PLEASE add night-mode to the forums

Lonecap.4105

I really love coming to the forums and posting when I'm not on GW2, but the forum is triggering aura migraines which I suffer from. I know this won't affect everyone quite as severely, but the forum is too white with small text, even those who don't suffer migraines will find this unpleasant to look at, especially at night. Please add a theme to the forums that inverts all white and black.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:I really love coming to the forums and posting when I'm not on GW2, but the forum is triggering aura migraines which I suffer from. I know this won't affect everyone quite as severely, but the forum is too white with small text, even those who don't suffer migraines will find this unpleasant to look at, especially at night. Please add a theme to the forums that inverts all white and black.

I get aura migraines too but they aren't triggered by black on white text. This seems like a useful option but in the meantime plenty of browsers do have night time plugins or built in options to do the same. Are you on pc or mobile?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@thrdeye.1028 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:I really love coming to the forums and posting when I'm not on GW2, but the forum is triggering aura migraines which I suffer from. I know this won't affect everyone quite as severely, but the forum is too white with small text, even those who don't suffer migraines will find this unpleasant to look at, especially at night. Please add a theme to the forums that inverts all white and black.

I get aura migraines too but they aren't triggered by black on white text. This seems like a useful option but in the meantime plenty of browsers do have night time plugins or built in options to do the same. Are you on pc or mobile?

I think it's just the overwhelming whiteness of the forum around the text, I get flashing vision if I look away from it after reading a topic. Regardless, you inspired me to take matters into my own hands, I had never thought of adding a browser plugin to solve this, but I downloaded one which has done exactly what I wanted. So thank you very much! :+1:

• Like 1

If anyone here is desiring a non-bright/white theme for the forums and uses FireFox, I know there are many options out there. However, consider taking a look at the Stylish (CSS) theme I made that is linked in my signature to see if it is something you'd prefer.

There are some screenshots in an Imgur gallery and instructions on how to install Stylish and use the theme included in the CSS theme file. Can also message me if there are any issues you encounter that I can help with.

@StinVec.3621 said:If anyone here is desiring a non-bright/white theme for the forums and uses FireFox, I know there are many options out there. However, consider taking a look at the Stylish (CSS) theme I made that is linked in my signature to see if it is something you'd prefer.

There are some screenshots in an Imgur gallery and instructions on how to install Stylish and use the theme included in the CSS theme file. Can also message me if there are any issues you encounter that I can help with.

Stylus does the same and accepts the same CSS code but it is available for Firefox, Chrome and Opera. It should work with Edge or anything else that supports WebExtensions as well.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@StinVec.3621 said:If anyone here is desiring a non-bright/white theme for the forums and uses FireFox, I know there are many options out there. However, consider taking a look at the Stylish (CSS) theme I made that is linked in my signature to see if it is something you'd prefer.

Stylus does the same and accepts the same CSS code but it is available for Firefox, Chrome and Opera. It should work with Edge or anything else that supports WebExtensions as well.

I've looked at Stylus before, but I've not used Chrome or Opera in a very, very long time. I was not sure if those browsers ever added support for the Mozilla-specific @-moz-document domain to restrict theme activation to only the specified domain, so I stuck with only recommending the theme for FireFox users. If they have not adopted support for it, perhaps there is another way to ensure theme activation for the specified site regardless of the browser used.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@thrdeye.1028 said:

I think it's just the overwhelming whiteness of the forum around the text, I get flashing vision if I look away from it after reading a topic. Regardless, you inspired me to take matters into my own hands, I had never thought of adding a browser plugin to solve this, but I downloaded one which has done exactly what I wanted. So thank you very much! :+1:

Glad I could help. Auras suck, they're worse than the headache itself.

• 3 years later...

I used the "GW2Dark" stylus theme for years until the forums were changed yet again and the theme doesn't work anymore. Is anyone still using it any was competent enough to modify it to work with the yet again changed forum?

Or maybe @StinVec.3621 is still around and can fix it for us...pretty pleeeease 🙂

I really really can't use this forum with its HORRIBLE eyeburning bright white background and while pretty much everyone offers dark modes nowadays, ArenaNet still doesn't seem to "see any demand" 😞

PS:Please not pointing at "generic" browser exxtensions that blanketly change the website around to what they think works as dark mode, I've been through that years ago and its not what I want. I rather not use the forums at all then use those.

Edited by Shikigami.4013
Addition

35 minutes ago, Shikigami.4013 said:

I used the "GW2Dark" stylus theme for years until the forums were changed yet again and the theme doesn't work anymore. Is anyone still using it any was competent enough to modify it to work with the yet again changed forum?

Or maybe @StinVec.3621 is still around and can fix it for us...pretty pleeeease 🙂

I really really can't use this forum with its HORRIBLE eyeburning bright white background and while pretty much everyone offers dark modes nowadays, ArenaNet still doesn't seem to "see any demand" 😞

PS:Please not pointing at "generic" browser exxtensions that blanketly change the website around to what they think works as dark mode, I've been through that years ago and its not what I want. I rather not use the forums at all then use those.

Check this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

Unless you have astigmatism, or prefer to have your face to the screen in a poorly lit room, dark mode doesn’t really offer any benefits. It’s more of an aesthetic preference than anything. 

I'm guessing you're not prone to migraines?  Bright white can be painful.  At any rate, I too would love a dark mode.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/28/2021 at 6:31 AM, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

I'm guessing you're not prone to migraines?  Bright white can be painful.  At any rate, I too would love a dark mode.

If you’re in a poorly lit room, then yes, the screen would be very bright. 

EDIT: I’m not against there being a dark mode option though. 

Edited by Ayrilana.1396
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

If you’re in a poorly lit room, then yes, the screen would be very bright. 

I'm assuming you have zero experience in web design.  Yes, the screen would be very bright.  That can cause eyestrain and headaches as the eye is trying to adapt to the large differences in brightness.  This is a well studied subject dating back to the days of the early monochrome monitors when they were trying to figure out which color phosphor was best to use.

A web designer doesn't always have control over the reader's environmental illumination (like time of day) so it's good practice to provide a dark theme so as to not cause such problems in lower light environments.  This isn't a purely aesthetic preference.  The sun does set.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I'm assuming you have zero experience in web design.  Yes, the screen would be very bright.  That can cause eyestrain and headaches as the eye is trying to adapt to the large differences in brightness.  This is a well studied subject dating back to the days of the early monochrome monitors when they were trying to figure out which color phosphor was best to use.

A web designer doesn't always have control over the reader's environmental illumination (like time of day) so it's good practice to provide a dark theme so as to not cause such problems in lower light environments.  This isn't a purely aesthetic preference.  The sun does set.

This has little to do with web design and more to do with science. No research conducted as shown that dark mode offers any health benefits over light mode other than for the reasons which I already mentioned. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

This has little to do with web design and more to do with science. No research conducted as shown that dark mode offers any health benefits over light mode other than for the reasons which I already mentioned. 

No one said dark mode offers any health benefits over light mode. We're talking about eye adaptation to brightness differences. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1