Balance 28/04/20

Dadnir.5038

Necromancer

• Death Shroud: Increased the life force lost per second from 3% to 4% in PvP only.
  • Ritual of Life: Reduced the revive pulse from 4% to 1% in PvP and WvW.
  • Fear of Death: Reduced life force gained from 15% to 7% in PvP only.
  • Unholy Sanctuary: Increased cooldown from 30 seconds to 120 seconds in PvP only.

Necromancer haters' wishes have been granted. Pretty poor way to handle things in my opinion but I don't expect ANet to suddenly do things in a different fashion.

Ritual of Life to 1% seems really too low to me. Necromancer support throw Blood Magic is “ressing capability” and “nothing else” (almost).

That trait is also available for more offensive builds, not only bunker builds. It used to be an alternative to offer some support at the cost of dps.

ArenaNet, can you think to necromancer as a whole instead of thinking to just the few builds people whine about?

Blood Magic as a trait line is not only for bunkers.

People hate fighting the foil. The foil has to exist in the game to keep it healthy and balanced. And if the devs don't recognize the importance of their foil balance goes out of wack. Necromancer is the foil. I've talked about this topic before.

Maybe the ressing capability was too much for a bunker build, not for any build (and I should mention that the bunker core necromancer was just a punching ball with a lot of Health and good ressing capability, I don’t even consider playing such bad builds).

Ressing was the theme of Blood Magic since the rework.

There is nothing to thumbs up ArenaNet for, there are not only the few builds you consider over powered. There are other niche builds, viable and not overpowered, that gets blindly nerfed.

This balance further restrict build diversity. Not everyone was playing, or want to play those builds that someone call overpowered.

Scourge has been ruined patch after patch too (much more than Blood Magic). They ruined support Scourge while trying to nerf condition Scourge. They also made many unnecessary changes to PvP Scourge while trying to nerf WvW Scourge.

Now Scourge would need a rework to be a “viable” (at least decent) choice in PvP in a support role, and who knows if and when that will happen. Unfortunately that would also touch PvE (I don’t really want that to happen), and without touching PvE the only way to fix that is to revert splits between game modes, then balance the game thinking much deeper.

I don’t want more frequent balance patches, I hope we can get well thought balance patches instead, even if that would take a lot of time. I don’t see the value of those frequent bad balance patches.

@Sobx.1758 said:Any of the 8 classes I'm not interested in gets nerfed? -everything's fine.MY class gets nerfed?! REEE HATERS WON AGAIN

Seriously, I'm not sure how anyone is surprised by these nerfs. And they're far from overdone.

Bad balance patches are bad, no matter what class they hit. Also, these balance patches are ”clearly” based on people whining.

Whining people just suggest to nerf things without a clue about the effects of what they ask. Then they are happy when the poorly thought nerfs come.

ArenaNet balance is not much better than the poorly thought suggestions given by whining people.

@Black Storm.6974 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:Any of the 8 classes I'm not interested in gets nerfed? -everything's fine.MY class gets nerfed?! REEE HATERS WON AGAIN

Seriously, I'm not sure how anyone is surprised by these nerfs. And they're far from overdone.

Bad balance patches are bad, no matter what class they hit.

Undeniably, "bad balance patches are bad". But this is not it.

Also, these balance patches are ”clearly” based on people whining.

Um... no.

• Confused 1

Core loses more and more sustain each patch and can still barely kill any competent player. It is on its best way to get scourge'd. Besides that the mass of bandaid fixes anet brings into the game is getting absurd.

Look at the paladin amulet change. =) That's so dumb to split even amulet attributes for bandaid purposes. In a few patches the necro specs will have different life force degeneration in each game mode and blood and death magic grant incredible sustain and support in PvE while they do nothing at all in PvP.

Another picture-perfect example of why anets balance team does clearly not play the game. Ritual of life nerf means we have - yet again a completly dead trait in bloodmagic. Just like the curses trait that gives a pitifull 3s of torment on CC. If anything, they would need to globally reduce the normal rezzing speed, as well as rebalance the whole downstate situation. Of course you need quick rezzes if there are some mechanics in the game that totally trivialize downstates and stomps - things like shadowstep stomps, safe stomps, stealth stomps. These things should not work and are the true reason why the downstate and rezz system is broken. Players are forced to rezz quick because certain classes can completly ignore this.

The reduction to base shroud decay is also just plain retarded. Whereas every other class gets rewarded for using their class mechanic, necro gets even more punished for it. You built up lifeforce? Good, now see it decay without even doing a damn thing. Meanwhile on the Rev side: oh you managed to press the button for your class mechanic? Here be rewarded for 50% energy for free! I mean lifeforce is - from all the class mechanics - the hardest one to build up, shroud itself, does have a cooldown. The skills that can give you lifeforce do have a cooldown and can be evaded, also just a certain amount of skills CAN give you lifeforce. Ultimately Its by far the most unreliable resource to get, nearly all other class mechanics are only gated by cooldowns. Punishing the player for getting and using said resource (Base Lifeforce decay nerf) + punishing the player for managing said resource (unholy sanctuary nerf) is just so so closeminded in the grand scheme of things.

I agree that they are also going too far with these splits between game modes. They are also making “absurd splits” (like Ritual of Life at 7% per second in PvE and at 1% in PvP and WvW).

I wonder if the PvP balance team is going to make those unnecessary big splits every time people whine about something. There are other ways to fix things, you have to think deeper if you want to make good balance patches, not faster.

I hope that crazy balance that recently plagued competitive modes will never touch PvE. Please, don’t touch PvE based on the mess that the current PvP balance team is doing. Let PvP balance team fix that mess inside PvP.

You could also consider the idea of reverting many of the splits and change PvP instead.

@Sobx.1758 said:Any of the 8 classes I'm not interested in gets nerfed? -everything's fine.MY class gets nerfed?! REEE HATERS WON AGAIN

2 things:

• This is the necromancer's subforum so it's natural to mainly talk about the necromancer in the threads of this subforum.
  • My main critic about the changes is that it's poorly done (and I would say the same for every single profession of this game).

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:Any of the 8 classes I'm not interested in gets nerfed? -everything's fine.MY class gets nerfed?! REEE HATERS WON AGAIN

2 things:
  • This is the necromancer's subforum so it's natural to mainly talk about the necromancer in the threads of this subforum.
  • My main critic about the changes is that it's poorly done (and I would say the same for every single profession of this game).

Talking about your class is one thing and I'm not trying to say you shouldn't be doing that. I'm talking about the way you (and some other people, it's not exactly restricted to your post/person) see the changes. That's almost a constant for some people and it's like that in other class' subforums. These changes didn't destroy necro and were easly to be expected.

See, if I was to say a balance change was poorly made, I'd rather focus on pointing out why. What was done poorly? What -in my opinion- was done wrongfully and what should be changed/nerfed/adjusted instead. But the first thing you write after listing patchnote changes is "Necromancer haters' wishes have been granted." And that's why it looks so ridiculous to me.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

2 things:

Talking about your class is one thing and I'm not trying to say you shouldn't be doing that. I'm talking about the way you (and some other people, it's not exactly restricted to your post/person) see the changes. That's almost a constant for some people and it's like that in other class' subforums. These changes didn't destroy necro and were easly to be expected.

See, if I was to say a balance change was poorly made, I'd rather focus on pointing out
why
. What was done poorly? What -in my opinion- was done wrongfully and what should be changed/nerfed/adjusted instead. But the first thing you write after listing patchnote changes is
"Necromancer haters' wishes have been granted."
And that's why it looks so ridiculous to me.

To me, it looks pretty self-explanatory.

Tankiness and Revival speed were the only outstanding things on Core Necro, both of which were hated on, especially with the recent nerfs to (mostly) power damage. Both were reduced without compensation, thus pleasing the people who did the hating.

Now, Core Necro does subpar damage, support via revival has been worsened and their tankiness took hits.It's not exactly fair.