[Speculative Discussion] Pets for the Next Expansion

Dragon.4782

So the next expansion has been confirmed to be cantha. While most people are talking about tegu playability, land spears, elite specs, etc. I want to do a little discussion about what kinds of pets we would like to see in Cantha. I'll start us off with a few ideas I had.

Introduce the cetacean and pinniped families.

Crane: Moa family, supportive archetype; since we are going to an asian themed continent and how cranes are heavily featured and prominent in myths and cultures in asia, i feel like this would likely be a tamable pet.

Jade Narwhal: cetacean family, ferocious archetype; just thought it would be crazy since we have sand lions and rock gazelles so why not have a narwhal with a jade tusk swimming about in the jade sea.

Common Dolphin: cetacean Family, supportive archetype; standard dolphin.

Orca: cetacean family, stout archetype; ArenaNet is based in the Pacific Northwest and they have alluded to orcas numerous times in quaggans and even a skimmer mount so i am hopeful we outright get an orca as a pet.

Shing Jea seal: pinniped family, versatile archetype; basically a sea lion to swim and help fight under water and then run along side us with a supportive roar on land.

Rot Wallow: other, deadly archetype; was a pet to kurzick nobles in factions so rangers might get these guys as pets.

What do you guys think? What animals do you think/want to be in cantha?

Mini siege turtle would be amazing, but maybe a bit unfitting as a pet. Same for a kirin or saltspray dragon since those aren't very beastly.

The turtles, and if we keep stickin around in EotN areas, the dinos would be a ton of fun to see though.

Would love to see them rework it so you could change the pet's model. Like, white tiger and tiger were the same pet but just looked different.

Curious to see what they end up doing with pets, since there's already a ton and like all but like.. 8 are kinda useless and I don't think it's particularly fun for anyone when something they want really badly ends up sucking (peench peench crab better be the strongest pet ever), especially if they want to do something other than open world.

@Shagie.7612 said:Mini siege turtle would be amazing, but maybe a bit unfitting as a pet. Same for a kirin or saltspray dragon since those aren't very beastly.

The turtles, and if we keep stickin around in EotN areas, the dinos would be a ton of fun to see though.

Would love to see them rework it so you could change the pet's model. Like, white tiger and tiger were the same pet but just looked different.

Curious to see what they end up doing with pets, since there's already a ton and like all but like.. 8 are kinda useless and I don't think it's particularly fun for anyone when something they want really badly ends up sucking (peench peench crab better be the strongest pet ever), especially if they want to do something other than open world.

Yeah I agree but the aquatics department is actually kind of empty. And I get the feeling that there is going to be a surge in aquatic/amphibious pets soon especially since one of the last dragons is the deep sea dragon