Playable tengu idea

I'm quite a novice when it comes to the game and so the following idea may include many oversights. However, I just got my warrior to level 80 with access to my elite specializations. I haven't decided on which path to start, mainly because I am still having fun with warrior and feel I have a lot to learn regarding the core play style and the elite spec playstyles don't seem so appealing at the moment. Anyway, this had me think of an idea regarding how a race like tengu could be implemented.

How about a tengu elite spec that allows a player to transform into a tengu in the new expansion?

The reason for this is a lot of people want to play a new race. Criticism against it has to do with re-skinning all existing armor, difficulty in creating a new and in depth playable starter area, etc. etc., which definitely seems like a daunting task. But I think something interesting could be done with the new elite specs while weaving in some interesting lore.

For example. Core warrior would get a new elite spec, something like "Tengu Blademaster" which opens up heavy damage abilities with dual swords and access to a new weapon such as a scythe. Upon almost maxing out the elite spec, the last skill is not unlocked by hero points, a specific story chapter becomes available where some tengu decide to share some of their mysterious culture with you (juicy lore, etc.). Upon completing the story the tengu teach you some ability that allows you to transform into a tengu with no time limit (until log out, etc.) and granting access to new set of utility skills (similar to how a Revenant gets different utilities depending on which legend they channel). Similar things can be done such as the Guardian becoming a "Tengu Guard", an Engineer becoming a "Tengu Arcanist", etc. Upon unlocking this ability, a new panel will appear in the hero equipment panel (much like the mount panel in the dyes panel) where you can equip tengu only armor, allowing for a new range of interesting armors and designs without having to rework all existing armors for tengu and also adding synergy to the specific tengu utility skills.

Anyway, I thought this sounded fun so just decided to share the idea here.

How would an Asura turn into a Tengu and back again? This would be pushing things a bit beyond believable and doesn’t really fit the Elite spec functionality

Elite specs just change fighting style - they don’t change your entire race or solve the myriad of meshing problems to allow players to dress them the way they want.

I have no care whether a race is added or not and am fully understanding if the obstacles Anwt face, but the best (if not easiest) way to add Tengu is to do it properly and add them in as a properly playable race. It would be a nightmare but if they don’t commit to it properly then it is pointless and might as well just add a combat tonic like they did for Kodan

This game doesn't need playable Tengu, or any other race, as race doesn't matter beyond the first maybe five missions of the personal story. Race is a cosmetic choice. Playable Tengu can be solved by a tonic so ANet can use the ressources on something else.

That's neat in theory, but Tonics are a superior option for any transform-related concept (that isn't situation-specific, like a Mount or Glider, or complex costuming, like Outfits). They can be used with any skill and trait combination, and use all pre-existing animations.

If anything, a mechanical Transformation would be detrimental to gameplay, because Transforms are mutually exclusive. Equipping this would prevent you from Mounting up, or using a different tonic, or eating certain foods, or participating in certain Events...