Expansion: Title name? And release date guesses?

With the announcement of an expansion planned, what do you think the title of it will be, and when do you think it will be released?

My guesses:

Guild Wars 2: Lands of Legends

I chose Lands of Legends because it has a little bit of alliteration, and not only rolls off the tongue when saying it, but "GW2: LoL" is very memorable in terms of an acronym/abbreviation, and 'Lands of Legends' gives the sense that, as a player, you're going to explore places that were mentioned in past times, and those places, are quite literally, the lands of legends/from the past. That's IF this expansion is going to be Canthan based. If it isn't going to be Canthan based, then it won't make much sense.

Release date guess:September 23, 2020

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Empire of the Dragon is predictable given its roots in GW1 as a name for Cantha and a bit unoriginal but my mind goes there. It’s hard to say at this point. I really hope you’re right about the date but I think more like summer 2021

@"Zaoda.1653" said:With the announcement of an expansion planned, what do you think the title of it will be, and when do you think it will be released?

My guesses:

Guild Wars 2: Lands of Legends

I chose Lands of Legends because it has a little bit of alliteration, and not only rolls off the tongue when saying it, but "GW2: LoL" is very memorable in terms of an acronym/abbreviation, and 'Lands of Legends' gives the sense that, as a player, you're going to explore places that were mentioned in past times, and those places, are quite literally, the lands of legends/from the past. That's IF this expansion is going to be Canthan based. If it isn't going to be Canthan based, then it won't make much sense.

Release date guess:September 23, 2020

I would say your date is way to early. By September the current living world season won’t be finished.

With Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire already ... something like X of Y would make sense. "Factions of Cantha" maybe? Well ... they might play a big role. If it really is set in Cantha. I mean afaik the factions were a main thing in GW1 and even used for PvP while here they could make something similar to the orders in core tyria. Some story with 2 different paths. Maybe PvP-like "activities" with the 2 factions opposing each other.

ETA: June 2022Title: Liberation of Cantha

Why this title:

• It has been closed off by the Risen ships and the Empire of the Dragon - free the people ! (too soon ?)

Why this Date :

• Virus.
  • Marketing will take a full year to tease, release and ooze out into the public domain. They will want to do a teaser at the next big game event in person - which is unlikely to be this year due to a virus. PAX East dates are around Feb-March which would need a big publicity release.
  • Voice Actors - they will need to schedule these and they are likely to be busy, right now they are unavailable due to some lock-downs.
  • Release date for summer - when people have more spare time to play and also go on holidays.

If the Virus clears up, we may get an accelerated date into 2021 at some point - I doubt ANET will release a full expac without voice actors.

If any xpac is delayed, this allows anet to throw a bone on some of those other aspects of content, including fractals, pvp, wvw and polish items up a bit before release.

@Zaoda.1653 said:Release date guess:September 23, 2020You do realize that they've just started working on it, and that it takes around 2 years to make an expansion?I'd say that the most likely date is somewhere in summer/autumn 2022(their usual release dates were around october/november, but autumn 2021 seems to early. I'd think that the fastest it could be ready would be Q1 2022)

X of Y makes alot of sense as a base structure, however, I think Lands of Legends doesn't work.

The first 2 expansions were called Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire. Both (in my opinion) have some relation to the elder dragon which has been the focus of the expansion. Heart of Thorns (obviously) is related to Mordremoth, Path of Fire kinda reminds me of the term "branded", which is related to Kralkatorrik. Path of Fire was the built up for our encounter with Kralkatorrik and he was an important factor in the story alongside Balthasar.

So I think the new expansion should have a title that relates to the Deep Sea Dragon, which is most likely going to be the dragon we will encounter in that expansion in some way. I like the idea that the dragon got captured by the Canthan empire, which try to use it's power for their own goals, tho.

Back to topic: I think the name could turn out something like "Wake of Power"

My Guess is the Deep sea Dragon is going to be showing up in this expansion, So the name will probably be similar to Heart of Thorns, Path of Fire.. so Something of Water/Sea/Ocean

Release date, I'd hope for it to be spring/summer 2021. I don't see it coming this year especially given the global circumstances.

@coso.9173 said:

@coso.9173 said:i think 2021 is the year we'll get it, it's clear 2020 is too soon, but this is supposed to come right after this saga ends.They never said that.

Maybe not directly. But with the backslash they had with season 5, you think they'll risk another season 6 before the expac? I really doubt it.It's not whether they want to risk the backlash. It's about when they can get the expac ready. They've just started working on it, we won't see it for at least 18 months to two years. Not unless you want a half-size, unfinished, untested release anyway.So, they could: have a year-long content drought, extend season 5 to run for a year or so longer than planned, or release a season 6. Neither of those choices is going to impact release date though - you can't release what you don't have.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@coso.9173 said:i think 2021 is the year we'll get it, it's clear 2020 is too soon, but this is supposed to come right after this saga ends.They never said that.

Maybe not directly. But with the backslash they had with season 5, you think they'll risk another season 6 before the expac? I really doubt it.It's not whether they want to risk the backlash. It's about when they can get the expac ready. They've just started working on it, we won't see it for at least 18 months to two years. Not unless you want a half-size, unfinished, untested release anyway.So, they could: have a year-long content drought, extend season 5 to run for a year or so longer than planned, or release a season 6. Neither of those choices is going to impact release date though - you can't release what you don't have.

but we don't know for sure they just started working on it, maybe they had already some work on it, as what was going to be originally season 6, but now it has to be ready all at the same time. we don't have that info.the only thing we can kind of guess is that the backslashj for season 5 not being an expac is what made them decide to work on a new expac.