Revert Choking Gas to before rework

Papa Smurf.4792

7 ini cost is pretty much the same as deleting the skill haha.. Seriously just nerf the skill if it's overperferming, don't blow up the cost and ruin the synergy. If the daze was too accessible in pvp, then revert it to apply after a number of stacks like OP suggested.

Is Choking Gas really that noticeably effective to warrant pushing this skill unacceptably towards a cooldown instead of an Initiative skill? What are they trying to to do to our signature class mechanic? Initiative is why most of us continue the play this class, and this game, instead of other classes. I used to use Choking Gas quite a bit, it's wasn't something that was abused unless another player wanted to abuse themselves by staying in it, it's not huge, not long duration and pulses, and didn't lock people in. Now, I basically only use it once to try to hit the support section of a squad running on our walls when they clear siege for a few interrupts because it also cleaves but it's largely shaken off, I have faster and more precise interrupts for small fights.

Which ever dev was getting frustrated fighting Choking Gas, stay out of the circle, it's not a fast or overly effective skill and if you're trying to chip away at the core of our class by relegating us to a pace similar to a class with cool downs then please just go away. We like playing with Initiative and if we can't afford to use it, why play GW2 combat? Luckily it's only spvp right now, but that's basically going to be a thing because feedback in this game tends to lean towards, 'does it make thief easier for me to fight? Run with it'.

@Exitus.3297 said:Agreed. 7 initiative cost for this skill they could have just as easily rebalanced is silly.

As other posters have said, this just pigeon-holes Thieves into Trickery even harder. Even with Trickery the cost is too harsh.

Swapping to short bow mid-fight is a cost itself. Choking Gas has a clear missile and slow speed. I don't see how it was an issue. But it was probably nerfed so pugs could have their easy rezzes more often.

B e c a u s e being able to outplay somehow shouldn't feel meaningful and impactful.

Kind of feels like it's their shortcut to make particular skills have cooldown without actually having one. Which in this case sucks, because due to ini it's pretty much a global skill cooldown. I'd rather have them just add an actual cooldown on SOME skills reventant-style, so they won't be spammable (like they apparently don't want them to be), while at the same time not crippling the usage of the rest of thief's kit. Leave the previous ini cost, but add a cooldown on the skills they don't want to be spammed.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:Kind of feels like it's their shortcut to make particular skills have cooldown without actually having one. Which in this case sucks, because due to ini it's pretty much a global skill cooldown. I'd rather have them just add an actual cooldown on SOME skills reventant-style, so they won't be spammable (like they apparently don't want them to be), while at the same time not crippling the usage of the rest of thief's kit. Leave the previous ini cost, but add a cooldown on the skills they don't want to be spammed.

Or put a icd on some effects that are two strong like a 5 sec icd on gas daze and keep the cost reasonable.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:Kind of feels like it's their shortcut to make particular skills have cooldown without actually having one. Which in this case sucks, because due to ini it's pretty much a global skill cooldown. I'd rather have them just add an actual cooldown on SOME skills reventant-style, so they won't be spammable (like they apparently don't want them to be), while at the same time not crippling the usage of the rest of thief's kit. Leave the previous ini cost, but add a cooldown on the skills they don't want to be spammed.

Or put a icd on some effects that are two strong like a 5 sec icd on gas daze and keep the cost reasonable.

I was about to comment this. I'd much sooner see a 5s icd on the daze and have the skill reverted to 4 ini, would be powerful but not spammable then. Either that or rework so poison stacks were necessary, that implementation felt a lot more balanced imo. That said, this is the dev's fault for giving us a spammable AoE CC, of course it was going to get nerfed into the floor sooner or later.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

True. Actually limiting what they want to limit instead of shotgunning everything.

• Confused 1

I don't even like ~~ fighting~~ Thieves but my god this feels like the biggest facepalm change since Revenant got healing orbs. Sorry for all y'all, this change legit upsets me and makes me fear for the future of your weapon skills and the entirety of the initiative system. Hope you are ready for Dancing Daggers to cost two extra initiative for one extra bounce.

I'm here to voice my support for a cheaper chocking gas (6), but with a 3-5 second ICD on the daze. It shouldn't be spammed, because spamming it loses value, not because you simply can't. It's a better way to balance the skill, it's more enjoyable, still allows for more liberal poison application, while trimming the skill exactly where it needs to be.

@"Yasai.3549" said:Now Thieves feel what us Revs feel ;')

Watch them up the Ini cost of every single meta skill until yu guys are basically crippled after using 2 skills.

Yeah, because that's the first time they did that to thief, right? Poor revs so oppressed :lol:

"yu" is still not a word, just saying.

• Confused 1

@babazhook.6805 said:Use skill once. Your ini 70 percent gone. Then what. Nothing should cost 7 ini . There no use using a skill for 7 ini in any mode.

I don't mind a 7-initiative cost on a skill... if it dazed for 3 seconds, caused Weakness for 5 seconds, and Poisoned for 7 seconds... before traits are factored in.

But 7 initiative for Choking Gas? CHOKING GAS??? Of all skills to cost 7 initiative! This is the biggest April Fool's joke ArenaNet has ever pulled!