Ranger Bird Update - Request

Debaros.1635

As some of you may know the topic of Core Ranger is a hot debate at the moment, so I want to preface by saying I don't play ranger much and won't be making a comment on balancing it. That isn't my area of expertise.

Instead, I wanted to make a request for a simple but I think effective quality of life change.

Please ANET allow us to duo Q with the Bird Pet independently.

Firstly, I think it's a bit unfair that a Platinum 3 or even Legend rated Bird pet is being hampered by Gold tier Ranger players thus skewing their Winrates dramatically.

Secondly, I would like to be able to party up with these Bird Pets as they tend to be the best teammates. They +1 better than most Revenants I run into, they spike at better times than most Thieves, and their kiting skill is ungodly. Plus, most crucially, Bird pets are always calm and collected. I have never seen anyone flamed by a Bird Pet, where as their toxic Ranger 'owners' are another story entirely.

So ANET, please let us duo Q with bird pets and ditch the Ranger, as I imagine even the Rangers would be happy at this point. I would hate to be overshadowed by what was meant to be my pet, but is now my keeper.

@"PistolWhip.2697" said:As some of you may know the topic of Core Ranger is a hot debate at the moment, so I want to preface by saying I don't play ranger much and won't be making a comment on balancing it. That isn't my area of expertise.

Instead, I wanted to make a request for a simple but I think effective quality of life change.

Please ANET allow us to duo Q with the Bird Pet independently.

Firstly, I think it's a bit unfair that a Platinum 3 or even Legend rated Bird pet is being hampered by Gold tier Ranger players thus skewing their Winrates dramatically.

Secondly, I would like to be able to party up with these Bird Pets as they tend to be the best teammates. They +1 better than most Revenants I run into, they spike at better times than most Thieves, and their kiting skill is ungodly. Plus, most crucially, Bird pets are always calm and collected. I have never seen anyone flamed by a Bird Pet, where as their toxic Ranger 'owners' are another story entirely.

So ANET, please let us duo Q with bird pets and ditch the Ranger, as I imagine even the Rangers would be happy at this point. I would hate to be overshadowed by what was meant to be my pet, but is now my keeper.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ba1zwlq

As someone who didn't like ranger mechanics from the start and how absurd the position of the class in the meta game was, I must say that the current situation is quite worrying with the nerfs ranger has already gotten. If you want to rework pets overall DPS then the ranger itself needs to be upgraded. GS4 was clearly overpowered and instead of tackling that issue the answer was to increase the CD on all GS skills. Why? LOL.

@Rix.8510 said:As someone who didn't like ranger mechanics from the start and how absurd the position of the class in the meta game was, I must say that the current situation is quite worrying with the nerfs ranger has already gotten. If you want to rework pets overall DPS then the ranger itself needs to be upgraded. GS4 was clearly overpowered and instead of tackling that issue the answer was to increase the CD on all GS skills. Why? LOL.

because other ranger skills were also overpowered, maul is super strong, swoop is super strong, gs4 is turbo broken, and gs5 resets maul, nothing bad in the weapon, only thing it lacks is basic attack to be OP but pet covers that for you :D

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Give it a break.

Core Ranger just got removed from play this patch and even Soulbeast Greatsword side play was once again, heavily nerfed.

Move onto something else now.

Go on move along.

Or you could just play something else, other than glassbow. Rangers need to be weaned off the greatsword teat. The weapon was good when I left a few years ago, and it's been getting power creeped ever since. I was stunned at the low cooldowns.

People were getting whacked for 7.5k by tigers, it's down to what, 5.5-6k now? Birds didn't get touched, they still hit for 5-6k.

Try other ranger builds, you'd be surprised.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Rix.8510 said:As someone who didn't like ranger mechanics from the start and how absurd the position of the class in the meta game was, I must say that the current situation is quite worrying with the nerfs ranger has already gotten. If you want to rework pets overall DPS then the ranger itself needs to be upgraded. GS4 was clearly overpowered and instead of tackling that issue the answer was to increase the CD on all GS skills. Why? LOL.

because other ranger skills were also overpowered, maul is super strong, swoop is super strong, gs4 is turbo broken, and gs5 resets maul, nothing bad in the weapon, only thing it lacks is basic attack to be OP but pet covers that for you :D

It doesn't take an Einstein to keep track of the pet's movements. It can be kited just the same, just a lot easier, as human players. Greatsword is versatile, but isn't actually powerful in a direct damage contest unless you're skilled enough to soak all the Mauls.

@mistsim.2748 said:

Core Ranger just got removed from play this patch and even Soulbeast Greatsword side play was once again, heavily nerfed.

Go on move along.

Or you could just play something else, other than glassbow. Rangers need to be weaned off the greatsword teat. The weapon was good when I left a few years ago, and it's been getting power creeped ever since. I was stunned at the low cooldowns.

People were getting whacked for 7.5k by tigers, it's down to what, 5.5-6k now? Birds didn't get touched, they still hit for 5-6k.

1. I've been playing Core Necro today because it wins now, even on side nodes.
  2. Pet damage is fine.
  3. Core Ranger having Knight Amulet removed, immediately made the build no longer viable. It didn't need the other nerfs.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Go on move along.

1. Pet damage is fine.
  2. Core Ranger having Knight Amulet removed, immediately made the build no longer viable. It didn't need the other nerfs.

Interactive and engaging gameplay, right there.

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

@"Rix.8510" said:As someone who didn't like ranger mechanics from the start and how absurd the position of the class in the meta game was, I must say that the current situation is quite worrying with the nerfs ranger has already gotten. If you want to rework pets overall DPS then the ranger itself needs to be upgraded. GS4 was clearly overpowered and instead of tackling that issue the answer was to increase the CD on all GS skills. Why? LOL.

It doesn't take an Einstein to keep track of the pet's movements. It can be kited just the same, just a lot easier, as human players. Greatsword is versatile, but isn't actually powerful in a direct damage contest unless you're skilled enough to soak all the Mauls.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ba1zwlq

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

Go on move along.

1. Pet damage is fine.
  2. Core Ranger having Knight Amulet removed, immediately made the build no longer viable. It didn't need the other nerfs.

Pretty much as engaging as ranger gameplay

You mean the way the upgraded Mesmer after the Phantasm nerf, after they reworked them to be more useful?Yea I already have a bag of popcorn for those upgrades.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Go on move along.

2. Pet damage is fine.
  3. Core Ranger having Knight Amulet removed, immediately made the build no longer viable. It didn't need the other nerfs.

Cavalier was even better, but both did get deleted

So what needs upgraded if pet dps is nerfed? I love ranger so I'm interested in what can be buffed. Taking pet out of the equation rangers gs does very good dps as does lb. Rangers can be built squishy or very tanky. They have very potent condi options. I'd say if pet damage on bird was brought down with tiger the class should be pretty in line and would have been in a position where it may not get so much heat from players. Then maybe druid and its spirits could maybe see some love, specs such a waste of a good theme.Honestly ranger was fine other than few pets hitting to hard, why they didn't leave ranger itself alone and just deal with pets is beyond me. Hopefully we won't see anymore nerfs anytime soon.

@PistolWhip.2697 said:This wasn't meant to be a balance discussion.

I just wanted to duo with a bird pet because I feel like most ranger players I run into are dead weight.

Thankfully the bird wasn't touched at all itself, so I may just get to duo with the champ yet!

Rangers are bad for the birds TBH.Poor bird dies when ranger dies, they are tied to them :/

@Tharan.9085 said:

Go on move along.

1. Pet damage is fine.

Pretty much as engaging as ranger gameplay

And guardian is engaging? I have about 2000 more matches on guard than ranger and I can comfortably say that guardian is even less engaging. So get off of your high horse and stop pretending that you’re any better.