How to Fix Stealth

@Junkpile.7439 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:The counter to stealth is simple, don't make players disappear but leave traces like the predator. So you can see a glimpse of where they'd be.Kind of pointless use stealth if enemy know where you are. If i play mesmer stealth is only way to survive.

I agree on that as well. I think that stopping the stacking of stealth would go a long way in balancing it. I'd like to see the damage floaters if I hit someone in stealth, I mean if I hit something invisible I should feel the resistance and or see the blood splatter right? But if that happened there would be too much QQ on the forums.

No stacking stealth seemed like a decent compromise.

I still dunno how you are ment to counter stealth. I mean as a short mid-combat spell you can't do much. but for thiefs they just force you to spam aoe and they can just wait. then there is the problem that some classes don't have enough aoe or damaging aoe. Most notably mesmer. we got chaos storm only. and there are hardly any magic weapons that you can use skill 1 in unless you got an enemy targeted. making the weapon obsolete in a vs thief scenario. and once you spammed all your aoe you are done. there is nothing you can do. But ofc thief mains deny this in pretty much every forum. Although they are correct at shoot your aoe at the shadow fields, which results in a very short term gain only. I guarantee they restealth pretty much the second later when out of stealth and continue doing the waiting game.

@pninak.1069 said:I still dunno how you are ment to counter stealth. I mean as a short mid-combat spell you can't do much. but for thiefs they just force you to spam aoe and they can just wait. then there is the problem that some classes don't have enough aoe or damaging aoe. Most notably mesmer. we got chaos storm only. and there are hardly any magic weapons that you can use skill 1 in unless you got an enemy targeted. making the weapon obsolete in a vs thief scenario. and once you spammed all your aoe you are done. there is nothing you can do. But ofc thief mains deny this in pretty much every forum. Although they are correct at shoot your aoe at the shadow fields, which results in a very short term gain only. I guarantee they restealth pretty much the second later when out of stealth and continue doing the waiting game.

I counter others stealth mostly by assuming one or three people already have me targeted and are plotting. Secondly I have max pan camera speed and am always looking around (helps to listen for portals also) and almost always positioning or being alert and ready when I'm perched someplace, I still get caught sometimes but that's WvW. I also have some feel for what different stealth effects look like on the ground and what their duration might be and how they're oriented to guess a little what they're up to and where they're likely at right now. As a thief, if another players stealth were much more apparent to me, mesmers would almost never get by to drop a portal on our side.

Long duration stealth can be regulated some, there have been good ideas on that in other threads.

@Junkpile.7439 said:

@"Sovereign.1093" said:The counter to stealth is simple, don't make players disappear but leave traces like the predator. So you can see a glimpse of where they'd be.Kind of pointless use stealth if enemy know where you are. If i play mesmer stealth is only way to survive.

Mesmer is not a Rogue Profession. Secondly, Stealth goes against their identity, core root and their philosophy in every way so why do they have it to begin with?

'A master of illusion, misdirection, and control, the Mesmer subverts the damage-dealing capabilities of others, manipulating their perceptions to achieve personal goals.'https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mesmer

Here is Warrior, Necromancer Professions in Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. Do they have access stealth? No! because it would go against their identity, core roots and their philosophy

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warriorhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warriorhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Necromancerhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Necromancer

A New Proposal

• Stealth will secure Thief identity, Core Roots and its Philosophy as a Rogue Profession
  • Completely remove Stealth from all the professions
  • Stealth will solely be accessible to Thief Profession (after having a complete new design with risk and rewards factors enable at all time)
  • Like 1

I mostly use stealth on torch at the start of a fight and try to get my clones out for shatter skills if needs might be. then depending on situation one of the 3 skills that create mirrors. to get the IH ambush and to preserve my 1 dodge. I don't use mass inivisbility, because of Jaunt giving two extra condi celanse. signet of illusion instead of midnight in order to get clones faster. hardly use the signet.

Now how many mesmer would you need to get perma stealth. torch skill 4 is 3 sec on 24 sec cd and MI is 6 on 90 cd. for skill 4 to chain we need 4 MI. so 90-64= 66 66:6= 11 since we can use torch every 24 secs for the use of 4 MI we get 3+6+6+6+6= 27 90:27=3.33 so we have to use this sequence more than 3 times in order to permastealth. since it is 33% we can breakdown 27:3=9 so 9 extra seconds during last circle meaning one additional mesmer. so we get 43+1. so 13 mesmers.

@Burnfall.9573 said:

@"Sovereign.1093" said:The counter to stealth is simple, don't make players disappear but leave traces like the predator. So you can see a glimpse of where they'd be.Kind of pointless use stealth if enemy know where you are. If i play mesmer stealth is only way to survive.

Mesmer is not a Rogue Profession. Secondly, Stealth goes against their identity, core root and their philosophy in every way so why do they have it to begin with?

'A master of illusion, misdirection, and control, the Mesmer subverts the damage-dealing capabilities of others, manipulating their perceptions to achieve personal goals.'

Here is Warrior, Necromancer Professions in Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. Do they have access stealth? No! because it would go against their identity, core roots and their philosophy

A New Proposal
  • Stealth will secure Thief identity, Core Roots and its Philosophy as a Rogue Profession
  • Stealth will solely be accessible to Thief Profession (after having a complete new design with risk and rewards factors enable at all time)

I notice you didn’t include Mesmers from GW2.

mesmer mains don't consider mesmer in gw2 a worthy class, because of how they have butchered it down compared to the predecessor. I don't like it as much too, since the clones don't seem to have a real purpose. gw1 mesmer was more about controlling the enemy build more than your own.

• Like 1

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

'A master of illusion, misdirection, and control, the Mesmer subverts the damage-dealing capabilities of others, manipulating their perceptions to achieve personal goals.'

A New Proposal

Mesmer in Guild Wars 2 is not true Mesmer from Guild Wars 1

-'Their powers of domination allow them to take control of enemy skills and Energy.'https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Domination_Magic

Mesmer Profession true power is in their Domination Magic, not ever in Stealth Mechanic

@Burnfall.9573 said:

A New Proposal

-'Their powers of domination allow them to take control of enemy skills and Energy.'

Mesmer Profession true power is in their Domination Magic, not ever in Stealth Mechanic

True story. They changed Mesmer a great deal in GW2.

Still. Stealth is used by several classes, not Thieves only.

@kash.9213 is right in that there are different effects to look out for, and those are important. However, functionally, allowing stealth to stack is part of its inherent issues and abuse.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

A New Proposal

-'Their powers of domination allow them to take control of enemy skills and Energy.'

@kash.9213 is right in that there are different effects to look out for, and those are important. However, functionally, allowing stealth to stack is part of its inherent issues and abuse.

+1

I also agree with Kash suggestions. Yet, I strongly believe it is time to put an end to the 'Professions having access to stealth 'wheel' to give Thief Profession sole access to Stealth

@Burnfall.9573 said:

A New Proposal

+1

I also agree with Kash suggestions. Yet, I strongly believe it is time to put an end to the 'Professions having access to stealth 'wheel' to give Thief Profession sole access only to Stealth

Stealth isn't just Thief's though, core Mesmer, Ranger, and Engi have all had access to it for just as long. Even having smoke fields in the game makes it not solely the Thief's thing. That is like Engi's complaining about other classes having Superspeed.

Give stealth 8 sec cap so stacking 15 sec etc isn't possible. Make every stealth skill leave a temporary visual effect that remains for a time on location player stealth'd that way anyone with map awareness will know a thief stealth'd nearby. Apply to all classes. Stealth not stacking is a unrealistically ask and would require a decent compensation for thief or make stealth 6 secs baseline with no stacking but instead the ability to reset to 6 if applied again. Any damage taken reveals thief, maybe excluding aoe's cuz this game is about spamming then everywhere lol.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

A New Proposal

+1

I also agree with Kash suggestions. Yet, I strongly believe it is time to put an end to the 'Professions having access to stealth 'wheel' to give Thief Profession sole access only to Stealth

Stealth isn't just Thief's though, core Mesmer, Ranger, and Engi have all had access to it for just as long. Even having smoke fields in the game makes it not solely the Thief's thing. That is like Engi's complaining about other classes having Superspeed.

Camouflage should've been Ranger Profession mechanic to begin with, already mentioned Mesmer Profession and for Engineer Profession; they are mobile tank killing machine. I do not know how does Rogue and a Alchemy goes together. It is like a tank and stealth plane- they are not the same thing. It is like saying, a tank having similar access to a stealth plane speed and calling it square.

Engineer Profession shouldn't have access to superspeed period! If this is the approach to be taken, why not make Engineer Profession transform into a superspeed plane to justify their superspeed?? Afterall, as a Mechanist, they should be able to transform into anything mechanical? so why not just give it to them? that's fair, don't you think so?

• i'm just saying....

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:I'd like to see the damage floaters if I hit someone in stealth

you can do this by having your combat log open.

I definitely know when I've hit a stealthed opponent. There's some kind of visual tell, unless I'm imagining it (or just used to fighting stealthed opponents) lol but I've always been able to tell without referring to the combat log. Another thing which I've also never heard thieves complain about (or anything that has access to stealth) even though it definitely gives an advantage over them is the fact that autotarget/snap to ground can let you noscope a thief. Never heard them cry about it, and you don't even need a channeled skill. It even gives you the advantage of knowing which direction they are. Players in stealth are not as big as a problem as people make them out to be if they knew not to panic and what to look for (visual/audio/animations). Knowing their cd's and when to interrupt or do big dmg is key. If you have bad lags, good luck though lol.