Why did my Ranger turn into a submarine? [Merged]

aaron.7850

-ping-.....-ping-....-ping-

Seriously, its a sonar sound, and after hearing real sonar(aka being 5 feet above the source.) that sound is such an irritation to my ears i had to stop using staff on my druid, good thing i play the game muted now, but if i could change that sound on my end i so would.

I am talking about the baffling sound effect of Staff 1... its so off-putting and immersion breaking its like a dev put it in there as a placeholder and forgot about it. And its very annoying too.It is LITERALLY a submarine sonar.

As a general rule it's never a good idea to assume that everyone reading a forum topic (any topic, on any forum) is aware of the problem you're having or considers it a problem. Chances are at least some of them have never noticed, some are indifferent and when it's something like this there's probably even some people who like it. When you make a topic vaugely alluding to the problem in a way that only makes sense if everyone else had the same reaction you did you're going to get a whole load of confused people and very little traction for getting the problem fixed.

Imagine your target audience is people who have never equipped a staff on a druid. They would hate the sound if they did but currently they're unaware of it. How would you get them on board with your request to change it? What exactly is the problem? What would you do to change it? (Also be prepared for the fact that some people will, genuinely, like it the way it is and you'll need to either find a reason (other than your own opinion) that your position takes priority - it's enough of a problem that fixing it justifies removing something people like - or you'll need to find a compromise, like adding it to the things changed by the 'unique item sounds' options so you can mute it and they can keep it.

You can still use similes and metaphors to emphaise the point, you just can't rely on them to make the entire point for you when the underlying facts aren't apparent to your audience.

@aaron.7850 said:So I finally unlocked the Druid elite spec and decided to use test my staff, and lo and behold my ranger is now a submarine scanning the depths of the ocean for kaiju activity

Staff 1 is the sound used for the Octovine. Listen carefully during the fight.

Long ago I suggested a different sound, but... yeah.

@aaron.7850 said:I am talking about the baffling sound effect of Staff 1... its so off-putting and immersion breaking its like a dev put it in there as a placeholder and forgot about it. And its very annoying too.It is LITERALLY a submarine sonar.

I too find that a bizarre sound effect choice...it seems a bit lazy on ANet's part. Also, Celestial Avatar 5 skill sound is like some kind of machine whirring, not a druid-communing-with-nature sound.

• 2 years later...
On 12/4/2022 at 12:39 AM, DarkSoul.2348 said:

Just my two cents opinion on this.I find the sound effect with primary attack on druids staff a little hard listen to when playing.Maybe its just me and some like it but if i am not alone speak up so we can have a cooler effect.

It is not you, there are a lot of cosmetic details Anet should look into:

• The submarine like sound, it becomes very annoying to hear the high pitch noise after a while. Reason i never liked Druid. 
  • The weird animation while doing such attack for females. I don't understand what is wrong with the normal male animation by holding the staff normally. Sames goes for other animations like the Avatar#5 skill. 
  • The very ugly auras in Soulbeast an UnWanted. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Just as a forewarning, never craft Astralaria--as its the main sound you hear when drawing the weapon lol.  

Aside of being able to mute the sounds in the options menu, when drawing the weapons is not as common as 3 times per second during whole battle. 

I could pass the sound if it was only once when entering combat/swapping weapons. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...