Items On The Gem Store

Hi guys :)

Just a quick question, is it possible to unlock some of the stuff that you find on the gem store (for example, the unlimited logging axes, sickles etc) or do you have to buy them?

Makes sense that you have to buy them with money, as there is no sub fee. But always looking to save a few pennies and do more stuff in-game ;).

Thank you!

Hello, some of it is possible to buy via black lion statuettes which can be indirectly farmed via key farm or you can concert gold to gems to buy black lion keys.I recommend checking the wiki for details.If you complete a non-town map there is around a 20-25% chance for a key as well.Good luck!

In general no, you can't unlock gem store items in-game, but you can farm gold and then use it to buy gems. It's expensive so you probably won't be able to get a lot of stuff that way unless you figure out a way to make huge amounts of gold, but it's an option if there's something you really want and can't afford. (Or if you're anything like me something you want but think is over-priced in real money. I'm a lot less fussy about spending gold because I don't farm so it's basically free money from playing.)

Sometimes it's possible to get certain gem store items for free, but each method is limited to a few specific items. For example the login rewards includes the Chest of Black Lion goods which gives you a gem store consumable, but there's only a few items which can drop from them. You can also get 1 free black lion key per week by doing the level 10 personal story, and then save up the statuettes to get something like a glider or outfit, but that's quite a slow process so again it's not practical to try to get everything that way. Oh and some achievements or PvP/WvW reward tracks include things like Metabolic Primer.

If there's a specific item you want it's always a good idea to check the Wiki to see what your options are, just in case there is another way to get it. But in most cases your only options for gem store stuff is the gem store.