Gem Store Purchase regrets

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home Portal Stone - I think I've maybe used it 2-3 times in 4 years (I just always forget my home instance exists and never use it)

A couple of outfits & a wizard hat which I've never used and don't really know why I brought to start with.

I don't really regret any of the purchases as such as the money went to supporting the game, but they're the gem store purchases which have been my most pointless ones.

Mistlock Sanctuary PassI really like that place, not only for the convenience, also for the area itself. Everything looks so good, the NPCs, the architecture, the sound-track is also great. I prefer to park most of my utility-characters in one location, close to banks and crafting-stations. That also applies for the Mistlock Sanctuary. But if I dare to leave a character there, especially in front of the bank, it takes ages to load.

• Quickly switching through characters to craft components and store them on another.
  • Quickly return with a gather-character which just ran out of gathering-tools.
  • Do the Daily Mystic Forger or craft several MF recipes within close range to the bank/storage and vendors.

All the reasons I need the convenience area for, the Mistlock Sanctuary cannot satisfy due to its intense loading times. It is too popular :S. I bought the pass, used it a few weeks and now it rests in my bank. At the moment I returned to my old HQ in Rata Sum, which takes a fraction of the loading-time, has awesome architecture and also pretty nice access to the convenience-relevant services. I rather return there with my gather-characters to restock, although I have to walk back to the spot on my own.

Next time my gold-balance reaches a healthy level again, I gonna craft a Portal Scroll for Rata Sum. For the times Rata Sum is crowded, e.g. during SAB, I use my Ebonhawke Portal Scroll.

Garden Plots. I purchased them to create ascended seeds and share them with the guild.

Three weeks later, you can no longer share ascended seeds with the guild... I always go to my fiances home instance as we worked hard on filling that up, so mine is literally useless and unused now.

Molten Alliance Mining Pick. I never liked the animation but I bought it back when it was the only infinite mining pick, because at the time it seemed like that would be the only option (it had come and gone from the gem store two or three times before I bought it and no others had been introduced). About a month later the bone pick was released and eventually I got the watchwork pick, which is the one I mainly use now. Had I known I'd have waited to get one.

@kratan.4619 said:Silver salvage o matic, i have so many stones to make the mystic salvage kits that I never use it.

That's why I haven't bought an infinite kit yet. I've told myself that when I get down to 30 Mystic Forge Stones (which is still enough for 10 mystic kits) I'll look out for a discount on the infinite kits and buy one or two (not sure which yet) but so far that's never happened.

Most i regret buying are probably the black lion garden plot deeds. I bought both two at the same time with the plan to create a small flax-farm in my home instance. I didnt read up anything on them beforehand so i only found out about my plans not working out when i had unlocked all the seeds. Now they are left pretty much unused, i planted some various types of berries but almost never bother to gather them since they are only worth a few coppers each.

Black Lion Keys are definitely up there. I haven't spent a lot of money on them. I bought 5 when they were on sale this last time and managed to get Rox's Quiver from it. I don't have a character to use it on, but it can be difficult to nab from the gem store since for whatever reason they like to have a couple items that rarely show up in it. The rest of the keys have been garbage. Including the ones I've gotten from mapping, I still don't have enough scraps to get anything.

Anything I bought that wasn't account bound that honestly should be. Bought two bag expansions for my Mesmer and now I don't even play her. Haven't bought any since! I bought one equipment template. Never again. The equipment template is being put to use. I just felt bad about it.

I bought a couple backpack skins early on and haven't used them for years. I bought a couple additional bag slots for characters only to delete the character later.

I don't regret any of my BL Keys; I knew what I was getting into. Not many times can you gamble and always get something in return. The cost/benefit is greatly skewed compared to just buying what you want, but I did get one of the permanent BL gizmos (that I promptly sold for around 1000G).

Now I only buy "account bound" items, but never novelties or toys.

The very first mount skin pack to be released was the halloween skins and though I hated the skeleton design, you could sort of make that semi invisible by using certain dye combinations. After all the other mount skins that have come out, I NEVER use that set. It's such a waste.I also regret MOST of the outfits I bought too.

Honestly, what ticks me off is how the daily sales nowadays require you to check every single day to see if the thing you want has come up. I had something I was waiting for the entire sale for, and then I missed it because it came up on the one day I didn't think to check. Guess ArenaNet isn't getting those gems until the next round... assuming I don't forget to check on the wrong day again.

@draxynnic.3719 said:Honestly, what ticks me off is how the daily sales nowadays require you to check every single day to see if the thing you want has come up. I had something I was waiting for the entire sale for, and then I missed it because it came up on the one day I didn't think to check. Guess ArenaNet isn't getting those gems until the next round... assuming I don't forget to check on the wrong day again.

well it IS your fault for not checking , not theirs. Hence the word, ‘daily’

Trying to think of something, but generally I wouldn’t get it if I didn’t want it. I guess some of my black lion keys have turned out pretty bad, but overall I get good stuff enough that I don’t regret them. I also have a completionist compulsion so anything I get satisfies that “one day I’ll have it all” feeling/goal

Can't think of anything myself either. There are a few things I don't use anymore, but I did use them at the time and I don't mind having the option to go back to them at some point.

The only thing I definitely didn't need to purchase was a second account. I think I did that because it was cheap at the time, and I suspected the collector's edition pre-order wasn't going to net me beta access in this country. Turns out it did, and after a few expansions plus mount and outfit skins it's no longer that cheap.

Still, I don't spend very much on games, and I don't regret what I've sent ANet's way. I do wish they'd pay more attention to certain parts of the game, but they've released two of the three RPGs I've ever played for more than 1000 hours. So they've done plenty of things right.