Is ranger viable for end game meta in 2020?

winstrol.8623

Ranger is viable/meta in all content except organized squad based WvW.

In Fractals,Strikes or Raids:

• Power DPS soulbeast (3 variants)
  • Condition DPS soulbeast
  • Heal Druid

PvP,WvW roaming:

• Core power ranger
  • Sick them soulbeast

Hope this helps. There are sites with specific builds you can check out.

@Chokolata.1870 said:Ranger is viable/meta in all content except organized squad based WvW.

• Heal Druid

PvP,WvW roaming:

• Core power ranger
  • Sick them soulbeast

I have played ranger main for years, this response is spot on. There are plenty of nonrangers who dislike other people playing ranger but it is a fantastic class and apart from the excessive nerfs recently to soulbeast in WvW it is in a really good place.

PvE it's part of the fractal (see discretize), raid (see snowcrows or metabattle), and strike meta (if there was one).It just isn't stacked because spirits don't stack well unlike quickness , but I'm sure if quickness wasn't 50% extra attack speeds people would probably run more One Wolf Pack stance shares or things of that nature.

If you're doing endgame content just don't camp longbow at max range and understand that greatsword has some of the highest damage especially if you push out maul consistently whereas you'll need to try harder with sword+axe or dagger+axe since you'd need whirling defense damage. I've seen people bench autoattacks and Greatsword with flanking was around 18K .There's two main damage variants when power damage is warranted: Soulbeast with beastmastery+marksmanship (typically used when flanking isn't always possible and fury uptime is poor) or Soulbeast with beastmastery + skirmishing (requires flanking for max damage and provides spotter buff for group). Heal druid is still used in 10 man content. Condi should only be used when things don't die quickly like in strikes and raids.

WvW you don't want to use projectiles if you can help it, keep pet stowed via Soulbeast for stealth pushes, and provide cleave so the best option is stanceshare with Greatsword and double axe (just be careful with it since auto is projectile) or sword+axe if you want full melee. Longbow should be kept for roaming. Condis on soulbeast generally aren't worth it because bleeding and poison don't have the speed of burning ; scourge does a better job putting out bleeding and poison while also providing corrupts and barrier.

For PvP it's not meta because due to the competitive split , Greatsword nerfs with the obvious maul animation, and condi class meta it isn't as strong as before. As long as there's no protection and aegis up there's still plenty of burst though herald, spellbreaker, and holosmith are generally preferred.

@Eurantien.4632 said:Core ranger currently has the highest win rate in PvP ranked. But this is a rare occurrence and it will likely be nerfed soon.

no point in getting used to this. people should just play other builds. with another round of nerfs to guards and necros, condi SB will be in a really good position imo. easily climbed to plat past all the meta specs, still learning the build.

@mistsim.2748 said:

@Eurantien.4632 said:Core ranger currently has the highest win rate in PvP ranked. But this is a rare occurrence and it will likely be nerfed soon.

no point in getting used to this. people should just play other builds. with another round of nerfs to guards and necros, condi SB will be in a really good position imo.

As long as prot holo exists I don't think condi ranger will. And i don't think condi ranger will work for competitive 5v5 like Monthly.

@Eurantien.4632 said:

no point in getting used to this. people should just play other builds. with another round of nerfs to guards and necros, condi SB will be in a really good position imo.

As long as prot holo exists I don't think condi ranger will. And i don't think condi ranger will work for competitive 5v5 like Monthly.

i havent run into too many of those luckily, probably in higher tier play. i like my unblockable traps, immob spam, and shortbow right now, they absolutely shred necros, eles, and guards.

@Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

@Chokolata.1870 said:Ranger is viable/meta in all content except organized squad based WvW.

• Heal Druid

PvP,WvW roaming:
  • Core power ranger
  • Sick them soulbeast

I have played ranger main for years, this response is spot on. There are plenty of nonrangers who dislike other people playing ranger but it is a fantastic class and apart from the excessive nerfs recently to soulbeast in WvW it is in a really good place.

yup condition soulbeast is still stronk in pve. especially using traps when agroing npcs to one spot.

Ranger has solid power, condi, and support options. Druid is a fantastic choice for a lot of raid/fractal groups, and you can always do dps on most any fight. I think a lot of the reason ranger is looked down upon so much is that it's a very beginner-friendly class so it attracts some inexperienced people. If you put enough time into mastering it, ranger can be a really amazing and versatile option.