Guild Wars 2: Remastered - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Guild Wars 2: Remastered

2>

Comments

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@Veryl.7861 said:
    Nonetheless there are many many people who suffer from overheating computers and low framerates still dedicated to GW2 for a reason. It's a perfect unique game with it's own lore and own way of storytelling. This could be easily solved if it was so easy to convert DX9 to DX12 Ultimate (with RTX and Ansel provided by Nvidia)
    Now I can't look in Anet's wallet so I don't know if it's too much to cost to buy licences for a new engine but heck.. there are even free possibilities like Unreal engine provides us nowdays.

Just a few points I'd like to mention here.

• People who suffer from overheating problems can break down to multiple factors (dust, clogged ventilations, dried up thermal paste, background tasks using cpu power), while GW2 is CPU intensive it doesn't stress it as much as one would imagine, the game is certainly not to blame here.
    • You speak of RTX as if everyone can afford or has one, also don't forget some GW2 players are also AMD users.
    • DX12 is a dead end API being locked to 1 OS and the Xbox (which is still Win10 based), Vulkan would be a much wiser choice due to its' wider cross platform support while still offering the same level of performance.

not to mention that Unreal Engine isn't free at all for big companies, only non-profit companies can use it for game releases.

the truth is harsh, my opinions are too.

• Rezzet.3614Rezzet.3614 Member ✭✭✭

@Mortifera.6138 said:
    The game is fine.

could be much better though specially when they dont wanna/cant make GW3

• HotDelirium.7984HotDelirium.7984 Member ✭✭✭

This is Raymera and I have some thoughts:

-I cringe every time I see half-aced animations like handing something off or 2 people interacting or even pushing a button. I wish those were a bit tighter as if I'm ACTUALY interacting with a world a not my animation space is interacting with that items interaction space. I want things to actually connect.

-Transitions are also important. I know its a game but enemies blinking in to attack and then dying and blinking off is offputting to me. A slow disintegration or them melting into the earth or smoke poof, something, would be great and immersive.

-There should be an option to turn off visual noise from other players like there is one to see them detailed or not. Do I really need to see their Elite skill every time if it doesn't matter in the particular situation that I am in?

-I have seen newer textures and glow effects for weapons and now we need more realistic and dynamic physics. Like when something explodes and earth chunks fly up and then down disappearing by clipping past the earth in a little lame.

• Xenon.4537Xenon.4537 Member ✭✭✭

It is truly amazing how many "experts" come out of the woodwork for threads like this. Less than 10% of you have ever installed a game engine IDE, let alone developed a game professionally using one. I'm sorry and I'm not trying to be mean. GW2 getting a remaster is a pipe dream. Anet are already firing on all cylinders just to deliver the content we are currently getting. They don't have a secret stash of money or a second studio to run parallel projects. Anything they do in the background takes away resources from the foreground. "I don't mind if there's no new content for a few years." You must not have been around during the content droughts surrounding Heart of Thorns. No one was happy when that happened.

Switching game engines is not a simple thing. Nor is it what you think it is. When you say you want more beautiful graphics, yes the engine plays a part. But so do the polygons on the models themselves. So do the textures which come with a pixel count. If Taimi is made of 10,000 polygons and her texture is 2048x2048... and you upgrade the engine from DX9 to DX12... Guess what? Taimi still only has 10,000 polygons and a 2k texture. You successfully accomplished almost nothing. Maybe the game will run smoother, and maybe the shaders will be a bit more pretty. But at the end of the day when you ask for a REMASTER, you are asking for a lot more than you think. You are basically asking Anet to make GW2 again, rolling the clock back to 2012. And we the players will have to wait for YEARS for a prettier version of the game we are already playing, with no new content, just a spit-shine.

Smarter plan: Make Guild Wars 3. Make it with an upgraded engine using all the latest tech they can muster. But that's also a long shot because Anet is still suffering from the layoffs right into covid lockdowns. Right now they are developing living world AND the Cantha expansion. They are stretched thin already. There's no way they are going to be able to do any of this extra stuff any time soon.

P.S. - Someone mentioned Unreal Engine 4? That will never happen for one very simple reason: UE4 is owned by Epic Games. Anet already has their own proprietary engine. They aren't going to suddenly abandon it and start paying Epic a portion of their profits. Don't get me wrong, UE4 is a great engine, I've used it myself. But that just isn't going to happen. It would be far better for Anet to upgrade their own engine. Porting to UE4 is not as simple as dragging "gw2.exe" into the editor and clicking "build". No, it would be a massive undertaking, and Anet would have to pay Epic a portion of their profits just to use the engine. With Anet's own proprietary engine, they don't have to pay anyone, and they get to keep their pipeline intact.

• Xenon.4537Xenon.4537 Member ✭✭✭

@HotDelirium.7984 said:
    This is Raymera and I have some thoughts:

-I cringe every time I see half-aced animations like handing something off or 2 people interacting or even pushing a button. I wish those were a bit tighter as if I'm ACTUALY interacting with a world a not my animation space is interacting with that items interaction space. I want things to actually connect.

Hi Raymera... animator here. You have just identified one of the most challenging things to do in a game engine. Very few games manage to pull it off flawlessly. And if you are thinking of a cutscene or cinematic, that's trickery. That is almost always hand keyed to look as good as possible, not a dynamic interaction. Gameplay animations require dynamic interaction because it has to respond to the infinite number of ways a player might play the game. That's really hard to do well, especially in an mmo. Games like Assassins Creed use special tech to drive contextual animations to make the character's hand reach for a ledge or touch someone's shoulder. Those systems may be possible in an mmo, but are considered unnecessary and wasteful when the primary concern is making sure that combat runs smoothly with hundreds of players fighting at the same time.

• Zok.4956Zok.4956 Member ✭✭✭

@Xenon.4537 said:
    Someone mentioned Unreal Engine 4? That will never happen for one very simple reason: UE4 is owned by Epic Games. Anet already has their own proprietary engine. They aren't going to suddenly abandon it and start paying Epic a portion of their profits. Don't get me wrong, UE4 is a great engine, I've used it myself. But that just isn't going to happen.

They clearly want to use the Unreal Engine 4, because they are trying (for some time now) to hire a "Lead Unreal Engineer" with "Robust experience with Unreal Engine 4". Source: https://boards.greenhouse.io/arenanet/jobs/1988141

Of course it is unclear, if this will be for GW2 or GW3 or some other unannounced console-title.

I do not believe they will port GW2 to the UE4 engine, but it seems new games will not use Anets own and very old engine anymore.

https://www.gw2gh.com/ - A GW2-Guild-Hall.
    Register and check your guild leaderboard to see who is the best in your guild and who finished achievements first.

• coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭✭

they don't need a new engine to get a "remastered" version. only better lightsource and shadows would already do a lot. BDO didn't need a new engine to get its remastered version.
    the issue is if gw2 engine can actually handle that.

• Guild Wars 2 Remastered – now with 20% less armor clipping!

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Maria Murtor.7253 said:
    Guild Wars 2 Remastered – now with 20% less armor clipping!

And 40% more skirts.

Dont look a gift Asura in the mouth.
    No seriously, dont. Shark teeth.

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020

@Xenon.4537 said:
    Switching game engines is not a simple thing. Nor is it what you think it is. When you say you want more beautiful graphics, yes the engine plays a part. But so do the polygons on the models themselves.

The game already uses two different rendering "versions", at least when it comes to post processing. At the very least they can upgrade the visuals on the pre-Draconis Mons maps to use the "newer" version. That's gonna be relatively easy, as most of the character options (skins, outfits, armor, mounts, gliders and so on) are already created to look good on both versions which leaves us with environment details only. I think the end result would be worth it, not only because the "newer" visuals are superior to the old ones, but also because it has the potential to shave time in creating new items in the future, as they won't have to make sure it looks good on two separate post process settings. And if you take a look at some outfits and mounts they DO look drastically different in Path of Fire maps vs Core maps.

• jokke.6239jokke.6239 Member ✭✭✭

@Veryl.7861 said:

@mercury ranique.2170 said:
    First of all, GW2 engine is based on the GW1 engine, but it is heavily modified. Although it is called an engine, it is not a package easily distributed to third party's, it is an integrated part of the game.

But more important to how it could be done, is why.

It would give better graphics, but with a price. People would be forced to upgrade their PC or laptop to better performance. One thing GW always did good is that it was easily accessible to new players who never played a game before. By changing things it would mean also changing this. It would also move the audience of the game to a more hard-core audience.

I personally also think that in this light, this is not the right moment to do so. We are moving to a new era with streaming games. That would be the perfect time to do such a thing. It would mean that people with poor specs can still play this upgraded game. People with poor internet could still play it in the classic way and only those with poor specs and poor internet would be left behind.

But at this moment it is too early to take such a step. Maybe in 2 - 3 years.

@coso.9173 said:
    all MMOS slowly or quickly get better graphics, and those who can't get a better PC have to sadly suck it up and can't be used as an argument for not upgrading it. if it was the case we would still be playing text only adventure games or Atari.
    it is expected that new games will require better pcs. and it is expected that MMOs have to be contantly upgrading their graphics too, it shows on all of them if you compare the vanilla zones to the newer ones.
    But sometimes it isn't enough anymore and a massive overhaul is needed. like the remastered mode in BDO or the new character models in WoW. Now the question is if gw2 is in that moment now or not.

I've experienced playing Guild Wars 2 on a laptop i3 or desktop i5 before I started upgrading.
    I could barely play with 5fps and because gw2 is the only game I've play, this forced me to upgrade to i7 with a 4gb graphicscard.
    I know I'm not the only one that thinks the engine of GW2 demands alot of cpu and memory...
    Even now with my new specs I get around 70fps wich is really high running this game,
    Although the majority of other games running 100fps smoothly and have better graphics I do not agree that gw2 is optimized for an audience that have low spec systems and lags/spikes in ping are everywhere.

Streaming games heh.. That era will be far from now... People across the globe already complain about pings higher than 100.
    I know all about ping and scrapping textures from games to higher FPS and ping but GW2 needs a tremendous PC if you wish to play on max graphics.
    So I do agree that maybe it's moment is not now... But definately the moment to start discussing.

Hopefully Arenanet's developers feel the same

I played GW2 for 4000 hours with 10-25 fps on lowest settings from 2012-2014 lol

• ZeftheWicked.3076ZeftheWicked.3076 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Veryl.7861 said:

Nonetheless there are many many people who suffer from overheating computers and low framerates still dedicated to GW2 for a reason.
    Van Marle

THIS. kitten THIS.

I should be playing this game right now, not league of legends and maplestory. But because my lappy's getting old, and I myself am on a budget i dare not approach gw2 to not fry it to crisp and shorten it's lifespan. it's been like this on my previous laptop too. Massive overheating, crashes (that's not an issue nowadays thankfully) and having multi-core processor and decent gfx card only to have the game butcher one core while not making proper use of others.

Fix the kitten game, make it multi-core an run cool on any reasonable specced laptop, your own code is making your playerbase more scarce!

• If we're going to ask Anet to remaster a game, I'd rather it be GW 1 to be honest. The fact that GW 2 engine is the same as 1 tells me that 1 could look that much better and feel that much better with smooth animations and controls, not to mention jumping!

In an ideal world I'd love both games to be brought up to modern standards of smoothness and beauty, but time doesn't let us live in an ideal world. With limited time I'd rather they reinvigorated the franchise with a Guild Wars 1 remastered edition.

That being said, I would not want them to take time away from working on the new expansion for GW2. If we want the expansion and a remastered project done right then they will each need the full attention of the team. Nothing feels worse to the player, in my opinion anyways, than getting a half-kitten release on a hyped game. It just ruins the reputation of the game and the company and does more damage than taking the time to do it right the first time.

That's my two cents anyways.

• dodgerrule.8739dodgerrule.8739 Member ✭✭✭

Well first of the entire gw2 engine would have to be remade due to the bad coding it produces allot of errors

• Cynder.2509Cynder.2509 Member ✭✭✭

Yeah and then let's re-release it every year for every platform including releasing Legendary and Special Editions along with VR.
    I mean the composer who worked on the soundtrack of the infamous game I'm referring here to worked on gw as well.

I'm Hunter, he/him
    Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/charactersgw2

• Arcaniaxs.4519Arcaniaxs.4519 Member ✭✭✭

Just upgrade the engine and fix pvp plz

• The only reason OP sees a problem is because it is or was their job.
    For everyone else, it's really a non-issue.