1v1 matchup questions

i had a 1v1 against a Herald today in WvW while roaming around as a Reaper. I couldn't do anything to him. He attacked while i was not in shroud and ran out of range while i was. Also he had some good closers so chill/cripple wasn't super effective. He had boons and other rev enhancements up making it so i couldn't deal much damage yet he did a ton. How do i 1v1 them? Doesn't help i don't know much about them.Also any tips for 1v1ing guardians? They give me a hard time too.

Marauder Spite Soul Reaping Signet Reaper with Speed Rune and Cleansing + Energy Sigils.

On that build you should not lose to any Revenant or Guardian build (does not matter if it's condi or power).

Don't roam without Speed Rune these days! You can't burst anymore on Reaper so you need to stick to your target and spam shroud autos as long as possible.

If ANet removes Speed Rune and keeps the current (low) damage numbers, then Reaper is dead. The spec has become pretty one-dimensional...

Yeah I hope no ANet employee will ever watch me playing Reaper. This build looks like the spec is on steroids (mobility) against most players because they suck at the game and are overwhelmed by the sticky shroud autos.

The patient ones of us will just keep cool and kite that build like a boss which is still possible for at least 50% of the classes. The rest has blocks and stuff they should learn to time adequately.

@SlitheSlivier.1908 said:i had a 1v1 against a Herald today in WvW while roaming around as a Reaper. I couldn't do anything to him. He attacked while i was not in shroud and ran out of range while i was. Also he had some good closers so chill/cripple wasn't super effective. He had boons and other rev enhancements up making it so i couldn't deal much damage yet he did a ton. How do i 1v1 them? Doesn't help i don't know much about them.Also any tips for 1v1ing guardians? They give me a hard time too.

Revs of all flavors are weak to CC and conditions- especially weakness, blind, and chill. Against power, dodge or blind the phase traversal+oh sword burst. Against condi, dodge or blind the axe 5 CC and followup mallyx pull. Corrupt the stability once they put down a jalis road if they're a bunker.

The harder you can press them on offense (meaning don't attack into their defensive CDs- infusing light, staff block, staff evade, sword 3 evade, etc.) the more they need to spend their energy on defensive cooldowns, the less energy they have left for dealing damage to you. Weakness neuters their burst, blind can cause them to waste 30+ energy completely, and chill can screw up their defensive rotations which in turn gives you better windows to apply pressure. Long CCs are the best of all, because each of their stunbreaks pretty much wipes out their energy reserves. Land 2 CCs in <10s and they're a sitting duck.

Anything that has multiple teleports is best fought on terrain that does not allow it.

An example of this would be the hill nearest Klovan in Eternal Battlegrounds. A part of that hill does not allow any teleports which means a Revenant will not be able to use Phase Traversal or Unrelenting Assault.

In general, it's a good idea to force your opponents to chase you or to fight on your terms. You do not want to be doing the chasing, because you have no mobility. If someone tries to disengage on you, you need to do the same and move in the opposite direction as soon as they do to break combat faster.

Necro is the master of area denial. Keep that in mind and use tight spaces to your advantage. A Necro in an open field is at it's weakest.

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@SlitheSlivier.1908 said:i had a 1v1 against a Herald today in WvW while roaming around as a Reaper. I couldn't do anything to him. He attacked while i was not in shroud and ran out of range while i was. Also he had some good closers so chill/cripple wasn't super effective. He had boons and other rev enhancements up making it so i couldn't deal much damage yet he did a ton. How do i 1v1 them? Doesn't help i don't know much about them.Also any tips for 1v1ing guardians? They give me a hard time too.

Revs of all flavors are weak to CC and conditions- especially weakness, blind, and chill. Against power, dodge or blind the phase traversal+oh sword burst. Against condi, dodge or blind the axe 5 CC and followup mallyx pull. Corrupt the stability once they put down a jalis road if they're a bunker.

The harder you can press them on offense (meaning don't attack into their defensive CDs- infusing light, staff block, staff evade, sword 3 evade, etc.) the more they need to spend their energy on defensive cooldowns, the less energy they have left for dealing damage to you. Weakness neuters their burst, blind can cause them to waste 30+ energy completely, and chill can screw up their defensive rotations which in turn gives you better windows to apply pressure. Long CCs are the best of all, because each of their stunbreaks pretty much wipes out their energy reserves. Land 2 CCs in <10s and they're a sitting duck.The smart revs run cleansing sigil in wvw so that cc condis are close to useless since rev is a class that swaps weapons on cooldown to reset the energy pool.

So the best strategy is just pressure them hard and stow weapon the moment infuse light is popped.

Fun Fact: most power shiros manage to get a higher chill uptime on me than I can do on them.

A nice combo is enter shroud when they cast sword3 to absorb the damage and fear them the moment the animation ends, then exec scythe and burst. You can also just precast exec scythe so that it lands the moment sword3 ends. This saves infusing terror but does require good timing. So it's more for the advanced reapers.

@KrHome.1920 said:

The harder you can press them on offense (meaning don't attack into their defensive CDs- infusing light, staff block, staff evade, sword 3 evade, etc.) the more they need to spend their energy on defensive cooldowns, the less energy they have left for dealing damage to you. Weakness neuters their burst, blind can cause them to waste 30+ energy completely, and chill can screw up their defensive rotations which in turn gives you better windows to apply pressure. Long CCs are the best of all, because each of their stunbreaks pretty much wipes out their energy reserves. Land 2 CCs in <10s and they're a sitting duck.The smart revs run cleansing sigil in wvw so that cc condis are close to useless since rev is a class that swaps weapons on cooldown to reset the energy pool.

So the best strategy is just pressure them hard and stow weapon the moment infuse light is popped.

Fun Fact: most power shiros manage to get a higher chill uptime on me than I can do on them.

A nice combo is enter shroud when they cast sword3 to absorb the damage and fear them the moment the animation ends, then exec scythe and burst. You can also just precast exec scythe so that it lands the moment sword3 ends. This saves infusing terror but does require good timing. So it's more for the advanced reapers.

You swap legends for energy, not weapons. Kind of a moot point though since I'm pretty sure sigils trigger on legend swap too lol

Best way to pressure a Rev is CC, force them to spend their energy on stunbreaks instead of letting them pressure you back.

Try reaper, the chill uptime is much stronger than anything a Rev can put out. Especially with curses and oh dagger for the blind. My go to for Rev sw3 is dodge, shroud, 2. As soon as their sw3 ends they get hit with a blind, chill, vuln (with spite), and 2 corrupts, which stops their followup sw4 or sw2 dead in its tracks. Since sw3 gives the Rev might you have a good chance to corrupt it to weakness as well