Is heart of thorns meant to feel this hard as a new player? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Is heart of thorns meant to feel this hard as a new player?

The leap in difficulty from the personal story to heart of thorns is insane... forgive me for complaining here but this is kitten near unenjoyable.. I wish there was some kind of difficulty setting for instances because I just want to experience the story without feeling like i'm being completely crushed by everything

<13456

Comments

  • Etria.3642Etria.3642 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Just ask a friend to join you.

  • @zaswer.5246 said:
    Its true that now it is easyer than before but its also true that the dificulty scales too much from a player that has just finished core game story , also a lot of hero points need people to play together to get it, i understand it gives 10 hp instead of 1 and so it must be more chalenging but i dont thibk its well done if you need people or having clases like ranger or nigro that have pets to help, its open world in the end if one wants difficulty there are fractals , raid and pvp modes to play hardcore

    Hahahaha not even close to being the same but ok

  • hlaraujo.3210hlaraujo.3210 Member ✭✭

    HoT is hard, although not as hard as it once was as some have said, specially because it was indeed a leap in difficulty from previous content. But I think is one of the best concept Anet came up with lore wise. The maps are a complete mess as they were supposed to be, there are strong enemies coming from everywhere at all times, which gives a feeling of neverending disorder, chaos and a bit of a challenge, as you would expect from going into a territory that is literally a living elder dragon. Said that, I can see as it can be overwhelming for new players who are not familiar with their classes and game mechanics and I acknowledge the game doesn't do much to help you with it. My advice is get someone to join you and/or get better equip and get more familiarized with your class and its mechanics. Also, try not to go for pre-made builds, specially if they are glass canons, try to mix and match with your specializations for a confortable point of damage and survivability.

    HA HA HA, no.

  • Taril.8619Taril.8619 Member ✭✭✭

    Heart of Thorns isn't too bad.

    It does however, introduce a few enemies whom are pure evil incarnate.

    Mordrem Snipers like to do like a bajillion damage and then when you try and kill them, they go invisible. While still shooting you. Still invisible.

    The vine tendril things also like to screw over melee because lul-1-shot-you attacks where they whirl around and do like 10 bajillion damage.

    Then there's also the Mordrem Stalkers, who also like to do about a bajillion damage. They also like to stealth around and stab you in the butt when you least expect it and if you try and kill them they're all like "lol" EVADE EVADE EVADE EVADE STEALTH STAB YOU IN THE FACE

    Every other enemy is not worth talking about because they're just as easy as anything from Core Tyria. Those 3 though, you have to learn to prioritize taking them out and using your entire kit to murder their face whenever you see them otherwise you'll end up on the floor.

    Cat: Meow.

  • lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Taril.8619 said:
    Heart of Thorns isn't too bad.

    It does however, introduce a few enemies whom are pure evil incarnate.

    Mordrem Snipers like to do like a bajillion damage and then when you try and kill them, they go invisible. While still shooting you. Still invisible.

    The vine tendril things also like to screw over melee because lul-1-shot-you attacks where they whirl around and do like 10 bajillion damage.

    Then there's also the Mordrem Stalkers, who also like to do about a bajillion damage. They also like to stealth around and stab you in the butt when you least expect it and if you try and kill them they're all like "lol" EVADE EVADE EVADE EVADE STEALTH STAB YOU IN THE FACE

    Every other enemy is not worth talking about because they're just as easy as anything from Core Tyria. Those 3 though, you have to learn to prioritize taking them out and using your entire kit to murder their face whenever you see them otherwise you'll end up on the floor.

    Two words: Pocket Raptors ;)

    (the trick here is to spam AoEs, but if you can't they can rip you appart fast)

    Why bother, just delete the official Forum.

  • Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Taril.8619 said:

    @lokh.2695 said:

    @Taril.8619 said:
    Heart of Thorns isn't too bad.

    It does however, introduce a few enemies whom are pure evil incarnate.

    Mordrem Snipers like to do like a bajillion damage and then when you try and kill them, they go invisible. While still shooting you. Still invisible.

    The vine tendril things also like to screw over melee because lul-1-shot-you attacks where they whirl around and do like 10 bajillion damage.

    Then there's also the Mordrem Stalkers, who also like to do about a bajillion damage. They also like to stealth around and stab you in the butt when you least expect it and if you try and kill them they're all like "lol" EVADE EVADE EVADE EVADE STEALTH STAB YOU IN THE FACE

    Every other enemy is not worth talking about because they're just as easy as anything from Core Tyria. Those 3 though, you have to learn to prioritize taking them out and using your entire kit to murder their face whenever you see them otherwise you'll end up on the floor.

    Two words: Pocket Raptors ;)

    (the trick here is to spam AoEs, but if you can't they can rip you appart fast)

    Yeah, also honourable mention to Bristlebacks, when they do that channel that seems to do about 500x your max health in damage and lasts for 3 days and you can't stop because they have a fat breakbar and they track you with it.

    Gosh they're fun. /s

    (However, if you have access to projectile reflect...)

    You know its funny i have no issues with any of those mobs, but i do have issues with frogs. gawd i hate the frogs.

    Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

  • Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭

    HoT can be difficult. Take your time learn the attacks for what ever it is that you are trying to fight. Learning the enemies tells are a big part. You actually need to know when to dodge and when you can absorb the hit. These are things that you don't really need to do in the personal story / core tyria. Try not to draw multiple things in at once unless you are simply trying to get through the area. Also make sure you have people with you for the Hero Points some of them are especially tough in HoT. Don't forget about upgrading your armor to exotic if you haven't already and maybe try and find an open world build that fits your style.

    Stay safe and watch your ankles for those pesky ankle biting pocket raptors.... I hate even thinking about those things especially during the pre-mount days.

                                                              There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you
    
  • Oogabooga.3812Oogabooga.3812 Member ✭✭✭

    It is a big leap in difficulty, especially for solo PvE players. You now have to contend with high condition damage, getting hard CC’d, facing mobs of these creatures, and multi-level tiers of maze-like maps. Almost none of the hero points are solo-able.

    The main adjustment is to do things with other players, even the story.

  • Solanum.6983Solanum.6983 Member ✭✭✭

    First time playing it I too thought it was a lot more difficult than what I was used to at the time.
    What I did was I actually jumped ahead to the first Part of Path of Fire just to get the Raptor unlocked and then went back. It helped a tonne.

  • Timbersword.9014Timbersword.9014 Member ✭✭✭

    Like others have said, make sure you gear is up to snuff, and your build isn't kitten. You can to a search on the trade post for some exotics and runes. They're not as pricey as you would expect, just make sure you're getting the right ones. Next, look into metabattle if you're not interested in discovering your own builds.

    But at the end of the day, you are going to have to learn what your abilities do (it's time to REALLY grasp the text in each tooltip,) the value of your traits, the usage of boons and conditions, and know when to simply evade. You can't just mindlessly spam through your weapon bar abilities with all signets on your right bar outside of core (I was guilty as charged until I raced into PoF for my mounts.) In some cases you might even have to change your build based on what you're fighting, like if the bulk of your DPS is burn damage, you're not going to do so hot against anything with burn immunity, pun intended.

  • Super Hayes.6890Super Hayes.6890 Member ✭✭✭✭

    My friend tried HoT recently after completing the core story. He got angry and took a break for a few weeks. He is trying again but it definately affected him negatively. A re-work of some of the core story that incorporates build and equipment training would help soften the HoT shock (which does exist for new players btw.)

    The next time you get angry at someone try walking a mile in their shoes. After that, who cares! You're a mile away and you have their shoes! -Someone with more awesome quotes than me

  • Sorem.9157Sorem.9157 Member ✭✭✭

    OH GOD THE VETERAN BRISTLEBACKS

    UGH THE BONEBREAKERS

    THE NIGHMARES

  • Luthan.5236Luthan.5236 Member ✭✭✭✭

    For me it wasn't that hard. I play engineer though and tried the scrapper (elite spec that was released first - so supposed to use it in HoT I guess) which helped a lot. Story instances the Stavemaster Aryn boss was super annoying.

    Besides that only some things that kept you from rushing through the map - when mobs attacked and hit you hard while you just tried to move past without killing them. (Stealth gryo from scrapper helped me a lot here.) Later with mounts (nowadays people get them ... at least raptor ... first) it seemed a lot easier in Auric Basin for example. (Moving fast and ignoring the pocket raptors ha ha.)

  • Super Hayes.6890Super Hayes.6890 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Westenev.5289 said:
    Enjoy the frustration and exploration of HoT while it lasts. Once you scale over the difficulty spike, there isn't really any challenge in the game anymore.

    So true

    The next time you get angry at someone try walking a mile in their shoes. After that, who cares! You're a mile away and you have their shoes! -Someone with more awesome quotes than me

  • XatraZaytrax.2601XatraZaytrax.2601 Member ✭✭✭

    The only ones I hate are the snipers. They seem to have an unnatural ability to get you no matter how you move, their trails last a long time, and then if you face many .... ugggg.

    Use to hate the smoke dogs until someone pointed out how to easily best them. Wish I would have known sooner.

    Maybe it is a bit harder, but you learn which enemies to run past -- looking at you mushrooms -- cause they aren't worth fighting, and which are worth taking on

  • I remember back when the Mordrem first appeared in Tyria; and leading up to the release of the Silverwastes – it was the biggest learning curve for every player, it was almost a matter of re-thinking old tactics, and interrupts and knockbacks became vital for the first time in PvE scenarios. It was absolutely amazing.

    I've only returned (computer issues, but by god this game is still the best mmo on the market) since the Silverwastes release and I noticed either the mobs are easier, I've retained all of that muscle memory, or they've been nerfed somewhat. I suspect it's a bit of all three.

  • Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Obliviscaris.6937 said:
    I remember back when the Mordrem first appeared in Tyria; and leading up to the release of the Silverwastes – it was the biggest learning curve for every player, it was almost a matter of re-thinking old tactics, and interrupts and knockbacks became vital for the first time in PvE scenarios. It was absolutely amazing.

    I've only returned (computer issues, but by god this game is still the best mmo on the market) since the Silverwastes release and I noticed either the mobs are easier, I've retained all of that muscle memory, or they've been nerfed somewhat. I suspect it's a bit of all three.

    They where nerfed. There was a mass of feedback when HOT came out and it mostly negative, some of enemies still exist unchanged, but for the most part it was reduced(Note, the nerfs where done before the expansion was even out for the most part.) I do believe they got nerfed later on as well.

    Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

  • Rogue.8235Rogue.8235 Member ✭✭✭

    I initially thought it wsa hard. However, one key change has made the maps so much easier to deal with. Don't rush around the place. You can't skip mobs in the jungle. If you carefully trek through the map, neutralizing any threats you come across, it gets so much easier. What instakills you is when mobs stack up against you, which is very liekely if you rush around.

    This is assuming that you have an effective build (gear included). If you don't, then I agree with everyone else. That is where you start. Your build needs to be balanced in the jungle. You need to be ready for any situation.

    Side note, rushing through on a raptor could lead to some hilarious moments. I jumped through some brush and found myself with enough air time to question the poor decisions that led me to falling 789230147891074389201752305 miles to the ground. A truly self-reflective moment.

    "The ancient Oracle said I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone, of all the Greeks, know that I know nothing." -Socrates
    "Victorious warriors win first, then go to war. Defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win."-Sun Tzu

  • Obliviscaris.6937Obliviscaris.6937 Member ✭✭
    edited May 7, 2020

    @Dante.1763 said:

    @Obliviscaris.6937 said:
    I remember back when the Mordrem first appeared in Tyria; and leading up to the release of the Silverwastes – it was the biggest learning curve for every player, it was almost a matter of re-thinking old tactics, and interrupts and knockbacks became vital for the first time in PvE scenarios. It was absolutely amazing.

    I've only returned (computer issues, but by god this game is still the best mmo on the market) since the Silverwastes release and I noticed either the mobs are easier, I've retained all of that muscle memory, or they've been nerfed somewhat. I suspect it's a bit of all three.

    They where nerfed. There was a mass of feedback when HOT came out and it mostly negative, some of enemies still exist unchanged, but for the most part it was reduced(Note, the nerfs where done before the expansion was even out for the most part.) I do believe they got nerfed later on as well.

    That's kind of a shame.
    I suppose this was when the Souls series was at it's peak, so this kind of gameplay was thrilling, but niche, so I can understand it, seeing as new player now has the option of being funnelled to HoT, and past the Personal Story which is essentially a 'How to play' tutorial from 1-80.

    Still a shame, nevertheless.

  • Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Just make sure you have aoe burst ready for raptors and stay very, very far away from Bristlebacks. The Mordrem are really annoying and punishing, but you will soon learn their patterns and they shouldn't be a problem anymore unless you're hopelessly outnumbered. Chak can be tricky, you need the mastery to not get fully decimated by them. Luckily they die rather quickly.

    All in all the first expansion is a HUGE leap from the base game, which has been proven to be beatable using only a ranger pet and never a single skill, lol.

    I rather choose death.

  • thepenmonster.3621thepenmonster.3621 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2020

    @DisabledVelociraptor.7865 said:
    The leap in difficulty from the personal story to heart of thorns is insane... forgive me for complaining here ...

    Complaining is why the forums exist!

    But before you consider uninstalling, take a look around at the other players in the jungle: No one is walking. Everyone is on their mount and racing past the mobs and it ain't because they're in a hurry to see Lord Faren. Well, maybe. He's adorkable. But the point is that even the super elite vets still find the maps hard enough that they don't want to get caught out. You're not alone in finding the jungle tough.

    Landscape- Avoid what you can. Even if you do become a super elite vet it's usually not worth the time it takes to clear out a horde of pocket raptors. Take your time with everything else. As the game ages you'll find yourself alone trying to retake a pact control point more often than not. Try to peel off some of the mobs from the group. Hit and run tactics. Consider yourself the Predator and the mordrem a group of 1980s muscle-heads with machine guns.

    Story- Don't rush in and try to solo cull. Let Rytlock and the gang draw the aggro first. Dragon's Watch are your meat shields. The "take your time" advice hold true here too.

    I feel this is important so allcaps- JOIN AN HP TRAIN. Not only will your friendly commander show you the how to get through the jungle and help you get "swole", a good commander will keep you informed all the way through. Especially if you admit that you're a newbie to the map. Being surrounded by folks who have done it before will be that helping hand you need. Once you make your way to the opposite end of the map you'll probably be feeling a lot better about your ability to handle things.

    Good luck and remember: You ain't got time to bleed.

    The Commander will end you.

  • otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Rogue.4756 said:
    HoT was never hard. Perhaps you're playing above your experience level.

    It depends. Many hero point are not soloable or would require extremely specific builds. Same for events. It is a major difficulty hike over anything before it.

    Is it hard for a veteran player? No.

  • Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

    In a word: Yes.
    But, good news: they've toned it down significantly since launch.

    If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

  • RUNICBLACK.7630RUNICBLACK.7630 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2020

    Yes HoT was harder when it was first released, and while it isn't as tough as before it is still a place that you need to pay attention to your surroundings and avoid triggering to many adds if you can. All that being said you should really also start looking at your gear in that you are much better off making sure you have fully exotic gear (some rares as long as they aren't major amounts of stats like a chest piece or amulet and no greens or blues) and also check your traits out to make sure that they really help you on the damage and sustain at least until you get your footing.
    And make sure you don't to far ahead of yourself , Verdant Brink is rough and Auric Basin is somewhat tougher , Tangled Depths messes players up alot because you can turned around easily and also it tougher still, while Dragon Stand while tough you are generally going to be in there with a squad.

    Life before Death
    Strength before Weakness
    Journey before Destination
    stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Immortal_Words

  • Mortifera.6138Mortifera.6138 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2020

    It was meant to be played with groups (more than one person taking down a mob), but the player base has moved on, as it’s no longer the latest content.

  • ShadowCatz.8437ShadowCatz.8437 Member ✭✭
    edited May 8, 2020

    @Etria.3642 said:
    Just ask a friend to join you.

    @DisabledVelociraptor.7865
    Better option is to call out in map chat. There is always somebody that also need that Mastery, Event or Hero Challenge, so it shouldn't be to hard to find somebody that help you with those. Look in LFG if somebody are planning to do meta or event. You can also look up GW2Timer for when main event chain is happening.

    https://gw2timer.com/?page=Chains

    Use gear that have stats that work together. Condition damage and some expertise (for duration) helps a lot in a hostile environment where you need to avoid take damage or get hit from conditions yourself. Power is best for burst damage (but need a couple more attributes to get there), might (boon that boost both power and condi damage) are all good option to invest in for gear. Traiblazer have more defense and there are other four stat/attributes that might help you to survive better. Don't use a pure Berserker attribute (only have power, precision and ferocity as attributes - glass canon) as you then lack defence and have no real time to avoid taking damage, if you can't apply CC during that time. It depends on your profession and what you have access to what is best for you. But in general HoT you need time to learn what is what and it is best to go on defence until you know what to expect and can manage your cooldowns and control what damage you can take without getting killed.

    Always have soft CC and hard CC independent on build as you will want to take down break bars. Soft CC is typically Blind, Chill and what you have access from as conditions (not all conditions do damage, but is still important). Hard CC often have long cooldown or cost (energy) and come often from skills on your bar. The are also limited to single target or up to five targets (Mesmer have access to Daze which can be traited to hit five from shattering as an example).

    Condi is a good option when you need to avoid damage and at same time do damage on target. Direct damage (power) is better to combo with a lot of CC types, but that is hard to use when some enemies can go into stealth (de-target) a lot. You will over time learn their attack pattern and can avoid the worse part of it, but don't let enemies be able to put a target over you head (use invis if you have Mesmer, LB Ranger or Thieves among other professions have access to go into Stealth). Pick skills that cleanse (remove condition), apply chill (slow down targets attack and movement), torment (condition that does more damage the more target moves) are also a good option. And never pull too many enemies at once. That is the ground rule for HoT. Stay alert and keep the number for enemies that you know about in reasonable control.

    Go for more vitality (increase health pool and give some more time to react or cleanse condition). Reflects are also good for ranged attack that are projectiles. Have some AoE or cleave (can hit more then one target).

    Make sure to get your Gliding Mastery fully upgraded as you then can jump away from damage or change path with less enemies targeting you and combine it with mushroom jumping etc. You will feel that HoT is not that difficult when you have more tools like this to get around.

    After looking at that video above I would just add that there is some creatures (like Tangle Depths) that use a special kind of Conditions that you can not cleanse with normal tools, until you get that Mastery which you use to dodge to cleanse that poison (purple icon) where you have your other boon and conditions. There is also one Hero Challenge where you need to glide down and interact while you take damage from this special poison. Don't try to get this done until you have open that Mastery as is will be frustrating to try to do this as you can not move out of that poison or out heal its damage. There are certain things that work in this way in this game and the only way to deal with it is to get the Mastery you need.

    As for gear: there are some gear that you can buy for Karma, so you shouldn't have too much trouble to find exotic gear, if you have been playing in core Tyria before you went to HoT maps.

  • mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @DisabledVelociraptor.7865 said:
    The leap in difficulty from the personal story to heart of thorns is insane... forgive me for complaining here but this is kitten near unenjoyable.. I wish there was some kind of difficulty setting for instances because I just want to experience the story without feeling like i'm being completely crushed by everything

    I think most of us have felt this way when we first get that slap in the face that is HoT's difficulty. It's particularly rough if you did not play Season 2 where there was a slightly more gradual ramp in the difficulty curve as @Randulf.7614 pointed out.

    In order to give you better advice than the lazy "just bring a friend" meme:
    1.What class are you playing?
    2.Would you share your build with us?
    3. What kind of gear do you have on?
    4. Did you find the core Personal Story challenging in any way?
    5. Have you played Season 2?

    Build and gear play a very big part in your performance in this game. Having a build with a few synergies in it can make the encounters MUCH easier.
    Give us an idea of what you are running and I am sure you will have a half dozen people offering you more targeted advice than the tired cliche of "bring other people".

  • @Mortifera.6138 said:
    It was meant to be played with groups (more than one person taking down a mob), but the player base has moved on, as it’s no longer the latest content.

    In one way you are right and in another you a wrong. Yes a lot can be done when there is a group or zerg around, but as always when there is a disorganised groups (even player that aren't grouped up with party or squad tool - those called PUGs). It reduces the number of active NPCs that are hostile or can turn hostile when there is more players around.

    To illustrate this five player have a skill that each can hit 5 targets. Meaning 25 targets can be hit so each player don't need that much damage kill a mob of 25 targets. With only one player around it would be overwhelming to keep up with cooldowns and to have enough damage to kill the same amount of targets. There is also synergies that you lack when there is only one player or two player around (as boon sharing often have a limited range) and blasting combo fields need some coordination to be useful.

    Add to this the environmental damage from vines casting ranged poison projectiles and those big rolling creatures that can knock down (or interrupt skills), then things get more complicated. There have also been changes to Stability (boon) which could reduce the impact of CCs from creatures which in turn make this harder to avoid.

    Our damage have also been reduced or changed in general from when HoT where released until today which also make it harder for new player to do the same thing which the first generation that entered HoT maps have done when there was more players around, they had more base damage and they where hunting for rewards. I don't know how our healing have changed since then, but it also have en impact on how maps feels when you suddenly have to deal with a large damage spikes. Most older player only go there now to farm for some weapon collection, mats or do some "easy" event chains. They don't stay in these maps which also force maps to create new empty maps when they leave for next event chain in other maps like PoF or Ice brood Saga.

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2020

    @Obliviscaris.6937 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:

    @Obliviscaris.6937 said:
    I remember back when the Mordrem first appeared in Tyria; and leading up to the release of the Silverwastes – it was the biggest learning curve for every player, it was almost a matter of re-thinking old tactics, and interrupts and knockbacks became vital for the first time in PvE scenarios. It was absolutely amazing.

    I've only returned (computer issues, but by god this game is still the best mmo on the market) since the Silverwastes release and I noticed either the mobs are easier, I've retained all of that muscle memory, or they've been nerfed somewhat. I suspect it's a bit of all three.

    They where nerfed. There was a mass of feedback when HOT came out and it mostly negative, some of enemies still exist unchanged, but for the most part it was reduced(Note, the nerfs where done before the expansion was even out for the most part.) I do believe they got nerfed later on as well.

    That's kind of a shame.
    I suppose this was when the Souls series was at it's peak, so this kind of gameplay was thrilling, but niche, so I can understand it, seeing as new player now has the option of being funnelled to HoT, and past the Personal Story which is essentially a 'How to play' tutorial from 1-80.

    Still a shame, nevertheless.

    The Silverwastes mobs were nerfed heavily with the release of Heart of Thorns, which made the jump from Season 2 to Heart of Thorns even worse for newer players

    Mordrem Wolves used to 1-shot players when hitting from behind or the sides, it was essential to kill them fast, use crowd control, or don't let them flank you. And unlike Pocket Raptors they had loads of health. Further, they tend to attack in groups AND on top of that use Retaliation, so you kill yourself if you use area of effect skills to kill a lot of them at once. Their damage was nerfed so much that they no longer deal much more damage when flanking and instead of Retaliation they use Swiftness... yes they have a 2 second cast skill that provides them Swiftness. If you want to remember the "good old days" of the Mordrem Wolves go to Iron Marches, there is a Veteran Mordrem Wolf there that uses the old mechanics, probably some developer forgot to nerf that one. They made Pocket Raptors look like jokes, but alas they are no longer available and players still hate the Pocket Raptors instead

    Then we got Mordrem Thrashers. Those spinning vines that leave a trail of poison, cripple and torment. Initially they were invulnerable unless you hit them from behind, as they were evading every attack from all other sides. So you had to let them spin towards you, evade them, and hit them from behind, from the poison/torment area. But they were teaching players positioning and how to avoid well telegraphed attacks. Yet to this day you see players being hit by things like charging mushrooms. How did they nerf these? Simple, they removed their evasion while spinning, they are vulnerable from anywhere.

    A more light version was the beetle. The beetle was invulnerable from the front too, so you had to let them charge, then sidestep and attack from the side or the back while they were recovering. Or use crowd control on them (they flipped over) which also made them vulnerable. There was that event in Dry Top that required collecting trash from beetles, it was fun watching all the players auto attacking the beetles and doing no damage. Just like the Thrasher, they removed the invulnerability from the front so they are just "regular" mobs now.

    With so many mobs that were invulnerable and required some thought process to deal with, it was surprising that so many players had issues with Smokescales, which, just like those older mobs, have an "invulnerability" phase too. Not to mention, compared to the older powerful mobs, Heart of Thorns mobs have no health, Pocket Raptors die if you sneeze at them, and Smokescales die with a single hit from a Thief Backstab. I believe it's mostly because those mobs appeared only in Dry Top and Silverwastes, which were mostly done in big squads, so those in in-vulnerabilities were hardly felt by a lot of players. They saw mobs getting killed and thought they were doing something to them, when it reality they weren't doing anything.

    This turned longer than expected, but it's good to remember how things used to be and how people call Heart of Thorns mobs "hard" as if they never fought the original Mordrem.

  • battledrone.8315battledrone.8315 Member ✭✭✭

    yea, they would prolly be better off if they removed it from the story and just made it a endgame instance for farming.
    i remember the mass exodus when they released it, it wasnt pretty.
    if you unlock springer first , it will be MUCH easier. and of course, you have to change your toons...both gear and build.
    in other words: you cant play the way, you used to

  • Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭

    It can be hard for a new player. But in time when you return with knowledge, gear and skill you will probably appreciate the difficulty and that everything doesn't just die in a second. Makes the maps more engaging.
    Even most if not all hero points can actually be soloed if tackled correctly. For now don't be afraid to ask for help.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Rogue.8235 said:
    I initially thought it wsa hard. However, one key change has made the maps so much easier to deal with. Don't rush around the place. You can't skip mobs in the jungle. If you carefully trek through the map, neutralizing any threats you come across, it gets so much easier. What instakills you is when mobs stack up against you, which is very liekely if you rush around.

    That's now. At launch, the mob density was bigger and the respawn rates were faster. It was easy to aggro a new mob just bu dodging the attack from the current one. And of course aggro ranges of HoT mobs are bigger than those from core (although still smaller than those of PoF mobs).

    This is assuming that you have an effective build (gear included). If you don't, then I agree with everyone else. That is where you start. Your build needs to be balanced in the jungle. You need to be ready for any situation.

    Not balanced, actually. HoT was where the balanced builds stopped being useful - you needed to get all offense, because if you weren't killing opponents fast enough, you'd get swamped in them very, very fast. The best strategies on dealing with enemies in HoT all revolve around the concept of overkill.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • Rogue.4756Rogue.4756 Member ✭✭✭

    @otto.5684 said:

    @Rogue.4756 said:
    HoT was never hard. Perhaps you're playing above your experience level.

    It depends. Many hero point are not soloable or would require extremely specific builds. Same for events. It is a major difficulty hike over anything before it.

    Is it hard for a veteran player? No.

    Mostly no. I have soloed all hero points except the Balthazar hp. I imagine there are plenty of players way better than myself who can even solo that one. I'm not a great player and I solo ALL of gw2.

  • frareanselm.1925frareanselm.1925 Member ✭✭✭

    I play since the beginning, and I've to say Hot is a lot harder than core unless you run a condi build. The thing is most mordrem mobs hit like a truck, so if you wear a glass cannon it can be frustrating.