Make torment punish teleports — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home PVP

Make torment punish teleports

GewRoo.4172GewRoo.4172 Member ✭✭✭

If a player with X stacks of torment is porting the dmg he would get by simply walking the same distance should get applied. That would finally be a real counter to portal.

Comments

• GewRoo.4172GewRoo.4172 Member ✭✭✭

btw if he's porting vertically the number of steps needed by walking to the location should count

@mortrialus.3062 said:
    Remove the condition cleanses built into thief ports and it's a deal.

No thief needs that.

@mrauls.6519 said:
    I wish torment didn't exist

Just don't walk (or port soon) :)

• zyra.7860zyra.7860 Member ✭✭

@GewRoo.4172 said:
    If a player with X stacks of torment is porting the dmg he would get by simply walking the same distance should get applied. That would finally be a real counter to portal.

Good idea (200 IQ), condi revenant really needs that kind of buff.

• Tayga.3192Tayga.3192 Member ✭✭✭✭

he would get by simply walking the same distance should get applied

Oh kitten lol, that would be instakill for many many builds

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Tayga.3192 said:

he would get by simply walking the same distance should get applied

Oh kitten lol, that would be instakill for many many builds

I think that's the point.
    in my opinion, long range Teleports should generally be unavailable in PvP.
    There already is enough runaway potential without those.

@Fueki.4753 said:

Mesmer doesn't >_>

@Tayga.3192 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

Mesmer doesn't >_>

I do count the constant target loss as part of runaway potential, too.
    And then you have that staff skill that teleports the Mesmer backwards, the Torch stealth skill, Mass Invis, Blink and probably even more that I can't remember.
    Mesmer has enough potential to flee.

• Axl.8924Axl.8924 Member ✭✭✭✭

WOW the mesmer hate is real in this thread, especially from guardian mains.

Here is my list of characters i got so far:

Elementalist 80 with tempest:Talman nul
    Necromancer 80 with reaper:Zex vokar
    Mesmer level 80 no chrono yet:Klanga voosh.
    Level 80 Ranger with druid spec Jedkhan.

• UNOwen.7132UNOwen.7132 Member ✭✭✭✭

You dont get damage according to walking distance from Torment. You just take more damage if youre moving, and Im pretty sure teleports do count if you somehow manage to teleport on the exact frame.

• PLS.4095PLS.4095 Member ✭✭✭

delete torment to the game, just cancer.

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

no that would be dumb and unnecessary. why on earth would you want to buff torment?

Te lazla otstara.

• Burnfall.9573Burnfall.9573 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020

@Axl.8924 said:
    WOW the mesmer hate is real in this thread, especially from guardian mains.

+1

I don't know why the Mesmer hate to begin with. Afterall, Mesmer Portal was severely nerfed due to favoring Thief Toxic portal version

side note- whose the real Elephant in the room now after Mesmer was severely nerfed in favoring Thief? Not Mesmer again, correct??

doesn't Thief still have their near perma-evasive dodges whereas Mesmer being Punished with having only one?

seriously guys, it's not too hard to see who's the real bad guy here

'Situations that are present are there because you allow and tolerate them to continue'

• Bazsi.2734Bazsi.2734 Member ✭✭✭

@GewRoo.4172 said:

So accidentally using your mesmers portal could oneshot you? You posted this one day early!

@mortrialus.3062 said:
    Remove the condition cleanses built into thief ports and it's a deal.

Just delete condicleanse period!

@Fueki.4753 said:
    I think that's the point.

Why stop at deleting all condicleanse, delete any teleports aswell. Nice april fools thread!

• Faux Play.6104Faux Play.6104 Member ✭✭✭

@GewRoo.4172 said:

Only if retaliation procs once per condi stack on it every time the condition is activated.

• @PLS.4095 said:

Pretty much. No build should be allowed to use torment as an overwhelming source of damage like this: Having a condition that exponentially damages you unless you stand still to be an easy punching bag target? What the heck? It's like a free immob and damage dealer in one. Incredibly OP in the post-power Nerf.

It makes sense in small amounts as an interesting mechanic, but the builds that use it dump it in spades, easily 10-20 stacks in a sheer second. We're talking like 4-6k ticks. Even as a Scrapper with many Condi cleanses it's hard keep up with. It should sparingly be available, like fear and taunt.

• Faux Play.6104Faux Play.6104 Member ✭✭✭

@Sanity Obscure.6054 said:

@PLS.4095 said:

Pretty much. No build should be allowed to use torment as an overwhelming source of damage like this: Having a condition that exponentially damages you unless you stand still to be an easy punching bag target? What the heck? It's like a free immob and damage dealer in one. Incredibly OP in the post-power Nerf.

It makes sense in small amounts as an interesting mechanic, but the builds that use it dump it in spades, easily 10-20 stacks in a sheer second. We're talking like 4-6k ticks. Even as a Scrapper with many Condi cleanses it's hard keep up with. It should sparingly be available, like fear and taunt.

But confusion stacks are totally fine?

• mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭

@PLS.4095 said:

It's not exponential. It's literally a 45% boost. Which would turn 880 damage into 1272. You know, like you can see here:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Illusionary_Counter

Exponential would be like squaring or cubing a number turning 880 damage into 774,400 damage while moving or 658,240,000 damage. That's what exponents are.

People have some freaking goofy beliefs about the game if you think Torment is doing 658,240,000 damage while moving.

Best Dressed Memser NA.

• Heika.5403Heika.5403 Member ✭✭
    edited April 1, 2020

@PLS.4095 said:

Idem with burning, it hurts too much. Or that one is applied by your profession and must be treated differently? It makes sense... making others inferior so you become OP. Why not remove all damage and make Guild Wars 2 a more sanity and pacifist world? That would be more fair.

• Quadox.7834Quadox.7834 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2020

This would be a condimirage buff, imagine how easily it would be to deal with revs and thieves. Thief who is normally a mesmer counter.

// Yanim

• Axl.8924Axl.8924 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Faux Play.6104 said:

@PLS.4095 said:

Confusion itself is a mess prob needs overhaul too.

Here is my list of characters i got so far:

Elementalist 80 with tempest:Talman nul
    Necromancer 80 with reaper:Zex vokar
    Mesmer level 80 no chrono yet:Klanga voosh.
    Level 80 Ranger with druid spec Jedkhan.

• Sanity Obscure.6054Sanity Obscure.6054 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2020

@mortrialus.3062 said:
    People have some freaking goofy beliefs about the game if you think Torment is doing 658,240,000 damage while moving.

Sorry, I used exponential as a figure of speech. I should have prephrased it with a "like" so it was more obvious.

@Faux Play.6104 said:

points to nose

At least with confusion you can still move and dodge without the immob implication caused by torment.

edited April 1, 2020

At least with confusion you can still move and dodge without the immob implication caused by torment.

At least with Torment I can still use skill without the 'stop fighting back' implication cause by Confusion.

At the end, both conditions take away gameplay from the afflicted and make playing the game less fun.
    Being punished for trying to fight back is a bad concept.

edited April 1, 2020

@Fueki.4753 said:
    At the end, both conditions take away gameplay from the afflicted and make playing the game less fun.

GW1 Mesmer (whom everyone praise) had the exact same mechanic. Example 1, Example 2

It's literally mesmer's theme. It does not makes the game less fun, it makes the game fun on a meta level.

@Tayga.3192 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:

GW1 Mesmer (whom everyone praise) had the exact same mechanic. Example 1, Example 2

It's literally mesmer's theme. It does not makes the game less fun, it makes the game fun on a meta level.

And most players probably prefer to enjoy games directly instead on some elevated meta level.

Also, the GW1 examples weren't spammable, like Torment and Confusion have become in GW2.

@Fueki.4753 said:
    And most players probably prefer to enjoy games directly instead on some elevated meta level.

I never heard of such statistics.

Also, the GW1 examples weren't spammable, like Torment and Confusion have become in GW2.

Well here you go, the problem is the spam as always. It's not that those conditions are badly designed, the bad thing is 20 stacks of torment and 10 stacks of confusion.

• Sanity Obscure.6054Sanity Obscure.6054 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2020

@Tayga.3192 said:

Yeah, but those were specific casts with one time hits. I do remember some skills that drained health at a set tempo, which even then was better to acknowledge and counterplay with a set number (-5 or -9, for example), than the sudden tick of tens of stacks of torment. I enjoyed GW1 Mesmer skills because they had a variety of implements - knockdowns and interrupts for when a type of skill was cast, health drains, energy drains (for casting skills, not GW2's energy system ofc). That is far more rewarding than just condi bursting.

Yeah, but those were specific casts with one time hits. I do remember some skills that drained health at a set tempo, which even then was better to acknowledge and counterplay with a set number (-5 or -9, for example), than the sudden tick of tens of stacks of torment. I enjoyed GW1 Mesmer skills because they had a variety of implements - knockdowns and interrupts for when a type of skill was cast, health drains, energy drains (for casting skills, not GW2's energy system ofc). That is far more rewarding than just condi bursting.

Yea the problem is the application, which I agree.