Do you get automatically dismounted if you're AFK?

Danikat.8537

I was messing around with dyes on my (newly obtained) jackal and left my character sitting on it while I was on Facebook so I could come back to it and see if I liked the choice I'd made. Then I got distracted and was literally afk (not even in the same room as the PC).

When I came back about 20 minutes later my character was stood in the same spot but standing, not mounted. I checked my combat log and it doesn't show anything attacking me, or anything at all happening since I logged into this character. I'm right by the Jackal Run heart NPC so it seems unlikely anything would have attacked me. I can't think of any other reason I'd be dismounted so now I'm wondering if there's a timer which dismounts you after a period of inactivity. (Maybe to stop people afking mounted in busy spots where they'd be in the way.)

I'm not complaining if there is, or if there isn't, just trying to work out what happened.

There seems to be an auto-dismount effect at times when there are lots of people and you're idle (I've been hit by it many times waiting for Tequatl, and seen many others around me dismounted at the same time.) It'd be nice to know what the official mechanism is.While on the topic, can we get some tuning on the no-mount-zone around jumping puzzles? Some of those seem punitively huge, or have no apparent concept of three dimensions (i.e. underground JP dismounts those above it, even if they couldn't possibly use a mount from that location to cheese the JP in any way.)

personally never seen it happen if there is a mechanic like this i don't see any problem with it though. I've sit in amnoon on a mount just chilling enjoying a dip(smokeless tobacco) for about 20 mins never been forced to dismount. So partial afk i'm still there just chilling watching screen. (its hard to spit and kill at same time without gagging to death lol atleast till my saliva stabilizes)

Ah ok, that makes a lot of sense.

Although now I'm hoping there's a 'grace period' if you're using a mount ability. Otherwise I can guarantee one of these days I'll be in the middle of leaping a chasm on my raptor when a meta event starts and suddenly find myself falling to my death, fumbling for the glider button. (Yes it's the same as the jump button, no that wouldn't make it any easier to hit in my panic.)

@Danikat.8537 said:Ah ok, that makes a lot of sense.

Although now I'm hoping there's a 'grace period' if you're using a mount ability. Otherwise I can guarantee one of these days I'll be in the middle of leaping a chasm on my raptor when a meta event starts and suddenly find myself falling to my death, fumbling for the glider button. (Yes it's the same as the jump button, no that wouldn't make it any easier to hit in my panic.)

i doubt it would do it while one is actually playing moving pressing buttons and skills so i wouldn't worry about that. wouldn't be consider as afk anyways would it?Now lag that could cause all sorts of weirdness i havn't hit lag on mounts yet so i have no idea what that will do lol.

In addition, I've encountered an issue of being dismounted while sitting still (appreciating the view) on the Skimmer mount, though it's usually when I am up off of the ground and on top of a building or tall structure. The dismounting from the Skimmer while on structures sometimes happens after a few seconds of mounting it while up there, other times it doesn't dismount me for several minutes.

I know this isn't the mount you were on when you discovered that you were mysteriously dismounted upon your return to your PC, but surface material or altitude/vertical position may be something to keep in mind when standing still for a prolonged time period.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@DBZVelena.5186 said:so mounts count as mini's?

Every time that I got booted, I remember seeing the message about minis. I've seen other posts here and on reddit about the same thing. They don't necessarily have to be coded to act together to behave the same.

Could be a bug to, has anet said anything about it? if so link it so we know for future reference.personally, sounds like a bug cause ive never been affected by it even in mini hide trigger/event.Also another reason I feel bug anet is pretty quick on replying over actual intention be it here or reddit.Usually on bugs we don't get much feedback from them atleast on this side not everyone uses reddit.

Archived