Unique Weapon Skin

So a friend and I started playing GW2 two days ago and we basically now nothing about this game. We are currently lvl 21/22 and i got a unique weapon skin called "Knowledge is Power" from a chest after a main quest. We already upgraded our accounts (paid the 30 bucks), but I have to wait 4 more days until I can use the market. So should i wait and sell the item to help me through the early game or should I use it because it is more likely that I won't get it again ?

Any "common" weapon skin you get (anything below 5g on the TP) you will most likely be getting again. And when you are levelling, the coins are far more usefull for keeping your gear up to par by buying new greens every 10 level or so. You dont have to spend much to improve your gear by quite alot. Forget about the skins and look until you're level 80 and got minimum exotic.

There's a 3rd option: salvage it. That will unlock the weapon skin in your wardrobe so you can spend 1 transmutation charge to apply it to any other focus weapon you get (and you can do that as many times as you like, it's in your wardrobe forever). It will also give you crafting materials you can either use or sell. Use the best quality salvage kit you have, ideally a Black Lion salvage kit if you have a free one from login rewards, if not then a master's or mystic kit, because those have a higher chance of giving you rare materials from exotics.

Looking at the Wiki it seems you're unlikely to get the full value back as materials, but it's a compromise: you get the skin to use whenever you want (the stats are nothing special, you can get lots of items with the same stats) and you get some coin, or crafting materials; whichever is more useful to you.

@Daniel.1705 said:The worth posted on the TP is 70 silver (is TP like an auction house or just like a merchant shop?) so i guess salvaging it would probably be the most profitably choice ....

Anyway, thanks for the quick and helpfull responses :) !

The trading post is player to player trading, so in that sense it's like World of Warcraft's auction house. But it's all direct sales rather than auctions, so when you look at an item you're not seeing multiple bids for 1 copy of that item, you're seeing all the prices it's available to buy at and all the prices players are offering to sell it at and in theory all of those sales could go through.

If you pick buy/sell instantly you'll automatically sell for the highest price currently offered, or buy for the cheapest price currently offered, but you can get a better price by putting your own offer in instead (because there's usually a gap between the highest buy order and the lowest sell order). This is where it becomes important that it's not an auction, because even if someone 'outbids' you by offering more you can still get the item at your price by waiting for someone else to come along and sell another one.

Oh, also it's game wide. Everyone on all servers across both NA and EU regions sees the same items available at the same prices. :)

@"Dawdler.8521" said:Any "common" weapon skin you get (anything below 5g on the TP) you will most likely be getting again. And when you are levelling, the coins are far more usefull for keeping your gear up to par by buying new greens every 10 level or so. You dont have to spend much to improve your gear by quite alot. Forget about the skins and look until you're level 80 and got minimum exotic.

meh, I always recommend not buying any gear at all, until maybe lvl 50-60. And then you can craft what you want. Unless you are going for a certain skin.

I don't normally buy any equipment until level 80, I just use drops and story/level rewards. The only time I buy stuff (either from NPCs or the trading post) is if I want to try something specific, like if I want to try a new weapon combination and the right ones just aren't dropping or if I want to experiment with a stat combination to help me decide what I want at level 80. But I've had entire characters who went all the way from 1-80 just using drops and rewards.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:Any "common" weapon skin you get (anything below 5g on the TP) you will most likely be getting again. And when you are levelling, the coins are far more usefull for keeping your gear up to par by buying new greens every 10 level or so. You dont have to spend much to improve your gear by quite alot. Forget about the skins and look until you're level 80 and got minimum exotic.

meh, I always recommend not buying any gear at all, until maybe lvl 50-60. And then you can craft what you want. Unless you are going for a certain skin.Keep in mind I'm not talking gear that match your spec, or rare/exotic... As I said, greens. Literally the cheapest set of greens you can find will
probably
be better than anything you got equipped and boost your stats by alot. Just get it as soon it unlocks by level (around level 25 first time), then wait ~10 levels to the next time. Sometimes you find good stuff on random or get it from story rewards, but I've also been running around leveling in like level 20 gear while level 60... It's pretty pointless if you have the coin. Better gear = much faster killin'.