Meta build for ranger

Idhayan Thomas.2697

@"FrownyClown.8402" said:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAExflFwCZesO2JOePpr1Sm2cA-zZIDBtB

Seen ppl run similar to this in pvp.

Soulbeast better at support imo

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POAFcEG7TZFsQGE7hhiJ/1+rskpNH-z5AfCCcA

have seen the first build in pvp...not sure how it s viable with berserker amulet(18k hp and almost base toughness)...second one is newer to me...all i see is heal via regen and some endurance share and stun break ..have to try it to check how much this works...thanks for sharing the builds

have seen the first build in pvp...not sure how it s viable with berserker amulet(18k hp and almost base toughness)...second one is newer to me...all i see is heal via regen and some endurance share and stun break ..have to try it to check how much this works...thanks for sharing the builds

The heal is because you can whirl in it and gain health from wind borne notes, plus you have a leap and blast finisher. You get a 10k heal to allies every 40s as well as 3s of resistance. I've run it and its viable, but honestly firebrand and tempest offer more.

Also first build was a guess. Could definitely go demolishers and maybe drop something for sic em.

@Eurantien.4632 said:

@Eurantien.4632 said:For..... PvP or....?

PVP it s

DPS Soulbeast is still viable, and core ranger is arguably one of the best side noders. Though I expect nerfs to these soon.

There are also quite a few hybrid/condi builds that are decent for just fun queues.

Expecting nerfs to BOTH soulbeast and core ranger? Hahaha, mate. Core ranger is decent , but can't force out-duel an ele or rev fast enough to warrant the side-noder role. At this stage, you're better off with a thief - similar damage, better survivability and utility.

Yes, a good ranger can stomp some pugs. So can necromancer, revenant, etc. but with less effort.

The more ANET nerfs ranger's damage, the more dependant they become on the WS tree, and the more defensive utilities they're forced to slot. The further they do this, the more and more ranger loses damage, since they lose both passive AND active damage modifiers. The end result is a cumulative effect that affects them more than other classes, because if ranger cannot deal damage and apply pressure on sides ... What do they do, really? Teamfight with the new 5-target Whirling Defense? And Mender Amulet?

Please.

The heal is because you can whirl in it and gain health from wind borne notes, plus you have a leap and blast finisher. You get a 10k heal to allies every 40s as well as 3s of resistance. I've run it and its viable, but honestly firebrand and tempest offer more.

Also first build was a guess. Could definitely go demolishers and maybe drop something for sic em.

I agree with you that this can be used as some decent builds...but they can never be meta....because they simply dont have enough against most classes> @NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

The more ANET nerfs ranger's damage, the more dependant they become on the WS tree, and the more defensive utilities they're forced to slot. The further they do this, the more and more ranger loses damage, since they lose both passive AND active damage modifiers. The end result is a cumulative effect that affects them more than other classes, because if ranger cannot deal damage and apply pressure on sides ... What do they do, really? Teamfight with the new 5-target Whirling Defense? And Mender Amulet?

Please.

This is the very impression I was having about ranger ...very true matedps can be spiky but all stars need to be aligned...with recent nerfs the max spike is not that fancy enough to create impact...support roles are underwhelming compared to other classes...condi classes are a joke tbh...i couldn get past plat 1 with any build(playing with 250-300 ping on avg)...i was not sure if i am not skillful enough or the rotations on ranger classes are weak to carry matches

I agree with you that this can be used as some decent builds...but they can never be meta....because they simply dont have enough against most classes> @"NorthernRedStar.3054" said:

Please.

This is the very impression I was having about ranger ...very true matedps can be spiky but all stars need to be aligned...with recent nerfs the max spike is not that fancy enough to create impact...support roles are underwhelming compared to other classes...condi classes are a joke tbh...i couldn get past plat 1 with any build(playing with 250-300 ping on avg)...i was not sure if i am not skillful enough or the rotations on ranger classes are weak to carry matches

I'd like to add that since ranger COMPLETELY lacks access to boon removal (outside sigils - again, you lose damage modifiers if you run evocation etc.), they're effectively hard-counted by perma-protection appliers like prot holo. If you drop intelligence you'll be hitting like a wet fart most of the time.

Pretty much all classes have the tools to negate a lot of ranger's damage and/or pet pressure. The complaints are null and often completely misinformed. For example, people cry about pets hitting them for ~7-9k with a beast skill - why does this happen? Because people don't know how ranger's damage modifiers work. The sole thing they're aware of is "they got dem dmgez!" Whereas in reality, that's a combination of multiple one-attack modifiers comboed (i.e. cancel-headbutt) with one another. One stun-break / evade ruins the whole thing, leaving ranger back at tame range of damage - which is where you'd rather have a thief or warrior on the job.

"But I can't hold a node while ranger's pet is smacking me as they rapid fire!" - can you sit in the middle of the node against mesmer? Deadeye? Firebrand???

People do not like or understand classes / specialization that rely on precise timings to unleash damage / comboes. They're too used to spamming mindlessly on elementalists, necromancers, revenants and guardians. When someone outplays them, they're in shock - it's not a playstyle they're familiar with. It's unfair!

I agree with you that this can be used as some decent builds...but they can never be meta....because they simply dont have enough against most classes> @NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

Please.

I'd like to add that since ranger COMPLETELY lacks access to boon removal (outside sigils - again, you lose damage modifiers if you run evocation etc.), they're effectively hard-counted by perma-protection appliers like prot holo. If you drop intelligence you'll be hitting like a wet fart most of the time.

Pretty much all classes have the tools to negate a lot of ranger's damage and/or pet pressure. The complaints are null and often completely misinformed. For example, people cry about pets hitting them for ~7-9k with a beast skill - why does this happen? Because people don't know how ranger's damage modifiers work. The sole thing they're aware of is "they got dem dmgez!" Whereas in reality, that's a combination of multiple one-attack modifiers comboed (i.e. cancel-headbutt) with one another. One stun-break / evade ruins the whole thing, leaving ranger back at tame range of damage - which is where you'd rather have a thief or warrior on the job.

"But I can't hold a node while ranger's pet is smacking me as they rapid fire!" - can you sit in the middle of the node against mesmer? Deadeye? Firebrand???

People do not like or understand classes / specialization that rely on precise timings to unleash damage / comboes. They're too used to spamming mindlessly on elementalists, necromancers, revenants and guardians. When someone outplays them, they're in shock - it's not a playstyle they're familiar with.
It's unfair!

after patch the dmg modifiers are way too hard to proc and with low boon duration it s hell now

@"FrownyClown.8402" said:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAExflFwCZesO2JOePpr1Sm2cA-zZIDBtB

Seen ppl run similar to this in pvp.

Soulbeast better at support imo

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POAFcEG7TZFsQGE7hhiJ/1+rskpNH-z5AfCCcA

tried playing with the support build...was quite good ...needs some practice....but i get that it still wont be enough to be meta...useful for certain party composition but not always...lack of condi removal except for pet skill is terrible...when focused it s hard to survive...

speaking of cleanses, i was checking number of cleanses and interrupts warrior has and also their cds. and traited shrug it off (which is a stunbreak-automatic) and rangers have to compulsorily use WS for decent condi cleanse...rangers can never match bcoz it s all screwed up

tried playing with the support build...was quite good ...needs some practice....but i get that it still wont be enough to be meta...useful for certain party composition but not always...lack of condi removal except for pet skill is terrible...when focused it s hard to survive...

speaking of cleanses, i was checking number of cleanses and interrupts warrior has and also their cds. and traited shrug it off (which is a stunbreak-automatic) and rangers have to compulsorily use WS for decent condi cleanse...rangers can never match bcoz it s all screwed up

You could swap heals to bear stance and run more protection. Swap to moa stance, swap to protective ward

@Eurantien.4632 said:

PVP it s

DPS Soulbeast is still viable, and core ranger is arguably one of the best side noders. Though I expect nerfs to these soon.

There are also quite a few hybrid/condi builds that are decent for just fun queues.

A class that is good only for duelling...get nerfed for being too good at..duelling.....

@Arheundel.6451 said:

PVP it s

A class that is good only for duelling...get nerfed for being too good at..duelling.....

That's literally what is going to happen. Pet nerfs WILL happen. Or marksmanship nerfs.

@Eurantien.4632 said:That's literally what is going to happen. Pet nerfs WILL happen. Or marksmanship nerfs.If they nerf MM, the same people running it'll just switch to Skirm and hit real hard with a flanking burst and nobody's opinions will have changed, lol.It'll still be considered too high.

Also a strong chance they nerf both pets and MM and not just one or the other, tbh.

@Shagie.7612 said:

@"Eurantien.4632" said:That's literally what is going to happen. Pet nerfs WILL happen. Or marksmanship nerfs.If they nerf MM, the same people running it'll just switch to Skirm and hit real hard with a flanking burst and nobody's opinions will have changed, lol.It'll still be considered too high.

Also a strong chance they nerf both pets and MM and not just one or the other, tbh.

This was exactly my thinking when I made the post about SB adjustments, https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/101069/last-balance-chances-good-reasoning-bad-implementation#latest, I knew that the followup will be core ranger. If MM or pets will get nerfed now, it will be a double deep nerf for SB in terms of potential damage. Nerfing pets directly is not a good solution in general as pets don't scale so well in WvW as it is.

The main issue with core ranger is not the damage and not MM, it is how beefy the class is for what should have been a "glass cannon", setup. The reason is ofc WS and the ranger's stun breaks utilities. Core ranger can take advantage of the crazy value synergy between WS/BM/MM. WS utilities proc fury that proc remorseless and BM will give you the WK benefits on pet swap. Also, WS is the only trait-line to offer two stun breaks tied to a very strong utility effects and trait synergy . Protect me is also an issue, Why give the barrier to already a loaded skill? Why make the barrier so high without any regard to healing power?

The combination of GS block+the new protect me+2 WS stun breaks, make the core ranger way too tanky in this low damage meta which relied on CC+immob to lock targets down. Core ranger has the perfect counter kit for it. The free access to fury by a defensive line is also an issue.

Possible solutions:Protect me - if the barrier stays , lower the base barrier by 50%, make it scale with healing power.QZ - Remove the stun break from the skill - Making this utility 40 sec, just made this skill better and a defensive tool(which was supposed to be a nerf in the first place)WK-remove the fury from the trait. - It funny that brutish seals do only that(give fury), WK give it on top of ranger's best condi removal trait.Child of earth - Increase CD to 35(as it was 30 sec when TU was 25 sec, before patch)

If still over preformingIncrease CB to 20 secIncrease ZS to 20 sec.(making it more likely to proc any other swap)

I think the above will solve most issue without taking away potential damage from high risk high reward builds.This is only the nerf side, there are tons of things that should be buffed/adjusted. I also think they should re-do the last SB changes and implement ,my suggested adjustments in the link above.

@LughLongArm.5460 said:

@"Eurantien.4632" said:That's literally what is going to happen. Pet nerfs WILL happen. Or marksmanship nerfs.If they nerf MM, the same people running it'll just switch to Skirm and hit real hard with a flanking burst and nobody's opinions will have changed, lol.It'll still be considered too high.

This was exactly my thinking when I made the post about SB adjustments,
, I knew that the followup will be core ranger. If MM or pets will get nerfed now, it will be a double deep nerf for SB in terms of potential damage. Nerfing pets directly is not a good solution in general as pets don't scale so well in WvW as it is.

The main issue with core ranger is not the damage and not MM, it is how beefy the class is for what should have been a "glass cannon", setup. The reason is ofc WS and the ranger's stun breaks utilities. Core ranger can take advantage of the crazy value synergy between WS/BM/MM. WS utilities proc fury that proc remorseless and BM will give you the WK benefits on pet swap. Also, WS is the only trait-line to offer two stun breaks tied to a very strong utility effects and trait synergy . Protect me is also an issue, Why give the barrier to already a loaded skill? Why make the barrier so high without any regard to healing power?

The combination of GS block+the new protect me+2 WS stun breaks, make the core ranger way too tanky in this low damage meta which relied on CC+immob to lock targets down. Core ranger has the perfect counter kit for it. The free access to fury by a defensive line is also an issue.

Possible solutions:Protect me - if the barrier stays , lower the base barrier by 50%, make it scale with healing power.QZ - Remove the stun break from the skill - Making this utility 40 sec, just made this skill better and a defensive tool(which was supposed to be a nerf in the first place)WK-remove the fury from the trait. - It funny that brutish seals do only that(give fury), WK give it on top of ranger's best condi removal trait.Child of earth - Increase CD to 35(as it was 30 sec when TU was 25 sec, before patch)

If still over preformingIncrease CB to 20 secIncrease ZS to 20 sec.(making it more likely to proc any other swap)

I think the above will solve most issue without taking away potential damage from high risk high reward builds.This is only the nerf side, there are tons of things that should be buffed/adjusted. I also think they should re-do the last SB changes and implement ,my suggested adjustments in the link above.

why ranger topic always want to nerf its own profession:D

@Cyric.7813 said:

This was exactly my thinking when I made the post about SB adjustments,
, I knew that the followup will be core ranger. If MM or pets will get nerfed now, it will be a double deep nerf for SB in terms of potential damage. Nerfing pets directly is not a good solution in general as pets don't scale so well in WvW as it is.

why ranger topic always want to nerf its own profession:D

To make room the for necessary buffs. It is not like there are no buff suggestions on the forum.

@Shagie.7612 said:

@Eurantien.4632 said:That's literally what is going to happen. Pet nerfs WILL happen. Or marksmanship nerfs.If they nerf MM, the same people running it'll just switch to Skirm and hit real hard with a flanking burst and nobody's opinions will have changed, lol.It'll still be considered too high.

Nerfing MM significantly lowers pet damage and soulbeast damage.

Skirm really only offers ranger more damage.

@Eurantien.4632 said:

Nerfing MM significantly lowers pet damage and soulbeast damage.

Skirm really only offers ranger more damage.

I'll be honest: I wouldn't mind them nerfing Marksmanship because I only take it for two major traits anyways. Now, if they nerfed it, but reworked the minor traits for Opening Strike to be useful, that would be awesome.

Disclaimer: PvE Carebear

• 3 months later...