lock weapon stowing in combat to keep players from exploiting the game. — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Professions

lock weapon stowing in combat to keep players from exploiting the game.

pninak.1069pninak.1069 Member ✭✭✭

as the title says. We have Rangers glitching their animation during barrage into greatsword, stealthed thiefs that use skills which were supposed to do dmg and totally remove the damaging potion of the skill by abusing this and eles that use this mid combat to get slower cooldown on obsiflesh. I think it si best for every profession to lock this option while in combat and theirby minimizing the risk of glitch exploits.

<1

Comments

• pninak.1069pninak.1069 Member ✭✭✭

ment lower cd on obsi flesh obviously. yea I think it makes balancing an issue. I mean they try everything to make dmg fir to the profession, but when stuff like this exist I don't have to wonder when balance patches arrive that propably completely make a class obsolete. Because these type of players propably don't lose much even if the supposed majority of dmg was already taken away by patches.

It is illogical. why would you fight without your weapons? I think not having an even playing field is the reason why we get these kind of balance patches. balance of gw2 has always been jank and propably always will be.

you can turn off autoattacking btw.

you just use weapon stow in order to save a dodge. so you don't really commit to decisions in a fight. It is just an excuse. If it is true that "some specs rely animations cancelling to work" then by this logic if weapon stow is gone classes don't work anymore. nice try. shoot yourself in the foot.

• AllNightPlayer.1286AllNightPlayer.1286 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2020

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:
    I like stowing after a 1v1 for my style points lol no? Anybody else?

I always stow weapons after combat and draw them right before entering a fight. I even stow weapons, if I’m retreating and still being attacked. I just love the “normal” running animations.

after combat it isn't really an issue. your skill bar is no longer locked too. this is specifically about mid-combat weapon stowing.

• RabbitUp.8294RabbitUp.8294 Member ✭✭✭✭

They should just make it so that stow doesn't interrupt animations, but instead queues up behind the current animation.

• Skotlex.7580Skotlex.7580 Member ✭✭✭✭

Stow weapons is used all the time in PvP to bait enemy dodges, so it'd have a significant impact there, at least.

It's technically a lame thing, but it's part of the game mechanics now, and changing it would upset quite a few players. If it were my choice, I would have designed weapon stow to queue up like skills do (so you stow after finishing the animation of whatever it is one is doing).

• Edge.8724Edge.8724 Member ✭✭✭

Imagine beeing in a real fight and you're about to hit someone with a sword but then you stow it.

Lol, but in all seriousness, I don't really know all the inpacts this might cause since this ''tactic'' is used since the game launched and I am not personnally against or for it.

• Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭

Sounds more like a glitch issue instead of a stow weapon issue.

Just fix the glitches so that they can't cheese animations then, or disable stowing mid animation.

If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

They've removed cases where it was really noticable like Axe auto attack chain on Warrior, I don't think there is anything that can be considered abuse though so it can stay. It's optimization, you don't have to do it. If you want to squeeze out that extra little bit, go for it.

I rather choose death.

I mean stuff like for example warrior's throw axe. if you cancel it during the right time axe will be throw, but deal not dmg aswell as get lower cancel cooldown.

In pvp I don't really pay attention if they cancel a skill, because I wait for the skills effects first before doing smth. I am pretty opportunistic in pvp, because I don't like it. That's why I run bunker necro instead of stuff like mesmer. Doubt there is a safe way to get rid of bunkers, because of how little dmg they do compared to the rest. and if you don't have a tank in the game or any other part of the holy trinity it most likely ends in a oneshot vs oneshot scenario.

for wvw I find it an issue tho, because of how high damage is compared to pvp. you still got all the ascended amuletts and armor ratings/stats you have to add to the build.

• Yoci.2481Yoci.2481 Member ✭✭✭

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:
    Are these newer players? Why is it a issue now? Anyway if I is truly deemed a issue to the anet team hope they only alter its behavior in instances where exploiting can occur. I like stowing after a 1v1 for my style points lol no? Anybody else?

On Mesmer after you 1-shot someone you have to immediately stow weapon or it doesn't count!

• Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Yoci.2481 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:
    Are these newer players? Why is it a issue now? Anyway if I is truly deemed a issue to the anet team hope they only alter its behavior in instances where exploiting can occur. I like stowing after a 1v1 for my style points lol no? Anybody else?

On Mesmer after you 1-shot someone you have to immediately stow weapon or it doesn't count!

Exactly, it's like ur tipping ur hat at the opponent lol

yea I don't even use weapon stowing at all. so it doesn't really matter what class I am even playing.

• Black Storm.6974Black Storm.6974 Member ✭✭
    edited May 7, 2020

Maybe there could another way to fix the exploit.

• Quadox.7834Quadox.7834 Member ✭✭✭✭

you are two weeks late

// Yanim

• montecristo.1324montecristo.1324 Member ✭✭✭

and how can you fake skills? stowing weapon is really important for fake skills in order to let enemy waste dodges or interrupts.

I just find it a fallacy by anet to not give 100% cd on skills that interrupted by cancelling yourself. If it wasn't for saving dodges I wouldn't have a problem with it. It is just a cheap trick to avoid getting punished by abusing an option that isn't propably supposed to be there in the first place.

• Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2020

@pninak.1069 said:
    I just find it a fallacy by anet to not give 100% cd on skills that interrupted by cancelling yourself. If it wasn't for saving dodges I wouldn't have a problem with it. It is just a cheap trick to avoid getting punished by abusing an option that isn't propably supposed to be there in the first place.

Again: if you think it's unintentional then go make a thread in a bug report section, not sure what you're arguing about here. It's a known mechanic used by most (all?) classes and whether you like it or not is mostly irrelevant.

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yeah weapon stow needs to be blocked during combat.

Also increase the cooldown on weapon swap to help slow down the games combat some more. It's just too fast for me.

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

It isn't skill to press one additional button. If you were arguing in the sense of higher apm you would have a point, but that would mean you stow weapon way more than actually fighting in a battle.

@MysteryMen.3791 a lot of bugs are related to weapon stowing. that's why the fixes we get for these skills are pretty much just bandaid instead of a fixed solution. If these skills get exploited by using weapon stow and this happens to a ton of skills you can't fix the skills on their own, because they aren't the root of the problem.

Imagine being so unskilled to not even risk using a dodge to cancel but using weapon stow instead. obviously the high risk high reward playstyle doesn't fit for this type of play.

• anduriell.6280anduriell.6280 Member ✭✭✭✭

@pninak.1069 said:
    as the title says. We have Rangers glitching their animation during barrage into greatsword, stealthed thiefs that use skills which were supposed to do dmg and totally remove the damaging potion of the skill by abusing this and eles that use this mid combat to get slower cooldown on obsiflesh. I think it si best for every profession to lock this option while in combat and theirby minimizing the risk of glitch exploits.

Now i need to know what glitch is that one. If it's any good and it does not cancel the barrage cast.

@Justine.6351 said:
    Yeah weapon stow needs to be blocked during combat.

Also increase the cooldown on weapon swap to help slow down the games combat some more. It's just too fast for me.

I totally agree with Justine here. Also increase the cast time in every skill, i can't see the animations and i want counterplay.

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

@AllNightPlayer.1286 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I always stow weapons after combat and draw them right before entering a fight. I even stow weapons, if I’m retreating and still being attacked. I just love the “normal” running animations.

Charr player detected

• AllNightPlayer.1286AllNightPlayer.1286 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2020

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@AllNightPlayer.1286 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Charr player detected

Nope, mostly Sylvari and Humans. The running animation is the only unique animation Sylvari have and it’s cool on both genders.

and you see how far it brought the game. you gotta wait for ages to get a pvp match. it is propably quicker getting a match in gw1 compared to current state of gw2 pvp.

• Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭

@pninak.1069 said:
    and you see how far it brought the game. you gotta wait for ages to get a pvp match. it is propably quicker getting a match in gw1 compared to current state of gw2 pvp.

To be fair that has more to do with the dumbing down of the game,poor balancing and lack of meaningful changes throughout the years across pvp modes than it has to do with weapon stowing.

@pninak.1069 said:

Yeah, I'm sure that's totally weapon stow's fault. People love making these bullkitten disconnected claims on this forum for some reason.
    The game is less popular than x? "that's because especs aren't locked behind the quest chains!"
    A mode has low popularity? "that's because weapon stow mechanic exists!"

LOL, no.

edited April 22, 2020

you see all the time bug fixes related to it. Meanwhile people ignore the obvious connection between bugs that exist, because of it. I stated it earlier in one of my posts above. They fix these bugs as a bandaid. they would have it much easier by erasing weapon stow alltogether than fixing each new bug that is created because of it.

• Kulvar.1239Kulvar.1239 Member ✭✭✭

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    some specs rely on animation canceling to work

That's the issue. Animation cancelling should impede your damage and specs shouldn't rely on it to work.
    If that was solved, I would be okay with letting people stow

@pninak.1069 said:
    you see all the time bug fixes related to it.

Like what? To me it seems more like they fix what they don't want to overperform. And stop calling a bug something that's not one. If you think it's a bug, there's a place to report it.

• Tharan.9085Tharan.9085 Member ✭✭✭

@pninak.1069 said:
    you see all the time bug fixes related to it. Meanwhile people ignore the obvious connection between bugs that exist, because of it. I stated it earlier in one of my posts above. They fix these bugs as a bandaid. they would have it much easier by erasing weapon stow alltogether than fixing each new bug that is created because of it.

Nonono, all those bugs are related to abilities, we should remove them all and rather use rock/paper/scissor

ofc they are related to abilities. to abilities that people liked to exploit using weapon stowing. don't play dumb.

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Kulvar.1239 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    some specs rely on animation canceling to work

That's the issue. Animation cancelling should impede your damage and specs shouldn't rely on it to work.
    If that was solved, I would be okay with letting people stow

the only issue here is a personal one.

Te lazla otstara.

• Lincolnbeard.1735Lincolnbeard.1735 Member ✭✭✭✭

No need to take away the stow, just fix these issues.
    BF used to get a shorter CD if cancelled, now goes into full CD. Do the same treatment to everything.

The degenerate

• Grimjack.8130Grimjack.8130 Member ✭✭✭

holy moly this is the worst thread ive read on the forums

I'm a well known nobody.
    Former member of [MnF], [DnT], [dP], and [Hg]. Winner of the 2018 ERP Tournament.