Guide to lock GPU Clock for AMD NAVI Users (5600xt/ 5700/ 5700xt) — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home

Guide to lock GPU Clock for AMD NAVI Users (5600xt/ 5700/ 5700xt)

Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭
edited May 26, 2020 in Account & Technical Support

Hello!

Most of you were facing low FPS during non GPU intensive games, stutters, idle GPU clocks during gameplay and other things which you don't want to see your Navi GPU doing when playing games.

I've found a way to prevent Navi GPUs from down-clocking during games no matter how high is GPU load for AMD NAVI Users (5600Xt, 5700, 5700xt).

The fix to lock GPU down-clocking is quite simple. Please read through the guide and refer to to the linked pic as an example.

Please note - i'm using AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 20.4.2 Beta driver. I haven't tested this on other versions.

The frequency set for each power state needs to be within 50 Mhz of each other, but not lower than a value of 10 Mhz (and not the same frequency as this will cause a driver lock or crash and revert). This will lock your GPU clock. Your GPU will no-longer down-clock, regardless of utilisation.

You need your voltage to be the same for the 3 power states in Wattman

Don't touch memory overclocking or the power tuning section - this will produce stutters and your memory frequency will fluctuate.. Edit your fan curve to ensure adequate cooling and you're good to go.

Refer to the linked image as an example. Choose a frequency and voltage that works for you ( and one that's stable etc )

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h80hs035jylfbhz/New Bitmap Image.bmp?dl=0

Any questions let me know

I run my RX5700xt at 1924 MHz - it still boosts to 2150 MHz but never goes under 1924 MHz now.

BTW any NAVI user should be running the D912Dxpy with GW2. The performance bump is large... https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy

Enjoy !

Comments

• is this safe for a n00b to do?

• Mack.3045Mack.3045 Member ✭✭
    edited May 17, 2020

Hi, you can select a more conservative gpu clock if you like following the same process in the guide. If you have any issues you can reset settings in both wattman and afterburner

• KrHome.1920KrHome.1920 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2020

@Regimentz.3471 said:
    is this safe for a n00b to do?

Changing voltages with a 3rd party progam like Afterburner is never safe. You should know what you are doing when touching voltages.

If you want to minimize the risk of damaging hardware then use Wattman which limits you to very moderate voltage regulations. It's pretty much impossible to damage your GPU with Wattman (which is not surprising as AMD would be stupid when they would give their customers a tool to destroy their GPUs).

edited May 18, 2020

@KrHome.1920 said:

@Regimentz.3471 said:
    is this safe for a n00b to do?

Changing voltages with a 3rd party progam like Afterburner is never safe. You should know what you are doing when touching voltages.

If you want to minimize the risk of damaging hardware then use Wattman which limits you to very moderate voltage regulations. It's pretty much impossible to damage your GPU with Wattman (which is not surprising as AMD would be stupid when they would give their customers a tool to destroy their GPUs).

That's incorrect. Voltage limitations are built in the card's Vbios..... Neither Afterburner or Wattman can go over this limit .....

Bump for visibility and fellow Navi users :)