What is wrong with matchmaking?? Should team comp be accounted for?

Liberis.9573

Here's what I've learned from GW2 PvP. Arena Net cannot fix their matchmaking system. Of everything wrong with guild wars 2 pvp, it's at the very top of the list of things that are absolutely broken. To make up for this imbalance of matchmaking and MMR, ANet consistently pushes out balance patches breaking one build or another in an attempt to find the right balance to make up for just how bad matchmaking is. Since they're unable to find a fix for matchmaking, the problem becomes more and more evident after every balance patch as games increasingly become blowouts. I average 400-500 games a season and this is the first season in a very long time that I won't even hit 200 games because of the state that PvP is in. A few seasons ago, games were a lot closer and it seemed that everybody was on the same level. Due to the power imbalances between each profession currently, it's like we're playing a beta of GW2 all over again.

To make my point short, MMR and matchmaking are incredibly broken in the worst way possible due to ANet attempting to put a bandaid on the problem by mixing up builds with balance patches.

@Koen.1327 said:foefire is the most snowbally map but also comp is important ofchave 2-3 dmg and 2-3 node sustain, check your teams before match starts and see what it misseslow rated matches are kinda chaotic too

Not everybody plays 3-5 classes. Some of us just specialize in one class. Some classes like engineer have a lot of versatility. Others like Thief have 0 versatility. I think it's unfair to ask people to switch professions mid game when they didn't ask for that specific comp. Instead the matchmaking system should put people into better games.

@darren.1064 said:Not everybody plays 3-5 classes. Some of us just specialize in one class. Some classes like engineer have a lot of versatility. Others like Thief have 0 versatility. I think it's unfair to ask people to switch professions mid game when they didn't ask for that specific comp. Instead the matchmaking system should put people into better games.

Specializing in one class is bad though (I play one class 90% of the time).

What did the enemy team play (classes/professions) in the screen in the first post?Yean I think match maker should take team composition into account. Afaik it does already in the way that it tries to prevent more than 2 of one class on the same team.

The problem is: There could be 2 of one class, 2 of another class (both playing the same elite spec) and the 5th guy playing a 3rd class. And then it still can be unbalanced. The game doesn't know which compositions are strong or weak against each other. (Devs would have to feed this info manually and it would get harder and more complicated.)

Also problem if people can swap to a different elite or to a totally different class (char) before the match starts.

Yesterday I had 2 thieves on my team and the enemy team had 2 necros, 2 warriors and 1 thief and it hurt to have the 2 thieves when they basically are useless against those bunker-ish necros and warriors.

Maybe a health pool and armor class balancing? I don't know. (If 2 heavy + 2 with huge health pool then ... like the 2 warrior + 2 necro - which were both duo queued btw my team only had 1 duoe queue pair in the example I explained - try to give the other team something similar. Does not need to be the same classes. Well ... with warrior also having huge health pool I guess there would not have been to many options.)

@Tayga.3192 said:

@"darren.1064" said:Not everybody plays 3-5 classes. Some of us just specialize in one class. Some classes like engineer have a lot of versatility. Others like Thief have 0 versatility. I think it's unfair to ask people to switch professions mid game when they didn't ask for that specific comp. Instead the matchmaking system should put people into better games.

Specializing in one class is bad though (I play one class 90% of the time).

Specializing in one class should never be considered a bad thing. While it's better for one person to focus on more than one profession, how are you going to look down on somebody for playing just a singular profession? I main thief. I'm better than 99% of other thieves. If I get a comp where it's 5 different professions on the other team that are extremely balanced, and on my team I have to play with another thief. Do you know what i'm gonna be mad at? I'm going to be angry that matchmaking gave me my millionth double thief game instead of taking it out on my teammate that also only knows thief because neither of us asked for that comp. Neither of us sat down, pressed rank and said "Okay, now give me a double thief team so we can lose together." No, I do my thing and they'll do their thing and we're going to lose and it would definitely be better if one of us played a different profession to balance everything out. But who are you going to blame? The victim or the crime?

@darren.1064 said:Do you know what i'm gonna be mad at? I'm going to be angry that matchmaking gave me my millionth double thief game instead of taking it out on my teammate that also only knows thief because neither of us asked for that comp.

Isn't this because the population is low and thief is popular? I never really que into double mesmer games.

@darren.1064 said:

@Koen.1327 said:foefire is the most snowbally map but also comp is important ofchave 2-3 dmg and 2-3 node sustain, check your teams before match starts and see what it misseslow rated matches are kinda chaotic too

Not everybody plays 3-5 classes. Some of us just specialize in one class. Some classes like engineer have a lot of versatility. Others like Thief have 0 versatility. I think it's unfair to ask people to switch professions mid game when they didn't ask for that specific comp. Instead the matchmaking system should put people into better games.

its a part of improving to play multiple classeswouldnt say its a must but some games can be won much easier by switchingthief might have lower versatility but its the best carry class

matchmaking in around gold rating is the most accurate since more people play there

@Koen.1327 said:

its a part of improving to play multiple classeswouldnt say its a must but some games can be won much easier by switchingthief might have lower versatility but its the best carry class

matchmaking in around gold rating is the most accurate since more people play there

I can guarantee you that absolutely no thief main could feasibly believe that thief is currently the best carry class.

@darren.1064 said:

I can guarantee you that absolutely no thief main could feasibly believe that thief is currently the best carry class.

it changes slightly every patch but overall thief can steer the map like no other - every season the leaderboard is full of thieves btw regardless of its position in the metait's more a strategy game than it is pure mechanically, also the reason why some can't improve from gold (which is entry lvl pvp)

@Koen.1327 said:

it changes slightly every patch but overall thief can steer the map like no other - every season the leaderboard is full of thieves btw regardless of its position in the metait's more a strategy game than it is pure mechanically, also the reason why some can't improve from gold (which is entry lvl pvp)

I'm a thief mostly stuck in gold this season. it's not steering a single thing if we cant win fights or do damage. Yes we can decap, but what's the point of decapping if you can't do a single other thing?

@darren.1064 said:

I'm a thief mostly stuck in gold this season. it's not steering a single thing if we cant win fights or do damage. Yes we can decap, but what's the point of decapping if you can't do a single other thing?

well i missed your other topic before knowing that you have 10k games in thieves i can't give you tips on that - i havent seen anyone as unlucky as you are would mmr be truly rngbut to stay on topic the matchmaking does take account for comp, so you can expect a thief in enemy team as well

Matchmaking is the major problem in most online games with pvp, and unfortunately GW2 isn't an exception.My first hours in pvp during past weeks were great, until I reached silver 2, silver 3 rank.It seems like all the matches at higher ranks are 500-150, 500-100, either your team totally destroy the enemies and rush all over the map to capture, either you're unlucky and it's the other way around and you're unable to do anything about it.

Also, I've had a complete game freeze yesterday just a few minutes after the match started, and it froze my entire computer and forced me to reboot.When I came back, the match was almost over.

Last week I climbed into plat and was in plat 2 games than come week later I'm now silver 3 lmao. In this game most matches even when I was gold 3 were filled with teammates that never go for any of the map bonuses, ull watch ur teamates run over a enemy capped node without even decapping it first, they chase players to get revenge instead of trying to rotate smart. It gets frustrating capping home to either head mid but ur team always loses mid fight before or just after u get there leaving u to either back off or take on the 1v4 lol or just in general usually being the last one left in team fights to face most the team urself. The ol one go home and other goes far, like wtf go far unless u kno ur really good dueler? Most times their not and they die and lose far while their teams in a 3v4 mid and usually gets deleted. I'm fine with players learning but if ur not even gonna try and make good rotations or ever go for the map bonuses go to unranked. Use unranked to get familiar with the game mode first. Seems like because the games population is so low much making is such a epic fail that u can be high gold trying for plat and most ur team seem like they started pvping an less than a hr before.

It does take team comps into account already. It can't be super accurate like down to the builds, but the matchmaker does make an attempt to mirror comps.

If there's someone or multiple people in particular ruining the fun, one thing you can do to queue-dodge is switch to a different profession than them because that makes it more likely for them to be on your team or not in your game at all. Queue as the different profession, and then class-swap back to the one you actually want to play with once you're in the setup phase of a match.

It's a feature so i'm pretty sure it's allowed.

Sometimes match making can be odd, one of the reasons are smurf accounts. People not wanting to lose rating on their main so they play on alt on lower ranks (either cus they still climb or because they don't take it too seriously on alt and therefore are lower rated) I got a few 0 / 10 - 500 in a row in ranked. First on my side, then on the other. Total stomps are pretty common this season, at least for me. Unranked is way more fun atm, got soo many close games, with overtime, where any mistake counts.

As someone already stated, the match making system in GW2 IS broken beyond fixing. Anet knows that, everybody knows that. You cannot base a competitive, role based game mode on rng and expect a different result. Anet should really reconsider the penalty that incurs when their broken system places a player in such a kitten match.

Honestly the only thing I can think of that would help players placements being more closely tied to the players skill is award bonus points for most kills, full caps- little less for decaps, player revives, top healing etc that way u at least get rewarded if the match was a loss but u played well. As it stands a solo que players ratings is more dependent on ur teammates performance than ur own.

This is what I mean with people know the game too well . Even if you change meta the few pros will find the best builds in super short time. Also there is deep misunderstanding what the problem is because of the difference in personal skill. Its not dmg in general it is the burst of [fill in] e.g warrior hammer has an absurd amount of cc in consequence it is cc burst which brings you in a cc lock if you don't have a lot of stabi or a few stunbreaks . Mirage has a condi burst.

The other problem is team composition Mirage condi burst you can possible clean but when you have 3-4 condi classes on the other team there will be never enough condi clean in this game to deal with this. Same goes when you have a cc + boon stealing/corrupting team combo. The only way to deal with this is swapping a few skills in natur and/ or giving them a longer cast time but not how it is at the moment or what they did.

To be clear low overall dmg means turtles all the way down

Where it all comes together is in pvp tournament because of from what I know only 6-12 pvp gilds/teams are active in those properly even less after all those changes. From what I heard from people who tried it is they got kicked out in the very first round (even with minimum platin)