How to beat thief in 1v1s as a warrior?

Inguz.6493

Thief (or most often daredevil) can down me while the thief survives with maybe 70-80% hp as a Spellbreaker Warrior with greatsword and dagger+shield. I can last for a while, that's not an issue, but the issue comes when actually trying to deal any sort of relevant damage. There's only so many stunbreaks I have access to. Right now my tactic is to wait out the initial burst with shield block (the one that blinks all over the place), dodge the clearly telegraphed beyblade and so on, and land a Bull's Charge 2s stun on the thief in between all these evade frames and invisibility, but it gets cleansed instantly and the thief just resets the fight and it starts all over again while I don't have my defensive CDs back yet.

How the hell am I supposed to compete with all the stuns, blinds, dodges, evades and stealth fight resets when I either can't hit the thief or see him? In team fights I just slice them in half in a matter of seconds, but that's not what I want to know.

@Inguz.6493 said:Thief (or most often daredevil) can down me while the thief survives with maybe 70-80% hp as a Spellbreaker Warrior with greatsword and dagger+shield. I can last for a while, that's not an issue, but the issue comes when actually trying to deal any sort of relevant damage. There's only so many stunbreaks I have access to. Right now my tactic is to wait out the initial burst with shield block (the one that blinks all over the place), dodge the clearly telegraphed beyblade and so on, and land a Bull's Charge 2s stun on the thief in between all these evade frames and invisibility, but it gets cleansed instantly and the thief just resets the fight and it starts all over again while I don't have my defensive CDs back yet.

How the hell am I supposed to compete with all the stuns, blinds, dodges, evades and stealth fight resets when I either can't hit the thief or see him? In team fights I just slice them in half in a matter of seconds, but that's not what I want to know.

Uh, this fight should be incredibly free for you. You do a lot more damage to them than they do to you, and you have a lot more survivabiltiy and CC than they do. You should note what kind of thief were talking about, though. If its D/P, just stun them and wail on them. Theyll have to burn a stunbreak or they die, and if they do, they cant fight you because your stuns have lower cooldowns than their stunbreaks. If theyre S/D, dodge Larcenous strike (the followup to the side-ways evade) and push them towards their infiltrators strike spot, that way their positioning is completely messed up. If its staff, dodge vault and the build is useless.

Anyway, for the most part its just, hit them and use your defenses well? If you do that, the thief has absolutely no way of killing you. All they can (and will) do is run away.

I play a lot of both and have been on both sides many many times. On dp thief if the warrior doesn't no thiefs skills,rotations and the playstyle I can usually get the down with little pressure by blinding with black powder,using the smoke fields and by going in and out of stealth followed by backstabs. I find keeping my distance and timing my black powders so war isn't in melee distance for long without being blinded. As a warrior shield bash timed right or bulls charge are usually enough with 100 blades and f1. Dont use both SB and BS close together as the thief will predict what ur trying to do. Try and shield bash or BS during a thiefs aftercast, when I find I catch and get caught the most. Axe mh destroys thiefs quick whereas dagger mh bates out stunbreaks easier.It's hard to say a definitive method as sometimes on thief I meet wars who I cant dent and wreck me and others I can delete using blinds and barely get touched. Same for warrior, sometimes catch damaged thief with axe 3 and that's all it took or catch them with hard cc and if thier stunbreaks are used the one burst downs them. For warrior each thief build takes different approach tho, lately been only touching dp.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

@Inguz.6493 said:Thief (or most often daredevil) can down me while the thief survives with maybe 70-80% hp as a Spellbreaker Warrior with greatsword and dagger+shield. I can last for a while, that's not an issue, but the issue comes when actually trying to deal any sort of relevant damage. There's only so many stunbreaks I have access to. Right now my tactic is to wait out the initial burst with shield block (the one that blinks all over the place), dodge the clearly telegraphed beyblade and so on, and land a Bull's Charge 2s stun on the thief in between all these evade frames and invisibility, but it gets cleansed instantly and the thief just resets the fight and it starts all over again while I don't have my defensive CDs back yet.

Uh, this fight should be incredibly free for you. You do a lot more damage to them than they do to you, and you have a lot more survivabiltiy and CC than they do. You should note what kind of thief were talking about, though. If its D/P, just stun them and wail on them. Theyll have to burn a stunbreak or they die, and if they do, they cant fight you because your stuns have lower cooldowns than their stunbreaks. If theyre S/D, dodge Larcenous strike (the followup to the side-ways evade) and push them towards their infiltrators strike spot, that way their positioning is completely messed up. If its staff, dodge vault and the build is useless.

Anyway, for the most part its just, hit them and use your defenses well? If you do that, the thief has absolutely no way of killing you. All they can (and will) do is run away.

True but If they don't know thief well a good dp thief can keep blinds up and out maneuver the war and chip its hp down. Not in thieves favor tho if war knows thief well. I'm glad he asked, more people should before claiming specs are OP.

I fought a spellbreaker yesterday that made great use of magebane tether to reveal me and pull me close for bursts. In general, you have waaaaaay more burst (adrenaline spending) skills than I do stunbreaks, and your sustain is bound up in that too. Remember that full counter will apply the tether if it hits, and it has a reasonable range on it as well. Something he did was use the dagger F1 in the area where I was after I had stealthed; thieves are unlikely to dodge in stealth, meaning I often got hit by it and revealed by the tether. He then ran in the opposite direction to pull me, and then he burst. If you're weird like me and tend to run tanky thief builds, it's a battle of attrition in both directions, if the thief is glass you just need to keep track of their stunbreaks, play defensively and use magebane to force them to burn them and go ham when you know they can't break out of it.

Happy hunting ^^

PS; if they are doing the whirl from the stolen item (looks more yellow than daggerstorm), they are reflecting projectiles but aren't evading. That's a good opportunity to use full counter to tether them, and because of the range they probably won't dodge it in time.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

I'll admit, most thieves just let me hit them. But that's more a concern for them, not skillful counterplay on my part. I'm not sure which spec it is that I have a problem with, but it's daredevil and they use lots of cc, evades and restealth a lot.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:I play a lot of both and have been on both sides many many times. On dp thief if the warrior doesn't no thiefs skills,rotations and the playstyle I can usually get the down with little pressure by blinding with black powder,using the smoke fields and by going in and out of stealth followed by backstabs. I find keeping my distance and timing my black powders so war isn't in melee distance for long without being blinded. As a warrior shield bash timed right or bulls charge are usually enough with 100 blades and f1. Dont use both SB and BS close together as the thief will predict what ur trying to do. Try and shield bash or BS during a thiefs aftercast, when I find I catch and get caught the most. Axe mh destroys thiefs quick whereas dagger mh bates out stunbreaks easier.It's hard to say a definitive method as sometimes on thief I meet wars who I cant dent and wreck me and others I can delete using blinds and barely get touched. Same for warrior, sometimes catch damaged thief with axe 3 and that's all it took or catch them with hard cc and if thier stunbreaks are used the one burst downs them. For warrior each thief build takes different approach tho, lately been only touching dp.

Good point, I need to time my shield stun better and expect it to get cleansed. Since you play both, is it better to use dagger+shield until I know for sure I can get a Bull's Charge stun in?

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:I fought a spellbreaker yesterday that made great use of magebane tether to reveal me and pull me close for bursts. In general, you have waaaaaay more burst (adrenaline spending) skills than I do stunbreaks, and your sustain is bound up in that too. Remember that full counter will apply the tether if it hits, and it has a reasonable range on it as well. Something he did was use the dagger F1 in the area where I was after I had stealthed; thieves are unlikely to dodge in stealth, meaning I often got hit by it and revealed by the tether. He then ran in the opposite direction to pull me, and then he burst. If you're weird like me and tend to run tanky thief builds, it's a battle of attrition in both directions, if the thief is glass you just need to keep track of their stunbreaks, play defensively and use magebane to force them to burn them and go ham when you know they can't break out of it.

Happy hunting ^^

PS; if they are doing the whirl from the stolen item (looks more yellow than daggerstorm), they are reflecting projectiles but aren't evading. That's a good opportunity to use full counter to tether them, and because of the range they probably won't dodge it in time.

The problem isn't that I don't have burst, I sure have it in my toolkit, but it's that I don't hit the thief enough that I charge my adrenaline bar in order to tether. So maybe focusing on using dagger would be better to get quick hits in, in between all the evasive action. How many stun breaks does a daredevil have?

Thanks!

@Inguz.6493 said:

I'll admit, most thieves just let me hit them. But that's more a concern for them, not skillful counterplay on my part. I'm not sure which spec it is that I have a problem with, but it's daredevil and they use lots of cc, evades and restealth a lot.

No thief spec uses a lot of CC. Typically they just have the daze on Steal. They might have immob, but Warrior deals with that petty easily. And if they try to stealth mid-combat, punish them. Any way they can enter stealth either leaves them vulnerable during it, after it, or both. Hit them with your hardest hitting stuff. Hell, youre on Spellbreaker, arent you? Just use Arcing Slice and you tag them for Magebane Tether. They cant even stealth then.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:I play a lot of both and have been on both sides many many times. On dp thief if the warrior doesn't no thiefs skills,rotations and the playstyle I can usually get the down with little pressure by blinding with black powder,using the smoke fields and by going in and out of stealth followed by backstabs. I find keeping my distance and timing my black powders so war isn't in melee distance for long without being blinded. As a warrior shield bash timed right or bulls charge are usually enough with 100 blades and f1. Dont use both SB and BS close together as the thief will predict what ur trying to do. Try and shield bash or BS during a thiefs aftercast, when I find I catch and get caught the most. Axe mh destroys thiefs quick whereas dagger mh bates out stunbreaks easier.It's hard to say a definitive method as sometimes on thief I meet wars who I cant dent and wreck me and others I can delete using blinds and barely get touched. Same for warrior, sometimes catch damaged thief with axe 3 and that's all it took or catch them with hard cc and if thier stunbreaks are used the one burst downs them. For warrior each thief build takes different approach tho, lately been only touching dp.

Good point, I need to time my shield stun better and expect it to get cleansed. Since you play both, is it better to use dagger+shield until I know for sure I can get a Bull's Charge stun in?

Depends on the weaponset of the thief. If they do use stealth, Greatsword punishes it more easily and has an easier time tagging them with Magebane. Id probably stick with Greatsword overall.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:I fought a spellbreaker yesterday that made great use of magebane tether to reveal me and pull me close for bursts. In general, you have waaaaaay more burst (adrenaline spending) skills than I do stunbreaks, and your sustain is bound up in that too. Remember that full counter will apply the tether if it hits, and it has a reasonable range on it as well. Something he did was use the dagger F1 in the area where I was after I had stealthed; thieves are unlikely to dodge in stealth, meaning I often got hit by it and revealed by the tether. He then ran in the opposite direction to pull me, and then he burst. If you're weird like me and tend to run tanky thief builds, it's a battle of attrition in both directions, if the thief is glass you just need to keep track of their stunbreaks, play defensively and use magebane to force them to burn them and go ham when you know they can't break out of it.

Happy hunting ^^

The problem isn't that I don't have burst, I sure have it in my toolkit, but it's that I don't hit the thief enough that I charge my adrenaline bar in order to tether. So maybe focusing on using dagger would be better to get quick hits in, in between all the evasive action. How many stun breaks does a daredevil have?

Thanks!

Depends on the exact build, but 1-2. They always run Shadowstep, and they might be running Roll for Initiative or smokebomb. Theyre also all on looong cooldowns. Anyway, they really shouldnt be able to stop most of your hits, especially not if they want to do any damage to you. They dont have that many evades (less than even an Ele) and their active defenses arent great either.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

No thief spec uses a lot of CC. Typically they just have the daze on Steal. They might have immob, but Warrior deals with that petty easily. And if they try to stealth mid-combat, punish them. Any way they can enter stealth either leaves them vulnerable during it, after it, or both. Hit them with your hardest hitting stuff. Hell, youre on Spellbreaker, arent you? Just use Arcing Slice and you tag them for Magebane Tether. They cant even stealth then.

Depends on the weaponset of the thief. If they do use stealth, Greatsword punishes it more easily and has an easier time tagging them with Magebane. Id probably stick with Greatsword overall.

Happy hunting ^^

Thanks!

Depends on the exact build, but 1-2. They always run Shadowstep, and they might be running Roll for Initiative or smokebomb. Theyre also all on
looong
cooldowns. Anyway, they really shouldnt be able to stop most of your hits, especially not if they want to do any damage to you. They dont have
that
many evades (less than even an Ele) and their active defenses arent great either.

1) A daze + Fear after the first hit on stealth + Weakness cripping them 50% of the attacksGoing stealth th BLack Powder offer 2 Blinds to protect you whileyou stealth

3) Shadowshotsoffer Blind + you have 3 dodges + 20% rredction rom traits + weakness on the target

if we talking about rifle or short bow thief probably have next no chance if they play there cards right. but if just asking for general tips. dodge is not .75 eva frames first .0150 of activation of a fix animation skill (a skill you can not cancel) has opening to hit. and from .75 - .7650 there after cast delay where you can not do anything. so if a thief trys to double dodge it become .03 open frame window of where you can do punish. this apply to all classes.

so if i was playing a warrior what i would do i would throw great sword at thief to make them dodge. an you set up the charge to land on that frame time force thief most likely to try dodge again. that basically result in either thief running away or you automatically winning.

as a tip if you want to use that form of fighting make sure when you throw the sword at thief you do not have them targeted because a good thief knows you can studder step projectile skills cause it to miss outside of 700 range.

@Inguz.6493 said:

Happy hunting ^^

Thanks!

Thing is even with war axe nerfs a squishy like thief the vuln from axe 2 and a axe3 when thief is low can be very punishing especially when they try to keep distance from u. Ull have a easier time baiting out the stunbreaks with dagger as ull have 4 easy stuns, dagger,bash, fullcounter and bulls. I try and bait them out with danger and fc, bash and bulls are the two I try and burst after especially bulls. If u use. Thief dependent on build usually atleast has shadow step and now blinding powder is a stunbreak to and common on pd builds and some DE.