Should there be player housing in GW2?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to have a house which I can decorate, I always loved it when I played Ultima Online. There was house in Black Desert too I just used it for the sake of making my own house rather than the benefits it would give me. It's nice to have one and it makes the game more personal. It should not be mandatory, lets say it could be used fashionwise. So this way it would not have any impact to the gamepay.

well yeah i'm totally agreed that it's needed in game. would take players more deeply into a game and also make the possibilities for AN to earn some money on a store selling unique items for house or predetermined themes for it. like idea for both - gamers and devs is profitable, don't see why there's still no movement towards that in game from 2012. hope they have some plans for that.just also thing to do it properly - is to not let players mess to much with it like in archeage so the esthetics othe game will be saved.

I don't know. We have guild halls for guilds. Home instance for the players.If housing ... then only instanced and not costing extra upkeep. (But maybe payment once to buy it.)

Home instances could offer a plot. (I'd also like a library - could be added to the house then.) Yeah ... instanced and with additional drops would be nice.Further upgrades to the home instance would be preferred though. I can see a big house with outside garden and stuff. That would exist in the home instance itself without another own instance. Wold need big change to the home instances

I wanna play cat chess with my cats. :D (Using them as chess figure. :D )

We have player houses (home instance) and guild houses (guild halls); Let's focus on that shall we ? I would love for home instances to have more free stuff, right now, I never go in, I made a garden plot with chef, but its totally useless as I can't buy seeds that is behind a paywall; then we got those chests from HoT but you hardly need to go home instance for that, you can just go to the maps and find them just as easely. So for now, I'm always on the lookout for cash heavy players that upgraded everything in the home instance with gems...

I think we need to take this as a fashion. Other than being "useful" like some home instances or guild etc. Being fashion, it would not be mandatory and people who wants to build a home could do that and as a person who works on game developing like myself, I can easily say that this is by no means a big deal. Just some artists working on modeling and skinning.Hence it should not have any impact on game mechanics, it would not need any extensive programming either, only base code like "if/then". And lets be honest, such simple things are not a big work on the Anet staff to work on. And I bet the art department has not a big project on their hands either. So sparing 2 or 3 guys on a "lets make a home" project won't stress their abilities on any part.And as a side note to those who say the devs should concentrate on more important matters like lag etc. this has nothing to do with the art department, so for them to conceptualise some houses and work on them is not a big deal of work which is urgently needed somewhere else. People should realise that there are different departments in game development and that they have different pipelines of work and time schedules. So its not an extra and hard work for the dev team to make this real.

@Fuchu.3946 said:We have player houses (home instance) and guild houses (guild halls); Let's focus on that shall we ? I would love for home instances to have more free stuff, right now, I never go in, I made a garden plot with chef, but its totally useless as I can't buy seeds that is behind a paywall; then we got those chests from HoT but you hardly need to go home instance for that, you can just go to the maps and find them just as easely. So for now, I'm always on the lookout for cash heavy players that upgraded everything in the home instance with gems...

You can't decorate (or change besides adding nodes and cats) the home ini and the guild halls don't have any cozy houses that would make sense to decorate as such.Imo the first step towards housing would be adding a GH decoration that is actually a house. You can place the house anywhere in the GH and decorate its interior with tables, chairs, beds, etc.

We kinda already do have player housing with the Home instance(s) which you can get various Nodes for (Such as Gathering nodes or LW nodes)

The only thing that's really missing from them is the ability to decorate them and some ameneties that would be useful (Such as a Bank, TP access, Crafting stations, the WP dude who lets you travel to any City etc) - Though, such things are hard to implement, given that they sell tickets to places like the ship in Gendarran Fields that have all the ameneties for Gems (In the form of temporary access no less. While the Home Instance TP they sell for Gems is permenant)

That is, unless they start selling stuff like "2 Week Bank Access Ticket" to let you have these ameneties temporarily...

But at that point, you're basically paying more just to have a slightly different background to the airship/lily of elon (Which, to be fair, LoE is permenant too making Airship tickets pointless anyway...)

Beyond that, and for purely cosmetic stuff... They'd have to implement the groundwork to allow for placing of objects in the home instances. Presumably they'd also have to figure out if they want Home Instances to be character specific or account wide as well as if they'd let you put the same item in all Home Instances or just the one races (Meaning to fill out all 5 races Home Instances, you'd have to buy 5x everything you wanted across each of them) and THEN they'd have to spend time developing the items to put into them.

Given that they're producing more Outfits these days because making individual armour sets is "Too much work" (Due to Light/Medium/Heavy armour having different frames while Outfits are a 1-Frame-Fits-All deal) I'm not sure if they'd be able to justify the work needed to get such a thing going.

I vote yes, but with the caveat that it's not a priority, and should be built into the home instance if there can't be, say, a separate zoned suburb for us to easily check out other's homes.Problem is Anet is clearly big on keeping this a multiplayer game with a strong emphasis on social engagement and housing doesn't really add to that. Costumes? Sure. Housing? More of a private venture.
So while I wouldn't mind having a real-money sink that allows me to flex my creative muscles, I'm not going to be disappointed if it never happens.

I think Housing is Anets chance to finally implement more interesting Loot in this game.

Because Anet has chosen for horizontal progression I always found the loot in the game pretty meh. Get your Ascended(either gold or time spent harvesting, nothing interesting there) and then it's "pretties" all the way. The entire loot system is centered around mats for crafting(a form of gold mostly) and then "pretties": high value items like certain Mini's, Infusions and stuff like Sam to finish some Achievement for a few AP. Most of the latter are insanely rare, and very hard to farm for, so it is basically a Lottery, where the prize ends up on the TP most of the time since many people do not give a hoot about Mini's (or infusions for that matter, like me).

I will admit right away that Housing is just another "pretty" in the game, like skins, Mini's and infusions, but it is the sort of system where they could infuse thousands of new items into the world: crafting mats (common ---> ultra rare), recipes (common ---> ultra rare) and finished Items (common ---> ultra rare), without effecting the powercurve of characters (just like mini's and AP and such). Anet could then tweak the rarity of this loot, and whether an item is sellable on the TP or bound on pickup. Even if only 15% of people would become seriously occupied with Housing, it would be an enormous boost for the Economy. Just because you can add SO much stuff when it comes to housing.

We have already established that a simple Crab can carry an entire Chain Hauberk as loot in this game so wouldn't it be cool if we could loot a rare recipe for a Chesterfield Couch from it too?

@Luthan.5236 said:I don't know. We have guild halls for guilds. Home instance for the players.If housing ... then only instanced and not costing extra upkeep. (But maybe payment once to buy it.)

Home instances could offer a plot. (I'd also like a library - could be added to the house then.) Yeah ... instanced and with additional drops would be nice.Further upgrades to the home instance would be preferred though. I can see a big house with outside garden and stuff. That would exist in the home instance itself without another own instance. Wold need big change to the home instances

I wanna play cat chess with my cats. :D (Using them as chess figure. :D )

Well, home instances can be just turned into player housing.

I am now voting 'YES' but only if

1. It is a proper house. Not an instance everyone has. A proper house you can walk round and see- houses that others can walk into, and you can see other houses.
  2. You can upgrade your house. Be it with gold or by crafting.
  3. New crafting profession, i want to craft my beds, chairs, tables! Cupboards for extra storage.
  4. Store is full of wall papers, furniture, and themed items.
  5. I am guaranteed that I will not lose my house in the event of any server changes ie mergers.
  6. IT gives you buffs or an incentive to own one.

I like the ideal of having someone else to work for other than weapons and armours. Hell at this moment in time if it meant gathering wood and metal and making it form scratch i would.A little homestead with a farm for my mounts. Or a tree house in the jungle. or a hut in the mountains with a log burning fire.And here's the thing - you can choose to do it! Yeah it might cost 10k wood to do a basic house, but no one will force you!

I mean what do people want if every thing people suggest is scoffed at?

I said it, will say again, I'm ready to spend gems to get an additional house plot or whatever.https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/813832#Comment_813832 my thought on the topic.

I definitely think, they should stop giving "fake" upgradable instance like eye of the north, home instance, sun refuge... and dive finally in a real housing system.Keep the home instance because tied to story, but add a new asura gate in each city leading to our home or a place to host homes.Inspire yourself with scribing, but it way far more easier. You want a table, you use 4 dowel and 3 planks, nothing more! No need to lose players with expensive mats, scribing kits and linseed.... Sorry to take that example but it is the closest thing I can think of: Animal crossing:You have an empty plot, you choose with an npc the appearance of your house based on the 5 races and 3 options for each.You craft furnitures on a workbench following schematics. The furniture is then stored in inventory as consumable item.Once you click on it, you can place it like you would place a deco in guild hall.Monetization? Unlock nodes, Asura gates, Garden, two additionnal plots.....

Well check the link if you want to know more.

If they dont revamp Guild halls to be desirable, then yes. Otherwise no, some housing functions could easily be implemented into Guild halls, up to and including bed furniture, and usable furniture, we have examples of that already. The problem is that they're too few to be housing related, and guild halls do not function as the hub they should be.

@Dami.5046 said:I am now voting 'YES' but only if

1. It is a proper house. Not an instance everyone has. A proper house you can walk round and see- houses that others can walk into, and you can see other houses.
  2. You can upgrade your house. Be it with gold or by crafting.
  3. New crafting profession, i want to craft my beds, chairs, tables! Cupboards for extra storage.
  4. Store is full of wall papers, furniture, and themed items.
  5. I am guaranteed that I will not lose my house in the event of any server changes ie mergers.
  6. IT gives you buffs or an incentive to own one.

I like the ideal of having someone else to work for other than weapons and armours. Hell at this moment in time if it meant gathering wood and metal and making it form scratch i would.A little homestead with a farm for my mounts. Or a tree house in the jungle. or a hut in the mountains with a log burning fire.And here's the thing - you can choose to do it! Yeah it might cost 10k wood to do a basic house, but no one will force you!

I mean what do people want if every thing people suggest is scoffed at?

you can add recipes to the current crafting professions for furniture

Home instance never lived up to this, likewise Guildhalls are too shared and most of us don't get to play with the decorations.Suns refuge also let me down by not becoming this as well and now we have Eye of The North too which is an upgrade is still not the home hub I want it to be.. and probably never will be due to it being a public location.

So yes I still want my "player house" experience where I have all my home instance upgrades along with the ability to decorate as I please and show off things like my favourite weapon and armour skins, achievements and statues of my characters etc to people I invite in there.Basically I want something that is a combination of the Home Instance in Gw2 and the Hall of Monuments in Gw1 with the decorating capabilities of Guildhalls.