bank space, bag slots and shared inventory over time, ANet needed a new convenience utility to replace that revenue.

Sure, you can get them with gold. However, gold going into the exchange makes buying gold with gems more attractive. Whether you buy with gems or gold, ANet wins.

That said, the revenue from last quarter showed a drop quarter-on-quarter, so the load-outs (not really templates) were probably not the big hit ANet might have hoped for,

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

• Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2020

It's a good question but you have to keep in mind they are operating on a micro-transaction model (many low dollar purchases <$10) not gold to gems.

Build templates should have really been account-wide (800 gems or something akin to storage expander / bank tab/ additional craft license) because even with the sale yesterday to 210 gems the PvE playerbase has close to no reason to buy it. If you PvE only then you can buy an equipment template and use all 3 default build templates for PvE and cover power+condi+support.
    If you PvE+ WvW you can use the first 2 for PvE and third for WvW. If you play all 3 modes and have more than 3 equipment templates then it actually becomes meaningful. However, at the same time it also means you invested heavily into the template system already.

In its current state if you WvW it is more affordable to get a character slot even with discounts (2 equip @ 350 gems= 700 gems already , if you add in a build template @ discounted rate of 210 gems or two it becomes well over 800 gems). The only time it would make sense is if you need exactly one equipment template, which means 500+300 = 800 gems , or discounted yesterday it was 350+210=560 which is coincidentally the price of a discounted character slot. That's a strong argument for having a bulk price for equipment templates when multiple are purchased for a single character , while also implementing account-wide build template upgrades.

In addition, having dedicated WvW character slots means you will not waste utility primers or ascended food durations. Hellsqueen's suggestion of one character per spec isn't viable for WvW because you might get stuck in queue ; having a dedicated WvW character gets around this (especially if it's an engineer scrapper in the current meta).

Side note/observations : I don't anticipate that equipment templates will drop much further than the sale yesterday of 30% to 350 gems, as they compete with bag slots.

Even with the large discount of 40% yesterday (to 300 gems) on build storage it really isn't appealing because the maximum build storage limit wasn't increased and the amount you get per purchase is still 3 slots.

Personally I have purchased equipment templates but not build templates or build storage. If you WvW at all you really should have some equipment templates (because very people run toughness/vitality in PvE) unless you make a few extra characters dedicated for WvW.

Guardian : power, condi quickness , support (minstrel), hybrid WvW = +2 ; would not do this if you don't have legendary armor+ weapons (axe is used for quickness support , hybrid, condi)
    Mesmer: boon chrono (quickness/alacrity), power , condi = +1 ; would not do this if you don't have legendary armor + weapons (sword used on power + boon)
    Rev : power (WvW before Feb 25) , condi, alacrity = +1
    Ele : power, condi, heal tempest spec = +1 ; for power weaver in WvW just swap trinkets to marauder
    Necromancer: power, condi, hybrid cele support (WVW) = +1
    Warrior : power, power WvW ... I don't run condi warrior , if cleric support warrior becomes a WvW staple that would be +1 template
    Engineer: power, power DPS WvW ... I don't run support scrapper in WvW anymore but this would be an additional +1 purchase if I did ; I don't find condi engineer enjoyable (but if I needed to it has legendary armor)
    Thief: power, power staff WvW
    Ranger: power (spotter/frost spirit), heal (harrier ; frost spirit/spotter) ... I don't run condi ranger and other than trolling Fridays pre-reset with berserker ranger I don't play ranger often in WvW

Total = 6 added right now , projected additional 2-3
    For 9 character slots that is 5040-7200 gems (~$63 - $90) ; whereas for 9 equip templates it's 3150-4500 gems (~$39-56) depending on sale

• Vilin.8056Vilin.8056 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2020

Comparing templates against character slots costs isn't fair, they functions differently as a whole.

The templates don't just adding up space and convenience, they also powers up the character. Imagine a DPS Soulbeast moving away from battle for a mere 5 seconds then comeback as a full support druid, then swap back as DPS the same manner with a fully buffed squad, this is overpowered like never before.

Thanks to them, classes with powerful support skills (guards, ranger, and even necro) vastly overpower other classes on contents where you can easily move out of combat.

Sure it does feel somewhat overpriced, but on another perspective this is a feature more powerful than legendary equipments.

edited March 28, 2020

@Vilin, unless you mean for WvW, that isn't relevant. Why?
    Because if you have a dedicated character slot for WvW you will have 3 build templates and 2 equipment templates. In your example you can swap between power ranger and support druid (neither are meta in WvW anyway). A more likely scenario is a swap between:
    Engi: DPS scrapper and heal scrapper (power holo isn't common even if it is in PVP),
    Guard: burn guard/power roaming guard (core/DH) and support firebrand,
    Rev: power herald and condi renegade/condi herald (heal renegade/herald isn't really a thing right now),
    Necro: power reaper and condi/ cele support scourge,
    Ele: heal tempest and power staff weaver (condi ele isn't really a thing),
    Warrior: DPS spellbreaker and cleric shout warrior (power berserker arc divider builds can share the gear with DPS spellbreaker for the most part other than weapon swap),
    Thief: there's no real common condi thieves except for daggers and pistols due to deadly ambition nerf so it's mainly marauder staff on power (so just weapon swap),
    Mesmer: much less common after chrono nerf and mirage nerf , only really see core power shatter / core condi PU,
    Ranger: power (nerfed) , heal (offmeta) ; condi rangers are typically unwanted (especially due to projectile/2 target melee range) so this is unlikely to be a realistic scenario.

In PvP your templates are all locked out once the match starts so the only templates viable for PvP are equipment templates + build storage. Unless you play more than 2 different PvP equipments constantly then equipment templates aren't that attractive, especially since swapping amulet+rune+sigil is much faster than swapping 12+ pieces of gear ( 6 armor, back, 2 rings, amulet, 2 trinkets , weapons , any +5 WvW infusions) for WvW.

• Vilin.8056Vilin.8056 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2020

@Infusion.7149 said:
    @Vilin, unless you mean for WvW, that isn't relevant. Why?
    Because if you have a dedicated character slot for WvW you will have 3 build templates and 2 equipment templates. In your example you can swap between power ranger and support druid (neither are meta in WvW anyway). A more likely scenario is a swap between:
    Engi: DPS scrapper and heal scrapper (power holo isn't common even if it is in PVP),
    Guard: burn guard/power roaming guard (core/DH) and support firebrand,
    Rev: power herald and condi renegade/condi herald (heal renegade/herald isn't really a thing right now),
    Necro: power reaper and condi/ cele support scourge,
    Ele:: heal tempest and power staff weaver (condi ele isn't really a thing),
    Warrior: DPS spellbreaker and cleric shout warrior (power berserker arc divider builds can share the gear with DPS spellbreaker for the most part other than weapon swap),
    Thief: there's no real common condi thieves except for daggers and pistols due to deadly ambition nerf so it's mainly marauder staff on power (so just weapon swap),
    Mesmer: much less common after chrono nerf and mirage nerf , only really see core power shatter / core condi PU,
    Rangers: power (nerfed) , heal (offmeta) ; condi rangers are typically unwanted (especially due to projectile/2 target melee range) so this is unlikely to be a realistic scenario.

In PvP your templates are all locked out once the match starts so the only templates viable for PvP are equipment templates + build storage. Unless you play more than 2 different PvP equipments constantly then equipment templates aren't that attractive, especially since swapping amulet+rune+sigil is much faster than swapping 12+ pieces of gear ( 6 armor, back, 2 rings, amulet, 2 trinkets , weapons , any +5 WvW infusions) for WvW.

I take these example from open world boss meta, squad based story instance, fractals contents where people would be more commonly engage with an OOC option.

But yes, being able to swap between roaming builds and squad meta in mere seconds is insane in WvW.

• Game of Bones.8975Game of Bones.8975 Member ✭✭✭✭

For right now I'd say it's simple 'supply and demand.'

It may not be exactly what people were looking for when asking for transferable templates, but it's what we have to work with.

I bought the package of multiple additional templates when they first came out and were on sale, I still a couple left unused.

I use the builds templates much more than equipment templates.

"That's what" -- She

• I mean for every Build template for a character is another character you don't need to buy/make for builds as a swap convenience.

• Kanok.3027Kanok.3027 Member ✭✭✭

@Danikat.8537 said:
    Probably because players kept asking for templates for years , so someone at Anet thought they'd be willing to pay this much to get them. and said they'd pay for them.

FTFY.

Players tend to forget that they said they'd pay for a feature they were asking for and once it came out, it's "surprised pikachu" face. If people say they're willing to pay for them, and they sell them, then saying it's unfair or that it's all Anet's fault is rather...well, stupid. (inb4 my post gets removed)

I Rev, therefore I am. Don't ruin my favorite class, please and thank you.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

While I am a fan and defender of the gemstore I will say this much.

Never spend your real world money on ANYTHING!! in any MMO that is Character locked.
    It is a complete waste of your money.
    Only buy account upgrades that you can use on all your characters, those are far more worth it.

• Tzarakiel.7490Tzarakiel.7490 Member ✭✭✭

If every purchased upgrade unlocked a slot for every character on my account every time I would have been willing to pay the current price or even 3 times that. The way the slot unlocks currently work they would have to drop the price to 20% for me to buy any.

PvP? What's that? Never heard of it.

• vesica tempestas.1563vesica tempestas.1563 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2020

@Fenella.2634 said:

@Kanok.3027 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:
    Probably because players kept asking for templates for years , so someone at Anet thought they'd be willing to pay this much to get them. and said they'd pay for them.

Players tend to forget that they said they'd pay for a feature they were asking for and once it came out, it's "surprised pikachu" face.

Not really. It's absolutely fine that they sell the feature via gemstore, but the way it's done (3x monetization) and the total costs are ridiculous. Maxing out one character of each profession costs several hundred euros / dollars. oO And no, this can't be just solved by gold-> gems, since farming that much gold literally takes years.
    Plus, even maxed out characters have far less templates than they had with the free, fan-made version.

As far as I am concerned, they should just buy the code from ArcTemplates and sell that to us. I am fine with spending money on the game, but not on our current build "templates". They are certainly not worth this much money. Or the time for goldfarming.

its not ridiculous, you don't pay a sub. Instead of a sub, we want them to put stuff we really want into the shop, so we get really value out of our investment. That's exactly what they have done, perfect. Furthermore You can play GW2 happily without templates for free. Equally you can get them from the shop for free by exchanging gold.

If it makes it easier, spend £10 a month on gems and pretend its a sub then get your templates for free.

£10 a month would give you 35-45 build templates a year btw.

"Any path that narrows future possibilities may become a lethal trap. Humans do not thread their way through a maze; they scan a vast horizon filled with unique opportunities." - The Spacing Guild Handbook.

Beware the meta!

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Trinnitty.8256 said:
    They are overpriced. If it was account wide unlocks I could stomach it. IMO, big blunder by anet that will continue to haunt them until they do something about them.

How will this "continue to haunt them"? If the market can't manage the price point, then Anet would have done something about it by now. It appears more likely that enough players are purchasing slots under the current model to satisfy their pricing goals. If that isn't the case, then they probably would have made some change well before now.

These are not required to play the game and in no way prevent any player from completing content. They weren't included in the original release either, and no one was unable to play or complete content in their absence. They are purely optional, and before someone slams me with ARC, that wasn't in the original release either and players still managed to play and complete content. If the price offered by Anet is too high, then don't buy them.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Agree fully. Some stuff could have their prices significantly toned down. Among them, build templates and 2400+ gems for a set of infinite tools?? O.K.

• vesica tempestas.1563vesica tempestas.1563 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2020

@Fenella.2634 said:
    I was not talking about getting them for free.
    However, the current price is way too high for a single feature. I am not willing to spend hundreds of euros just for loadouts. Not in one go and not over time.

, you can look at anything in isolation and say that's too expensive/too cheap. However the monetisation model in GW2 is not just load outs. This is about something in the shop that someone wants and is not prepared to pay for it, that's buyers privilege - Supply and demand will determine the price ultimately. You could equally argue a mount at 2k gems is crazy, or a key at 125 is crazy, or storage expander at 600 is crazy, however within the context of a free to play AAA mmorpg where there is no buy to win its perfectly fine.

Another way to look at it is desirability, a thing that everyone desires will ofc be at a premium (otherwise Anet are commiting commercial suicide right?) , and you would expect the opposite of things that have low demand. Now compare a build template at 300-500 against storage boosters. No-one complains about those prices that have been like that for years.

"Any path that narrows future possibilities may become a lethal trap. Humans do not thread their way through a maze; they scan a vast horizon filled with unique opportunities." - The Spacing Guild Handbook.

Beware the meta!

• Shadowmoon.7986Shadowmoon.7986 Member ✭✭✭

Blame mike o and company, the bad business decisions that lead to 2 projects being cancelled lead to templates being over monetized. Ironically this also lead to anets lowest quarter. Honestly, it should have been saved for cantha, and have it be an expac selling point.

• Fenella.2634Fenella.2634 Member ✭✭✭

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:

@Fenella.2634 said:
    I was not talking about getting them for free.
    However, the current price is way too high for a single feature. I am not willing to spend hundreds of euros just for loadouts. Not in one go and not over time.

, you can look at anything in isolation and say that's too expensive/too cheap. However the monetisation model in GW2 is not just load outs. This is about something in the shop that someone wants and is not prepared to pay for it, that's buyers privilege - Supply and demand will determine the price ultimately. You could equally argue a mount at 2k gems is crazy, or a key at 125 is crazy, or storage expander at 600 is crazy, however within the context of a free to play AAA mmorpg where there is no buy to win its perfectly fine.

Another way to look at it is desirability, a thing that everyone desires will ofc be at a premium (otherwise Anet are commiting commercial suicide right?) , and you would expect the opposite of things that have low demand. Now compare a build template at 300-500 against storage boosters. No-one complains about those prices that have been like that for years.

So... What? I either have to agree to all prices or to none?
    I do spend money on the game. ^^ I am still making differences and choices. And as discussed above, the "templates" do not seem to sell well, so yeah. Supply and Demand indeed.

• Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭

Only Anet knows how well they sell but imo they are way to expensive (both equipment and build). I was really hyped and was sure this will be one time purchase for unlock of infinite templates or at least way way more than what we have available now. If they are to be interesting to me the price should be like 10 or 20% of what they are now. I am not buying any because having a few extra slots is nothing.

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

Why? Market research indicated these pricing levels were adequate and appropriate for the type of item being sold, and within tolerances, or what people would be willing to pay (even though specific individuals, such as yourselves, might balk at it). This was a measured and calculated MSRP, not just random dice rolls.

Welcome to the world of business.

If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

• flog.3485flog.3485 Member ✭✭✭

At the end of the day, we also need to consider the fact that guild wars is a very alt-friendly game.
    Deep down, I am sure Anet prefers to have players buying and playing many alts than having players only playing a few characters with many different builds that could be free.

Sounds like the cost of build templates is just there to break it even the cost of development and the opportunity of players having accumulated many alts over the years.

• Rukia.4802Rukia.4802 Member ✭✭✭

The real question is why aren't they completely free like GW1 and every other MMO that let's you use addons or has the built in free feature to do it.
    I will never ever support this scummy predatory clown fiesta of a build template system.

GW2 need list:
    GW1 Assassin elite spec
    Option to hide party/squad nameplate
    Particle effect slider/ability to turn friendly player effects off

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

Character bound is kind of strange, when most other upgrades are account wide - eg storage, bank and so on.

My ears, how are you! | Hammer Mesmer - elite spec concept.

• Shao.7236Shao.7236 Member ✭✭✭✭

They cost the same as a character slot so that whether you make a new one or buy the templates, the price is the same.

Willing to help with anything Revenant related.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Shao.7236 said:
    They cost the same as a character slot so that whether you make a new one or buy the templates, the price is the same.

But with character you get 2 equipment slot and 3 trait/skill slots for the price equal of 1 equipment and 1 trait/skill slot right?

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

They would have generated a lot of good will, interest, and almost certainly increased their revenue through other gem store items by making it a free and simple feature like the wardrobe system was and like the addon was.

Increase revenue by making it free? How does that work?

Very.
    Casual.

• Blueberry.8095Blueberry.8095 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2020

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

They would have generated a lot of good will, interest, and almost certainly increased their revenue through other gem store items by making it a free and simple feature like the wardrobe system was and like the addon was.

I'd assume he meant that a good QoL add-on would keep more happy players in-game actively. I don't have the stat but apparently a few youtuber stopped playing the game on the "loadout" release because the tripple monotization and it's clunkiness of the functionality has reduced convenience to the veteran players. So if they didn't quit, the people who watches their stream, watches the tutorial provided by them, watches how they praises the game (free advertisement), will bring in new players or keep the old players playing: some of those still-active players could have spent real money on gem cards to acquire cosmetics, other QoL like bank tabs, and etc...; If the veteran who teaches the game quit, there'd be less free advertisement to the game. That's what I think but I could be wrong.

To answer the OP's question: I don't know either, I have predicted that they'd charge for it before the release, but the cost was far far exceeded what I was willing to pay for. It's not like I was expecting it to be free, but rather it's more like they're charging too much that has disappointed me. I wish they were cheaper and account wide, the tripple monetization was the reason why I still haven't spent a dime in this game ever since.

• mtpelion.4562mtpelion.4562 Member ✭✭✭

I like the idea of additional build and gear slots, however, just like bag slots, I'm not going to buy them without an account-wide option.

I already went through the trouble of buying character slots to specialize my characters to fit various roles, so added slots aren't going to really help me that much 7 years late.

• Josiah.2967Josiah.2967 Member ✭✭✭

Marketing missed the mark. They thought people would pay the current amount. They want to make the max profits, so they went for it.

We know this failed. Gem to gold prices were not impacted. March sales have more impact. Which means, not many players were not converting gold to gems to buy these templates. It's safe to assume demand was lower than expected. The most wanted items have more of an impact on gold to gem prices. Even the unicorn??? had more of an impact. These should have been account bound instead of character bound. Then I could justify the price.

Now they are in a conundrum. They have to keep the current purchasers happy, and do not want to be forced to refund them.

• A lot of players are complaining that build and gear templates are not account-wide. The reason is simple- some players have 5 character slots, some have 70. So you're giving 14 times the storage space to the to the accounts that have topped out their character a slots. Not that accounts with 70 characters slots are common, but accounts with 10 slots probably are, and accounts with 20 slots probably aren't that uncommon. So there's really no way to make certain account bound things fair. Plus it'll use up a lot more space on accounts that have a lot more character slots.(space those players are getting for free compared to players with less slots) And it would use up a lot of server storage space, which may actually be the driving factor.

In this case IMO,. they charged far too much for something they felt they couldn't make account bound. If we have to pay for each and every tab, they ought to be more reasonably priced. Yeah, yeah, gear tabs give you storage space, but when it's cheaper to buy a whole character slot for the storage, something is wrong with your pricing.

• TwoGhosts.6790TwoGhosts.6790 Member ✭✭✭

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:
    Probably because players kept asking for templates for years, so someone at Anet thought they'd be willing to pay this much to get them.

I use the 3 build slots in-game for the builds I use most often and then have a file on my computer with all my builds saved as chat codes (with notes to say what they are) so if I want a different one I can just load it from there, overwriting one of the 'defaults' then replace it afterwards. It's not quite as quick as saving them all in-game but it means I can have as many builds as I want saved for free.

And so far none of my characters have more than 2 sets of equipment. Honestly I'm more inclined to work with what I've got than make or buy a whole new set for perfect stats for one part of the game. If I'd gotten rid of one of my duplicate elementalists or engineers and just used 1 for everything they'd need more equipment space, but I wouldn't want to do that even if it was free.

It was a tactical mistake to try to directly monetize this feature. Not only did it lead to them over-engineering it, costing them god only knows how much unnecessary time and money, but it also represents gem store overloading, which usually results in people losing interest and spending less money. It makes it worse when it's something that we had for free through addons beforehand.

They would have saved on cost, generated good will, spiked player interest, and almost certainly increased their revenue indirectly through other gem store items by making it a free and simple feature like the wardrobe system was and like the addon was.

This.
    I'm not playing now.
    On reflection I can attribute my disdain of the game at the moment to the whole templates kitten.
    Such a shame.

@Elden Arnaas.4870 said:
    A lot of players are complaining that build and gear templates are not account-wide. The reason is simple- some players have 5 character slots, some have 70. So you're giving 14 times the storage space to the to the accounts that have topped out their character a slots. Not that accounts with 70 characters slots are common, but accounts with 10 slots probably are, and accounts with 20 slots probably aren't that uncommon. So there's really no way to make certain account bound things fair. Plus it'll use up a lot more space on accounts that have a lot more character slots.(space those players are getting for free compared to players with less slots) And it would use up a lot of server storage space, which may actually be the driving factor.

In this case IMO,. they charged far too much for something they felt they couldn't make account bound. If we have to pay for each and every tab, they ought to be more reasonably priced. Yeah, yeah, gear tabs give you storage space, but when it's cheaper to buy a whole character slot for the storage, something is wrong with your pricing.

Unlike gear templates which have to be balanced against both bag slots and character slots, having 71 character slots doesn't suddenly make 71 different builds viable which is a strong argument for accountwide. It's also highly likely you will need to purchase equipment templates. There's already been a precedent set with additional crafting license at 800 gems : having an additional crafting profession per character is not gamebreaking either.
    The pricing could have been far less to make it more viable or even per character (instead of a build template , all 3 locked templates are unlocked) even if it weren't accountbound. The bundle that was run a while ago (2 equipment templates, 2 build templates, 1 build storage, exp boosters + makeover kit) was a joke, let's face it. Unless you want/need to hotswap a build via hotkey, there's no direct advantage for a build template over build storage or loading a chatcode.

In addition, build templates are literally one line if you look at the code and do not include note on which weapon was equipped. Equipment templates have to account for rarity , skin, stat selection, and upgrades while also not being sharable due to technical limitations and equipment variance.

edited April 1, 2020

@Elden Arnaas.4870 said:
    A lot of players are complaining that build and gear templates are not account-wide. The reason is simple- some players have 5 character slots, some have 70. So you're giving 14 times the storage space to the to the accounts that have topped out their character a slots. Not that accounts with 70 characters slots are common, but accounts with 10 slots probably are, and accounts with 20 slots probably aren't that uncommon. So there's really no way to make certain account bound things fair. Plus it'll use up a lot more space on accounts that have a lot more character slots.(space those players are getting for free compared to players with less slots) And it would use up a lot of server storage space, which may actually be the driving factor.

Its totaly fair since the low slot accounts can just buy character slots and get as many as the 70 character slot guy over time.
    You know they dident just magicaly get 70 character slots they bought them for gems the same way anyone else can.

• TinkTinkPOOF.9201TinkTinkPOOF.9201 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Danikat.8537 said:
    Probably because players kept asking for templates for years, so someone at Anet thought they'd be willing to pay this much to get them.

I use the 3 build slots in-game for the builds I use most often and then have a file on my computer with all my builds saved as chat codes (with notes to say what they are) so if I want a different one I can just load it from there, overwriting one of the 'defaults' then replace it afterwards. It's not quite as quick as saving them all in-game but it means I can have as many builds as I want saved for free.

And so far none of my characters have more than 2 sets of equipment. Honestly I'm more inclined to work with what I've got than make or buy a whole new set for perfect stats for one part of the game. If I'd gotten rid of one of my duplicate elementalists or engineers and just used 1 for everything they'd need more equipment space, but I wouldn't want to do that even if it was free.

LOL, no, not at all.

Players asked for them, anet ignored them and a person in their free time coded an addon for the game that gave you templates, most people stopped asking because this existed, which btw was FREE and UNLIMITED. Anet then figured since the work was done for them, they would also add it to the game (which should have existed from the start), but in a broken and not as functional way, then tell the person who offered the free template addon they can no longer update their addon, and then charge way to much for each tab and not even include the weapons tab AND it's not account wide!!

"When you power creep the game and make it so that spam gameplay is nearly as effective as deep knowledge and nuance, the quality of players will decrease." -Exedore

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

LOL, no, not at all.

Players asked for them, anet ignored them and a person in their free time coded an addon for the game that gave you templates, most people stopped asking because this existed, which btw was FREE and UNLIMITED. Anet then figured since the work was done for them, they would also add it to the game (which should have existed from the start), but in a broken and not as functional way, then tell the person who offered the free template addon they can no longer update their addon, and then charge way to much for each tab and not even include the weapons tab AND it's not account wide!!

The person who made it knew from the start that when anet launched their own they had to stop update theirs.

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

They haven't explained why it is so expensive or ever will.

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

The more free quality of life features that get added, the more people are willing to spend their money on fashion. Good will begets good will.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

The more free quality of life features that get added, the more people are willing to spend their money on fashion. Good will begets good will.

I disagree. People will continue to ask for free things once a company goes that route. GW2 is free and look now how many things players want for free.

Very.
    Casual.