Another ranger nerf thread

Bast.7253

Can we do something about the fact that ranger downstate may as well not exist?

The healing from the pet is way too high, not to mention the cc from the pet and the daze from the ranger.

Really downstate in general though, frankly. There are entirely too many quick res abilities and it seems to be an issue now because of the damage and cleave reduction. Thankfully not many necros run the res sigil, but when you have 3 people on a team running res utilities it gets a little ridiculous.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@GeneralFailure.3402 said:yep rangers can get up pretty fast, but aren't there other clases with insta rally like warrior? (genuinely asking bc I play only for a month so far) Also, It would be nice if we could rally ourselves by killing rangers pet when downed

we need less rally not more, warriors rally is temporary, they flop dead after, unless they kill something and get lucky on top. It also starts with cooldown so you can stomp/cleave them before they can use it, warriors downstate is not all that strong.Ranger on the other hand has CC, turbo rez speed and most run bunker amulets so they cant even be cleaved fast, in 1v1 you cant stomp before they rez alot of the times, and even if you try they get CC.Preventing dead pet from reviving ranger would be a good start, alsmo nerfing rez traits across the board would also be a good start.Fighting clown fiesta mid with both teams having 2x necro and guards and you end up downing people 4-5 times with no chance to stomp due to aoe fear spam and turbo revive speeds.Game turns into steamroll the other team or nothing happens, so its ALWAYS boring. You either roll your oponents ( boring ) or you cant do shit because revive spam.

Ok ok ok hold on, let me sum up the claims that we have so far from all of these threads within the past month:

1. Everything a Ranger Pet does deals anywhere between 6k and 12k damage. In rare events, autos only hit for 2k and 3k.
  2. Ranger Pets have raid boss like sustain values.
  3. Ranger Pets are impossible to kite and they are impossible to chase.
  4. Apparently Core Rangers have no CD for dead pet swapping.
  5. Apparently Core Ranger has mobility & disengage that is equal to a D/P Shadow Arts Daredevil.
  6. The Core Ranger Greatsword is by far the superior weapon kit in the game because it has a block skill.
  7. A dozen Core Ranger complaint threads have been made within the past month, but not a single thread has been written about Protection Holosmith, despite almost an entirely unanimous agreement from all players that Protection Holosmith is equal to or greater in strength than the Core Ranger in all categories. Weird eh? Something to think about in the way of biased expectations.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Ok ok ok hold on, let me sum up the claims that we have so far from all of these threads within the past month:

1. Everything a Ranger Pet does deals anywhere between 6k and 12k damage. In rare events, autos only hit for 2k and 3k.
  2. Ranger Pets have raid boss like sustain values.
  3. Ranger Pets are impossible to kite and they are impossible to chase.
  4. Apparently Core Rangers have no CD for dead pet swapping.
  5. Apparently Core Ranger has mobility & disengage that is equal to a D/P Shadow Arts Daredevil.
  6. The Core Ranger Greatsword is by far the superior weapon kit in the game because it has a block skill.
  7. A dozen Core Ranger complaint threads have been made within the past month, but not a single thread has been written about Protection Holosmith, despite almost an entirely unanimous agreement from all players that Protection Holosmith is equal to or greater in strength than the Core Ranger in all categories. Weird eh? Something to think about in the way of biased expectations.

Ur last point is true and the reason is people find rangers more annoying to fight than holo regardless whether its more OP or not so they want it nerfed to uselessness. Happens to all classes with annoying mechanics. Thief cuz stealth and tele, mirage cuz obvious reasons and ranger cuz pets and lb range.

Jeez can we stop with the crying about anything that have to do with rangers?Ohhh I get killed by ranger, how is that possible, oh look ranger can revive how is that allowed?

Core necro, symbolbrand, shiro herald, and holosmith, all those 4 I mentioned are better than ranger and they are the current power creepasof the meta right now but for some reason all I see is people crying about ranger that have very little play in top level.

There is a very few rangers at top level for a reason and all the people that cry about ranger are not that good and want it to get nerfed rather than improving their gamplay.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:Ok ok ok hold on, let me sum up the claims that we have so far from all of these threads within the past month:

1. Everything a Ranger Pet does deals anywhere between 6k and 12k damage. In rare events, autos only hit for 2k and 3k.Bird autos on light armor crit for ~3800 on autos! 34gBhgq.jpg! I'm on knight amulet 1x1'd lrod weeber, noticed this 7000 swoop from bird?This 2200+1800 slash'es its 1 auto with both crits :)
  2. Ranger Pets have raid boss like sustain values.Contrary to shadow something bird armor isnt 1600 (as he said lowest armor in the game than anyone using bers amulet) (spoiler: its about ~2600+, smokescale and gazelle ~3300+)
  3. Ranger Pets are impossible to kite and they are impossible to chase.Bird lunge at you from 300 range, opening strike or w/e its called applies cripple on ranger/pet attacks + superspeed/quickness access for both ranger and pet :)4. Apparently Core Rangers have no CD for dead pet swapping.5. Apparently Core Ranger has mobility & disengage that is equal to a D/P Shadow Arts Daredevil.
  4. The Core Ranger Greatsword is by far the superior weapon kit in the game because it has a block skill.It has it all - mobility(packed with leap and evade)/block(with evade->cc flip)/spammable maul/stun(or daze that refresh maul).
  5. A dozen Core Ranger complaint threads have been made within the past month, but not a single thread has been written about Protection Holosmith, despite almost an entirely unanimous agreement from all players that Protection Holosmith is equal to or greater in strength than the Core Ranger in all categories. Weird eh? Something to think about in the way of biased expectations.While prot holo being stronger than core ranger, it doesnt have AI eviscarating you with insane damage and ranger can do w/e.It doesnt mean ranger should be left alone because prot holo exist, both needs nerfs.

@Odik.4587 said:

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:Ok ok ok hold on, let me sum up the claims that we have so far from all of these threads within the past month:
  1. Everything a Ranger Pet does deals anywhere between 6k and 12k damage. In rare events, autos only hit for 2k and 3k.Bird autos on light armor crit for ~3800 on autos!
    34gBhgq.jpg
    ! I'm on knight amulet 1x1'd lrod weeber, noticed this 7000 swoop from bird?This 2200+1800 slash'es its 1 auto with both crits :)You stacked all possible modifiers on your owl. Now take a screenshot without any of them and compare. Also who runs berserker on a weaver?
  2. Ranger Pets have raid boss like sustain values.Contrary to shadow something bird armor isnt 1600 (as he said lowest armor in the game than anyone using bers amulet) (spoiler: its about ~2600+, smokescale and gazelle ~3300+)
    Just look at this table. Birds have 1524 and smokescales have 2211 toughness. Add 150 for beastmastery. The only thing that is nearly correct is the rock gazelle with 2898.
  3. Ranger Pets are impossible to kite and they are impossible to chase.Bird lunge at you from 300 range, opening strike or w/e its called applies cripple on ranger/pet attacks + superspeed/quickness access for both ranger and pet :)They can't hit a moving target properly even after all improvements and can't condi cleanse. Add chill/cripple or weakness and keep moving and it does almost nothing.
  4. The Core Ranger Greatsword is by far the superior weapon kit in the game because it has a block skill.It has it all - mobility(packed with leap and evade)/block(with evade->cc flip)/spammable maul/stun(or daze that refresh maul).Except damage. The only thing that does anything is a modifer stacked maul. Everything else hits like a wet noodle.
  5. A dozen Core Ranger complaint threads have been made within the past month, but not a single thread has been written about Protection Holosmith, despite almost an entirely unanimous agreement from all players that Protection Holosmith is equal to or greater in strength than the Core Ranger in all categories. Weird eh? Something to think about in the way of biased expectations.While prot holo being stronger than core ranger, it doesnt have AI eviscarating you with insane damage and ranger can do w/e.It doesnt mean ranger should be left alone because prot holo exist, both needs nerfs.

Ranger needs a marksmenship and damage modifier rework. Then look at the damage that is left and adjust accordingly.

@Miellyn.6847 said:

1. Everything a Ranger Pet does deals anywhere between 6k and 12k damage. In rare events, autos only hit for 2k and 3k.Bird autos on light armor crit for ~3800 on autos!
    34gBhgq.jpg
    ! I'm on knight amulet 1x1'd lrod weeber, noticed this 7000 swoop from bird?This 2200+1800 slash'es its 1 auto with both crits :)You stacked all possible modifiers on your owl. Now take a screenshot without any of them and compare. Also who runs berserker on a weaver?
    Just look at this table. Birds have 1524 and smokescales have 2211 toughness. Add 150 for beastmastery. The only thing that is nearly correct is the rock gazelle with 2898.
  3. Ranger Pets are impossible to kite and they are impossible to chase.Bird lunge at you from 300 range, opening strike or w/e its called applies cripple on ranger/pet attacks + superspeed/quickness access for both ranger and pet :)They can't hit a moving target properly even after all improvements and can't condi cleanse. Add chill/cripple or weakness and keep moving and it does almost nothing.
  4. The Core Ranger Greatsword is by far the superior weapon kit in the game because it has a block skill.It has it all - mobility(packed with leap and evade)/block(with evade->cc flip)/spammable maul/stun(or daze that refresh maul).Except damage. The only thing that does anything is a modifer stacked maul. Everything else hits like a wet noodle.

Ranger needs a marksmenship and damage modifier rework. Then look at the damage that is left and adjust accordingly.It was a during real duel and its not the only time my owl swoops that much. Maul is so spammable that by coincidence it swoops a lot while have 50% dmg from it (and opening strike apparently).Toughness =/= armor. I had various amulets and my pet still took less damage than me which is why I say ARMOR.My bird hits moving targets properly, the best birb; "just move" is just as dumb as "just dodge"."Except the damage" and tell that maul does damage... smh

@"Odik.4587" said:It was a during real duel and its not the only time my owl swoops that much. Maul is so spammable that by coincidence it swoops a lot while have 50% dmg from it (and opening strike apparently).Toughness =/= armor. I had various amulets and my pet still took less damage than me which is why I say ARMOR.My bird hits moving targets properly, the best birb; "just move" is just as dumb as "just dodge"."Except the damage" and tell that maul does damage... smhIt seems you are suggesting it's a fault of the modifiers and not the pets itself, which is exactly what all the ranger community is being saying for the last months. If i would be anet i would take down the modifiers from Maul and Sicem to 25% to make them identical to Soulbeast modifiers. And that's a 45% damage less. then those random swoops will have a damage of 3K every 8s, which is a fine number.

Sicem can provide might stacks to compensate, which doesn't scale the same way.

No modifier in game should be over 25% extra damage in PvP modes, that goes for ranger and goes for all the classes.For example:

• Shadow Flare (thief) +50% damage
  • Break Enchantments(warrior) +100% damage

But what do you think Anet will do?

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"Odik.4587" said:It was a during real duel and its not the only time my owl swoops that much. Maul is so spammable that by coincidence it swoops a lot while have 50% dmg from it (and opening strike apparently).Toughness =/= armor. I had various amulets and my pet still took less damage than me which is why I say ARMOR.My bird hits moving targets properly, the best birb; "just move" is just as dumb as "just dodge"."Except the damage" and tell that maul does damage... smhIt seems you are suggesting it's a fault of the modifiers and not the pets itselfEven if you drop MS its still would do tons of damage on anything it does (ty BM with stat boost,especially ferocity) with a poor telegraph (talking about birds). (need a meme picture replacing all bird skills with mauls)If they nerf only MS it would be birds instead of the tiger.But what do you think Anet will do?When they dont know what to do they chop it with 50% nerfs and if its not enough they do another 50%.(guess, how did I know that)

@Odik.4587 said:

@Odik.4587 said:It was a during real duel and its not the only time my owl swoops that much. Maul is so spammable that by coincidence it swoops a lot while have 50% dmg from it (and opening strike apparently).Toughness =/= armor. I had various amulets and my pet still took less damage than me which is why I say ARMOR.My bird hits moving targets properly, the best birb; "just move" is just as dumb as "just dodge"."Except the damage" and tell that maul does damage... smhIt seems you are suggesting it's a fault of the modifiers and not the pets itselfEven if you drop MS its still would do tons of damage on anything it does (ty BM with stat boost,especially ferocity) with a poor telegraph (talking about birds). (need a meme picture replacing all bird skills with mauls)If they nerf only MS it would be birds instead of the tiger.But what do you think Anet will do?When they dont know what to do they chop it with 50% nerfs and if its not enough they do another 50%.(guess, how did I know that)

So nerf the modifiers, nerf Ferocity from BM to 150 or 200 and it would be fine.Nerf the base damage and ranger gets forced even more into those gimmicky burst builds and every build is a variation of MM+WS+BM/SB. Or just vanishes completly from PvP.

@Miellyn.6847 said:

@Odik.4587 said:It was a during real duel and its not the only time my owl swoops that much. Maul is so spammable that by coincidence it swoops a lot while have 50% dmg from it (and opening strike apparently).Toughness =/= armor. I had various amulets and my pet still took less damage than me which is why I say ARMOR.My bird hits moving targets properly, the best birb; "just move" is just as dumb as "just dodge"."Except the damage" and tell that maul does damage... smhIt seems you are suggesting it's a fault of the modifiers and not the pets itselfEven if you drop MS its still would do tons of damage on anything it does (ty BM with stat boost,especially ferocity) with a poor telegraph (talking about birds). (need a meme picture replacing all bird skills with mauls)If they nerf only MS it would be birds instead of the tiger.But what do you think Anet will do?When they dont know what to do they chop it with 50% nerfs and if its not enough they do another 50%.(guess, how did I know that)

So nerf the modifiers, nerf Ferocity from BM to 150 or 200 and it would be fine.Nerf the base damage and ranger gets forced even more into those gimmicky burst builds and every build is a variation of MM+WS+BM/SB. Or just vanishes completly from PvP.

im sure nerfing pet dmg by 2% would do it, do you people even think before you post?

@Leonidrex.5649 said:im sure nerfing pet dmg by 2% would do it, do you people even think before you post?they are just sharing solutions they think they may work. Most of ppl whining because of the pets they don't understand or even have played with the ranger at all before claiming it's op.

@Odik.4587 said:Even if you drop MS its still would do tons of damage on anything it does (ty BM with stat boost,especially ferocity) with a poor telegraph (talking about birds). (need a meme picture replacing all bird skills with mauls)I already told you the source of that damage are two ranger skills which apply specific buffs to the pets, go to the wiki and check them out.

In this case no nerf to pet base damage will fix anything and base damage is fine. Nerfing MS traitline will nerf also weapons and skills from the player, which are balanced leaning to the overnerfed side right now. The buffs from BM traitline (stats and speed) should be made baseline to all the pets instead remove them for reasons no related to this thread.

You are clearly complaining because a maul + sicem + random attack from the pet did what you think is too much damage once every 8 seconds. So the fix is to nerf those two skills: Maul and Sic'em buff to do only a 25% increase each to the pet damage. This is good also as it's streamlines the skills with no difference between beastmode and normal mode. It is a 50% damage nerf on the damage you see now.

Check how that works and if there is still some clear outlier then balance that on specific pet case basis. After that nerf don't be surprised if some buffs to pet stats are needed.

Keep in mind it doesn't matter how much you whine pets are here to stay and you will have to learn to deal with it. Even before the balance when pets did no damage compared to player attacks, some were still whining because of the mechanic .

@Odik.4587 said:

34gBhgq.jpg

Ranger needs a marksmenship and damage modifier rework. Then look at the damage that is left and adjust accordingly.Toughness =/= armor. I had various amulets and my pet still took less damage than me which is why I say ARMOR.

That's bologna. You can seriously heal through a full Trap DH spam on a Knight's Core Ranger with Troll Unguent and Protect Me.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@Odik.4587 said:It was a during real duel and its not the only time my owl swoops that much. Maul is so spammable that by coincidence it swoops a lot while have 50% dmg from it (and opening strike apparently).Toughness =/= armor. I had various amulets and my pet still took less damage than me which is why I say ARMOR.My bird hits moving targets properly, the best birb; "just move" is just as dumb as "just dodge"."Except the damage" and tell that maul does damage... smhIt seems you are suggesting it's a fault of the modifiers and not the pets itself, which is exactly what all the ranger community is being saying for the last months. If i would be anet i would take down the modifiers from Maul and Sicem to 25% to make them identical to Soulbeast modifiers. And that's a 45% damage less. then those random swoops will have a damage of 3K every 8s, which is a fine number.

Sicem can provide might stacks to compensate, which doesn't scale the same way.

No modifier in game should be over 25% extra damage in PvP modes, that goes for ranger and goes for all the classes.For example:
  • Shadow Flare (thief) +50% damage
  • Break Enchantments(warrior) +100% damage

But what do you think Anet will do?

This is exactly what they need to do, and I've said this now in several threads:

1. Turn Marksmanship mods DOWN to: MOC 50% to 25% - AOO 50% to 25% - Remorseless can stay 25%. Sic Em is already 25% when applied to Soulbeast and should probably go down to 25% for the pet as well, although people aren't even running Sic Em on Core Ranger so you know. They are running Quick Z, Protect Me, Light R. All of that damage is coming from Marksmanship mods. Nerfing the Marks mods will remove the big pet burst damage, normalizing pet strikes again. Most people truly are not aware of this, but seriously most that rando damage from pets is coming Marks mods activating not only coordinated bursting but also at random times during the 1v1. Do people seriously think that birds deal 4k autos on every strike? If that were true, it would be impossible for anyone to ever beat my Druid in a 1v1.
  2. Turn the damn coefficients back up on Maul and Worldly Impact. Leave the pet coefficients alone. The Beastmastery stat nerfs were enough of a damage nerf on Soulbeast, it didn't need double nerfing on Greatsword. Rangers received the normal universal -33% to every weapon just like everyone else, but in addition to that, they chopped like another -33% off Maul and Worldly Impact. Now Soulbeast can't brawl for shit. Also keep in mind that nerfing Pet coefficients is not the answer. Druid as example already has -20% pet attributes and cannot run Marksmanship as a trait line or the Druid can't function. Nerfing Pet coeffecients will completely delete Druid pet kit.
  3. Leave Wilderness Survival alone. It has worked fine for years and was never an issue until this massive intra-class damage nerf. The problem is not Ranger tied sustain effects. The problem is that everyone began stacking stuff like Demo/Paladin/Knight on Resistance & Dolyak because TOUGHNESS is OP right now, not Ranger tied sustain. Examples to prove my point is how Core Necromancer uses Carapace TOUGHNESS stacking to also be a sustain god. In addition to this, all expertise and such was essentially removed from spvp, but things like Resistance Rune with -25% to condi duration remained intact, as well as traits that do similar whole number reductions. I repeat again, the sustain on Wilderness Survival is not the issue. The issue is that Arenanet straight deleted all the damage modifiers out of the game, but left all the defensive modiers intact. At this point, it may be wise for Arenanet to normalize things like the -25% condition duration on Resistance Rune.

That Resistance Rune is like 50% of the reason why Mirage sucks right now.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"Odik.4587" said:Small reminder: phantasms were busted and now they are meh but still here, you think that cant happen to busted pets? How naive :)Well we will see. But i can promise you this, peeps will be still whining i the forums because of pets.PS:
Phantasms are still annoying and busted
. But we learned to deal with it."We learned how to deal with it throught crying on the forum and beg to nerf them by 50% and then nerf CP by 50%". So according to you, everyone are in the process of "learning" :joy:Damn, good memes, I underestimated you@Trevor Boyer.6524That Resistance Rune is like 50% of the reason why Mirage sucks right now.I thought its because it has only 1 dodge, apparently you know better :joy:

@Odik.4587 said:

@Odik.4587 said:Small reminder: phantasms were busted and now they are meh but still here, you think that cant happen to busted pets? How naive :)Well we will see. But i can promise you this, peeps will be still whining i the forums because of pets.PS:
. But we learned to deal with it."We learned how to deal with it throught crying on the forum and beg to nerf them by 50% and then nerf CP by 50%". So according to you, everyone are in the process of "learning" :joy:kitten, good memes, I underestimated you@Trevor Boyer.6524That Resistance Rune is like 50% of the reason why Mirage sucks right now.I thought its because it has only 1 dodge, apparently you know better :joy:

The 1 dodge is other 50% of the problem.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@Odik.4587 said:Small reminder: phantasms were busted and now they are meh but still here, you think that cant happen to busted pets? How naive :)Well we will see. But i can promise you this, peeps will be still whining i the forums because of pets.PS:
. But we learned to deal with it."We learned how to deal with it throught crying on the forum and beg to nerf them by 50% and then nerf CP by 50%". So according to you, everyone are in the process of "learning" :joy:kitten, good memes, I underestimated you@Trevor Boyer.6524That Resistance Rune is like 50% of the reason why Mirage sucks right now.I thought its because it has only 1 dodge, apparently you know better :joy:

The 1 dodge is other 50% of the problem.Damn, I should have hinted that current the only mirage build has a boonrip cuz domination so it not an issue ... and did you imply that power mirage doesnt exist at all?

In most of MMORPGs I play, archer classes (with or without pets) have

• average mobility (can outrun slow specs)
  • average/goodish sustain
  • no damage mods except crit from stats (like from your armor etc) + increased crit chance (fury in GW2)
  • if they have pet, they also have skills to make pet hit easier (but the pet doesn't do that much damage)
  • all that combined, it has ok burst damage and ok sustained damage
  • a subbuild/subtheme with DoT (especially poison and bleeding)

Basically they are "give me everything, but in medium/small amounts".

Currently, GW2 ranger has most of these but it has too much damage on pet with its modifiers.I suggest nerfing modifiers and adding another utility skill (for rangers that rely on pet for damage, like sic em and superspeed/quickness thing) so pets hit a lot more frequently (triggering on-hit traits like poison) while having less modifier stacked burst damage on one skill.

@Odik.4587 said:

The 1 dodge is other 50% of the problem.kitten, I should have hinted that current the only mirage build has a boonrip cuz domination so it not an issue ... and did you imply that power mirage doesnt exist at all?

Dude Power Mirage is simply not applicable. That build is so ridiculous weak right now that bell curve players on a Core Ranger would beat most high tier players on the Mirage.

And what do you not understand about -25% to all condi duration in a meta where expertise no longer exists? That is also in addition to traits that were not scaled back that also provide straight -% duration to conditions. The condis that Mirage pumps out are not strong enough to survive damage mitigation like that. Burn Guard gets away with it only because it's spamming burn. The 6th ability Resistance Boon is helpful but that's hardly the meat of what Rune of Resistance is granting in terms of condition damage mitigation.