Next step for Strikes: raid bosses? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Fractals/Dungeons/Strike Missions/Raids

Next step for Strikes: raid bosses?

Wouldn’t it be good for people wanting to get into raids to experience the raid bosses in a strike mode? Then anyone can play up against a raid boss without the complete version of the raid. They can get good at certain bosses, and then they can take on a raid when they are comfortable. You can get strike kills experience or something like that so people know you’ve killed raid bosses a certain number of times. I would totally be into this for someone who has experienced strikes and not raids yet.

Comments

  • LadyKitty.6120LadyKitty.6120 Member ✭✭✭

    Or maybe people could try doing some raid bosses after getting used to strikes. Boneskinner is easily more difficult than most raid bosses (bit harder than SH and Largos, in Kitty's opinion) and if you're good enough to consistently survive through Whisper of Jormag, you're ready for easier raid bosses. Even more so if running somewhat raid-worthy build (harrier's healer, viper's condi or zerker's power) so you don't hit like a wet noodle. Getting arcdps is kinda useful to get an idea of current performance level compared to raiders in strikes. (decent raider maintains at least 10k dps or higher)
    It's kinda pointless to have them copy-pasta raid bosses when they already make bosses below, around same or higher difficulty than raid bosses in strikes.

    It's Kitty. The young lady who streams and records videos playing various (non-)metabuilds. Raid/fractal videos at youtube.com/LadyKitty, Kittymarks test results at youtube.com/Kittymarks and tinyurl.com/Kittymarks.

  • sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2020

    @Dark Red Killian.3946 said:
    Wouldn’t it be good for people wanting to get into raids to experience the raid bosses in a strike mode? Then anyone can play up against a raid boss without the complete version of the raid. They can get good at certain bosses, and then they can take on a raid when they are comfortable. You can get strike kills experience or something like that so people know you’ve killed raid bosses a certain number of times. I would totally be into this for someone who has experienced strikes and not raids yet.

    What is a strike mode? If the only difference is that in "strike mode" you can directly just jump in against boss X and kill it and then leave, that is already a thing in raids.you dont need to clear the whole raid wing at once.

    Raids are split in 7 different raid wings and each wing has 3 or 4 bosses in it. With an opener you can join in any wing or any boss when ever you want, without killing anything else before that. Raids also save your progress during the week, so if you for example kill first boss of wing 1 during the monday, you can jump in and fight against the second boss of that wing any time you want during the same week.
    With an opener it gets even more easier. You want to fight against the last boss of w4 butnyou haven't killed anything else yet? Well good thing is that you can do that.

    I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dark Red Killian.3946 said:
    Wouldn’t it be good for people wanting to get into raids to experience the raid bosses in a strike mode?

    Nah. People that want to get into raids can just simply start doing raids directly. After all, there isn't anything in strikes that would help them on their way towards raids, so if they're not interested in strikes themselves, why even bother?
    And, of course, the other side of the picture is that people that are doing strikes but do not want to get into raids would definitely not want more raids in their strikes. For a lot of people there's way too much of it present already.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • Firebeard.1746Firebeard.1746 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2020

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Dark Red Killian.3946 said:
    Wouldn’t it be good for people wanting to get into raids to experience the raid bosses in a strike mode?

    Nah. People that want to get into raids can just simply start doing raids directly. After all, there isn't anything in strikes that would help them on their way towards raids, so if they're not interested in strikes themselves, why even bother?
    And, of course, the other side of the picture is that people that are doing strikes but do not want to get into raids would definitely not want more raids in their strikes. For a lot of people there's way too much of it present already.

    I think strikes are actually a great middle ground and if you do them enough, you'll easily have an ascended level gear character as well (trade ice shards for lws4 currencies for trinkets, colored shards for gear). 2 strikes, Jormag and boneskinner are raid-like already and i don't want to see anything boneskinner level again. It's just too twitchy.

    Right now, as it stands, strikes are the best intro content for gearing: fractals are a bit chicken and egg as far as ascended gear for infusion slots go. Raids are just too punishing to start out with & require too much specialized gear for a new player without professions to craft gear. Also, so many of the strikes are easy that if you don't have great gear, you could still get away with easier ones until you built a set. Though doing forge and steel daily might be required to earn in a reasonable time.

    My biggest concern about strikes though is how tied they are to ice brood saga masteries. So many of the bosses have a point where the special skill is needed i'm a bit concerned it won't age well if new players are reticent to buy season 5.

  • Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭

    IMO Strikes can be the first step to doing raids but it is missing several steps to get to the level of coordination & knowledge required for completing most raid bosses.

                                                              There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you
    
  • mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dark Red Killian.3946 said:
    Wouldn’t it be good for people wanting to get into raids to experience the raid bosses in a strike mode? Then anyone can play up against a raid boss without the complete version of the raid. They can get good at certain bosses, and then they can take on a raid when they are comfortable. You can get strike kills experience or something like that so people know you’ve killed raid bosses a certain number of times. I would totally be into this for someone who has experienced strikes and not raids yet.

    Asking for this means you are missing the point of Strikes.

    @LadyKitty.6120 said:
    Or maybe people could try doing some raid bosses after getting used to strikes. Boneskinner is easily more difficult than most raid bosses (bit harder than SH and Largos, in Kitty's opinion) and if you're good enough to consistently survive through Whisper of Jormag, you're ready for easier raid bosses.

    This is the correct advice.

  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I'd rather have Arenanet introduce difficulty options for raids, rather than starting to rip raids apart.

  • LadyKitty.6120LadyKitty.6120 Member ✭✭✭

    @Firebeard.1746 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Dark Red Killian.3946 said:
    Wouldn’t it be good for people wanting to get into raids to experience the raid bosses in a strike mode?

    Nah. People that want to get into raids can just simply start doing raids directly. After all, there isn't anything in strikes that would help them on their way towards raids, so if they're not interested in strikes themselves, why even bother?
    And, of course, the other side of the picture is that people that are doing strikes but do not want to get into raids would definitely not want more raids in their strikes. For a lot of people there's way too much of it present already.

    Raids are just too punishing to start out with & require too much specialized gear for a new player without professions to craft gear.

    Tiny correction here: if you have HoT+PoF, you don't need to learn crafts to get geared for raids. Berserker's ascended trinkets are obtainable with Laurels+ectos. Harrier's Trinkets from Desolation+Vabbi+Bjora. Viper's trinkets are more finicky, mostly Bjora and LWS3+4 maps but learning jewelcracting doesn't cost much anyway.
    For armors, you can farm Verdant Brink for Bladed armors with selectable stats. For berserker's, you can either use karma for temple armors in Cathedral of Silence in Orr or buy Zhed's/Nika's/Devona's set from TP. Harrier/Zerker's weapons you can buy from TP, for condi you can use power+vitality+condidamage stats 'til you get a viper's weapon. Most condi classes get a weapon from starting learning elite spec.

    It's Kitty. The young lady who streams and records videos playing various (non-)metabuilds. Raid/fractal videos at youtube.com/LadyKitty, Kittymarks test results at youtube.com/Kittymarks and tinyurl.com/Kittymarks.

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020

    @Fueki.4753 said:
    I'd rather have Arenanet introduce difficulty options for raids, rather than starting to rip raids apart.

    Not going to happen. Yet everyone who feels this way can obviously wait and hope for another 4 years, of it not happening.

    Meanwhile, others have started raiding and either stuck with the content or not. The very least what strikes should have made everyone realize: there won't be difficulty sliders in this game for one and the same boss, especially not for past content. I'm really not sure how much clearer the developers can be on this topic.

  • mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Cyninja.2954 said:

    @Fueki.4753 said:
    I'd rather have Arenanet introduce difficulty options for raids, rather than starting to rip raids apart.

    Not going to happen. Yet everyone who feels this way can obviously wait and hope for another 4 years, of it not happening.

    Meanwhile, others have started raiding and either stuck with the content or not. The very least what strikes should have made everyone realize: there won't be difficulty sliders in this game for one and the same boss, especially not for past content. I'm really not sure how much clearer the developers can be on this topic.

    Challenge Motes are a thing.

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @Cyninja.2954 said:

    @Fueki.4753 said:
    I'd rather have Arenanet introduce difficulty options for raids, rather than starting to rip raids apart.

    Not going to happen. Yet everyone who feels this way can obviously wait and hope for another 4 years, of it not happening.

    Meanwhile, others have started raiding and either stuck with the content or not. The very least what strikes should have made everyone realize: there won't be difficulty sliders in this game for one and the same boss, especially not for past content. I'm really not sure how much clearer the developers can be on this topic.

    Challenge Motes are a thing.

    None of which where ever added retroactively, nor after a similar but different system was added (aka strikes).

  • mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Cyninja.2954 said:

    @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @Cyninja.2954 said:

    @Fueki.4753 said:
    I'd rather have Arenanet introduce difficulty options for raids, rather than starting to rip raids apart.

    Not going to happen. Yet everyone who feels this way can obviously wait and hope for another 4 years, of it not happening.

    Meanwhile, others have started raiding and either stuck with the content or not. The very least what strikes should have made everyone realize: there won't be difficulty sliders in this game for one and the same boss, especially not for past content. I'm really not sure how much clearer the developers can be on this topic.

    Challenge Motes are a thing.

    None of which where ever added retroactively, nor after a similar but different system was added (aka strikes).

    There is a challenge mote in Forging Steel

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020

    @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @Cyninja.2954 said:

    @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @Cyninja.2954 said:

    @Fueki.4753 said:
    I'd rather have Arenanet introduce difficulty options for raids, rather than starting to rip raids apart.

    Not going to happen. Yet everyone who feels this way can obviously wait and hope for another 4 years, of it not happening.

    Meanwhile, others have started raiding and either stuck with the content or not. The very least what strikes should have made everyone realize: there won't be difficulty sliders in this game for one and the same boss, especially not for past content. I'm really not sure how much clearer the developers can be on this topic.

    Challenge Motes are a thing.

    None of which where ever added retroactively, nor after a similar but different system was added (aka strikes).

    There is a challenge mote in Forging Steel

    Retroactively...

    Or was the CM to Forging Steel added later? No? Didn't think so.

  • Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭

    I currently have a static raid team. Only thing that I wished for while I was learning different raid bosses was the ability to practice different phases at will. I know something like that will never be implemented but it would have been very helpful when your group is getting cleared during the later phases of a boss. I also thought when practicing a phase you would not receive any loot. One could argue that the repetition is good but often times frustration mounts quick and with frustration leads to carelessness and the end result of that is everyone dead. Especially when its just one or two people having trouble with a specific mechanic. If you could show them quickly and have them perform the task it would be very helpful in my opinion. Watching videos only brings you so far.

    That was a whole lot of writing for something we will never see.

                                                              There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you
    
  • Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Cyninja.2954 said:

    @Fueki.4753 said:
    I'd rather have Arenanet introduce difficulty options for raids, rather than starting to rip raids apart.

    Not going to happen. Yet everyone who feels this way can obviously wait and hope for another 4 years, of it not happening.

    Meanwhile, others have started raiding and either stuck with the content or not. The very least what strikes should have made everyone realize: there won't be difficulty sliders in this game for one and the same boss, especially not for past content. I'm really not sure how much clearer the developers can be on this topic.

    I'm fully aware of Arenanet refusing to do the most reasonable option to revitalize content.
    That I'd like to see something doesn't mean I have any hopes for it.