Reward Track choice

Midnight.7526

This isn't a fix, more of a workaround. Once completing a track you don't want to repeat, simply don't reactivate it. That way it will select a track that you haven't completed. Eventually you'll get down to two tracks, the one you want, and a second choice. Once you complete your primary, your rollover will go to your second choice. Then at worst you'll only lose a bit of xp in the second track each time before you remember to reactivate your primary track.

For example, I'm doing Crystal Desert active to get the armor. I keep the Gift of Battle track as my second choice, and have all the other tracks filled up (I play too much WvW). When CD finishes, a bit of XP hits GoB, but I usually remember to switch it back within one or two ticks.

@Malerian.8435 said:It's really not a big deal. Just pay attention to it and switch it in time. Works for me every time. Asking Anet to fix your laziness is just laughable.

It's not laziness, it's me getting older with a poor memory. I don't remember it til I see the different reward on the UI and then being unhappy that I have wasted xp.

@Midnight.7526 said:

@Malerian.8435 said:It's really not a big deal. Just pay attention to it and switch it in time. Works for me every time. Asking Anet to fix your laziness is just laughable.

It's not laziness, it's me getting older with a poor memory. I don't remember it til I see the different reward on the UI and then being unhappy that I have wasted xp.

I respectfully disagree with you. I am a fairly older player myself and I rarely have issues with this. I will tell you why I have no issues with it. It is just like everything else in WvW you must pay attention to everything. Anet's job is not to make sure that you have the track that "you" want to run automatically switch based on a que or something. They have given you a way to select the track you want. But you as the gamer have to pay attention to that. If you do not pay attention to it, it will not be the result that you were hoping for.

So yes it is laziness in a way. I am not calling you a bad player or putting you down! I am just giving you the facts. You have nobody but yourself to blame.

It's not laziness, it's a distraction from the real action in WvW...fights are more fun that reward track monitoring..

@Sylvyn.4750 said:

It's not laziness, it's a distraction from the real action in WvW...fights are more fun that reward track monitoring..

I would agree with the distraction part. But my statement stands that Anet should not have to do this for you. If you snooze you loose lol.

On the other hand, asking Anet to fix their poor UX design (which this quite clearly is) is quite understandable. When you finish a reward track, there are two reasonable ways for the game to react: explicitly ask the user to choose a new reward track or, somewhat less reasonably, simply repeat the track previously chosen by the user. Switching to a randomly selected different reward track is quite clearly the least reasonable and least expected thing to do at this point. Which makes it a user experience design issue, not a player laziness issue.

@Gudy.3607 said:

On the other hand, asking Anet to fix their poor UX design (which this quite clearly is) is quite understandable. When you finish a reward track, there are two reasonable ways for the game to react: explicitly ask the user to choose a new reward track or, somewhat less reasonably, simply repeat the track previously chosen by the user. Switching to a randomly selected different reward track is quite clearly the least reasonable and least expected thing to do at this point. Which makes it a user experience design issue, not a player laziness issue.

It would take literally fewer character changes than I'm typing now to refactor the functionality. I wouldn't even go so far as to say it delves into UX territory, so tired of having to fix lazy coders work because UX.

@Malerian.8435 said:

@Midnight.7526 said:

I respectfully disagree with you. I am a fairly older player myself and I rarely have issues with this. I will tell you why I have no issues with it. It is just like everything else in WvW you must pay attention to everything. Anet's job is not to make sure that you have the track that "you" want to run automatically switch based on a que or something. They have given you a way to select the track you want. But you as the gamer have to pay attention to that. If you do not pay attention to it, it will not be the result that you were hoping for.

So yes it is laziness in a way. I am not calling you a bad player or putting you down! I am just giving you the facts. You have nobody but yourself to blame.

So because you don't have memory issues, no one does? It's great to be the one to set the universal standard isn't it? One size fits all!

On topic, I think it would be great to be able to select repeat, random, things like that. Good idea.

I honestly don't think forgetting about the reward track speaks to your character type as a human being, and Im sure Anet doesn't either, but, it would be nice if they added an extra convenience for the nice reward tracks they gave us SINCE there are so many that are repeatable and most of mine are in various stages of disarray.

@xDudisx.5914 said:The default option should be repeat the same reward track. Only change if the user actively decide to change it.Except a lot of tracks are non-repeatable; so its still a guessing game by the UI to decrypt your through process.

From what I can tell, it likes to default to whichever track has the most progress at the time to catch the spill over. All in all, thats not a bad assumption to make, as you've already sank a noticeable amount of time into it.

If I had my druthers, I would add 2 flags to define current track and "next track". To handle contingencies, "Next track" on repeatable tracks just reloads it in the queue; while Non-Repeatable tracks loads into the next tier (if available). The current default behavior can easily handle fallback for final tier tracks, for the reasons I stated earlier.

• 3 months later...

@Malerian.8435 said:

@Midnight.7526 said:

So...I should be distracted from helping fellow players in WvW to keep track of my reward track. Because trying to deal with that is a distraction.

this is so needed - sometimes you gain enough experience right near the end to finish one track and get the first reward for a completely different reward track before I can get to switch back to the previous one thus wasting xp so its not laziness at times I always remember to switch the previous one when I can but sometime sits not possible - happens a lot on pvp as well the default option should be to repeat the previous one

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@xDudisx.5914 said:The default option should be repeat the same reward track. Only change if the user actively decide to change it.Except a lot of tracks are non-repeatable; so its still a guessing game by the UI to decrypt your through process.

From what I can tell, it likes to default to whichever track has the most progress at the time to catch the spill over. All in all, thats not a bad assumption to make, as you've already sank a noticeable amount of time into it.

If I had my druthers, I would add 2 flags to define current track and "next track". To handle contingencies, "Next track" on repeatable tracks just reloads it in the queue; while Non-Repeatable tracks loads into the next tier (if available). The current default behavior can easily handle fallback for final tier tracks, for the reasons I stated earlier.

This. 100% this. Solves the main problem people have with reward tracks right now (also true in PvP).

@Midnight.7526 said:

@Midnight.7526 said:

So...I should be distracted from helping fellow players in WvW to keep track of my reward track. Because trying to deal with that is a distraction.

I rarely have issues with this as it only requires you to multitask. That is what WvW is all about multitasking. In order to be good and have fun at something like WvW you need to be able to multitask, and this includes your reward track.

Archived