FIX YOUR SERVERS

This is ridiculous... either I can't login (connection lost), or I can't select my character (connection lost), or I get in but can't get into WvW (connection lost), or I get into WvW but can't change to another borderland (connection lost). I can surf the net so it's not me, and others in my guild are in so what is going on??!!... FIX IT..

@Tharnaron.2967 said:It's not my client.. when I get in I can play until the connection is lost.. connection lost is their end... and ANET you have a CRITICAL INCIDENT ongoing that you are not managing... FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it could be some spot in the middle that belongs to neither you nor ANet.

If you calmly reach out to ANet's support, they should be able to help you figure things out.

It's like traffic. You have a Starting Point and an Ending Point. If there's an accident blocking traffic on a highway, it's not the Ending Point's fault.

In this case your computer is the Starting Point and the ANet servers are the Ending Point. You're complaining to ANet without checking to make sure there wasn't an accident blocking the highway in the middle.

Not to mention anything that requires a constant internet connection is probably more strained as there is more traffic on the internet than normal since more people are working from home or currently off work until the pandemic calms down. More traffic means things get congested. Which can slow things down. And for a service that needs instant feedback, that slowdown can cause a drop in connection because a response wasn't received back quickly enough due to that congestion.

This doesn't mean that ANet's in the clear, but without working with them to help figure it out, you're just going to be proverbially yelling to a wall.

Trying to play on iMac suddenly went south. The struggle is real Anet fam. I'm trying everything. Please take a Mac moment when you can. Until then, stay well and wash your hands, because another 15-years in Tyria would not make me mad at all.

tbh ive noticed an increase in disconnects(as in...i never disconnected at all prior to this week unless it was from being away from the computer for a length of time.)

Its gotten faster too at least today. I doubt its really their fault though..see theres this called Covid going around and its probably making it hard to do maintenance on servers etc.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Hmm... maybe repair the client? If other people are able to log in, as you say, then the issue isn't on the server end.

While it might be a client side (or backbone) issue, just because others can log in and play does not, in any way mean it's not server side.

On the other hand, just because he can connect to other things also does not, in any way mean its not on his side.

Things like this happen if sharing a connection and there are too many UPchannel hogs. UP channel for most ISP services are narrower than DOWN. Check FB, Discord and other users in your house. Plus, wifi can add to the trouble if you have the bad luck of radio interference between you and your hub.

I haven't seen any connection issues in years and I use the BOTTOM tier offered by UVERSE (the cheapest). Last time we had this issue at my house, my son had FB idle in the background and the ISP connection to my house was also broken. Fixed both in a week and back to normal.

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Hmm... maybe repair the client? If other people are able to log in, as you say, then the issue isn't on the server end.

While it might be a client side (or backbone) issue, just because others can log in and play does not, in any way mean it's not server side.

On the other hand, just because he can connect to other things also does not, in any way mean its not on his side.

I literally said that in my post you quoted....

@Seera.5916 said:

@Tharnaron.2967 said:It's not my client.. when I get in I can play until the connection is lost.. connection lost is their end... and ANET you have a CRITICAL INCIDENT ongoing that you are not managing... FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you calmly reach out to ANet's support, they should be able to help you figure things out.

It's like traffic. You have a Starting Point and an Ending Point. If there's an accident blocking traffic on a highway, it's not the Ending Point's fault.

In this case your computer is the Starting Point and the ANet servers are the Ending Point. You're complaining to ANet without checking to make sure there wasn't an accident blocking the highway in the middle.

Not to mention anything that requires a constant internet connection is probably more strained as there is more traffic on the internet than normal since more people are working from home or currently off work until the pandemic calms down. More traffic means things get congested. Which can slow things down. And for a service that needs instant feedback, that slowdown can cause a drop in connection because a response wasn't received back quickly enough due to that congestion.

This doesn't mean that ANet's in the clear, but without working with them to help figure it out, you're just going to be proverbially yelling to a wall.

Might not be ANet fault. Though it doesn't make sense to say that the internet traffic is way higher than normal. Everyone is connected to the same said internet everyday. Unless suddenly you have millions of people from Rural areas and tribal areas getting INTERNET CONNECTION. That much of a new users would have create strain i imagine.

Yeah, because shouting and demanding things fixes things quicker. As has been stated above, there is a lot more traffic and that makes for some unpleasant instabilities. It is also possible that, since they are working from home, they may not have the correct tools to fix an issue like this. A lot of my guildmates have been experiencing lags and DCs, too, myself included; had a complete crash a few days ago. Hopefully, they'll come up with a solution or a workaround. Until then, the least we can do is be patient: they're going through the same hell we are.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

What... no. You and I said completely opposite things. You said it just because other people can connect doesn't mean its not server side and I said just because he can connect to other things it doesn't mean it's not his side. That's not the same at all.

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:Hmm... maybe repair the client? If other people are able to log in, as you say, then the issue isn't on the server end.

What... no. You and I said completely opposite things. You said it just because other people can connect doesn't mean its not server side and I said just because he can connect to other things it doesn't mean it's not his side. That's not the same at all.

"While it might be a client side (or backbone) issue, just because others can log in and play does not, in any way mean it's not server side."

@kharmin.7683 saidWith millions of players and only 1 complaining of this type of issue, I'm inclined to believe that the problem is not with the servers.

Not everybody that have some kind of issues will put up a post here, so just because you don't see that many post that complains about lag, disconnect or other issues that might or might not be related doesn't mean that there isn't ongoing issues.

Have had myself situation after last patch where my computer suddenly just froze (had to do a physical power down to be able to get back into computer and to be able to play, not have that happen ever before). There are several times where suddenly everything slows down (skills got delayed, NPC not reacting and suddenly everything speeds up and then back to normal). There is probably more going on then just a server issue, could be that patch by itself have something that triggers under certain conditions. Running a repair on client in that case wouldn't change anything as it is the code for patch that something might be messed up.

My ISP rarely have problems (but there is no warranty that they have a cable that somebody dig up by accident), in general it could be that nodes on net isn't responding in time and that issues from different nodes accumulate over time until it trigger client server problems as both need to be in sync.

@"Tharnaron.2967" Learn to trace down issues that isn't on your side and add necessary information before you start claim that it is on the server side.As for now we don't know anything about your system, you internet (provider) or connection type (LAN, cable, mobile etc).Look up how to do a "tracert" and do a trace route. You get your server connection IP with "/ip" in chat command. Put that into your tracert and look what nodes there is between you (your ISP) and the server that you communicate with on ANet.

@ShadowCatz.8437 said:

@kharmin.7683 saidWith millions of players and only 1 complaining of this type of issue, I'm inclined to believe that the problem is not with the servers.

Not everybody that have some kind of issues will put up a post here, so just because you don't see that many post that complains about lag, disconnect or other issues that might or might not be related doesn't mean that there isn't ongoing issues.Have you not been around the forums long? Any major outage generates multiple threads in multiple forums. These one-off issues would appear more likely to be on the client side; otherwise, yes, we would see a lot more complaints on the forums.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Not everybody that have some kind of issues will put up a post here, so just because you don't see that many post that complains about lag, disconnect or other issues that might or might not be related doesn't mean that there isn't ongoing issues.Have you not been around the forums long? Any major outage generates multiple threads in multiple forums. These one-off issues would appear more likely to be on the client side; otherwise, yes, we would see a lot more complaints on the forums.

What is the exact point of trying to downplay this situation? The fact is there have been multiple threads on sporadic connectivity issues affecting players over the past weeks and Anet has yet to acknowledge this.

I've literally crashed after 5 minutes of logging in, while in Tribulation, The error said Network error, but didn't let me read it, the client auto closed. This isn't just some standart client connection issue.

Relogged, and crashed again after 5 minutes of logging in. No connection drop or latency. The fact not everyone is affected (especially in Europe, as I'm playing from France, and have friends in germany who can play without issues) makes me think it's a node connection issue. Something between the client and the server is broken, overloaded or cut.

@Titanium.1930 said:It can't be his router/switch/ISP or whatever fault if he can access every other game, ISP website or whatever kitten. Either way, it's not just him having the issue. Unless you are trying to say worldwide there's a global connection issue.

Yes it can be. An ISP, contrary to what many people think, do not provide a connection from your home or device to the end server/host, rather most ISPs only own the residential cable connected to your house, they then have peering agreements with backbone infrastructure that provides interconnects, data/media cache etc etc, this is why when you do network logging on a trace route you will often see the domain change once it goes outside of the ISPs network. Depending on geographical location and ISP provider or reseller, how you are routed to a given end server can take vastly different routes, and some of those might have more load or other issues another one does not. This would also be out of the control of both your ISP (they don't own or control that hop), nor does anet or in this case more specifically Amazons AWS platform.

As such, it could very well be out of anets control. This is why testing is needed to determine the cause. Yes, they are having issues, and they have existed for a long time, the current situation with more people at home is just exacerbating it so more people are becoming cognizant of it. However, just because there is a common issue does not mean that every case with the same symptoms are due to the same cause.

@Titanium.1930 said:

@"Tharnaron.2967" said:It's not my client.. when I get in I can play until the connection is lost.. connection lost is their end... and ANET you have a CRITICAL INCIDENT ongoing that you are not managing... FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might not be ANet fault. Though it doesn't make sense to say that the internet traffic is way higher than normal. Everyone is connected to the same said internet everyday. Unless suddenly you have millions of people from Rural areas and tribal areas getting INTERNET CONNECTION. That much of a new users would have create strain i imagine.

That is not how networks work....At all.

Having a connection to the internet does nothing to the networks load. That is like saying because I have a second car in my garage, its adding to traffic congestion. The connection you pay for is also not "your" connection, it is shared, with the exception of very expensive dedicated business class lines. However, even in those cases, the data is sent over the same network, the allocation however is dedicated to that one user, if they are using the full bandwidth or not, this is why some network loads can be low, but available bandwidth can be zero. Residential connections do not have this allocation, it is also why residential connections state speeds as "up to", as you are sharing the same node and lines with many other people.

Also, right now many ISPs have removed bandwidth caps on connections, so people are further saturating those networks while staying home, resulting in far more issues and congestion than would have other wise been experienced had those remained in place.

@kharmin.7683 said:With millions of players and only 1 complaining of this type of issue, I'm inclined to believe that the problem is not with the servers.

GW2 does not have millions of players, active player count over a given time fell below that a long time ago, such much so that most data for active users is not shared anymore. Also, there are new posts every day if not more than one every day posting about this, which is a significant number, as most people who play the game are not forum users and many more will send in a ticket or bug report in game.

Also, depending on your average user as a turing test for a technical issue is not a wise choice.