State of the current Ranger ?

bullseye.9573

I'm a returning player .I've always liked bows and pets so leaning towards ranger

I'm looking to do mainly PvP and WvWvW but I'm also looking to do world content and fractals and raids.

What's the current state of the ranger ?On the pve subject are they wanted in group ? Are they only wanted with a specific build ? The most rangers I see are druid in groups .

On the PvP subject what are the viable options?

Best regards

It's great in all game modes. You have multiple viable builds in spvp, just don't try to make druid work. Druid can be great in PvE, but has been gradually nerfed into uselessness in PvP.

Soulbeast is great as either condi or power in both PvE and PvP.

In WvW, you'll just be roaming on your ranger. The prof does great in small skirmishes/duels.

As a ranger main since 2012, it's honestly a great time to play.

WvW / Pvp it depends on how you want to play.

If in WvW you are interested in playing mainly as Roamer or in small Ranger groups it will be fine if instead you are interested in playing in Blobs or in organized guild groups Ranger will not even be taken into consideration.

In Pvp a similar reasoning must be done, if you want to play in solo or with a friend, Ranger will be fine. But if you want to participate in tournaments made up of 5-player teams then it is better to play some other profession.

@Revolution.5409 said:WvW / Pvp it depends on how you want to play.

If in WvW you are interested in playing mainly as Roamer or in small Ranger groups it will be fine if instead you are interested in playing in Blobs or in organized guild groups Ranger will not even be taken into consideration.

In Pvp a similar reasoning must be done, if you want to play in solo or with a friend, Ranger will be fine. But if you want to participate in tournaments made up of 5-player teams then it is better to play some other profession.

Why doesn't the ranger have a place in organized groups ? Either pvp or pve ...On the last thing you said. I've seen some teams in AT and plenty had a ranger on their team

@bullseye.9573 said:

Why doesn't the ranger have a place in organized groups ? Either pvp or pve ...On the last thing you said. I've seen some teams in AT and plenty had a ranger on their team

I am not referring to Pve, in Pve every profession has usable Builds and therefore it is fine.

Ranger is a profession that focuses mainly on 1vs1 so it has few Aoe skills and the pet is a problem in team fights, having a mechanic who cannot dodge Aoe and who can easily die in group fights is the most problem great of this profession, for this reason most groups prefer to use professions that do not have these mechanical problems.

EDIT:Now that the Ranger Knight Build has been removed and some pets are weakened, I don't think there will be more Rangers in the tournaments.

@"bullseye.9573" said:Any build you recommend for leveling ?what traits should i pick early on and stuff like that

Use this post as a reference for the best pets.https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/60261/essential-pets-for-a-versatile-ranger#latest

I advise you to level using LB and GS and invest the points in Beastmastery and Marksman in order to maximize the damage of the pet and the character, Ranger does not need any special defensive skills because the pet can be used as a tank.In case you need defensive skills invest in WS.This Build is a great reference:https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Ranger_-_Longbow_Beastmastery

@"bullseye.9573" said:Why doesn't the ranger have a place in organized groups ? Either pvp or pve ...In WvW Ranger doesnt have a place in groups not because of it's kit but because the vast majority of Rangers who squad up are so utterly bad and have made a complete meme of the class.Ranger can bring more to a group than many open squad zerglings do. The problem is the vast majority who join squads are absolutely awful, bring nothing to the squad and often play so poorly that it's addition by subtraction.It's the go-to class for players who think that getting carried in a zerg to their GoB is a relevant contribution.It's not Firebrand or Scrapper, but the class itself can bring a few good things to a group.But good luck getting anyone to realize that.... there's a dozen rangers in front of you in soldier's gear using a grizzly who think that LB5 while standing from a wall is "helping".

@Revolution.5409 said:

Why doesn't the ranger have a place in organized groups ? Either pvp or pve ...On the last thing you said. I've seen some teams in AT and plenty had a ranger .

EDIT:Now that the Ranger Knight Build has been removed and some pets are weakened, I don't think there will be more Rangers in the tournaments.

Complete nonsense and hyperbole.

@mistsim.2748 said:

Why doesn't the ranger have a place in organized groups ? Either pvp or pve ...On the last thing you said. I've seen some teams in AT and plenty had a ranger .

You might want to use a dictionary on the word "hyperbole". Even if the person was blatantly wrong, their statement and wording doesn't match any of the things you used to describe it.

You can do anything in PvE as ranger, there are some viable spvp ranger builds....as for WvW...you'll mostly be roaming on ranger. Majority of commanders still have it in their heads, that Rangers are not VIABLE for large scale groups, and we're usually relegated as a footnote. Even though there is viable ranger builds for pvp for backline combat for the group....majority of commanders have either made their assumption that ranger's are useless or their too lazy to attempt to play ranger in WvW and figure out how to integrate them. The first class usually to be kicked from the group in WvW, will be the ranger.

@Dahkeus.8243 said:

You might want to use a dictionary on the word "hyperbole". Even if the person was blatantly wrong, their statement and wording doesn't match any of the things you used to describe it.

Complete nonsense and exaggeration.

@Revolution.5409 said:

Is it wrong to have an opinion different from yours?

I'm shredding core rangers in high plat with my condi SB build. I can duel better, +1 better, support better, teamfight better. It's better in every way.

It is ok to have misguided opinions.

@mistsim.2748 said:

Is it wrong to have an opinion different from yours?

I'm shredding core rangers in high plat with my condi SB build. I can duel better, +1 better, support better, teamfight better. It's better in every way.

It is ok to have misguided opinions.

And what would this have to do with what we are talking about?We are talking about tournaments, and the only Ranger build used at this time was the Knight Ranger, that you have a build that can destroy Core Ranger after the patch, is irrelevant in this discussion.The synergy between some professions, the unique skills that other professions have and the ability to coordinate make Ranger always a second choice in tournaments.

@mistsim.2748 said:I'm shredding core rangers in high plat with my condi SB build. I can duel better, +1 better, support better, teamfight better. It's better in every way.It is ok to have misguided opinions.Yet no video proof, it kinda seems disingenuous and i still think you are being carried by your team. Either way i see a lot of condi trapper rangers in ranked so i guess there is something i'm not seeing or just trying to hop in the condi wandbagon.

I still like better Power variant as it does better damage so it can pressure on point better to defend or to conquest.

Answering to the OP.Ranger is fine in PvP, the last nerfs didn't impact much the build used.Pve is fine too although you will be just a boon bot in raids with the druid and spirits.

WvW you have no real use. Roaming is dead from very long time ago and even then there are classes much better equipped for squads. I share mindcircus opinion thou, as ranger you can provide more to the team in random zerglings if you know your class. But still not wanted because most of the ranger playerbase don't care to improve.

@"mindcircus.1506" said:In WvW Ranger doesnt have a place in groups not because of it's kit but because the vast majority of Rangers who squad up are so utterly bad and have made a complete meme of the class.Ranger can bring more to a group than many open squad zerglings do. The problem is the vast majority who join squads are absolutely awful, bring nothing to the squad and often play so poorly that it's addition by subtraction.It's the go-to class for players who think that getting carried in a zerg to their GoB is a relevant contribution.It's not Firebrand or Scrapper, but the class itself can bring a few good things to a group.But good luck getting anyone to realize that.... there's a dozen rangers in front of you in soldier's gear using a grizzly who think that LB5 while standing from a wall is "helping".

Ranger has many builds for all game modes. Both condi and power.The only place where we're (still) not wanted is organized WvW large scale zergs for many reasons.

For Group PvE You have Power, Condi and even a Hybrid version. Also Druid for healing/support.Power: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAgeFlZw2YgsLmJWuX7P/R8G-zRIYR0xXG1mCVUB2OLRssB-eCondi: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POABg+djlZwkYWsPmJW6O3P3JkC-zRJYmRP/YEPF6UB+mFePrA-eHybrid (Combined dps ~40% power/ ~60% condi): http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POFBcihflZwAZSsPmJW6X/P/RcE-zRJYmRPfZEXKUZFI+HJI2DvltOrA-eHybrid build in dps test/additional info in description below:

Druid: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEY6MsMBmCDhlwIxSVyrZVyxyB-zRRYQBJoG1c9lR1pQ6VgvzifbWA-e

For Open World i can suggest my personal two builds that i run, i mostly run the power version.Personal Condi variant: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAV4fnE8Cd8il8CO8Cs8iFDBLv62dDvNdgUXVjJAM6KdTIF-jByBQBxUJ4FuIAMd/BA8AA2nuhFq+jFOCAbU5HpAMTZF-ePersonal Power variant: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlZwuYRsHmJWsX7P9R8G-zRIYRUxXKNlAhVAZGB9GCqNL/usB-e

For PvP i can't comment as i rarely pvp but when i do i run a power build. Note i do not play ranked, have not played it since i got my leggy back piece.Power: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAMxflFw6YgsHGKeSXXP7BkA-z5IeKZKE6WEkwCokJgGGAAnother core ranger version is available from Metabattle: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Ranger_-_Power_SurvivalCan't comment on condi, i've seen some, but i don't know the build so someone else might help with that.

For WvW i run a plethora of builds. Mostly of what i feel like at the current time. I am a roamer though so for the most part my builds are selfish and not group oriented.I will leave armor stat combinations out of it as you can run the classic full Marauder + Durability runes setup and adjust the tanky-nes or glassy-nes as you see fit to your playstyle.WvW Sic' Em Soulbeast: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlFUw6qbgBuneGameSXrv7UmuAHgE-eWvW Core Ranger: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlZUw6qbhBOv8GaoOePpr1UgsAvnG-eWvW Boon Beast: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlFUw6qbRFtneGaoeaTmvzUgsgHUE-eWvW Long Range Marksman: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlZkx6qbg5tneGamO0X7P9UKAyp9G-eWvW Long Range Skirmisher: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlRkx6qbg5tnemZmWsX7P9UKwBI/G-eWvW Pull Beast: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAweNlFUw6qbgBuneGameSXXP7UgUipLA-ePets, armor and even weapon sets can be adjusted to your liking.I do not play condi or druid in wvw, but i've seen some nasty setups that generate a lot of immobilize.WvW Condi Druid: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAUxjlFw6YesF2JWKPpt6RMH-e have experimented with this setup and while it is somewhat fun it lacks any form of stability to really be good. It is quite annoying due to the sheer amount of immobilize it can dish out.

Hope this helps you to find something you'd want to play. Don't be dismayed by people criticizing Ranger, it does have shortcomings, some builds work better in certain situations than others but despite everything it is in the best state it has been since launch.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@mistsim.2748 said:I'm shredding core rangers in high plat with my condi SB build. I can duel better, +1 better, support better, teamfight better. It's better in every way.It is ok to have misguided opinions.Yet no video proof, it kinda seems disingenuous and i still think you are being carried by your team. Either way i see a lot of condi trapper rangers in ranked so i guess there is something i'm not seeing or just trying to hop in the condi wandbagon.

I still like better Power variant as it does better damage so it can pressure on point better to defend or to conquest.

Answering to the OP.Ranger is fine in PvP, the last nerfs didn't impact much the build used.Pve is fine too although you will be just a boon bot in raids with the druid and spirits.

WvW you have no real use. Roaming is dead from very long time ago and even then there are classes much better equipped for squads. I share mindcircus opinion thou, as ranger you can provide more to the team in random zerglings if you know your class. But still not wanted because most of the ranger playerbase don't care to improve.

@"mindcircus.1506" said:In WvW Ranger doesnt have a place in groups not because of it's kit but because the vast majority of Rangers who squad up are so utterly bad and have made a complete meme of the class.Ranger can bring more to a group than many open squad zerglings do. The problem is the vast majority who join squads are absolutely awful, bring nothing to the squad and often play so poorly that it's addition by subtraction.It's the go-to class for players who think that getting carried in a zerg to their GoB is a relevant contribution.It's not Firebrand or Scrapper, but the class itself can bring a few good things to a group.But good luck getting anyone to realize that.... there's a dozen rangers in front of you in soldier's gear using a grizzly who think that LB5 while standing from a wall is "helping".

I'm not posting any videos, stop requesting that. I don't have time rn. I used to do guides way back. A top 30 ranger just did a guide on this stuff (with evidence), and it's enough.

I feel core rangers significantly fell off since the last round of nerfs. I see them everywhere in plat 2, and I just don't feel them being as impactful as they used to be.

Regarding traps, triple trap (with Healing Spring) seriously plateaus and I couldn't break plat 1 with my trapper build. Now I use a Poison Master double trap (HS + poison) with stances, and it's a seriously good side node build. I mostly fight holos, core rangers, weavers, and the cheesy condi thieves with no issues whatsoever.