Gift of Battle — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Gift of Battle

Hello! I would like to share a little bit of my code in Guild Wars 2 with you. I'm here specifically to discuss an idea I had about purchasing the "Gift of Battle" item. As I had previously posted here on the forum regarding the acquisition of my first legendary weapon, I had lost 200 mystic coins (I turned 230 mystic coins to get only 30 mystic clovers, but I'm gradually recovering from that). But now another wall has appeared on my journey (it seems that the more I try to find the strength to craft my legendary weapon, the more I find problems and reasons to give up). I had already said that I am not familiar with going to WVW for a sad reason. See the reason:

Note that I'm playing ranger (soulbeast) to try to facilitate the gameplay, but even so it is impossible to play.
It's super difficult to get this Gift of Battle, that's when I thought: "Why is there only one way to get this item? Why not create another way to get this item?"
I beg you, please give us another way to get the Gift of Battle, because the WVW system is too heavy and inaccessible to me. It doesn't have to be easy and simple, but if there was another way to get this item, it would make it easier for many players like me and it would not cause a wave of anger, disappointment and stress. Thanks for listening!

<1

Comments

• HAsAsIN.6724HAsAsIN.6724 Member ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2020

200++ mystic coins is a lot of gold even now in the current market. just play at your own pace, join a zerg in primetimes or learn to solo karma train ppt (level 6) WvW (and use all the reward track boosters | "do the counters for boosters still stop when you exit wvw?") @ offtimes and the clovers will just come naturally, assuming that the acquisition of the thing that you need the mystic clovers for is not that urgent.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

People have asked for 8 years and it will not change because legendaries were meant to cross modes.

Remember - you have one item to get wvw done in and the reward track now is actually easier to get the gift than back in the day when pve players grinded kills or the wvw JPs for tokens. WvW players often find themselves crossing into pve to get things for precursor collections.

Try and do it a bit at a time - don't do it in a grind or it'll feel worse if you hate wvw. Boosts, dailies - all there to help you do it in doses

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Mutisija.5017Mutisija.5017 Member ✭✭

slap some boosters on yourself, avoid other players, do whatever events you can, and just do the bare minimum to keep the rewards flowing in.

but honestly i really wish it would get changed. nobody really benefits from the current arrangement. people who enjoy wvw have to deal with presence of players who have zero interest in being there, and people who hate wvw have to torture themselves just to get the gift of battle. my own experiences from wvw when i was getting my gift of battle were so awful that i basically feel nauseous just from thinking about wvw.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@lummuss.6850 said:
    Hello! I would like to share a little bit of my code in Guild Wars 2 with you. I'm here specifically to discuss an idea I had about purchasing the "Gift of Battle" item. As I had previously posted here on the forum regarding the acquisition of my first legendary weapon, I had lost 200 mystic coins (I turned 230 mystic coins to get only 30 mystic clovers, but I'm gradually recovering from that). But now another wall has appeared on my journey (it seems that the more I try to find the strength to craft my legendary weapon, the more I find problems and reasons to give up). I had already said that I am not familiar with going to WVW for a sad reason. See the reason:

Note that I'm playing ranger (soulbeast) to try to facilitate the gameplay, but even so it is impossible to play.
    It's super difficult to get this Gift of Battle, that's when I thought: "Why is there only one way to get this item? Why not create another way to get this item?"
    I beg you, please give us another way to get the Gift of Battle, because the WVW system is too heavy and inaccessible to me. It doesn't have to be easy and simple, but if there was another way to get this item, it would make it easier for many players like me and it would not cause a wave of anger, disappointment and stress. Thanks for listening!

An 8 hour (without buffs) reward track vs the GoE which minimally is 20-25 hours of game play.

How about... No

Thank You for the {MEME}

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

That's some painful low FPS in WvW man..

I'm not sure if what you're experiencing is the lag issues that people have been complaining about for a while now or if it's just that your computer is struggling to handle so much going on.

I can offer some advise though.
    If it's possible for you, try and get on WvW during low population hours.
    This was one of the main reasons I didn't come across the horrendous lag others were talking about.
    If you can do that then complete as many easy dailies as you can for a couple of weeks, Capturing Monuments, Camps, killing Guards, Defending locations.. these are all really easy to do and sometimes so are Capturing Towers and Keeps if there are small groups or Coms running around.
    The dailies will reward you with potions of WvW exp that will help you complete reward tracks.
    You can also get the WvW exp buff from your Guildhall too if you have access to the right vendor, this also helps complete it faster.

I started doing dailies in WvW a little while back and hording the Potions so i'll never have to worry about Gifts of Battle again, honestly I misjudged just how easy they are to get with this method.
    Atm I have 2 gifts sitting in my bank and over 300 Poitons.. and that's only going to keep going up due to how rarely I need the gifts >.<
    I've actually started casually completing different reward tracks now just because there are armour and weapon skins in them I don't have.
    I expect regular WvW players probably have hundreds of gifts and thousands of potions saved away for a rainy day.. probably the reason why Anet never made Gifts of Battle tradable which I would completely understand now.
    They'd be practically worthless on the TP most likely.. where as the Gift of exploration would probably cost hundreds of gold.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Excursion.9752 said:
    I do not see this changing. They used to be on vendors way back when the gift of exploration was tied to WvW map completion. They cost about 500 badges of honor. If i remember correctly.

There was also a point where you needed rank 14 to purchase. In a way that is worse than the current reward track since getting rank 14 could take longer than the 8 hours for a reward track(without any sort of boost) but that depends on how many you needed.

• mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

@lummuss.6850 said:

Why not show us a similar recording of you at Chak Gerent...or Dragonfall...or Tarir?
    You don't need to be in a zerg to get your GoB. Being in a group does not speed up reward track gain...go solo it on an empty Borderland.

• lummuss.6850lummuss.6850 Member ✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020

it's not that I don't like WVW, I just think it would be interesting if I had another way to get the Gift of Battle. Because the WVW system is the only one in the game that I can't play, whenever I encounter crowds (an average of 20 players), my game crashes completely. Different in some maps of season 4 (which is often up to 8 fps). There should be another way to acquire this, even if it costs time, money, skills, but it is accessible and lightweight for any player. I believe that many cannot even play on WVW for the same reason (it requires a lot of the computer).

• lummuss.6850lummuss.6850 Member ✭✭

Anyway, I appreciate the tips. Every tip is always welcome.

@lummuss.6850 said:
    it's not that I don't like WVW, I just think it would be interesting if I had another way to get the Gift of Battle. Because the WVW system is the only one in the game that I can't play, whenever I encounter crowds (an average of 20 players), my game crashes completely. Different in some maps of season 4 (which is often up to 8 fps). There should be another way to acquire this, even if it costs time, money, skills, but it is accessible and lightweight for any player. I believe that many cannot even play on WVW for the same reason (it requires a lot of the computer).

In your own post you admit to getting unplayable frame rates on S4 PvE maps, and then you say "the WVW system is the only one in the game that I can't play".
    Pick one.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020

Play edge of the mist hardly more then 1-10 players there and you can take everything you can by your self then do other things while you wait for the map to reset.
    If its newly reset you dont even have to fight sentry points just go and take them.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Strider Pj.2193 said:
    Also: obligatory ‘please see the other 27 threads on the forum. Please use the forum search function’.

Dang it... I can’t do that as well as @kharmin.7683

Well done. ;)

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

You really don't need to be near other players to complete a WvW Reward Track. It's faster, but you can just do the easy Dailies, and you'll eventually finish the track.
    I played for years on a computer that never got more than 20 FPS, and more often than not had single-digit FPS.

• The current method of getting the Gift of Battle is fine as it currently is. I'm not a big fan of WvW or Pvp in this game, but I still do them to get these items, do to the fact that legendaries in a sense show mastery of the game as a whole and not just a particular part of it. That's why legendaries are mostly just cosmetic and just as powerful as an ascended item. They are meant to be made over time; not to be rushed. Take your time getting this Gift and by the time you make that legendary, it will feel much more rewarding.

The only gifts I personally think need to be changed are the map completion gifts or they should release a gift that can be bought with in-game currency that is character bound, which can only be bought with a character that has finished the map completion. That's coming from a player that mostly plays one character, but that is a discussion for another day. So just do WvW little by little, do the big spender daily when it appears, and you will get it eventually. Struggle through it and it will feel much more rewarding.

@Fang Wolfika.6820 said:
    The only gifts I personally think need to be changed are the map completion gifts or they should release a gift that can be bought with in-game currency that is character bound, which can only be bought with a character that has finished the map completion.

So you think there should be the capability to earn credit for Map completes without Map completing?
    lol... please... start a thread and convince me.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Fang Wolfika.6820 said:
    The current method of getting the Gift of Battle is fine as it currently is. I'm not a big fan of WvW or Pvp in this game, but I still do them to get these items, do to the fact that legendaries in a sense show mastery of the game as a whole and not just a particular part of it. That's why legendaries are mostly just cosmetic and just as powerful as an ascended item. They are meant to be made over time; not to be rushed. Take your time getting this Gift and by the time you make that legendary, it will feel much more rewarding.

The only gifts I personally think need to be changed are the map completion gifts or they should release a gift that can be bought with in-game currency that is character bound, which can only be bought with a character that has finished the map completion. That's coming from a player that mostly plays one character, but that is a discussion for another day. So just do WvW little by little, do the big spender daily when it appears, and you will get it eventually. Struggle through it and it will feel much more rewarding.

If buying gift of exploration is fine in your eyes then why is not the others like for example gift of battle fine aswell?

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020

If your FPS is that low you should consider an addon to increase it.

You didn't say your operating system so I'll assume Windows, where you can use either dx12pxy or D9VK addons with GW2 to get about double the FPS if your hardware supports either DX12 or Vulkan, respectively.

Also, play around with the settings alot. Don't just assume that "Low" will always be better on a setting. Different graphics cards are optimised for different things, and some are terribly optimised for old tech, so you can actually get worse FPS by lowering settings.

As for Gift of Battle, you'll rarely encounter other players with EoTM. Just take a few guildmates and do PvE there.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay | Mains Mariyuuna/Tempest(PvE), Terakura/Spellbreaker & Kitty Koume/Reaper(WvW) | ♀♥♀

• Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020

Any desktop quad core Intel CPU / AMD Ryzen CPU and low midrange GPU (GTX 650 Ti Boost /660/760/960/1060 or newer , Radeon HD 7850 GCN / Navi RX series after) since the launch of the game should be getting more than that unless it's a full on map blob.
    What are the specs on the machine?

If you haven't already, use the 64-bit client. WvW used to have many more crashes when people ran out of RAM+VRAM limit.

@Voltekka.2375 said:t.
    And now pve has them. I sincerely hope they improve things

Which might be the final trigger

Thank You for the {MEME}

• I think it's a bad decision to force people into WvW if they want to participate in the endgame of getting a legendary. In an era where players often get to choose between PvE and PvP as to which way they would like to achieve their goals, it is painstaking for someone like me who doesn't like PvP at all to have to endure this. And I know because I tried on multiple occasions, I just don't see the joy in fighting other players. Never have.

I just spend my first hours in WvW mostly being killed by large groups of enemies on mounts, while I was trying to keep up with an experienced group of players, in which I failed obviously. I didn't really get anywhere and had a hard time surviving (even though I'm experienced with Raids and fractals). It's sad to see that where in PvE you encounter alot of helpfull players, this is not how things work in PvP. If you're new or unexperienced you can act as a bait.

It would be very nice to have ArenaNet think about new options for players who really like PvE to think of a way to obtain Gift of Battle and be able to get to a point where other players can get as well.

• Shadowmoon.7986Shadowmoon.7986 Member ✭✭✭

@gEddeh.8152 said:
    I think it's a bad decision to force people into WvW if they want to participate in the endgame of getting a legendary. In an era where players often get to choose between PvE and PvP as to which way they would like to achieve their goals, it is painstaking for someone like me who doesn't like PvP at all to have to endure this. And I know because I tried on multiple occasions, I just don't see the joy in fighting other players. Never have.

I just spend my first hours in WvW mostly being killed by large groups of enemies on mounts, while I was trying to keep up with an experienced group of players, in which I failed obviously. I didn't really get anywhere and had a hard time surviving (even though I'm experienced with Raids and fractals). It's sad to see that where in PvE you encounter alot of helpfull players, this is not how things work in PvP. If you're new or unexperienced you can act as a bait.

It would be very nice to have ArenaNet think about new options for players who really like PvE to think of a way to obtain Gift of Battle and be able to get to a point where other players can get as well.

There is a way, scout. Find a commander who needs a scout. They can put you in a share participation squad, and just report back if an enemy is attacking the structure you wa as scouting.

• Voltekka.2375Voltekka.2375 Member ✭✭✭✭

@gEddeh.8152 said:
    I think it's a bad decision to force people into WvW if they want to participate in the endgame of getting a legendary. In an era where players often get to choose between PvE and PvP as to which way they would like to achieve their goals, it is painstaking for someone like me who doesn't like PvP at all to have to endure this. And I know because I tried on multiple occasions, I just don't see the joy in fighting other players. Never have.

Is it ok to force people to get gift of exploration?

• Tails.9372Tails.9372 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020

I always see people complaining about how players just want everything to be "dumbed down" but no one seems to take an issue with the fact that you can get almost a compleate set of legendary gear for doing nothing but the most menial tasks in WvW which make > 50% of OW PvE look dificult by comparison. If you take issue with that at least be principled about it.

Is it ok to force people to get gift of exploration?

Who exactly is forced to get a gift of exploration? Last time I checked you could just buy a gen 1 legendary weapon from the TP no problem. Has this changed recently?

• Super Hayes.6890Super Hayes.6890 Member ✭✭✭✭

I got mine back when you could get it via badges of honor. I see no reason why that method needed to go away. The current method isn't terrible but I prefer the old way.

The next time you get angry at someone try walking a mile in their shoes. After that, who cares! You're a mile away and you have their shoes! -Someone with more awesome quotes than me

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Super Hayes.6890 said:
    I got mine back when you could get it via badges of honor. I see no reason why that method needed to go away. The current method isn't terrible but I prefer the old way.

My assumption is that they wanted to bring it back to the old way where players crafting legendary weapons had to do WvW in some manner.

• saerni.2584saerni.2584 Member ✭✭✭✭

@lummuss.6850 said:
    Anyway, I appreciate the tips. Every tip is always welcome.

Reward tracks, quickly, require you to get your participation up to tier 6 and maintain it. Easiest method is to either follow a commander, getting kill credit on players and objectives to put you at maximum pretty quickly.

You may also want to use boosters, some of which you can get from birthday rewards, for example, to boost reward track progress per tick.

If you want to run solo, you can try to solo camps and sentries on borderland maps. Those can, depending on server, be more empty than Eternal Battlegrounds. But, you may find that hard to handle if you aren’t experienced with pvp in general. You probably won’t have the same 355 ping issue in a borderland at least so that should make it easier.

A piece of general advice, take it slow. Legendaries are prestige items that show dedication to the game as a whole. They take time and grind and some more than others. If you take it too much at a time you will burn out. That Gift of Battle reward track comes with Mystic Clovers. You don’t have to just get the Gift out of it. Look at it as an exercise in saving yourself some money and frustration on clovers as well as a path to the required item.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
    Deadeye (Thief)
    Commandant of P/D and Apex Predator

edited May 16, 2020

@Voltekka.2375 said:
    So, since you can buy a gen 1 from tp, how is GoB an issue?

How do you know he's talking about making a gen 1 legendary? Regardless, it's a flawed comparison because every legendary which requires GoE can be bought from the TP and gold can be earned pretty much everywhere. You're not "forced to do" anything specific. The same does not hold true for GoB.

• Voltekka.2375Voltekka.2375 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2020

@Tails.9372 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:
    So, since you can buy a gen 1 from tp, how is GoB an issue?

How do you know he's talking about making a gen 1 legendary? Regardless, it's a flawed comparison because every legendary which requires GoE can be bought from the TP and gold can be earned pretty much everywhere. You're not "forced to do" anything specific. The same does not hold true for GoB.

How do you know I was only talking about a gen1 legendary? The equivalent of GoE for gen2 are maguuma gifts. Can those be bought?

@Voltekka.2375 said:
    How do you know I was only talking about a gen1 legendary?

Because GoE is only relevant for gen 1 leg weapon creation.

@Voltekka.2375 said:
    The equivalent of GoE for gen2 are maguuma gifts. Can those be bought?

No but that's beside the point.

• Mini Crinny.6190Mini Crinny.6190 Member ✭✭✭✭

if you want another option you can always just buy the legendary if it's gen1

• TPMN.1483TPMN.1483 Member ✭✭✭

I wonder what happens when the OP decides they would like the legendary conflux ?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Conflux

Requires 4 Gift of Battle and 6 weeks for 20+ hrs of WvW -)

🤣

@Tails.9372 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:
    How do you know I was only talking about a gen1 legendary?

Because GoE is only relevant for gen 1 leg weapon creation.

@Voltekka.2375 said:
    The equivalent of GoE for gen2 are maguuma gifts. Can those be bought?

No but that's beside the point.

How is it ‘besides the point’?

Still ‘forcing’ (OPs and others description not mine) people to do an area they ‘hate’ in order to get it.

It’s an Apt comparison.

I would also gauge it takes longer than 8 hours to get the magnums gifts.

Thank You for the {MEME}

edited May 17, 2020

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Because the topic was GoE, that "just buy it from the TP" doesn't apply to gen 2 legs should be obvious.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:
    Still ‘forcing’ (OPs and others description not mine) people to do an area they ‘hate’ in order to get it.

I personally don't mind if it's done for specific stuff but things are definitely not equal. Both WvW / sPvP specific legendaries are way less restrictive in terms of what you have to do inside their respective gamemodes to earn them and I don't think there are any WvW or sPvP specific legendary items which require you to go into PvE (exept for throwing cash at some vendors). Both Aurora and Vision however require you to play WvW.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Only if you don't know what you're doing, the worst part are arguably the HPs but they shouldn't be that much of an issue for experienced sPvP / WvW players.

@Tails.9372 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Because the topic was GoE, that "just buy it from the TP" don't apply to gen 2 legs should be obvious.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

I personally don't mind if its done for specific stuff but things are definitely not equal. Both WvW / sPvP specific legendaries are way less restrictive in terms of what you have to do inside their respective gamemodes to earn them and I don't think there are any WvW or sPvP specific legendary items which require you to go into PvE (exept for throwing cash at some vendors). Both Aurora and Vision however require you to play WvW.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Only if you don't know what you're doing, the worst part are arguably the HPs but they shouldn't be that much of an issue for experienced sPvP / WvW players.

And the GoB takes 4-5 hours.,,. With boosters and a little research

Thank You for the {MEME}

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Tails.9372 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Because the topic was GoE, that "just buy it from the TP" don't apply to gen 2 legs should be obvious.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

I personally don't mind if its done for specific stuff but things are definitely not equal. Both WvW / sPvP specific legendaries are way less restrictive in terms of what you have to do inside their respective gamemodes to earn them and I don't think there are any WvW or sPvP specific legendary items which require you to go into PvE (exept for throwing cash at some vendors). Both Aurora and Vision however require you to play WvW.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

And the GoB takes 4-5 hours.,,. With boosters and a little research

Seems to be roughly equal then.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Half that....tops

• Jayden Reese.9542Jayden Reese.9542 Member ✭✭✭✭

Some players are really fast at map complete. I'll take way longer and that's after using my heroics to skip all the hero points.

If you really want to make it fast there are some tools which provide assistance so it shouldn't be that much of a problem even if you've never done it before.