Can you let us switch character 1 min after match starts

Queued for a ranked match this morning, i am very high rating so my queue times are usually 15-20 minutes. I kitten around in wvw meanwhile on my wvw guard. Queue pop and i'm still on my wvw guard. I look on my other monitor for abit waiting for the match to start and just as it is about to start i realise i'm on the wrong guard.

I'm still on my wvw guard, with a spec i never pvp with. Unable to switch character to my pvp char i leave the game so my teammates dont lose rating. Meanwhile i lose 23 rating, 23 rating i had accumulated the previous 4 high rated game wins because i am unable to switch character.

mZtxlTL.png

Yeah, i should have been looking at my game realising i'm on the wrong spec, but i didnt. And this has happeneed to me and surely others before. Allowing char switch just 30 sec or 1 min into the game would not affect the game and would prevent this from happening.

I think they should completely lock character switching and even build template switching as soon as you have pressed accept on a ranked match pop.

I've been in a similar situation to you tho a few times where I did some PvE and then queued and then I have the wrong weapons on and I don't realize until after the match has started

@"Bazsi.2734" said:The matchmaker put you into that match as X class, playing as Y is kind of cheating already.don't think so, 2 thiefs vs no thiefs team is not something magic. I think it mostly random, and mor elook mmr rate than class.

The matchmaker put you into that match as X class, playing as Y is kind of cheating already.this is cheat call "SKILL"

On the other char you could use the same build and save it in some template. If there are not enough slots left (cause they are expensive and you don't want to buy more) the account storage for templates might help. (Unless that is full as well.)

Won't help after the match has started though. (When builds can't even be changed.)

I regularly had the problem of having the wrong weapon equipped on my engineer. (Now after some losses because of it I lerned to double check.) I play scrapper on my PvE build and core engineer on my PvP build. Switching to the match from PvE to PvP automatically changes my build template but the equipment stays at hammer (weapon set 1) and I sometimes forgot to swap weapons to set 2 (rifle) and were left with hammer that can't be used as core engineer. (And we now have 2 weapon sets but we can't swap "in combat" and after the match starts this counts as "in combat" all the time.)

I can see why it happens: You are bored of the waiting and only check when the match finally started. Pressing "ready" and waiting cause you are used to because you usually never change builds for PvP. Then some minor mistake because of different stuff played in PvE (or here WvW) happens ...(I even went away while waiting and couldn't accept the popup and got 3 mins dishonor. And I just went to the toilet and was too slow. Wished there was an auto accept here as well.)

Tbh I'd love to have some account-wide loadout screen for PvP on every respawn and us being able to bring 3 or so different builds to chose from (even different chars allowed). I mean ... the rating also is account wide. Not tied to your char/class or build. Would allow for mor flexibility and interesting tactics (and changes of tactics) in mid game. (Like ... when it is close and you are ahead a bit and it is near the end ... all switching to full bunker and defending 2 or even only 1 node :D )

@Bazsi.2734 said:Even better, just remove the ability to reroll period. The matchmaker put you into that match as X class, playing as Y is kind of cheating already. Allow for retraiting in that 1 minute, but lock the classes down.

There's also the slightly abusable part where the matchmaking algorithm will always try to create mirror matchups between classes if it can. So if you queue on Warrior it will try to put another Warrior on the enemy team for example. Meaning if you have a build on Class A that hardcounters the meta build for Class B you can queue as Class B and then reroll Class A.

This is incidentally also why its generally really, really bad to play a sidenoder build or duelist build on classes where the most common or meta build is a support or teamfight role.

no, its your own dam fault. "oh I messed up this once change the rules for me", no dood get over it and don't make the mistake again. i'm tired of seeing posts like this, mostly cuz I wouldn't put it past anet to actually make these kinds of changes. if anything we need more strict rules for q'ing. the game has gotten watered down over the years, it ain't how it used to be, rabble rabble.

@Multicolorhipster.9751 said:No. Remove character swap completely.

The setup phase should be for tweaking builds only, and people should be locked to whatever character they queued as.

this, or mb let the first 30s for switching so people can queue while doing pve on other classes.but the best thing to do would be implement playing on X character but being able to queue on Y character.

I am for the way they do it in gw1 with locking build template and profession once you entered the queue. and your build for pvp saves in the pvp lobby. all that is left is switching weapons if you used different ones. so all you need to do is get the build in the pvp lobby get out of the lobby and switch to a different build on the same profession in pve or wvw and you are good to go. changing profession before a match is pretty much a middlefinger to other players.

so if you plan to make it legitimate don't be surprised when a team of 4 thiefs turns into one of 4 necros all of a sudden. just as an example.

@Bazsi.2734 said:Even better, just remove the ability to reroll period. The matchmaker put you into that match as X class, playing as Y is kind of cheating already. Allow for retraiting in that 1 minute, but lock the classes down.

Relog to make ur team more competitive are a way of skill , be able to multiclass to fill your team comp shouldnt be revarded? Also plenty of times i have been matched with two thieves .

@wevh.2903 said:

Relog to make ur team more competitive are a way of skill , be able to multiclass to fill your team comp shouldnt be revarded? Also plenty of times i have been matched with two thieves .

Main reason it's allowed because the matchmaking sometimes does goof and creates matches with 4+ of the same class. Sometimes a surplus of X class shows up in the queue, they are withheld for some time, but after failing to find a match for them, they get dumped into the same match. So not only did they wait for longer than the average player, they got a bad match ahead of them.If players could see the expected waiting time for each class(therefore see whats overrepresented atm), and matchmaking would absolutely not dump more then 2 of the same class into one match, rerolling could be removed from the gamemode completely.Rerolling can be used to manipulate the comps too much. You queue with your friend as something you'd like to play against(as matchmaking likes making mirror matchups), then instantly relog to it's counter as you load in. Also if would make disgraces like the last EU monthly impossible(3+ renegade in the winner team lol). We have 9 classes for a 10 player gamemode, having 2 of each maximum would be also a cheeky way to force diversity.

So yeah you can look at it like devaluing multiclassing, I look at it like taking away tools from match manipulators and improving matchmaking. You're not wrong, I just think the positive effects outweigh the negatives if we don't let people reroll left and right.