Thief is totally broken now.

jgeezz.7832

With all the changes to Thief's it is officially broken. I have more HP on my Necro than i have on my thief and can duke it out even with a ranger rapid fire. On my thief i am a paper target with a sign that says shoot me cause I run deadeye. The amount of hate for deadeye build is crazy people make it seem like we can kill 10 players with 1 shot.Stealth is totally broken even through the DEVs and GW2 community says its not. In the past you could go into stealth when you were low health and run away to heal that is not the case anymore because if you the 1 other opponent uses and attack or ability before you stealth it still hits you and boom they see you again.

@jgeezz.7832 said:I have more HP on my Necro than i have on my thief

Not new.

On my thief i am a paper target with a sign that says shoot me cause I run deadeye. The amount of hate for deadeye build is crazy people make it seem like we can kill 10 players with 1 shot.

Deadeye or not -not new.

Stealth is totally broken even through the DEVs and GW2 community says its not. In the past you could go into stealth when you were low health and run away to heal that is not the case anymore because if you the 1 other opponent uses and attack or ability before you stealth it still hits you and boom they see you again.

Also not new.

Not sure why all of the sudden you've decided it's broken, nothing you wrote here is anything new.

• Confused 1

@jgeezz.7832 said:With all the changes to Thief's it is officially broken. I have more HP on my Necro than i have on my thief and can duke it out even with a ranger rapid fire. On my thief i am a paper target with a sign that says shoot me cause I run deadeye. The amount of hate for deadeye build is crazy people make it seem like we can kill 10 players with 1 shot.Stealth is totally broken even through the DEVs and GW2 community says its not. In the past you could go into stealth when you were low health and run away to heal that is not the case anymore because if you the 1 other opponent uses and attack or ability before you stealth it still hits you and boom they see you again.

Thief has always been low hp big dmg. Unless it's SPVP where it can also opt into a rotating role. As for players hating you, yeah it's gonna happen no one likes a class that nukes you and can potentially dodge 70% of your attacks or goes invs. As for the stealth tracking/not being able to heal. The stealth run away and heal is still doable it's just that reveals are more of a thing now and you need to dodge the reveals and if you're tracked/getting attacked while trying to stealth or are stealthed you need to use your dodge and if your weapon has it use the dodge on it.

@pureskullz.7536 said:

@jgeezz.7832 said:With all the changes to Thief's it is officially broken. I have more HP on my Necro than i have on my thief and can duke it out even with a ranger rapid fire. On my thief i am a paper target with a sign that says shoot me cause I run deadeye. The amount of hate for deadeye build is crazy people make it seem like we can kill 10 players with 1 shot.Stealth is totally broken even through the DEVs and GW2 community says its not. In the past you could go into stealth when you were low health and run away to heal that is not the case anymore because if you the 1 other opponent uses and attack or ability before you stealth it still hits you and boom they see you again.

Thief has always been low hp big dmg. Unless it's SPVP where it can also opt into a rotating role. As for players hating you, yeah it's gonna happen no one likes a class that nukes you and can potentially dodge 70% of your attacks or goes invs. As for the stealth tracking/not being able to heal. The stealth run away and heal is still doable it's just that reveals are more of a thing now and you need to dodge the reveals and if you're tracked/getting attacked while trying to stealth or are stealthed you need to use your dodge and if your weapon has it use the dodge on it.

Nah, thief has been low hp, mediocre damage and high mobility. Its just that right now its low damage instead of mediocre. And complaining about thieves ability to avoid attacks when theyre worse at it than warrior, weaver and revenant is just silly. As is complaining about in-combat stealth.

Its funny whenever you see a thief is broken thread. It can either be that thief is the most overpowered devil's spawn that can possibly exist and needs to be nerfed into oblivion immediately. Or, thief is the most underpowered baby kitten that gets rofl stomped by any class that knows how to auto attack.

You can sort 95% of guild wars 2 players into either of those two mindsets.

Thief is fine at the moment, it can certainly 1v1 and it is still the best runaway class by a large margin. It doesn't need buffs.

@jgeezz.7832 said:You are right nothing new but you think the dev's would look at the forms they must not because the current post are everyone trying to find a build that works because the Thief is so broken now.

Hold on ... the changes aren't new to thief. If you think it's broken, why do you think the solution is for Anet to look at the forum and try to chase down a solution by changing the class? That's not how this has ever worked. To be frank, the changes took the wind out of the sails for some of the most ridiculous builds we have seen for a long time ... including thief.

Your post history also suggests you should probably learn to adapt to game changes better. They are going to happen and they ARE going to have significant impacts on builds people play. There is zero value in simply complaining that a change has made a class/build/skill/weapon/whatever bad ...

Try out new things man. This is the biggest shakeup the game has had in a while, and one of the biggest changes I have noted is that our 1v1 ability has gone up considerably. Been having good luck lately running with high damage gear paired with specs that are sustain/utility/damage bonus focused in roughly equal measure.

Point being, this balance is so new that no one has really, really figured out what may or may not work. Try a bunch of builds, find something you like. . . .or roll another class.

@Doug.4930 said:Its funny whenever you see a thief is broken thread. It can either be that thief is the most overpowered devil's spawn that can possibly exist and needs to be nerfed into oblivion immediately. Or, thief is the most underpowered baby kitten that gets rofl stomped by any class that knows how to auto attack.

Thief is fine at the moment, it can certainly 1v1 and it is still the best runaway class by a large margin. It doesn't need buffs.

Thief definitely cant 1v1. But thats fine, it wasnt able to 1v1 since pre-HoT. Thats just how the class works nowadays. Its focused on +1ing. Problem is, thief isnt exactly great at +1ing right now either.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

@Doug.4930 said:Its funny whenever you see a thief is broken thread. It can either be that thief is the most overpowered devil's spawn that can possibly exist and needs to be nerfed into oblivion immediately. Or, thief is the most underpowered baby kitten that gets rofl stomped by any class that knows how to auto attack.

Thief definitely cant 1v1. But thats fine, it wasnt able to 1v1 since pre-HoT. Thats just how the class works nowadays. Its focused on +1ing. Problem is, thief isnt exactly great at +1ing right now either.

It can't 1v1 within the context of downing enemy players to take points due to it relying on kiting/evades and stealth. Both these two damage mitigation/attack mechanics don't mesh well with taking capture points 1v1, and thief has never really excelled at this in spvp. I would still argue that its mobility is still unmatched for decaps, whilst also asserting that it can still +1. But simply in terms if winning 1v1's or duels, thief is more than capable.

But if we're being honest thief truly excels in WvW because its so effective at evading enemies and fleeing combat whenever a fight is going poorly.

@Doug.4930 said:

It can't 1v1 within the context of downing enemy players to take points due to it relying on kiting/evades and stealth. Both these two damage mitigation/attack mechanics don't mesh well with taking capture points 1v1, and thief has never really excelled at this in spvp. I would still argue that its mobility is still unmatched for decaps, whilst also asserting that it can still +1. But simply in terms if winning 1v1's or duels, thief is more than capable.

But if we're being honest thief truly excels in WvW because its so effective at evading enemies and fleeing combat whenever a fight is going poorly.

Nah, not even that context. Take away the control points, and thief would be just as incapable of 1v1ing people. I mean we saw this in 2v2 where often it turned into 2 1v1s, and thief was the worst class in that gamemode.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

Nah, not even that context. Take away the control points, and thief would be just as incapable of 1v1ing people. I mean we saw this in 2v2 where often it turned into 2 1v1s, and thief was the worst class in that gamemode.

I can't really say I agree, but then again I much prefer the open world pvp that WvW provides so perhaps the meta in spvp is vastly different to what I have been experiencing lately.

@Doug.4930 said:

I can't really say I agree, but then again I much prefer the open world pvp that WvW provides so perhaps the meta in spvp is vastly different to what I have been experiencing lately.

It aint different in WvW. Thieves gank players who are undergeared, unaware, or already fighting someone, or they run. Constantly. Solokilling you in a 1v1 however? YEah that is something they cant do.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

It aint different in WvW. Thieves gank players who are undergeared, unaware, or already fighting someone, or they run. Constantly. Solokilling you in a 1v1 however? YEah that is something they cant do.

Agree to disagree, I main thief. I can win 1v1's against people I know to be decent roamers. I guess it depends on the build, as it always has since the beginning of time.

@Doug.4930 said:

Agree to disagree, I main thief. I can win 1v1's against people I know to be decent roamers. I guess it depends on the build, as it always has since the beginning of time.

I main core Engineer, which isnt exactly a good build. I have yet to lose a 1v1 to a thief, even the good ones. Theyre at too much of a disadvantage, with far lower damage, far lower survivability, far lower sustain, lower cc, and no edge they have over me.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

I main core Engineer, which isnt exactly a good build. I have yet to lose a 1v1 to a thief, even the good ones. Theyre at too much of a disadvantage, with far lower damage, far lower survivability, far lower sustain, lower cc, and no edge they have over me.So you just verified that thief is bad against 1 type of build out of 24 different ones (counting core + 2 different elites per class, not each actual build since you're not really that specific).

I hereby present your anectodal proof that thief sucks against core engineer as anecdotal proof that thief is awesome against the other 95% of builds.

Prove me wrong by using your engineer as example.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

I main core Engineer, which isnt exactly a good build. I have yet to lose a 1v1 to a thief, even the good ones. Theyre at too much of a disadvantage, with far lower damage, far lower survivability, far lower sustain, lower cc, and no edge they have over me.So you just verified that thief is bad against 1 type of build out of 24 different ones (counting core + 2 different elites per class, not each actual build since you're not really that specific).

Its bad against a build thats not a fine-tuned top tier duelist roamer. It will fare worse against others.

I hereby present your anectodal proof that thief sucks against core engineer as anecdotal proof that thief is awesome against the other 95% of builds.

Prove me wrong by using your engineer as example.

The proof doesnt lie in that. The proof lies in what disadvantages thief has against all classes (basically, damage, sustain, survivability) and what advantages it has (running away and avoiding a fight. Thats it).

@UNOwen.7132 said:

I main core Engineer, which isnt exactly a good build. I have yet to lose a 1v1 to a thief, even the good ones. Theyre at too much of a disadvantage, with far lower damage, far lower survivability, far lower sustain, lower cc, and no edge they have over me.

Do you run tools? Because there exists no greater thief counter than lock-on. Two separate reveals with a single trait on a 25 sec cd. Works best when running holo but a core engi could certainly make it work.

Doesn't mean thief can't win 1v1's. Just means that it has counters.

@Doug.4930 said:

Do you run tools? Because there exists no greater thief counter than lock-on. Two separate reveals with a single trait on a 25 sec cd. Works best when running holo but a core engi could certainly make it work.

I do in fact run Tools. But, I dont run lock-on, I run streamlined kits. As far as Im concerned, Lock-on is one of the worst traits in the game. Its useless against out of combat stealth, and in-combat stealth is trivially easy to punish anyway. Its just a waste of a slot.

Doesn't mean thief can't win 1v1's. Just means that it has counters.

I dont use the counter. It still loses. Thief cant win 1v1s against any good build. It has no advantages to leverage while it has multiple disadvantages that crush it.

@"Aracz.4702" said:"Paper is so weak, I always beat it with scissors" ^^

Not exactly. A better analogy is "Paper is so weak, I always beat it with Rock". And yeah, at that point paper is weak, when it loses to the things it should counter.