Query about matchmaking parameters

Query for ANet or anyone else who can answer.

I understood that matchmaking parameters only widened after queuing for 5 minutes, so after that length of time you're more likely to get people outside your mmr.Why then can you be matched with people 300 rating below you when queue pops after 30 seconds - 2 minutes?

MM builds the match around a player.

If the matchmaking player is 1000, you are 1200 and someone is 800 you might still fall into the same match since both of you are in 200 deviation from MM player. At least that's how I understand it.

@"Meteor.3720" said:Query for ANet or anyone else who can answer.

I understood that matchmaking parameters only widened after queuing for 5 minutes, so after that length of time you're more likely to get people outside your mmr.Why then can you be matched with people 300 rating below you when queue pops after 30 seconds - 2 minutes?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm#Ratings

@Meteor.3720 said:Query for ANet or anyone else who can answer.

Yeah, the matchmaking system in this game is based off of ELO, which was and is used for chess. Unfortunately, when applied to team games like this one, it just ends up being disastrous! It's not just gw2 either, ELO-based matchmaking just flat out fails in any team pvp game. I played them. CoD, Age of Empires, you name it.

As far as parameters go...yeah.....the system will default to try to find somebody for you to play with, even if that person is leagues better or worse than you!