Opinions , ideas on the new mechanic Barrier for Guardian

RUNICBLACK.7630

Yes as it stands now neither the Guardian nor any of their specializations have access to this mechanic but I'm asking is what does everybody else think, my opinion is it should be available to the Guardian as part of his base class either incorporated into some of their Utilities or available via a trait line or as part of boon effect from a weapon skill.Just throwing this out there

Thematically, it makes more sense to go to Guardian than any other class, so I'm surprised it wasn't added. Honestly, I would have added it to some core skills. Guardians need better support options than they currently have, IMO. The fact that they have become pretty lackluster in the support and healing dept. is pretty absurd.

Merged two Firebrand traits to make space for the new Grandmaster trait Bastion.

• Bastion: Aegis gives barrier on block (8 seconds ICD). Barrier: 750 (0.1 Healing Power coefficient)
  • Stoic Demeanor & Weighty Terms are now combined. Because why else would anyone ever pick these traits?

My thoughts exactly particularly when you consider the Guardian base class has very little in the way of range combat options and we are one of the three classes with the lowest health pools, no evades and still no option in our trait lines that gives the Guardian a movement rate boost but by all appearances we are expected to be an up frontline close melee combatant, granted we have a great deal of blocks and Aegis(one hit only then it's gone) but seems kind of counter intuitive to me. I just hope they don't take as long to do something about this as they did to finally give us the 1 1/2 seconds of Resistance on the Utility "Save Yourselves" which was a quick way to kill yourself since the changes to Conditions.

Honestly, the only class it makes sense on is Necromancer's Scourge Elite spec. It should probably be stripped form all non-Necromancer classes and elites until those elites and classes are forced to give up their core defensive abilities to get it. Even taking out the defensive trade off, Barrier seems to be implemented as the Necromancer giving up their shroud to grant pieces of it to others - which is why the non-Necros that have it now all get the Scourge coloring on their barriers, you'll not it degenerates just like Shroud.

Given they've already put it on other classes, the only thing I can hope is they don't make the mistake of letting non-necros add barrier to themselves or others better than the necro at any point, as, again, no one (outside of necro) that currently has it has given up their core defenses to gain it.

Sorry but the arguement against any other class getting Barrier is severely broken, by your own reasoning alacrity should only be available to mesmers and only mesmers, resistance/revenants, aegis/guardians etc...Barrier is a game mechanic and just like any other mechanic it isn't strictly one classes as has been shown with other mechanics and to argue that they need to break every other class's as you called defensive abilities to make it even for the Necro not having Barrier exclusively is not only over reaching but really off the deep end. Other classes gaining some access to mechanics that are more core to another class has in no way broken or ruined any class.

I'd also contest the idea that necromancers are giving up their defenses to have Barrier.

They're giving up Death/Reaper Shroud in order to have greater support and stand-off capability, within which the ability to grant Barrier to themselves and others is a portion of that support. It's a significant trade, but Barrier is only part of that trade - scourges aren't exactly lacking in other benefits they get for that tradeoff.

Well FB has given up tis defenses by just being FB. No movement skills and no bubbles. Ofc barrier is fitting for the guardian, i.cant see any other profession (when reading the initial descriptions of the profession, published in 2012.) that it fits better.

Tbh I find it weird that Guardian wasn't the first profession to get it, actually making it a guardian. Just place it as a trait in honor.

The only way I see this happening in any sort of quantity that is respectable on the base is if guardian as a base class had less access to blocks/aegis. Guardian currently has a monopoly on the boon which has pros and cons vs barrier but serves a similar function.

There is no issue is the value granted is fairly small though.

But remember aegis ends after the first hit unlike a normal block which stops all attacks during time it is in effect and it still acts like a block which is bypassed by any attack or skill that is unblockable such as a necro's marks when traited or their wells for an example. So yes the Guardian/Dragonhunter/Firebrand does have access to alot of aegis and blocks but the value of those shouldn't be over valued and it should considered that we are only class that doesn't have access to an evade through any of our skills, also note a fair number of unblockable skills can be evaded. Just pointing this out if we are considering our overall defensive capabilities in comparison to other classes because as is often the case the strengths often played versus the weakness being under played. I don't consider the Guardian a broken class at all but do think there serious issues that hopefully will be addressed at some point after the release of PoF.

For sure every class will receive barrier....

If guardian is receiving barrier i would love a guard with Stances mechanics, leap stances instead of virtues, similiar to DH F2 animations (yellow wings like paragons ._.)

Player could choose 1 from 2 playstyles:

Hammer/shield like a diablo crusader style for defensive stance , guardian gains capability to hold 2h hammer + offhand (receives + 500 armor)Every time class blocks an atack will receive barrier.F1 burn+pull cleave melee range swipe with hammer.

Pistol main as new weapon for offensive stance with passive speed :< , while moving receives on random boon,
Every time class receives protections will get barrier(wouldsync well with the defensive stance)F1 with range burst with pistol, aplyies fera if target has more than X stacks of burn.

I'm not surprised Guardians didn't get it, just because of access to Aegis. I'm not sure it makes sense to petition for it on this class for that reason as well; I don't feel barriers would be a well supported effect for us, though it's true that it's currently not a well supported effect for any class. My preference would be to request improvements to Aegis and it's support traits before asking for a small taste in barriers. Of course, if other classes started getting significant access to barrier, indicating it's a core mechanic for all classes, I see no reason why that should exclude Guardians. In that case, my vote is that it's added to SW Shield, Hallowed Ground or Sanctuary.

Aegis should work as barrier, period.

Just kill aegis as a boon.

The traits we have that improve aegis could improve barrier instead.

Burn when hitting a player with barrier

A part of the damage done to a target with barrier heals the target.

A player with barrier has a chance of proccing aoe damage when hit upon.

Barrier degenerates x% slower.

Its seriously backwards that when they came up with barrier as a concept guardians were left out whne it should have been the forst profession that got it.

Aegis needs to stay and enchantement aka boon, some other boons need to be anything else than boons.

Probably needs to be reverted to the gw1 Aegis (with shorter times)... wich is much better than block an auto atack, if stays as an enchantement/boon can be countered.

we need aegis to stop being used as a common boon, and make skills on other classes that use aegis count as 1 block with the "block next atack" effect.

Guardian shouts needs to add something like +armor(non stacking) while scourge adds more vitality(temp)https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/%22Stand_Your_Ground!%22https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/%22Save_Yourselves!%22

This probably would help frontline to go on melee range w/o being forced to range spam... melee would fight melle while support would be at backline and other mobility/range classes could try for the backlines....

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Aegishttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guardianhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Pensive_Guardian

The topic of barrier for guardian is getting thrown out much lately. It sounds cool, but it is counter design to how guardian survivability works. Guardian relies on blocks, blindness and protection (plus cleanising against conditions). While protection does not work against barrier, blocks and blindness surely do.

A blocked attack does no damage, thus the barrier is likely to deginerate before you even get to use it. If sustainability is an issue why not just add more blocks instead of two systems that work against each other?

@Brutaly.6257 said:Aegis should work as barrier, period.

Its seriously backwards that when they came up with barrier as a concept guardians were left out whne it should have been the forst profession that got it.

Now this I can stand behind ... barrier is the mechanic Aegis should have been. Aegis is a very inferior mechanic that any MMO veteran knows how to trivialize in PVP ... ESPECIALLY if they can see it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure we have a compelling argument to discard Aegis as a boon and move to barrier. It's very ingrained part of the Guardian concept. I see our path forward here being thoughtful expansion of Aegis and it's support traits and a small reliance on allied-supplied barriers.

@Obtena.7952 said:

Now this I can stand behind ... barrier is the mechanic Aegis should have been. Aegis is a very inferior mechanic that any MMO veteran knows how to trivialize in PVP ... ESPECIALLY if they can see it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure we have a compelling argument to discard Aegis as a boon and move to barrier. It's very ingrained part of the Guardian concept. I see our path forward here being thoughtful expansion of Aegis and it's support traits and a small reliance on allied-supplied barriers.

Barrier, in its current form, isn't even that good, particularly so for guardian who is amongst the lowest hp pool professions. Barrier's max value is determined by hp pool so it alone wouldn't keep you upright, especially if it degens so quick. Unless they showered guardian in barrier, it not a suitable replacement for it.

But again, Im talking about barrier right now. In the future, it might be different but stopping a rinky 3k damage attack with barrier but still getting stunned/condi/more burst damage isn't as attractive as stopping that attack completely.

And I'm not saying aegis is all we need and barrier is garbage, more talking toward replacing aegis just because barrier is new.

@Leo G.4501 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:

Barrier, in its current form, isn't even that good, particularly so for guardian who is amongst the lowest hp pool professions. Barrier's max value is determined by hp pool so it alone wouldn't keep you upright, especially if it degens so quick. Unless they showered guardian in barrier, it not a suitable replacement for it.

But again, Im talking about barrier right now. In the future, it might be different but stopping a rinky 3k damage attack with barrier but still getting stunned/condi/more burst damage isn't as attractive as stopping that attack completely.

And I'm not saying aegis is all we need and barrier is garbage, more talking toward replacing aegis just because barrier is new.

I thought it was determined by the amount of healing power.

Archived