Tome of Knowledge

@Endless Soul.5178 said:

@The Mighty Crossbow.2971 said:Does anyone else think this is given way too often? I think Anet needs to tone down how many they give out if at all any.

As a PvE only player, I can honestly say they don't drop often enough. I wish I could buy them on the Trading Post.

OMG, so much this. I don't play the other game types and I always wish I had more tomes. Also seem to never have transmutation charges

I don't think having too much of a thing is a big deal. I have too much ascended currency from HoT maps and I dislike throwing them away but it's a very minor inconvenience and would be worse for the game to significantly tone them down just for my sake.

Personally I'll never run out of uses for Tomes provided that laziness doesn't catch up with me. When I get more than a full stack I start leveling my weely keyrun character to 80 and get additional keys from the Lv40 and 60 PS, one from LS2, and one from HoT (I only do HoT because I still need Auric and Chak weapons, and the exotics from Hearts and Minds isn't too much further than the key). When I have less than a full stack I tend to hold off and let them accumulate whilst only doing Lv10 Key run.

I wouldn't be opposed to finding Tomes more often in PvE (they really do accumulate quickly in PvP/WvW, but you'll see very few in PvE). This is one case where I'd like to see Mastery reward tracks in PvE that could be set to reward Tomes (among other things) in place of Spirit shards.

A 'Use all' option might be useful for Tomes (though I could see people mistakenly using a full stack of 250 when trying to level a character and mistakenly converting most to Spirit shards). Even just an NPC to convert 1 tome to 1 spirit shard so that you can do full stacks at a time may help to clear up excess tomes (I know, Spirit shards aren't that useful either but if you truly want neither the tome nor the shard, just toss them).

like others in this thread, I too wish they were more common from PvE content than they are. The only reliable source of them in PvE is from story completion, which rewards 5 Tomes of Mentorship... essentially the same thing, just without the ability to convert to spirit shards after level 80... I've got several characters left that I'd like to use tomes on to power level, but tomes are so scarce from PvE content.

@Endless Soul.5178 said:

@The Mighty Crossbow.2971 said:Does anyone else think this is given way too often? I think Anet needs to tone down how many they give out if at all any.

As a PvE only player, I can honestly say they don't drop often enough. I wish I could buy them on the Trading Post.

I agree. I wish I could buy them somewhere. Can't get enough of them.

There are way too many of these in the game. Between daily log in chests, PvP and WvW rewards they pile up, and fast. Add to that the birthday level up scrolls and you'll be sitting on well over 100 of them easily. Since I have no reason to buy another character slot, nor do I plan on key farming they are just taking up space in my inventory. Its basically a reward with no purpose for me at the moment.

I get it, ANet wants people to drop money on character expansion slots, but this is honestly getting a bit ridiculous. There needs to be another use for these things in game. Can I get WvW levels from burning these? Something??

**Caveat: By some use for them I also don't mean some mystic toilet gambling nonsense either. Like a real use.

***Also, I know I can turn them into spirit shards. Swimming in those as well at the moment.

If you're asking for fewer tomes then you are asking for a reduction in the ones coming from PvP/WvW because PvE only gets you a very few. Since PvP/WvW players use tomes to level chars (seeing as PvP and WvW doesn't give XP) then asking for a reduction hurts your fellow PvP/WvW players. What you should instead be asking for is not a reduction in the number of tomes but more uses for them. For example, more things to get with Spirit Shards or waypoint unlocks (with the understanding that that char will not get map completion rewards or a Gift of Exploration if it unlocks wps with tomes).

Be careful what you ask for. ANet might give it to you.

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:i can never get to many of them, i am to much an altaholic.

I still want so much more alts. Every race/class combination and maybe every race/class and gender combination as well in the future <3

Every combination of Race/Class/Gender is currently not possible on a single account - max character slots are 70-something while that would take 90 characters.

Reading this topic makes me think the best solution would be to make them tradable. That way people who have too many could sell them to people who don't have enough. And I think it would be a relatively simple change for Anet to make.

Of course the problem then is if one group is much bigger than the other. Too many people selling tomes and they become worthless, making them once again an inadequate reward. Too many people buying and the price is prohibitive. Although that's less of a problem because you can always get XP in other ways.

Archived