Why does my rev suck so much

I played like 50 rev matches recently. I feel like my tech is better but my performance is super mediocre at like 50%. I could be playing d/p or sagebrand and spawn farming a lot of the players i'm up against and i'm struggling. I've tried zerker, marauder, desolation and retri. Retribution just feels so bad, like a few retaliation procs a fight wow so busted.Is there something obvious i'm missing? It feels like they are just an inferior thief that can deal with some phys damage builds on point slightly longer.

@"PfillBonBon.1928" said:

Is there something obvious i'm missing? It feels like they are just an inferior thief that can deal with some phys damage builds on point slightly longer.

I'll encourage you to take a look at this guide from Vallun of power Rev:

If you want to play the classical Glint/Shiro you should run berserker amulet. Sustain is obtained through protection, life siphoning, blocks & blinds and weakness, with mobility and cc playing a key role.

If you want to play condition Rev, there's at least two viable builds (condi Herald and condi Renegade) and if you want physical tank there's also a few variations of core Rev and Herald using Jalist that can work very well. Being said this, power Rev is mainly a +1 or a team fighter with high mobility, good cleave and excellent cc in small skirmishes, which benefits not playing alone. You shouldn't try to solo thieves or mesmers because most of the time they will beat you, and you shouldn't try to solo everything else (except to defend a node) because the other classes are tanky and even if you can win it takes just too much time, which would be better spent in +1/teamfights.

Life Tip: Whenever you take advice from anyone, consider the source.

All these guys complaining about Rev on the forums, but none of them even have their name on the leaderboard. That should be the first clue.

Second, use your own intuition bro.

You tried Rev yourself and it has obvious shortcomings to you, and you feel your other specs on other classes are stronger. Do you really need somebody to tell you how to live your life? You already found out yourself these guys are smoking crack talking hot shit about Rev. What else do you need to be pointed out??

Stop listening to these randoms on the forums bro and make your own calls. These boys barely know what’s going on themselves.

Buddy above me pointed you to a video from VALLUN about how to play rev.

Vallun barely plays Rev, ask me how I know.

Disclaimer: I'm currently sitting at around G2-G3 so I'm no expert, but I can share a few tips that have helped me see better results when playing rev. Despite what the forums would have you believe, is a difficult class to pick up. The struggle you're having right now is natural, so don't feel discouraged.

One thing that I learned that helped me to start winning more games on Rev is how to kite. Rev has a lot of pressure, but it comes in spurts. You need to learn how to play hit and run. Land your damage, disengage, wait for cooldowns, re-engage, rinse repeat. If you simply hold forward and attempt to mow down your opponent with autos you're going to end up overextending with no CD's and that's a bad place to be. An energy depleted rev is a dead rev.

Learn your matchups. Certain matchups (Ranger, cMirage, Thief) are difficult for Rev. You're weak to conditions in general, so you're going to need to rely on avoiding/evading key skills rather than cleansing. As pRev, Infuse Light is your main panic button against condition burst, so be sure not to waste it.

Rangers can kite you and blow you up from range. When you get close, you've likely blown CDs and energy so they can wreck you with greatsword. It's important not to get frustrated in this matchup and use terrain/LoS to your advantage. When up close and personal, you have good mobility thanks to perma swiftness + Rising momentum. You can use this to bait out maul and go in for big damage. Be careful not to get CC'd by the pet or you're getting CC chained to hell.

Thief can match your mobility and their stolen skill hits for big damage + slow. So be weary of that.

Similar rules apply for Crev, but kiting is even more important. Mallyx is very energy intensive, so you'll want to dip in and out between bursts. By doing so you force the opponsing team to chase if they want to focus fire you. This gives your torment ample opportunity to work its magic. It does more damage if the opponent is moving, so this forces them to either stand still and allow you to gain your distance/wait for CD's or chase and take bonus damage.

Additional tips:

If playing Ret rev, you apply weakness when disabling an enemy. Use this to your advantage when fighting power specs. it also acts as a cover condi if playing crev.

The bubble on heal is a life saver against rangers. You can use this to heal up and reset if you find yourself on the recieving end of a rapid fire.

You have freedom to move while using Sword 3. Use this to stay within 450 range of your opponent during the windup, or the skill will fail to activate properly

Burst of strength is a significant source of damage, so don't toss it out willy nilly. Try your best to land it.

If fighting a CC heavy comp (LR weaver, FB, Warrior) Consider running Core Crev with Jallis/Mallyx. The pulsing stab from inspiring reinforcement is invaluable, especially when the ele pops tornado. You can single-handedly prevent someone from being 100-0'd in CC.

That's all that comes to mind. If there are any more knowledgable Revs out there, I'd appreciate if you call it out if any of the tips I gave are incorrect. This is based on personal experience/what has helped me start climbing.

Hope this helps.

@JayAction.9056 said:

Buddy above me pointed you to a video from VALLUN about how to play rev.

Vallun barely plays Rev, ask me how I know.

Vallun main is Thief. He's currently in the top 50 of the ranking and has over 30k matches; I saw his pie of classes usage in PvP and I'm pretty sure that He has a FEW THOUSANDS matches played as Revenant. I'm pretty sure that He can play in platinum any class in the game, including power Revenant (which due their role in PvP has strong resemblances with the Thief playstyle).

I would have post videos of some other top Revenant players (which main the class) as Aka Cryptic or Tubby TwoTon but they play mostly WvW roaming and don't post much content lately. Most of the top PvP Revs aren't very active sharing their gamaplay (there's few exceptions) but since the Vallun video helped me and is amongst the most recent (up to date) power Rev video and is very concise in terms of explaining how the build works, why He choses some traits over others and how to optimize the performance in the matches I judged the video as flawless to people which struggle playing the class.

But I'll be glad to see and share any videos from you about the topic. Because seems like you entered in the thread no to help the creator to play the class better, but to discourage him from playing it. He's struggling, asks for help, you advice him to resign. That sounds awesome /s.