video card crash?

for a few days now i have been getting a crash while either playing or even just logging into guild wars 2.my monitors just get a black screen and i can hear the plugging/unplugging of a usb-port(?)my internet tabs with music still play.my computer starts blasting its fans and will continue to do so until i force the computer to shut down by pressing the off-button.when i restart and check the logs it doesnt give an error code except the forced shutdown.only happens with GW2 and not other games.

my videocard is NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with the latest drivers.

@"Wicked.5479" said:my monitors just get a black screen and i can hear the plugging/unplugging of a usb-port(?)

Not a USB port but any device that gets unplugged then plugged back in, in this case the graphics card.

Are you certain your GPU driver is up to date? It's not a laptop we are talking about, right? And it's on Windows 10? --> If so, this is the latest nVidia driver for you.

my computer starts blasting its fans and will continue to do so until i force the computer to shut down by pressing the off-button.

Sounds like an overheating issue. Download your graphics card's manufacturer's software to properly adjust GPU fan speeds.

What's the brand?

@Wicked.5479 said:yes its on desktop with Win 10, and thats the driver im using.the overheating doesnt seem likely, neither my GPU nor CPU temperature exceed 50 degrees Celsius.and i have programs that are far heavier that give no problems.

Hmmmmm... That's weird.

• Have you tried a SFC scan to see if everything is in order with the Windows files?
  • Have you tried the -repair and the -prefreset parameters for GW2?
  • Have you deleted GW2's Local.dat?

i did the repair and clean re-install.im trying the windows repair tool.so far i've had the crash about 7 times, in a few different places, but the Canach vision mission had it 4 times.i've yet to finish it without crashing, so it might be a trigger.

edit: 5th crash in Canach's lair after repair tool.i could hear canach beating my ass while my screen was black and my fan was raging, so the game isnt even shutting down.

Hmm.

• Do you have any automatic updates enabled? That could be a factor.
  • What other tasks are running in the background while you are playing the game?
  • Did the SFC scan via Command Prompt come up with any errors? (In case you don't know what that is: Link)

P.S. Windows 10 has to be tweaked like no other Windows OS before. Terrible system. There is so much that needs to be deactivated or adjusted manually, it's a real pain in the behind.

i do have automatic updates.only programs on startup are steam and displayfusion pro.Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. was the message.

i've been avoiding Canach's lair and eye of the north the entire afternoon and had no crashes.will try Canach again later to see if it crashes. so far its been either on startup loading into eye of the north 2-3 times and canach's lair 5 times, so im almost certain its due to that area somehow.

You don't need Steam on startup. Just launch it manually when you are actually using it. Unless you are using its friends chat tool 24/7...

Automatic updates aren't a good thing. They start whenever they want, and it can interfere with your gaming and other stuff. Do them manually would be my recommendation.

Hope the SFC tool repaired your system files properly and that things will work smoothly now. Keep us posted.

• 2 months later...

I have been having the exact same problem, and it happens randomly when playing gw2, I thought it was my monitor, then video card and stuff and have checked every single thing there was to check about them.The problem is definitely the game and I don't know how to make it stop crashing.

@"Wicked.5479" said:for a few days now i have been getting a crash while either playing or even just logging into guild wars 2.my monitors just get a black screen and i can hear the plugging/unplugging of a usb-port(?)my internet tabs with music still play.my computer starts blasting its fans and will continue to do so until i force the computer to shut down by pressing the off-button.when i restart and check the logs it doesnt give an error code except the forced shutdown.only happens with GW2 and not other games.

my videocard is NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with the latest drivers.

You seem to be able to log in and play so can you check if you have any crash logs in game? Here is link to where and how to find it.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/231273708-Collecting-Diagnostic-Information-for-Support-Reporting-Tech-Issues-

• 11 months later...

Ive been having the exact same issue first with an RTX 2080ti, send my computer for repair and they gave me a RTX 3070 but still issues with guild wars 2 now the gameplay freezes

and a horrible static sound comes out of the speakers. 

Edited by Aquadragon.8257

12 minutes ago, Aquadragon.8257 said:

Ive been having the exact same issue first with an RTX 2080ti, send my computer for repair and they gave me a RTX 3070 but still issues with guild wars 2 now the gameplay freezes

and a horrible static sound comes out of the speakers. 

Did you get money back for the downgrade?

31 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Is a 3070 lesser than a 2080ti? 

https://www.techspot.com/review/2124-geforce-rtx-3070/

you’re now getting RTX 2080 Ti performance for well under half the price.
The RTX 3070 is the new and much more affordable 2080 Ti. In making that comparison, you get 3GB less VRAM, but make up for that with improved power consumption, shaving off about 60 watts.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-review?page=6

The RTX 3070 is undoubtedly a terrific graphics card. It delivers performance in line with the RTX 2080 Ti at a very reasonable asking price of $500, lowering the cost of entry to high frame-rate 1440p and stable 4K gaming substantially.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2020/10/27/nvidia-rtx-3070-vs-rtx-2080-ti-and-the-winner-is/

It offers the same performance as the RTX 2080 Ti, at least in my benchmarks, as the RTX 2080 Ti, which while a two year-old card is still a mighty piece of silicon. However, the latter costs three times as much, which really highlights the value proposition of the RTX 3070, which holds true both with RTX features on and off.

Wow I thought I was the only one having this issue.

This EXACT same thing has been happening to me for a few months.  I have a full custom water loop system.  RTX 3090, and a 5800x cpu.  32GB of RAM, and a 1200W PSU.  So my system is basically as good as it gets.

I get the black screen, with sound still going.  I can still control the game, because I can hear my mounting and abilities.  I can also control the OS, since I can run cmd.  

I checked logs, and it looked like dwm.exe was crashing.  So I tried restarting it through the command line, and it did not help. 

I run the game in windowed mode.

It's not a heat issue, since my temps are all good.  I performed memory checks, and no issues.  I am using a riser cable, and I guess that could be it...but if I'm not the only one experiencing this, I'm thinking it's more likely that it's something with the way the game interacts with some hardware  component?  I don't know.  But I hate that it keeps happening.

1 hour ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Better bang for your buck sure but not better in preformance.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080-Ti/4083vs4027

Edit

Since you can buy 3 for the price of 1 2080ti it would be better to buy the 3070 now yes.

but it is still a downgrade from the 2080ti

Edited by Linken.6345

19 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

I can't believe you use userbenchmark as a comparison. +4% stock vs stock is effectively equal by the way.

And why wouldent you use a big sample size when comparing 2 different cards?

If you look at their age you would expect the 3070 to be better then it is frankly.

Scroll down abit and you will see that its equal or worse in most cases.

4 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

And why wouldent you use a big sample size when comparing 2 different cards?

If you look at their age you would expect the 3070 to be better then it is frankly.

Scroll down abit and you will see that its equal or worse in most cases.

It's a different price tier completely in a normal market.
Mid tier usually ends up matching older top tiers. Just like the ever popular GTX 1060 matched GTX 980 , RTX 2080 vs GTX 1080 Ti , etc.