I think a Good Idea this is as it will make money for Arena.net

Jaguar.9104

Why don't Arena.net Guild Wars Team make an animated film that covers the events at the end of GW:EN leading up to the current time, hell even make it in to two parts and then sell the finished product through the official GW2 site and through Google play Movies. This will help those of us who do not truly understand the events from the end of GW:EN to the Current times, it would be nice to have a bit of continuity to go along with the current game play with a bit of History which works better in film than in books, but Novel versions could be done too.

Just two money making ideas.

@Crossaber.8934 said:If it is a movie that interact with our account...I would like to re-watch the movie again and again if the COMMANDER is a character in my character pool with my choice.Otherwise, i won't even watch it, remember the scarlet season 1 recap movie, some unknown COMMANDER stomped scarlet, it is unacceptable!!!!

True. That was my first thought too.

@Malavian.4695 said:I don't remember that going so well with the World of Warcraft movie....

This is why I said Animated as in Manga style cartoon film.

@DBZVelena.5186 said:thing is, making something like that would also cost a lot of money. With no guarantee, it would bring in profit. So I doubt it will happen.

Probably true that, still it would be nice and it would be something I would buy also.

The problem I see with this is the time scale. There's 250 years between GW1 and GW2 so it would be difficult to have a single coherent narrative that covers all the changes, and even harder to fit it into a movie, which is typically about 1.5-3 hours long.

It runs the risk of ending up very rushed which not only makes for bad story telling but also wouldn't help explain events. Or you have to focus on one short period of that and summarise events before/hint at ones after which means they're not really explained any more than they already have been.

A book or a series of short stories might work better.

@Malavian.4695 said:I don't remember that going so well with the World of Warcraft movie....

The Warcraft movie had a lot of issues, but that doesn't mean the same would be true for GW2, or any other video game movie.

I think the biggest problem was, oddly enough, that they actually stuck too close to the source material, especially when creating props and locations. A lot of things looked almost exactly like the do in WoW or the RTS games (right down to the buildings having colour-coded roofs) but in a live-action setting that looked absurd - it made them look like cheap plastic toys rather than real weapons, towns etc.

Same problem with the story. I happen to think Warcraft has some great lore behind it, but a lot of that has been built up over the years. The plot to the first game was fairly basic - orcs are attacking because they're obsessed with war and have run out of things to fight in their own world - humans are trying to stop them because they're good and noble and don't want to be slaughtered. That was fine for an RTS in 1994 when the ability to tell the story was equally limited and outside of RPGs video games didn't tend to have much of a plot anyway. It didn't work so well for a movie in 2016.

(Which is why I was hoping they'd base it more on The Last Guardian short story - make it a movie about Medivh and Gul'dan - what they each hoped to achieve, what they did and didn't know about the magics they were messing with and the impact of Sargeras own schemes. It would have had fewer battle scenes (fewer big set pieces in general) and more dialogue but I genuinely think it would have been a better movie overall.)

A Guild Wars movie could avoid a lot of that. For a start the style is already somewhat more realistic and if it wasn't common sense before that mixing cartoony in-game objects and live action looks silly it really should be now. But also it started life as a modern MMORPG and had the plot to match, and since the OP is asking for a movie that covers all the major events there's no need to exclude stuff or just hint at it like the Warcraft movie did. (Although I did like the way you got just 1 flash of Sargeras surfacing during the fight against Medivh at the end).

Of course there is the slight issue that pretty much all video game movies turn out badly. Not always for the same reasons - the Assasin's Creed movie had the opposite problem with the plot - they had too much to try and cram in and it was designed for a very slow reveal over many hours of exploration and long dialogue sequences. But one way or another they always seem to disappoint both fans of the game and newcomers.

But maybe something aimed entirely at existing GW2 fans and made by Anet for a 'low key' release online/via streaming services, could work.

Danikat brings up a good point on the time scale. I'd personally love to see some more books based on the events leading up to GW2, but as she said there's no way it would work as a single coherent narrative.

Unless it was from the perspective of the dragons.

You could begin the story with Glint and the events of GW1 and continue the story all the way up to Mordremoth and the events of HoT. Might be interesting to see things from their perspective over the course of several hundred years as opposed to the heroes of Tyria and our short life spans.

Then again, I definitely don't know as much about Tyrian lore as I probably should, so if this is a really, really stupid idea because of lore reasons then by all means, tell me as much. I'll accept it. :)

That is an idea to make an animated Guild Wars Moving in 3 Parts or more, each one covering a section of Tyria from the end of GW: EN up to the Start of Guild Wars 2 when it first came out. We all know the events of GW2 after its initial intro. It is the gap between the End of GW1 going into GW2 that is not so clear, but as is said Movies based on games do not usually turn out good, but a Straight to DVD movie or on google play or other streaming services will pull in the hardcore fanbase of GW2 and likely make the film's cult classics.

A way in like has been said have Glint do a narrative of sorts from her perspective on what Glint saw, then switch to events happening around Tyria, by then pleople will assume that they would be watching things through Glints eyes and acknowledge why the voice of the dragon cannot be heard, Glint is still talking.

Still the stigma of games successfully converting to film, even animated versions have had issues in the past, very few games made good live action films, as the stories to tell are usually more than a movie can handle, but split the animated movies into 4 parts or more and this problem should ease up.

Archived