My current feeling about PVP

Ryo.5824

Heavy Armor Classes: One shot glass cannons (yes berserker its you. Don't look away), and oh yeah ofc Herald how can I forget about you.Light Armor Classes: Best tanks ever! Unkillable elementalists, mesmers with a million clones absorbing damage and necromancer with two lives.Mid Armor Classes: Wait what they exist in pvp?Lol Firebrand is actually the minority here.Just a noob here, posting this because I'm very confused as in the current PvP meta. Just finding it very counter intuitive here. Thought that HEAVY armor classes are supposed to be tanky and light armor classes are the glass cannons.Also what are the mid armor classes actually supposed to do in conquest, they seem to be the worst ones to do standing fights.

@"Ryo.5824" said:Heavy Armor Classes: One shot glass cannons (yes berserker it's you. Don't look away), and oh yeah ofc Herald how can I forget about you.Light Armor Classes: Best tanks ever! Unkillable elementalists, mesmers with a million clones absorbing damage and necromancer with two lives.Mid Armor Classes: Wait what they exist in PVP?Lol Firebrand is actually the minority here.Just a noob here, posting this because I'm very confused as in the current PvP meta. Just finding it very counter-intuitive here. Thought that HEAVY armor classes are supposed to be tanky and light armor classes are the glass cannons.Also what are the mid armor classes actually supposed to do in conquest, they seem to be the worst ones to do standing fights.

Tankiness doesn't always=better sustain, especially if you consider thieves mes and weaver mobility. Right now necro is tankier because the damage was reduced enough that they can actually survive bursts, and the ability to 1 shot was reduced. I heard classes like necro with that amount of toughness are necessary for the game, not sure if it's true, but it seems to be a counter to high glass burst classes, which in the past everyone was going for with mobility, and it was unable to do its job due to a combination of power crept damage sustain and mobility.

And heavy armor class can be fairly tanky too, just look at those guardians, they are able to put aegis and prot and all sorts of stuff.

As for whether "Other classes" require nerfs to their tankiness, I can't say.

If you want to talk about guardians being super tanky and problematic, you will need to find someone who's an experienced PVPER.

@"Axl.8924" said:Tankiness doesn't always=better sustain, especially if you consider thieves mes and weaver mobility. Right now necro is tankier because the damage was reduced enough that they can actually survive bursts, and the ability to 1 shot was reduced. I heard classes like necro with that amount of toughness are necessary for the game, not sure if it's true, but it seems to be a counter to high glass burst classes, which in the past everyone was going for with mobility, and it was unable to do its job due to a combination of power crept damage sustain and mobility.

And heavy armor class can be fairly tanky too, just look at those guardians, they are able to put aegis and prot and all sorts of stuff.

As for whether "Other classes" require nerfs to their tankiness, I can't say.

If you want to talk about guardians being super tanky and problematic, you will need to find someone who's an experienced PVPER.I feel that Guardians are the only heavy armor class that can be tanky... I'm not really having that much problems about Guardians at all actually, more like feeling weirdly about how all light armor classes being the best damage absorbers.If any problem I shall have, it'd be how mid armor classes seem to have a natural disadvantage in conquest.

@Tayga.3192 said:It's GW2, classes are balanced around having heavy/middle/light armor.

Holo is still #1 sidenoder.Thief is viable roamer.Ranger is viable sidenoder.

Of course every class is viable. But it seems like mid classes tend to have tougher times when performing the most important action in conquest: capping the point. What seems to me is that they seem to not be able to fight head on as well as heavy/light armored classes. Maybe that's called low sustain? I'm not too sure about the professional words, its just a feeling I have.

@Ryo.5824 said:Of course every class is viable. But it seems like mid classes tend to have tougher times when performing the most important action in conquest: capping the point.Or helping someone else cap the point, as roamers do.

What seems to me is that they seem to not be able to fight head on as well as heavy/light armored classes. Maybe that's called low sustain? I'm not too sure about the professional words, its just a feeling I have.Holo is actually very high sustain but in general, yes. Medium armor is not for node holding but for rotating around the map.

@Tayga.3192 said:

@Ryo.5824 said:Of course every class is viable. But it seems like mid classes tend to have tougher times when performing the most important action in conquest: capping the point.Or helping someone else cap the point, as roamers do.

What seems to me is that they seem to not be able to fight head on as well as heavy/light armored classes. Maybe that's called low sustain? I'm not too sure about the professional words, its just a feeling I have.Holo is actually very high sustain but in general, yes. Medium armor is not for node holding but for rotating around the map.

Does that mean mid armored classes only functions with good teammates?

Ranger and holo are pretty sustainable both medium armor, guard and Rev and even warrior (maybe not now but when well played) can sustain well too

All heavy armor

Mesmer and necro are actually squshiy, they get a lot of dmg, necro can sustain because of shroud but in general are they taking enaugh dmg, if you focus out a mesmer, they can fight for a long time but you will get the note if you care and always attack the correct one, he will maybe not die, because of blink and stealth but you can do enaugh pressure to get the note

@Ryo.5824 said:Heavy Armor Classes: One shot glass cannons (yes berserker its you. Don't look away), and oh yeah ofc Herald how can I forget about you.Light Armor Classes: Best tanks ever! Unkillable elementalists, mesmers with a million clones absorbing damage and necromancer with two lives.Mid Armor Classes: Wait what they exist in pvp?

They follow the Hollywood rule: armors are useless and always have been this way.Tankiness/sustain in this game is more related to skills (blocks, blinds, protection, weakness debuff... ) or placement/mobility (evades, i-frames, disengagement...) or mitigation (barrier, regeneration, healings...) than raw atributes alone. Plus toughnes/armor is ignored by conditions. Being said that: you can build very tanky armor plate users in GW2 (the boneback of any WvW zerg is made of heavy armor users), is just that in PvP you use the class builds which performs the best for a given role, and if happens that bunker eles are better at tanking and zerker heralds are better at bursting that are the roles you will see the most...

@Ryo.5824 said:Heavy Armor Classes: One shot glass cannons (yes berserker its you. Don't look away), and oh yeah ofc Herald how can I forget about you.Light Armor Classes: Best tanks ever! Unkillable elementalists, mesmers with a million clones absorbing damage and necromancer with two lives.Mid Armor Classes: Wait what they exist in pvp?Lol Firebrand is actually the minority here.Just a noob here, posting this because I'm very confused as in the current PvP meta. Just finding it very counter intuitive here. Thought that HEAVY armor classes are supposed to be tanky and light armor classes are the glass cannons.Also what are the mid armor classes actually supposed to do in conquest, they seem to be the worst ones to do standing fights.

Hi! Welcome to GW2!

Part of it is your misconception of what classes should be as well as what they really are in this game. You're new, so that's perfectly understandable.

For example, those weavers. They can be frail, old-man-with-a-staff types, but obviously they can be other things as well. Sword and dagger weavers can be quite tanky without actually running a lot of passive stats. A little extra vitality is really all I need to feel comfortable with sword weaver in PvP.

So what is it about my sword weaver that I can take an amulet that only offers vitality, end up with less health than some classes have baseline, yet appear to be tankier than they are? The answer is that it's all in the skills. Sword/focus is a very strong defensive kit while staff is not and the traits and utilities you take for each playstyle are usually very different as well.